|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the headmaster of the new school?
2. What kind of disease does Chege have?
3. What is a Kiama?
4. Who wishes s/he had been told of Muthoni's illness earlier?
5. Who does Muthoni most wish to see while she is ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before meeting him at Mukuyu, what is Nyambura's opinion of Waiyaki?
2. Why does Waiyaki become angry with the rain?
3. What images come to Waiyaki while he is trying to sleep?
4. How does Waiyaki wait for the "surgeon" at the beginning of Chapter Ten?
5. What is the overall reaction to Muthoni's death among the people of the ridges?
6. What is it that people most admire in Joshua?
7. How does Nyambura feel about Waiyaki at the end of Chapter 17?
8. Why were parents proud when their child came home with a tear-stained face?
9. What is the subject of the songs sung by the children?
10. What is Waiyaki's relationship with Kabonyi like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose at least two of the female characters from "The River Between"--Muthoni, Nyambura, Waiyaki's mother, Miriamu-- and discuss in an essay how Ngugi portrays the role of women in the tribe using these characters.
Essay Topic 2
Choose at least two of the main conflicts of "The River Between" and discuss their development through the novel. Which characters are involved? How are they resolved? What commentary is Ngugi making through them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ways in which courage is defined and portrayed throughout the novel. Use at least three specific examples.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)