|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were "cream crackers?"
(a) Potato chips.
(c) Fried bread.
2. With what phrase did all of Mrs. Brooker's complaints end?
(a) "I just as well die tonight!"
(b) "I hate it all, all I say."
(c) "It do seem unfair, don't it?"
(d) "It does seem 'ard, don't it now?"
3. How did Orwell come to understand the discrepancies in pay for miners?
(a) By working with the payroll departments.
(b) By studing pay checks and bank accounts.
(c) By interviewing miners.
(d) By listening to talk around the lunch table.
4. To what man did Orwell compare the coal miner?
(a) To the plowman.
(b) To the machine driver.
(c) To the banker.
(d) To the oil man.
5. Upon what did Orwell believe our civilization is based?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "gob fire?"
2. What was the major difference between a mile above ground and a mile in the pit bottom?
3. What author accused miners of gluttony?
4. In what position must the fillers work?
5. Who was Emmie?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)