|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What percentage of a person's income, whether employed or on unemployment, was given over to rent in Wigan?
(a) One fifth.
(b) One fourth.
(c) One third.
(d) One half.
2. When the Corporation cleaned out the slums and moved its occupants, where did it build housing for them?
(a) Below ground.
(b) Far away from the tenants' employment.
(c) On top of pre-existing housing.
(d) In the center of town.
3. For what did the Brookers purchase insurance policies?
(a) They insured each other.
(b) They insured their children.
(c) They insured their home and shop.
(d) They insured the lives of both old age pensioners.
4. What other types of expenses were taken from the miner's pay?
(a) Hospital fees, tools, uniform rental.
(b) Uniform rental, tools, union fees.
(c) Insurance, lamp rental, union fees.
(d) Insurance, uniform rental, hospital fees.
5. How does a miner bathe after dinner?
(a) In a tub outside in the yard.
(b) In an outdoor shower.
(c) In a hot bath tub.
(d) With a basin of water and a washcloth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Orwell believe the return trip through the tunnels was worse than the initial one?
2. What did Orwell believe every unemployed man should be given if he wanted it?
3. How did Orwell say he was received by the people he spoke with about their housing?
4. According to Mrs. Brooker, who was "at Canada?"
5. To what did Orwell compare the sound of the conveyor belt in the mine?
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)