|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the number of people underfed in England based on Orwell's calculations?
(a) Over eleven million.
(b) Over ten million.
(c) Under seven million.
(d) Over twenty million.
2. When a miner comes up from the pit, why does he appear to be pale?
(a) Because of the foul air he has been breathing.
(b) Because he has not been in the sun.
(c) Because he is exhausted.
(d) Because he is thirsty.
3. What were "cream crackers?"
(a) Potato chips.
(b) Fried bread.
4. Which towns did Orwell note for their approach to tearing down slum housing and rebuilding?
(a) Liverpool and London.
(b) Liverpool and Manchester.
(c) Liverpool and Sheffield.
(d) Liverpool and Yorkshire.
5. What was done with the unusable shale inside of the mines?
(a) It was added to the coal and processed.
(b) It was left in the mine in empty mine shafts.
(c) It was taken away by large trucks and brought to lakes and rivers.
(d) It was brought to the surface and dumped into "dirt-heaps."
Short Answer Questions
1. In order to calculate the actual number of people living on unemployment in England, what would one need to do?
2. Who wrote "The Coal Scuttle?"
3. In one town, what was built instead of public housing the town desperately needed?
4. Who were the only permanent lodgers at the Brookers?
5. What author accused miners of gluttony?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)