|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the meaning of the river's name?
(c) Cure, bring-back-to-life.
(d) Pure, clean-the-soul.
2. What did the ancient seer call white men?
(a) "People with milk-skin."
(b) "People with clothes like flowers."
(c) "People from the other world."
(d) "People with clothes like butterflies."
3. For what sin of his wife's does Joshua beg God's forgiveness?
(a) Her lack of authority with the people of Makuyu.
(b) Her disobedience.
(c) Her failure to give birth to a son.
(d) Her circumcision.
4. What kind of animal does Waiyaki sit next to in the thingira at the beginning of Chapter Four?
(a) A cow.
(b) A sheep.
(c) A horse.
(d) A dog.
5. How many wives does Chege have?
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom are sacrifices made before the initiation season?
2. What is the name of the mountain Waiyaki and Chege can see in the distance at the end of Chapter Four?
3. Where did Waiyaki sit for the ceremony?
4. Who does Nyambura quote as saying circumcision is sinful?
5. Who does Waiyaki see watching him with Muthoni?
Short Essay Questions
1. What rumors about the white people are circulating?
2. Why is Nyambura so upset by Muthoni's confession by the river?
3. What shocking information does Chege tell Waiyaki?
4. Describe the sacred place.
5. How are the two ridges, Kameno and Makuyu, described?
6. How does Joshua feel about the rite of circumcision?
7. How does Waiyaki feel about the initiation celebrations?
8. What is Muthoni's argument to Nyambura about her desire to be circumcised?
9. Describe the village where Joshua's family lives.
10. What is Joshua's first response when he discovers Muthoni is missing?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)