|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters IX and X.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Laphams come to believe their home in Boston is in an unfashionable neighborhood?
(a) A newspaper article states that it is.
(b) Their daughters decree that it is.
(c) The fashionable Anna Corey implies that it is.
(d) A fashion magazine tells them it is.
2. Which of the following statements does not appear in the description of Silas Lapham that Bartley Hubbard writes for his newspaper article?
(a) He is bald and walks with a cane.
(b) His nose is short and straight.
(c) He is of medium height.
(d) He has a square, bold chin and a short, reddish-gray beard.
3. Which of the following statements is not a way Tom Corey describes Silas Lapham to his father?
(a) He brags about being able to spend money.
(b) His range of ideas is limited.
(c) He is intelligent and articulate.
(d) He's simple-hearted and wholesome.
4. What have the Corey ladies lost when they first meet the Laphams?
(a) A diamond pendant.
(b) Some of their luggage.
(c) A blue plumed hat.
(d) A gold pocket watch.
5. What business idea does Tom Corey first propose to Silas Lapham in Chapter Six?
(a) Starting a branch of Lapham's company in Maine.
(b) Investing capital in Lapham's company.
(c) Expanding into the construction business.
(d) A partnership in Lapham's company.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Four, with whom does Silas Lapham sit in the frame of a bay window at the construction site of the family's new Beacon Street house?
2. What does Anna Corey wish her son had done instead of join Silas Lapham's paint business?
3. How old is Silas Lapham in Chapter One?
4. Which member of the Lapham family has been reading the novel Tom Corey sees on the Lapham parlor table?
5. Whose death brings sorrow to the early years of the Lapham marriage?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)