|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, 11, and 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Comrade X?
(a) A member of the C.P.G.B. and an author.
(b) A member of the N.W.P. and an author.
(c) A member of the A.C.L.U. and a politician.
(d) A member of the R.S.V.P. and a politician.
2. Who was John Galsworthy?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A playwright.
(c) A revolutionary.
(d) A poet.
3. Why were the industrial towns in England so ugly and noxious?
(a) The people were so poor they threw trash in the streets and did not paint their houses.
(b) The mayors did not enforce local laws of trash and smoke abatement.
(c) The government had given up helping this area of the country to deal with their filth.
(d) The modern methods of steel construction and smoke abatement were unknown.
4. What four words did Orwell discuss in detail as the reason for class distinctions?
(a) The lower class smell.
(b) The upper-middle class cheat.
(c) The middle class lie.
(d) The upper class steal.
5. What did many of the old timers believe about miners washing their legs?
(a) Washing causes lumbago.
(b) Washing is for women only.
(c) Washing causes ulcers.
(d) Washing is bad luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1918, what was the general feeling throughout England?
2. How was unemployment viewed by people in the late twenties and early thirties in England?
3. How was the coal miner getter paid?
4. How did D. H. Lawrence come to Orwell's mind as he rode the train?
5. What is "buttons down the back?"
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)