|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Tom Corey tells his mother about his romance, who does his mother initially believe he loves?
(b) Zerilla Dewey.
(c) Moll Millon.
2. To where does Silas Lapham take his wife and daughter in Chapter Twenty Two to cheer them all up?
(a) New York.
(b) The theater.
(d) The family's Vermont farm.
3. Who sends Irene the Texas newspaper clipping she thought had come from Tom Corey?
(a) Uncle James.
(b) Uncle William.
(c) Tom's Texas friend Stanton.
(d) An old friend of Persis.
4. Why do Persis and Silas Lapham begin to feel glad their daughter is not engaged to Tom Corey?
(a) A richer man develops an interest in their daughter.
(b) The Coreys are rude and snobbish.
(c) So they won't be embarrassed due to their financial losses.
(d) Tom Corey has bad manners.
5. What does Persis Lapham find in Chapter Twenty Two when her husband drops it on the floor?
(a) A note with "Mrs. M" and some figures written on it.
(b) A love note from Zerilla Dewey.
(c) A suicide note.
(d) His will.
6. How do Bromfield and Anna Corey respond to the news about Tom's romance?
(a) They threaten to disinherit Tom.
(b) They try to interest Tom in a more aristocratic bride.
(c) They offer to pay for the wedding.
(d) They don't like it but resign themselves to it.
7. What has the competition found that allows them to undersell Silas Lapham?
(a) Free advertising.
(b) A shorter route to their markets.
(c) A cheaper way to manufacture their product.
(d) Cheaper labor.
8. When Silas Lapham meets with James Bellingham to discuss buying out another company, what does Bellingham suggest that Lapham do instead?
(a) Declare bankruptcy.
(b) Disappear and assume a new identity.
(c) Sell his Back Bay house.
(d) Sell his company.
9. What does Penelope write to Tom Corey?
(a) That she is engaged to another man.
(b) To not come see her until she says it's okay.
(c) That she's going to become a nun.
(d) To come see her at once.
10. What physical ailment does Tom Corey have in Chapter Twenty One?
(a) An earache.
(b) A broken leg.
(d) A headache.
11. With what keen sense does Nanny Corey read novels?
(a) A sense of artistry and desire to write her own novel.
(b) A sense of their inaccuracy as representations of life.
(c) A sense of moral indignation.
(d) A sense of adventure and romance.
12. What is Silas Lapham's response when Persis asks him who Mrs. M is?
(a) He says he doesn't know what she means.
(b) He says it's an employee.
(c) He says it's an old school friend.
(d) He says it's his girlfriend.
13. When Silas Lapham visits his new house, what does he do there?
(a) Has trysts with Zerilla.
(b) Takes a nap.
(c) Builds a fire to try the chimney.
(d) Reads a book.
14. Which of the Laphams is happiest about the Coreys' dinner invitation?
15. When Milton Rogers comes to visit Silas Lapham at the office in Chapter Twenty One and says he thought the railroad would pay a fair price for the mills, what does Lapham accuse Rogers of doing?
(a) Trying to ru in his business.
(c) Trying to marry Irene.
(d) Trying to steal Persis from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who defends Milton Rogers to Silas Lapham and refuses to believe Rogers is the swindler he seems to be?
2. What does Silas Lapham accuse Milton Rogers of being?
3. At the beginning of Chapter Twenty Four, who tells Tom Corey how bad Silas Lapham's business troubles are?
4. How does Persis Lapham shock Penelope out of her depression over Tom Corey?
5. How long does Silas Lapham give Milton Rogers to produce the parties who Rogers claims want to buy the mills?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)