|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 8 and 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What four words did Orwell discuss in detail as the reason for class distinctions?
(a) The middle class lie.
(b) The upper-middle class cheat.
(c) The upper class steal.
(d) The lower class smell.
2. What did Orwell cite as a reason class hatred seemed to be diminishing in the late 1930's?
(a) These opinions of hatred were those of only old men.
(b) These opinions of hatred were not in print anymore.
(c) These opinions of hatred were not real anymore.
(d) These opinions of hatred were those of only the upper classes.
3. What were the occupational centers of the thirties?
(a) Places men could go to learn carpentry, boot making and other skills.
(b) Places men could go to watch television in peace and quiet.
(c) Places men could go to receive testing and training.
(d) Places men could go to start new careers as professionals.
4. What was the most understandable cause of accidents in a mine?
(a) Gas explosions.
(c) Collapsing roofs.
5. When a miner comes up from the pit, why does he appear to be pale?
(a) Because of the foul air he has been breathing.
(b) Because he has not been in the sun.
(c) Because he is exhausted.
(d) Because he is thirsty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did miners tell Orwell about why they ate less than he did at a meal?
2. What percentage of a person's income, whether employed or on unemployment, was given over to rent in Wigan?
3. How was unemployment viewed by people in the late twenties and early thirties in England?
4. How long was Orwell a member of the Indian Police?
5. What did the Socialists think of the occupational centers?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)