|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 and 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Orwell reference "Punch" in his discussion of class?
(a) Punch was a sarcastic magazine.
(b) Punch was the weekely magazine read by al classes of people.
(c) Punch often portrayed the middle-class as a figure of fun and joking.
(d) Punch was strongly against the class system in England.
2. What was the most understandable cause of accidents in a mine?
(a) Gas explosions.
(d) Collapsing roofs.
3. What is one superstition miner sometimes hold to?
(a) It is bad luck to carry a photograph of one's children into the mines.
(b) It is bad luck to kiss a woman goodbye before going into the mines.
(c) It is bad luck to see a woman before going to work in the morning shift.
(d) It is bad luck to wear red into the mines.
4. What did Orwell believe every unemployed man should be given if he wanted it?
(a) A patch of land and a cow.
(b) A patch of land and tools with which to grow his own food.
(c) A patch of land and a horse drawn wagon.
(d) A patch of land and one hundred pounds.
5. When asked who the top ten greatest men living in 1920, who was most often named in Orwell's school class?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a "dataller?"
2. In a year, how many minors are killed at work?
3. At what time of year does the coal industry slack off?
4. What author accused miners of gluttony?
5. How does a miner bathe after dinner?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)