|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refers to Silas Lapham as General Lapham instead of by his true title of Colonel Lapham?
2. What is the result of Milton Rogers's deadline for bringing the potential buyers of the mills to Silas Lapham's office?
3. How does Anna Corey describe Penelope Lapham to Bromfield Corey?
4. What has the competition found that allows them to undersell Silas Lapham?
5. When Persis Lapham tells Penelope that Tom Corey has offered to invest in her father's company, how does Penelope respond?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Persis Lapham's reaction to Tom Corey's revelation when Penelope shares it with her?
2. What opinion does Persis Lapham cling to about Milton Rogers despite being presented with evidence to the contrary, and what does this indicate about her character?
3. Describe the Civil War experiences Silas Lapham relates to the other guests at the Coreys' dinner party.
4. What new business proposition does Milton Rogers bring Silas Lapham in Chapter Twenty Five?
5. What opinion does Penelope Lapham give Tom Corey about the novel Tears, Idle Tears?
6. What mistakes does Silas Lapham commit at the Corey dinner party?
7. Which member of the Lapham family does not attend the Corey dinner party and what different reactions do Anna Corey and Persis Lapham have to the absence?
8. Who is Mr. Sewell and what does he suggest that Silas and Persis Lapham do about the situation between their daughters and Tom Corey?
9. What moral dilemma does Silas Lapham have over Rogers's proposed business deal?
10. Describe Silas Lapham's financial status at the end of Chapter Twenty One and how it compares to his financial status at the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Zerrilla Dewey and how she represents working class women in the Gilded Age. What theme do you think William Dean Howells is trying to convey about working class women and their role in society through the character of Zerrilla and her troubled marriage? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of self sacrifice in The Rise of Silas Lapham. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Silas Lapham is the protagonist of the story, and Rogers is the antagonist of the story. Compare and contrast the characters of Lapham and Rogers. In what ways is Rogers a foil character for Lapham? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)