|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon what did Orwell believe our civilization is based?
2. What did Orwell urge the reader to realize about the coal miner?
(a) "Miners have families just like other people."
(b) "Miners are not all stupid people not deserving of an education."
(c) "Miners are people too."
(d) "Because miners sweat their guts out, superior people can remain superior."
3. What were "cream crackers?"
(a) Potato chips.
(d) Fried bread.
4. Who did most of the cooking and laundry at the Brooker house?
(a) Mrs. Brooker's daughter-in-law and future daughter-in-law.
(b) A neighbor hired by Mrs. Brooker.
(c) Mrs. Brooker's son and his wife and kids.
(d) Mr. Brooker's sister.
5. What did the fillers wear?
(a) Thin drawers, clogs and knee pads.
(b) Shorts, light tee shirts and clogs.
(c) Shorts, light tee shirts and knee pads.
(d) Long cotton pants and clogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was done with the unusable shale inside of the mines?
2. How did D. H. Lawrence come to Orwell's mind as he rode the train?
3. What creature did Orwell see a surprising abundance of in the coal mine?
4. How far under the ground was Orwell when he reached the bottom of the mine?
5. Who were the only permanent lodgers at the Brookers?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)