1. In what city does the novel open?
(a) San Francisco.
(d) New York.
2. What newspaper has sent reporter Bartley Hubard to interview Silas Lapham in Chapter One?
(a) The Globe.
(b) The Wall Street Journal.
(c) The Chronicle.
(d) The Events.
3. In what series of articles is the newspaper going to feature an article on Silas Lapham?
(a) The Solid Men of Boston series.
(b) The Business Men of Vermont series.
(c) The Paint Sellers of America series.
(d) The Rich Men of New York series.
4. Where was Silas Lapham born?
(a) In New Orleans.
(b) On a boat on the Mississippi River.
(c) In a Philadelphia slum.
(d) On a farm in Vermont.
5. Which of the following statements does not appear in the description of Silas Lapham that Bartley Hubbard writes for his newspaper article?
(a) He is bald and walks with a cane.
(b) His nose is short and straight.
(c) He has a square, bold chin and a short, reddish-gray beard.
(d) He is of medium height.
This section contains 5,568 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)