|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the average distance between the pit bottom to the coal face?
(a) Sixty yards.
(b) Seven hundred feet.
(c) A mile.
(d) Two miles.
2. When a miner comes up from the pit, why does he appear to be pale?
(a) Because he is exhausted.
(b) Because he has not been in the sun.
(c) Because he is thirsty.
(d) Because of the foul air he has been breathing.
3. What was a favorite refuge for the unemployed man in Wigan?
(a) The alleys.
(b) City Hall.
(c) The shopping areas.
(d) The movie theatre.
4. What did Orwell find hopeful about the unemployed men he met?
(a) They relied on each other for food and money.
(b) They could talk about their experiences and learn from them.
(c) They had not gone to pieces spiritually.
(d) They continued to exerecise in case work should come available in the mines.
5. What were "caravan dwellings?"
(a) Trailers that were brought in after the war for housing.
(b) Traveling circus employees' tent cities.
(c) Trailers for the government workers in the city.
(d) Housing set up for criminals.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was the coal miner getter paid?
2. What physical attributes did the fillers share?
3. What was one "perk" given to miners that was actually off-set by transportation costs?
4. What did Mr. Brooker do while grumbling that it was "women's work?"
5. What were the occupational centers of the thirties?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)