|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What creature did Orwell see a surprising abundance of in the coal mine?
2. Who were the only permanent lodgers at the Brookers?
(a) Mr. Reilly and a man named Joe.
(b) Mr. Reilly and Mr. Simons.
(c) Mr. Reilly and Mr. Orwell.
(d) Mr. Reilly and the Irish miner with one hand.
3. How did Orwell come to understand the discrepancies in pay for miners?
(a) By interviewing miners.
(b) By working with the payroll departments.
(c) By studing pay checks and bank accounts.
(d) By listening to talk around the lunch table.
4. Who was Old Jack?
(a) An ex-miner, 80 years old, whose left hand had been severed in a mining accident.
(b) An ex-shopkeeper, around 80, who retired and sold his shop.
(c) An ex-miner, 78 years old, who worked for over fifty years in the coal pits.
(d) An ex-soldier, 75 years old, whose legs were both amputated after a battle.
5. Where was Orwell's bed in his room at the Brooker's house?
(a) Against a dresser.
(b) In the center of the room.
(c) On the east wall.
(d) In the right hand corner nearest the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did each of the permanent lodgers get for their ten shillings a week rent?
2. What is "traveling?"
3. What was offered a very few of the miners in the better built mines?
4. Why did men chew tobacco in the mines?
5. To what did Orwell compare the sound of the conveyor belt in the mine?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)