|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did D. H. Lawrence come to Orwell's mind as he rode the train?
(a) He looked at a beautiful girl.
(b) He met a passenger whose name was Lawrence.
(c) He looked out over snow-covered hills.
(d) He was reading a book of poetry.
2. What did many of the old timers believe about miners washing their legs?
(a) Washing causes lumbago.
(b) Washing is for women only.
(c) Washing is bad luck.
(d) Washing causes ulcers.
3. How did Orwell describe Mr. Brooker?
(a) A small boned, angry, crippled man.
(b) A dark, sour, small boned, filthy man.
(c) An aggressive, manly, attractive fellow.
(d) An ugly, offensive, odd smelling man.
4. What author accused miners of gluttony?
(a) Rev. B.W. Smith.
(b) Rev. W. R. Inge.
(c) Rev. W.D. Acres.
(d) Rev. W. S. Bellows.
5. What is the cause of the great majority of accidents in the mine?
(a) Fall of a roof.
(b) Gob fires.
(c) Human error.
(d) Gas explosions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "dataller?"
2. How did Orwell react to the train moving into the countryside?
3. How did Orwell come to understand the discrepancies in pay for miners?
4. In a year, how many minors are killed at work?
5. What did Mr. Brooker do while grumbling that it was "women's work?"
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)