|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a miner comes up from the pit, why does he appear to be pale?
(a) Because of the foul air he has been breathing.
(b) Because he is exhausted.
(c) Because he is thirsty.
(d) Because he has not been in the sun.
2. With what phrase did all of Mrs. Brooker's complaints end?
(a) "It does seem 'ard, don't it now?"
(b) "I just as well die tonight!"
(c) "It do seem unfair, don't it?"
(d) "I hate it all, all I say."
3. What was the major difference between a mile above ground and a mile in the pit bottom?
(a) You were not able to hear anything in the pit bottom.
(b) You could not stand upright in the pit bottom.
(c) You could not measure distance in the pit bottom.
(d) You could not return the same way.
4. How did the Brookers view the two old age pensioners that lived in their house?
(a) They did not think of them at all as long as they paid their rent.
(b) They thought of them as dreadful parasites living on their charity.
(c) They thought of them as two old, quiet men bothering no one.
(d) They thought of them as a danger because they smoked in bed.
5. Upon what did Orwell believe our civilization is based?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Orwell find hopeful about the unemployed men he met?
2. When the Corporation cleaned out the slums and moved its occupants, where did it build housing for them?
3. What was one "perk" given to miners that was actually off-set by transportation costs?
4. How did Orwell say he was received by the people he spoke with about their housing?
5. What was the only quality associated with hell that was not in the coal mine?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)