|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 and 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What point was Orwell making in his explanation of the coal miner's pay?
(a) They are paid more than the mayor of the town.
(b) They are paid the same as any other laborer.
(c) They are actually paid very little.
(d) They are actually well paid.
2. Why did Orwell have the opportunity to receive an expensive public school education?
(a) He was sent to school by his wealthy uncle.
(b) He was at the school as the guest of the Prime Minister.
(c) He was allowed to attend the school free because his father was an alum.
(d) He was at the school on a scholarship.
3. How did Orwell come to understand the discrepancies in pay for miners?
(a) By listening to talk around the lunch table.
(b) By working with the payroll departments.
(c) By interviewing miners.
(d) By studing pay checks and bank accounts.
4. What could happen to cause a miner to lose one or two days pay?
(a) A new training session.
(b) A machinery breakdown or a fault.
(c) An over-scheduling mistake.
(d) A broken elevator.
5. What did the Socialists think of the occupational centers?
(a) They believed the centers were there to keep the unemployed quiet and hopeful.
(b) They believed the centers were run by Marxists.
(c) They believed the centers were brainwashing men.
(d) They believed the centers should do more training.
Short Answer Questions
1. What portion of the population of Wigan was living on unemployment, including family members?
2. What famous line came from Greenwood's play "Love on the Dole?"
3. Who wrote "The Coal Scuttle?"
4. What is one superstition miner sometimes hold to?
5. What things did Orwell believe a good writer needed that an unemployed man could not find?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)