|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were the only permanent lodgers at the Brookers?
(a) Mr. Reilly and the Irish miner with one hand.
(b) Mr. Reilly and Mr. Orwell.
(c) Mr. Reilly and a man named Joe.
(d) Mr. Reilly and Mr. Simons.
2. How did Orwell react to the train moving into the countryside?
(a) He was sad to be leaving his home.
(b) He was happy to be seeing his family again.
(c) He was confused as to where the train was headed.
(d) He was happy to be out of the dark and dirty city.
3. How did the Brookers view the two old age pensioners that lived in their house?
(a) They thought of them as dreadful parasites living on their charity.
(b) They did not think of them at all as long as they paid their rent.
(c) They thought of them as two old, quiet men bothering no one.
(d) They thought of them as a danger because they smoked in bed.
4. How many people shared the bedroom in which Orwell slept at the Brookers?
5. Upon what did Orwell believe our civilization is based?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did D. H. Lawrence come to Orwell's mind as he rode the train?
2. Who was Emmie?
3. What did Orwell urge the reader to realize about the coal miner?
4. To what man did Orwell compare the coal miner?
5. In what position must the fillers work?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)