|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, 11, and 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Orwell learn had happened to Wigan Pier?
(a) It was converted into a caravan park.
(b) It was turned into a diner.
(c) It was a myth and never existed.
(d) It had been demolished.
2. Who was the typical Socialist of the late 1930's in England?
(a) A woman.
(b) A member of the middle class.
(c) A member of the lower class.
(d) A man.
3. Who wrote "Erewhon?"
(a) Samuel Butler.
(b) Jonathan Swift.
(c) Jacob Dylan.
(d) George Bernard Shaw.
4. What is "buttons down the back?"
(a) A joke miners play on each other.
(b) A death story told to novices just entering the mines.
(c) Permanent scabs on vertebrae from scraping the spine on beams.
(d) The type of shirt worn to keep dust from getting into clothing.
5. Which towns did Orwell note for their approach to tearing down slum housing and rebuilding?
(a) Liverpool and Manchester.
(b) Liverpool and Yorkshire.
(c) Liverpool and London.
(d) Liverpool and Sheffield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does every miner have a blue scar on his nose and forehead?
2. What is a cage?
3. Why did Orwell's parents eventually forbid him to play with certain children in the neighborhood?
4. Who was Mr. Reilly?
5. With what, according to Orwell, is socialism inextricably connected?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)