|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what did the Brookers purchase insurance policies?
(a) They insured each other.
(b) They insured their home and shop.
(c) They insured the lives of both old age pensioners.
(d) They insured their children.
2. What did Orwell say the fillers looked like?
(a) Hammered metal sculpture.
(b) Wooden soldiers.
(c) Slaves in Egypt.
(d) Hammered iron statues.
3. According to Mrs. Brooker, who was "at Canada?"
(a) Many of her aunts and uncles.
(b) Many of her children.
(c) Many of her former boarders.
(d) Many of her husband's relatives.
4. How does a miner bathe after dinner?
(a) In a hot bath tub.
(b) With a basin of water and a washcloth.
(c) In an outdoor shower.
(d) In a tub outside in the yard.
5. What was one "perk" given to miners that was actually off-set by transportation costs?
(a) Free tool sharpening.
(b) Bonus for on-time work.
(c) Reduced cost of the coal for their houses.
(d) Bonus for meeting coal goals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was done with the unusable shale inside of the mines?
2. What point was Orwell making in his explanation of the coal miner's pay?
3. What did Mr. Brooker do while grumbling that it was "women's work?"
4. Where was Orwell's bed in his room at the Brooker's house?
5. Why does every miner have a blue scar on his nose and forehead?
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)