|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Milton Rogers's deadline for bringing the potential buyers of the mills to Silas Lapham's office?
(a) Milton brings the buyers and they buy the mills.
(b) Milton does not produce the English men.
(c) Milton brings the buyers but they decide not to buy.
(d) Milton skips town and can't be located.
2. What might Silas Lapham have to sell because of the financial trouble he is into with Rogers?
(a) His wife's jewelry.
(b) His Back Bay home.
(c) His cottage.
(d) His paint business.
3. Why does Silas Lapham decide not to sell his new house?
(a) It symbolizes his success.
(b) He thinks Persis likes the house.
(c) He decides to buy out the West Virginia company instead.
(d) He likes the house.
4. Why does Persis send a note to her husband in Chapter Seventeen asking him to meet her early in the afternoon?
(a) She wants to tell him of Tom Corey's love for Penelope.
(b) She wants to confront him about Zerilla.
(c) She wants to ask for a divorce.
(d) She wants to ask him to give Rogers another loan.
5. With whom is Irene staying in Dubuque?
(a) An old school friend.
(b) Her maternal grandparents.
(c) Silas Lapham's brother, William, and his family.
(d) Her paternal grandparents.
6. From where do the Corey women return at the beginning of Chapter Twelve?
(d) Bar Harbor.
7. When Milton Rogers comes to visit Silas Lapham at the office in Chapter Twenty One and says he thought the railroad would pay a fair price for the mills, what does Lapham accuse Rogers of doing?
(a) Trying to steal Persis from him.
(c) Trying to marry Irene.
(d) Trying to ru in his business.
8. What does Irene buy at the apothecary?
(a) Medication for an upset stomach.
(b) Aspirin for a headache.
(c) Medication for depression.
(d) A powder to help her sleep.
9. How does the elegant and classically designed Corey home seem to the Laphams when they enter it?
(b) Overly fancy.
10. How long does Silas Lapham travel out west at the beginning of Chapter Twenty One?
(a) A month.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) A year.
(d) Six months.
11. When Silas Lapham starts bringing work home with him, who helps him with his paperwork?
(d) Tom Corey.
12. Who defends Milton Rogers to Silas Lapham and refuses to believe Rogers is the swindler he seems to be?
(b) Bromfield Corey.
(c) Tom Corey.
13. To where does Persis Lapham take Irene at the beginning of Chapter Twenty?
(d) The family farm in Vermont.
14. With what does Persis Lapham worry Irene will wear herself out?
15. What is the problem with Lapham's mills?
(a) The railroad wants them and Lapham has to take their price.
(b) They just burned to the ground.
(c) They aren't making a profit.
(d) They are going backrupt.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom has Silas Lapham purchased mills in Chapter Twenty?
2. How many sisters does Tom Corey have?
3. What is Silas Lapham's response when Persis asks him who Mrs. M is?
4. Who tells Tom Corey of Silas Lapham's potential financial ruin?
5. What does Irene give Penelope after learning the truth about Tom Corey's feelings for her?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)