|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where do the Corey women return at the beginning of Chapter Twelve?
(b) Bar Harbor.
2. Which guest at the Coreys' dinner party thinks novels are "psychical suicide" and give too much importance to love, love-making, and marriage?
(a) Miss Kingsbury.
(b) Mr. Sewell, the minister.
(c) Silas Lapham.
(d) Charles Bellingham.
3. When Silas Lapham visits his new house, what does he do there?
(a) Takes a nap.
(b) Builds a fire to try the chimney.
(c) Reads a book.
(d) Has trysts with Zerilla.
4. How does Persis Lapham shock Penelope out of her depression over Tom Corey?
(a) By inviting Tom Corey over to tea.
(b) By telling Penelope of Silas Lapham's business woes.
(c) By telling her Irene is marrying someone else.
(d) By buying her an expensive diamond bracelet.
5. Which of the following statements does not describe the decision Silas Lapham comes to regarding the potential buyers of the mills?
(a) He can't sell to them without telling them about the G.L.P.
(b) He would be as bad as Rogers if he sold to them.
(c) He will not tell them about the G.L.P.
(d) They won't want to buy if he does tell them about the G.L.P.
6. What happens to the new house in Chapter Twenty Four?
(a) It gets robbed.
(b) It wins a contest.
(c) It burns to the ground.
(d) A tornado hits it.
7. Why does Silas Lapham decide not to sell his new house?
(a) He thinks Persis likes the house.
(b) It symbolizes his success.
(c) He likes the house.
(d) He decides to buy out the West Virginia company instead.
8. What does Silas Lapham decide to shut down in Chapter Twenty Three?
(a) The Works.
(b) His mills.
(c) His office.
(d) His newspaper business.
9. Who sends Irene the Texas newspaper clipping she thought had come from Tom Corey?
(a) Tom's Texas friend Stanton.
(b) Uncle James.
(c) Uncle William.
(d) An old friend of Persis.
10. Why does Penelope greet Tom Corey when he visits her home in Chapter Sixteen?
(a) Irene is ill.
(b) Her father is not home at the time.
(c) Tom asks for her.
(d) Irene sends her downstairs as an emissary.
11. What does Silas Lapham accuse Milton Rogers of being?
(a) A fraud.
(b) A murderer.
(c) A sinner.
(d) A thief.
12. What does Persis Lapham find in Chapter Twenty Two when her husband drops it on the floor?
(a) A suicide note.
(b) His will.
(c) A love note from Zerilla Dewey.
(d) A note with "Mrs. M" and some figures written on it.
13. With whom does Silas Lapham suggest he and his wife discuss the matter of Tom Corey's relationship with their daughters?
(a) Bromfield Corey.
(b) Milton Rogers.
(c) Mr. Sewell.
(d) Anna Corey.
14. Who says she will never live in the Lapham's new house on Back Bay?
(b) Persis's mother.
15. What note does Penelope send to Tom Corey at the beginning of Chapter Twenty Two?
(a) A note telling him to not come see her any more.
(b) A note begging him to court her sister instead.
(c) A note declaring her love for him.
(d) A note begging him to elope with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refers to Silas Lapham as General Lapham instead of by his true title of Colonel Lapham?
2. How does the elegant and classically designed Corey home seem to the Laphams when they enter it?
3. What does Irene buy at the apothecary?
4. What advice is given to Silas and Persis Lapham at the end of Chapter Eighteen to handle the situation with Tom Corey?
5. How long does Silas Lapham travel out west at the beginning of Chapter Twenty One?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)