|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters XVI, XVII and XVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What business idea does Tom Corey propose to Silas Lapham that meets with Lapham's approval?
(a) Adding a cheaper line of paint.
(b) Taking the paint to foreign countries like Mexico.
(c) Lowering the price on his products.
(d) Increasing the company's advertising.
2. What business idea does Tom Corey first propose to Silas Lapham in Chapter Six?
(a) Starting a branch of Lapham's company in Maine.
(b) Expanding into the construction business.
(c) Investing capital in Lapham's company.
(d) A partnership in Lapham's company.
3. In Chapter Two, who sends Persis Lapham a lithographed circular soliciting for donations to a charity?
(a) Her daughter's teacher.
(b) The governor's wife.
(c) Anna Corey.
(d) Mr. Sewell.
4. Why does Penelope greet Tom Corey when he visits her home in Chapter Sixteen?
(a) Irene is ill.
(b) Irene sends her downstairs as an emissary.
(c) Tom asks for her.
(d) Her father is not home at the time.
5. Which of the following statements does not appear in the description of Silas Lapham that Bartley Hubbard writes for his newspaper article?
(a) He is bald and walks with a cane.
(b) He is of medium height.
(c) His nose is short and straight.
(d) He has a square, bold chin and a short, reddish-gray beard.
Short Answer Questions
1. In their determination not to be the first guests to arrive at the Coreys' dinner party, what do the Laphams end up being?
2. With what keen sense does Nanny Corey read novels?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Irene Lapham?
4. When Lapham apologizes to Tom Corey at the office after the Coreys' dinner party for his behavior at the party, what does Tom blame for the incident?
5. To where does Silas Lapham want to take Bromfield Corey for a fish dinner?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)