|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who knows Waiyaki was in Joshua's church?
2. Which of these is not a skill taught to the children?
3. Who once told Waiyaki that the arm of the white man is long?
4. Who besides Waiyaki knows the details of the old prophecy?
5. To what Bible character does Joshua compare Muthoni?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were parents proud when their child came home with a tear-stained face?
2. What images come to Waiyaki while he is trying to sleep?
3. Why does Waiyaki feel badly for Njeri?
4. Before meeting him at Mukuyu, what is Nyambura's opinion of Waiyaki?
5. What does Waiyaki plan to speak about at the meeting of the parents?
6. Why does Muthoni think no one from her family comes to see her?
7. Why does Waiyaki become angry with the rain?
8. Describe the scene Waiyaki walks into in Chapter Fifteen.
9. How does Waiyaki wait for the "surgeon" at the beginning of Chapter Ten?
10. What is the overall reaction to Muthoni's death among the people of the ridges?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Muthoni's death set the tone for the rest of the story? How does it affect the other characters and the decisions they make?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Chege and Joshua. Use at least three specific examples.
Essay Topic 3
The character of Nyambura is one that grows and changes over the course of the novel. Discuss the development of her character and the importance it has on the story.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)