|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the major difference between a mile above ground and a mile in the pit bottom?
(a) You were not able to hear anything in the pit bottom.
(b) You could not measure distance in the pit bottom.
(c) You could not stand upright in the pit bottom.
(d) You could not return the same way.
2. What was done with the unusable shale inside of the mines?
(a) It was left in the mine in empty mine shafts.
(b) It was brought to the surface and dumped into "dirt-heaps."
(c) It was taken away by large trucks and brought to lakes and rivers.
(d) It was added to the coal and processed.
3. What was the only quality associated with hell that was not in the coal mine?
(d) Foul air.
4. What did each of the permanent lodgers get for their ten shillings a week rent?
(a) A couch in a living area, a shared bath, and one meal a day.
(b) A bed in the attic and meals that were mostly bread and butter.
(c) A bedroom, a shared bath, and two meals a day.
(d) An attic room, a toilet, and one meal a day.
5. How many people shared the bedroom in which Orwell slept at the Brookers?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who were the fillers?
2. How far under the ground was Orwell when he reached the bottom of the mine?
3. What physical attributes did the fillers share?
4. At what point did Orwell leave the Brooker's boarding house?
5. For what did the Brookers purchase insurance policies?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)