|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter Twelve, what do the Corey sisters bring back from their summer vacation?
(a) New wardrobes.
(b) A new housemaid.
(c) Studies of kelp & toadstools, rocks & rotten logs.
(d) Cases of the measles.
2. How does Anna Corey describe Penelope Lapham to Bromfield Corey?
(a) Rude and disgusting.
(b) Very shy and timid.
(c) Sly and completely disagreeable.
(d) Pretty and sweet.
3. What physical ailment does Tom Corey have in Chapter Twenty One?
(b) A headache.
(c) An earache.
(d) A broken leg.
4. With whom does Silas Lapham suggest he and his wife discuss the matter of Tom Corey's relationship with their daughters?
(a) Mr. Sewell.
(b) Milton Rogers.
(c) Bromfield Corey.
(d) Anna Corey.
5. How do Anna and Bromfield Corey feel about Penelope's behavior toward Tom?
(a) They think Penelope is too aloof.
(b) They think Penelope is too demonstrative.
(c) They think Penelope behaves with great decorum.
(d) They think Penelope is too clinging.
6. Who does Persis Lapham find crying in Chapter Seventeen?
(a) Tom Corey.
(b) Nanny Corey.
7. Who drinks too much at the Coreys' dinner party and begins to brag as a result?
(a) Miss Kingsbury.
(b) Silas Lapham.
(c) Charles Bellingham.
(d) Irene Lapham.
8. To where does Silas Lapham take his wife and daughter in Chapter Twenty Two to cheer them all up?
(a) The family's Vermont farm.
(c) The theater.
(d) New York.
9. Who refers to Silas Lapham as General Lapham instead of by his true title of Colonel Lapham?
(a) Charles Bellingham.
(b) Mr. Sewell.
(c) Anna Corey.
(d) Bromfield Corey.
10. Why do Persis and Silas Lapham begin to feel glad their daughter is not engaged to Tom Corey?
(a) So they won't be embarrassed due to their financial losses.
(b) A richer man develops an interest in their daughter.
(c) Tom Corey has bad manners.
(d) The Coreys are rude and snobbish.
11. What is the problem with Lapham's mills?
(a) The railroad wants them and Lapham has to take their price.
(b) They just burned to the ground.
(c) They are going backrupt.
(d) They aren't making a profit.
12. What is Silas Lapham's response when Persis asks him who Mrs. M is?
(a) He says it's an employee.
(b) He says it's his girlfriend.
(c) He says it's an old school friend.
(d) He says he doesn't know what she means.
13. Which member of the Lapham family refuses to attend the Coreys' dinner party?
14. How do Bromfield and Anna Corey respond to the news about Tom's romance?
(a) They don't like it but resign themselves to it.
(b) They try to interest Tom in a more aristocratic bride.
(c) They offer to pay for the wedding.
(d) They threaten to disinherit Tom.
15. With what keen sense does Nanny Corey read novels?
(a) A sense of artistry and desire to write her own novel.
(b) A sense of their inaccuracy as representations of life.
(c) A sense of adventure and romance.
(d) A sense of moral indignation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Irene mention frequently in her letters from Dubuque?
2. What collateral of Milton Rogers's is Silas Lapham going to sell for what they will fetch in the market?
3. What competition arises for Silas Lapham's paint business?
4. What does Persis Lapham find in Chapter Twenty Two when her husband drops it on the floor?
5. What novel do the guests at the Coreys' dinner party discuss?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)