|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were "cream crackers?"
(c) Fried bread.
(d) Potato chips.
2. To what man did Orwell compare the coal miner?
(a) To the oil man.
(b) To the machine driver.
(c) To the plowman.
(d) To the banker.
3. What is "traveling?"
(a) Going up and down in the elevator.
(b) The unpaid time it takes to crawl through the tunnels to the job site.
(c) Getting to and from the mine from the miner's home.
(d) The unpaid time it takes to get from the job site to the eating area.
4. Who was Emmie?
(a) Orwell's sister.
(b) The fiance of a son living in London.
(c) The maid hired to come in weekly.
(d) The neighbor who complained bitterly about the Brookers.
5. What is a cage?
(a) A steel box in which coal is transported to the surface.
(b) A steel box that is lowered at a fast rate into the caverns of the mine.
(c) A steel box in which supplies and personal belongings are kept.
(d) A steel box in which the foreman rides through the caverns.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the major difference between a mile above ground and a mile in the pit bottom?
2. What kind of shop was attached to the Brooker's boarding house?
3. At what point did Orwell leave the Brooker's boarding house?
4. In what position must the fillers work?
5. Who was Mr. Reilly?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)