|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, 11, and 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the major difference between a mile above ground and a mile in the pit bottom?
(a) You could not measure distance in the pit bottom.
(b) You were not able to hear anything in the pit bottom.
(c) You could not stand upright in the pit bottom.
(d) You could not return the same way.
2. What is the cause of the great majority of accidents in the mine?
(a) Gas explosions.
(b) Human error.
(c) Fall of a roof.
(d) Gob fires.
3. When Orwell said he was "advocatus diaboli" what did he mean?
(a) He was certain the devil was keeping the masses away from Socialism.
(b) He was being the devil's advocate for the sake of argument.
(c) He did not really believe in Socialism.
(d) He knew the devil was in the details of the propaganda campaigns.
4. In 1918, what was the general feeling throughout England?
(a) One of conservatism due to the war.
(b) One of understanding due to the war.
(c) One of uncertainty due to the war.
(d) One of revolutionary thought due to the war.
5. How did Orwell come to understand the discrepancies in pay for miners?
(a) By listening to talk around the lunch table.
(b) By working with the payroll departments.
(c) By studing pay checks and bank accounts.
(d) By interviewing miners.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the first sounds Orwell heard in the morning when he woke at the Brookers?
2. What did Orwell think was the "ugliest town in the Old World?"
3. In a year, how many minors are killed at work?
4. How many people shared the bedroom in which Orwell slept at the Brookers?
5. Who wrote "Erewhon?"
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)