|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Waiyaki talking when Nyambura passes them?
2. Who has Waiyaki tried to talk to but been unable to voice his thoughts?
3. Who tells Waiyaki that Nyambura is beautiful?
4. Who wishes s/he had been told of Muthoni's illness earlier?
5. Who has become the leader of the hills following Chege's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Muthoni think no one from her family comes to see her?
2. How does Nyambura feel about Waiyaki at the end of Chapter 17?
3. What is the overall reaction to Muthoni's death among the people of the ridges?
4. What does Waiyaki plan to speak about at the meeting of the parents?
5. What changes Reverend Livingstone's mind about how to deal with the traditional tribal customs?
6. What is it that people most admire in Joshua?
7. How does Waiyaki feel about his mother?
8. Why were parents proud when their child came home with a tear-stained face?
9. What vision of the future does Waiyaki see after leaving Joshua's church?
10. What is Waiyaki's reaction to Nyambura's not coming to visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of Kibonyi in "The River Between"?
Essay Topic 2
Much is said in "The River Between" about what a religion needs to be and should be. Explain what Ngugi's idea of how a religion can work for and with the culture it is part of. Please be specific.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Chege and Joshua. Use at least three specific examples.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)