|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters XVI, XVII and XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following statements is not a way Tom Corey describes Silas Lapham to his father?
(a) He's simple-hearted and wholesome.
(b) He is intelligent and articulate.
(c) He brags about being able to spend money.
(d) His range of ideas is limited.
2. What business does Persis Lapham tell her husband she thinks Tom Corey will never go into?
(a) Real estate.
(c) The mineral paint business.
3. To how much does Persis Lapham limit her husband's spending on their new home?
(a) One million dollars.
(b) Ten thousand dollars.
(c) One hundred thousand dollars.
(d) Fifty thousand dollars.
4. In their determination not to be the first guests to arrive at the Coreys' dinner party, what do the Laphams end up being?
(a) The last guests to arrive.
(b) Too anxious and fretful to enjoy themselves at the party.
(c) The second guests to arrive.
(d) Half an hour late.
5. Which of the following statements does not describe Penelope's opinion of the novel she and Tom Corey discuss?
(a) She wonders why novel characters don't act reasonably.
(b) The characters in the book behave sensibly.
(c) The heroine sacrifices her happiness and the hero's.
(d) The heroine shouldn't let another girl have her beloved.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why hasn't Bromfield Corey seen Bartley Hubbard's article in The Events about Silas Lapham?
2. Where does Tom Corey visit his mother and sisters in Chapter Six?
3. Which guest at the Coreys' dinner party thinks novels are "psychical suicide" and give too much importance to love, love-making, and marriage?
4. Which member of the Lapham family is left alone with Tom Corey when he visits the site of their new Beacon Street house in Chapter Four?
5. What kind of gambling does Silas Lapham tell his wife he has been doing in Chapter Ten?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)