|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Orwell say the fillers looked like?
(a) Hammered iron statues.
(b) Hammered metal sculpture.
(c) Slaves in Egypt.
(d) Wooden soldiers.
2. What did Orwell urge the reader to realize about the coal miner?
(a) "Miners have families just like other people."
(b) "Miners are not all stupid people not deserving of an education."
(c) "Miners are people too."
(d) "Because miners sweat their guts out, superior people can remain superior."
3. At what time of year does the coal industry slack off?
4. Who was Emmie?
(a) Orwell's sister.
(b) The fiance of a son living in London.
(c) The neighbor who complained bitterly about the Brookers.
(d) The maid hired to come in weekly.
5. What did the Socialists think of the occupational centers?
(a) They believed the centers should do more training.
(b) They believed the centers were run by Marxists.
(c) They believed the centers were there to keep the unemployed quiet and hopeful.
(d) They believed the centers were brainwashing men.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a miner comes up from the pit, why does he appear to be pale?
2. In one town, what was built instead of public housing the town desperately needed?
3. What is the first thing a miner does when he comes up from the mine?
4. Who were the fillers?
5. How far under the ground was Orwell when he reached the bottom of the mine?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)