1. In what city does the novel open?
(a) New York.
(d) San Francisco.
2. What newspaper has sent reporter Bartley Hubard to interview Silas Lapham in Chapter One?
(a) The Events.
(b) The Globe.
(c) The Chronicle.
(d) The Wall Street Journal.
3. In what series of articles is the newspaper going to feature an article on Silas Lapham?
(a) The Business Men of Vermont series.
(b) The Paint Sellers of America series.
(c) The Solid Men of Boston series.
(d) The Rich Men of New York series.
4. Where was Silas Lapham born?
(a) In New Orleans.
(b) In a Philadelphia slum.
(c) On a farm in Vermont.
(d) On a boat on the Mississippi River.
5. Which of the following statements does not appear in the description of Silas Lapham that Bartley Hubbard writes for his newspaper article?
(a) His nose is short and straight.
(b) He has a square, bold chin and a short, reddish-gray beard.
(c) He is of medium height.
(d) He is bald and walks with a cane.
This section contains 5,568 words
(approx. 19 pages at 300 words per page)