|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who were Gikuyu and Mumbi?
(a) The first people of the tribe.
(b) Waiyaki's grandparents.
(c) Great warriors of the tribe.
(d) The first people to settle on the Kameno ridge.
2. What is the name of the river between the ridges?
3. Who does Nyambura quote as saying circumcision is sinful?
(a) Jesus Christ.
(b) The prophet Isaiah.
(c) Their father, Joshua.
(d) Reverend Livingstone.
4. What is the name of the mountain Waiyaki and Chege can see in the distance at the end of Chapter Four?
5. What event in Joshua's life brought him peace?
(a) His baptism.
(b) His second-birth ceremony.
(c) His wedding.
(d) The birth of his first child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joshua blame for the ills of the land?
2. In the old saying quoted near the end of Chapter One, what is not for strangers?
3. Where has Muthoni gone?
4. Which of these is not an adjective used to describe Waiyaki's eyes?
5. How did Waiyaki feel the morning of the ceremony in Chapter Three?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Nyambura feel about the river?
2. What does Chege tell Waiyaki he will have to do?
3. What is Chege's explanation for why antelope run from men?
4. What is the second birth ceremony?
5. Why are the two boys fighting in Chapter Two?
6. Describe the festivities of initiation eve.
7. How does Waiyaki feel toward Muthoni?
8. What is Muthoni's argument to Nyambura about her desire to be circumcised?
9. What do Waiyaki and his father talk about on their walk to the sacred grove?
10. What is the significance of Kerinyaga?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)