|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Silas Lapham's response when Persis asks him who Mrs. M is?
(a) He says it's an employee.
(b) He says he doesn't know what she means.
(c) He says it's an old school friend.
(d) He says it's his girlfriend.
2. What has the competition found that allows them to undersell Silas Lapham?
(a) Cheaper labor.
(b) Free advertising.
(c) A cheaper way to manufacture their product.
(d) A shorter route to their markets.
3. With what does Persis Lapham worry Irene will wear herself out?
4. When Lapham apologizes to Tom Corey at the office after the Coreys' dinner party for his behavior at the party, what does Tom blame for the incident?
(a) Serving wine to a man not used to drinking it.
(b) His family's snobbery.
(c) Lapham's eagerness to seem friendly.
(d) His father's potent French wines.
5. What physical ailment does Tom Corey have in Chapter Twenty One?
(a) An earache.
(c) A headache.
(d) A broken leg.
6. What novel do the guests at the Coreys' dinner party discuss?
(a) David Copperfield.
(b) Tom Sawyer.
(c) Tears, Idle Tears.
7. To where does Persis Lapham take Irene at the beginning of Chapter Twenty?
(a) The family farm in Vermont.
8. How do Bromfield and Anna Corey respond to the news about Tom's romance?
(a) They offer to pay for the wedding.
(b) They threaten to disinherit Tom.
(c) They try to interest Tom in a more aristocratic bride.
(d) They don't like it but resign themselves to it.
9. Who sends Irene the Texas newspaper clipping she thought had come from Tom Corey?
(a) Uncle James.
(b) Tom's Texas friend Stanton.
(c) An old friend of Persis.
(d) Uncle William.
10. From whom has Silas Lapham purchased mills in Chapter Twenty?
(a) Milton Rogers.
(b) Jim Millon.
(c) Bromfield Corey.
(d) James Bellingham.
11. What does Penelope write to Tom Corey?
(a) To come see her at once.
(b) To not come see her until she says it's okay.
(c) That she is engaged to another man.
(d) That she's going to become a nun.
12. What novel do Tom Corey and Penelope discuss when Tom sees that Penelope is reading it?
(a) Pride and Prejudice.
(c) Little Women.
(d) Tears, Idle Tears.
13. Which of the following statements does not describe Silas Lapham's interactions with Zerilla Dewey and her mother, Moll Millon, in Chapter Twenty Three?
(a) Moll Millon demands money from Lapham.
(b) Lapham tells Zerilla's husband to find work.
(c) Zerilla needs help dealing with her drunken husband.
(d) Zerilla and Moll take Silas and Persis out to lunch.
14. What does Persis Lapham find in Chapter Twenty Two when her husband drops it on the floor?
(a) A suicide note.
(b) A note with "Mrs. M" and some figures written on it.
(c) A love note from Zerilla Dewey.
(d) His will.
15. Who tells Tom Corey of Silas Lapham's potential financial ruin?
(a) Persis Lapham.
(b) Zeirlla Dewey.
(c) Walker, Lapham's bookkeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Irene staying in Dubuque?
2. How long does Silas Lapham travel out west at the beginning of Chapter Twenty One?
3. What subject does Persis urgently need to discuss with Silas in Chapter Eighteen?
4. What might Silas Lapham have to sell because of the financial trouble he is into with Rogers?
5. On what street do the Coreys live?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)