|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 and 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did miners tell Orwell about why they ate less than he did at a meal?
(a) They have permanently lost their appetites.
(b) They cannot work all day on a full stomach.
(c) Food is available in the mine if they need something.
(d) They are not allowed to use a bathroom.
2. What were the occupational centers of the thirties?
(a) Places men could go to receive testing and training.
(b) Places men could go to start new careers as professionals.
(c) Places men could go to watch television in peace and quiet.
(d) Places men could go to learn carpentry, boot making and other skills.
3. What other types of expenses were taken from the miner's pay?
(a) Uniform rental, tools, union fees.
(b) Insurance, lamp rental, union fees.
(c) Hospital fees, tools, uniform rental.
(d) Insurance, uniform rental, hospital fees.
4. When asked who the top ten greatest men living in 1920, who was most often named in Orwell's school class?
5. What did Orwell cite as a reason class hatred seemed to be diminishing in the late 1930's?
(a) These opinions of hatred were not real anymore.
(b) These opinions of hatred were not in print anymore.
(c) These opinions of hatred were those of only old men.
(d) These opinions of hatred were those of only the upper classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is nystagmus?
2. How does a miner bathe after dinner?
3. What book did Orwell write telling of his experiences in London with the unemployed street people?
4. What point was Orwell making in his explanation of the coal miner's pay?
5. What did Orwell say was the primary preoccupation of a single unemployed man in winter?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)