|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first thing a miner does when he comes up from the mine?
(a) Drinks large quantities of water.
(b) Strips off his shirt and wipes his face.
(c) Gargles water to get the coal dust out of his nose and mouth.
(d) Goes home to bathe.
2. What is one superstition miner sometimes hold to?
(a) It is bad luck to kiss a woman goodbye before going into the mines.
(b) It is bad luck to carry a photograph of one's children into the mines.
(c) It is bad luck to see a woman before going to work in the morning shift.
(d) It is bad luck to wear red into the mines.
3. How far under the ground was Orwell when he reached the bottom of the mine?
(a) Four hundred yards.
(b) Seven hundred feet.
(c) Four thousand feet.
(d) Four thousand yards.
4. What were newspaper canvassers?
(a) They were door-to-door salesmen selling newspaper subscriptions.
(b) They were door-to-door pollsters for the political candidate.
(c) They were door-to-door advertisement salesmen.
(d) They were door-to-door surveyers for the census.
5. At what time of year does the coal industry slack off?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Orwell come to understand the discrepancies in pay for miners?
2. Who did most of the cooking and laundry at the Brooker house?
3. What was the average distance between the pit bottom to the coal face?
4. Who wrote "The Coal Scuttle?"
5. Why did men chew tobacco in the mines?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)