|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What creature did Orwell see a surprising abundance of in the coal mine?
2. With what phrase did all of Mrs. Brooker's complaints end?
(a) "I just as well die tonight!"
(b) "It do seem unfair, don't it?"
(c) "I hate it all, all I say."
(d) "It does seem 'ard, don't it now?"
3. Why did men chew tobacco in the mines?
(a) It was a deterrent to thirst.
(b) It was good for headaches.
(c) It was medicinal.
(d) It was a stimulant.
4. Upon what did Orwell believe our civilization is based?
5. How did Orwell describe Mrs. Brooker?
(a) An anxious faced, obese invalid.
(b) A beautiful, tall seductress.
(c) An overweight, jolly woman.
(d) A jolly, industrious woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mr. Brooker do while grumbling that it was "women's work?"
2. Who was Emmie?
3. What was the major difference between a mile above ground and a mile in the pit bottom?
4. How many people shared the bedroom in which Orwell slept at the Brookers?
5. What was the only quality associated with hell that was not in the coal mine?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)