|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 and 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a "dataller?"
(a) A miner who digs the coal.
(b) A miner who plants explosives.
(c) The superviser in the mine shaft.
(d) A miner who attends to the roof of the mine.
2. Who did the work in the house of a married unemployed man?
(a) The man helped by maintaining the living and dining rooms.
(b) The couple split the chores in half to get more free time together.
(c) The man helped with certain chores such as washing dishes.
(d) A woman: the man did not help with any household tasks.
3. What could happen to cause a miner to lose one or two days pay?
(a) An over-scheduling mistake.
(b) A machinery breakdown or a fault.
(c) A new training session.
(d) A broken elevator.
4. What book did Orwell write telling of his experiences in London with the unemployed street people?
(a) Down and Out in the Gutters of London.
(b) Down and Out in London.
(c) Down and Out in Paris and London.
(d) Down and Out on the Seine.
5. What point was Orwell making in his explanation of the coal miner's pay?
(a) They are paid the same as any other laborer.
(b) They are paid more than the mayor of the town.
(c) They are actually well paid.
(d) They are actually paid very little.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one "perk" given to miners that was actually off-set by transportation costs?
2. In 1918, what was the general feeling throughout England?
3. What did Orwell believe every unemployed man should be given if he wanted it?
4. How did unemployment affect the life of the married man?
5. What was the number of people underfed in England based on Orwell's calculations?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)