|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10, 11, and 12.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is nystagmus?
(a) A nose disease.
(b) An eye disease.
(c) A lung disease.
(d) A heart disease.
2. What does "back to back" mean?
(a) Two houses built as one, one upstairs, one downstairs.
(b) Two houses built as one, front house faces the street, back house faces the alley.
(c) Two houses separated by a brick wall.
(d) Two houses combined to make one large house.
3. How does a machine evolve in Orwell's opinion?
(a) By becoming more efficient and more foolproof.
(b) By becoming obsolete.
(c) By becoming more streamlined and smaller.
(d) By achieving perfection.
4. How did Orwell describe Mrs. Brooker?
(a) A beautiful, tall seductress.
(b) A jolly, industrious woman.
(c) An anxious faced, obese invalid.
(d) An overweight, jolly woman.
5. Who did the work in the house of a married unemployed man?
(a) The man helped by maintaining the living and dining rooms.
(b) The couple split the chores in half to get more free time together.
(c) A woman: the man did not help with any household tasks.
(d) The man helped with certain chores such as washing dishes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the average size of one of the dwellings?
2. In one town, what was built instead of public housing the town desperately needed?
3. Where did Orwell first go to sleep with the beggars and criminals of the working class?
4. What could happen to cause a miner to lose one or two days pay?
5. In Orwell's opinion, what was one way the working class man differed from the middle class man?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)