|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were "cream crackers?"
(b) Potato chips.
(c) Fried bread.
2. What other types of expenses were taken from the miner's pay?
(a) Insurance, lamp rental, union fees.
(b) Insurance, uniform rental, hospital fees.
(c) Hospital fees, tools, uniform rental.
(d) Uniform rental, tools, union fees.
3. When they had something to eat, what did the fillers consume?
(a) A hunk of bread and drippings, and a bottle of cold tea.
(b) A large sandwich and pickles, and a bottle of cold tea.
(c) A large pan of hot cereal and a bottle of cold tea.
(d) A hunk of meat and gravy, and a bottle of cold tea.
4. What is a "gob fire?"
(a) A cigarette fire.
(b) A coal fire.
(c) A spontaneously generating fire.
(d) A spontaneous heat problem.
5. How long were the fillers on the job during their shifts?
(a) Eight hours with half an hour for lunch.
(b) Seven and a half hours with no break.
(c) Seven hours with two twenty minute breaks.
(d) Six hours with no benefits.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what point did Orwell leave the Brooker's boarding house?
2. In a year, how many minors are killed at work?
3. What was the most understandable cause of accidents in a mine?
4. How did Orwell describe the meals at the Brooker's house?
5. What did miners tell Orwell about why they ate less than he did at a meal?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)