|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The House of Clay", Varuna casts his snares upon the offending worshiper in the form of _____.
2. According to the author, who is the only Vedic goddess of any true stature?
3. Why does Apala's husband supposedly hate her in the later commentaries associated with "Apala and Indra"?
4. Who are the sky and earth parents of?
5. In the section of the book called "Realia", the hymns are characterized by the author as having a _____ element.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author say it is a possibility that priests are being satirized in "The Frogs"?
2. In "The Courtship of Ghosa", what does Ghosa ask the Asvins?
3. In "Varuna Provoked to Anger", what is the nature of Vasistha's sins toward Varuna?
4. According to Indian theory, what happens to the sun during the rainy season?
5. What is the role of beauty in regards to women in the Rig Veda?
6. In the dialogue between Agastya and the Maruts in "Agastya and the Maruts", what is Agastya trying to do?
7. What is the central image of the hymn, "Mudgala's Wife and the Bull in the Chariot", and how do their interpretations overlap?
8. Who are the sons of the sun and what are their roles?
9. What are the different meanings of the 'house of clay' metaphor in "The House of Clay"?
10. What does the poet ask for at the end of "Parjanya, the Bull", and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between male and female characters in the Rig Veda. Do females have an equal role in the texts? Who is the female counterpart to Yama and what is she known for? Do females invoke the gods? How are female characters voiced?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Indra's greatest heroic deed in slaying the dragon Vrtra. Why did he slay Vrtra? What was the dragon doing that caused him to be the enemy of Indra? What does this symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ritual involved in the sacrifice of the horse. Describe of each stage of the sacrifice. Who is involved? Who is the sacrifice dedicated to?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)