|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does every miner have a blue scar on his nose and forehead?
(a) The blue is a bruise.
(b) Coal dust reacts with the nasal passages.
(c) Coal dust enters the wound and the skin grows over it.
(d) Every miner hits his nose and forehead sometimes.
2. What is the first thing a miner does when he comes up from the mine?
(a) Gargles water to get the coal dust out of his nose and mouth.
(b) Drinks large quantities of water.
(c) Goes home to bathe.
(d) Strips off his shirt and wipes his face.
3. What was one "perk" given to miners that was actually off-set by transportation costs?
(a) Reduced cost of the coal for their houses.
(b) Free tool sharpening.
(c) Bonus for meeting coal goals.
(d) Bonus for on-time work.
4. Who was Mr. Reilly?
(a) One of Orwell's roommates who was a mechanic at the mine.
(b) One of Orwell's friends in London.
(c) One of Orwell's roommate who was war veteran.
(d) One of Orwell's colleagues from college.
5. How was the coal miner getter paid?
(a) By the ton extracted from the mine.
(b) By the week.
(c) By the coalcar load.
(d) By the hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did miners tell Orwell about why they ate less than he did at a meal?
2. At what time of year does the coal industry slack off?
3. What did Old Jack say every night when he went to bed?
4. How far under the ground was Orwell when he reached the bottom of the mine?
5. What physical attributes did the fillers share?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)