|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what Bible character does Joshua compare Muthoni?
2. Who does Muthoni say she sees as she is dying?
3. Where does Waiyaki think he will go to get more teachers?
4. Who dies at the end of Chapter Twelve?
5. What does Waiyaki wish he could hold close to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What arguments does Kabonyi use against Waiyaki at the meeting?
2. Why does Waiyaki not feel warm toward Kamau?
3. Before meeting him at Mukuyu, what is Nyambura's opinion of Waiyaki?
4. How does Nyambura feel about Waiyaki at the end of Chapter 17?
5. What is Waiyaki's reaction to Nyambura's not coming to visit?
6. Why does Waiyaki feel badly for Njeri?
7. How does Waiyaki feel about his mother?
8. What is it that people most admire in Joshua?
9. What is the subject of the songs sung by the children?
10. What does Waiyaki plan to speak about at the meeting of the parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose at least two of the female characters from "The River Between"--Muthoni, Nyambura, Waiyaki's mother, Miriamu-- and discuss in an essay how Ngugi portrays the role of women in the tribe using these characters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which Ngugi uses the Bible in his novel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the idea that knowledge is power and how Ngugi addresses it in his novel.
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)