|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word means dark, formless, terrifying abyss?
2. Who are the sons and daughters of the father in "To Arms"?
3. In stories associated with "Apala and Indra", what is the first skin that is sloughed off of Apala?
4. The Maruts are _____ portrayed always as a group.
5. Rudra is known as the punisher of _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vena personify in the hymn of the same name, and how does this relate to the theme of the hymn?
2. How is the phrase 'O, little mother' a triple entendre in "Indra and the Monkey"?
3. What is the meaning or the invocation, 'O, master of the stones' in "The House of Clay"?
4. In "Varuna Provoked to Anger", what is the nature of Vasistha's sins toward Varuna?
5. How is creation mythology presented in "Varuna Provoked to Anger"?
6. In the dialogue between Agastya and the Maruts in "Agastya and the Maruts", what is Agastya trying to do?
7. What is the central image of the hymn, "Mudgala's Wife and the Bull in the Chariot", and how do their interpretations overlap?
8. Why does the author say it is a possibility that priests are being satirized in "The Frogs"?
9. Who competes in the contest in "The Maruts" and what are they doing in the competition?
10. What is Varuna asked to protect the worshiper from in regards to his own power?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Indra's greatest heroic deed in slaying the dragon Vrtra. Why did he slay Vrtra? What was the dragon doing that caused him to be the enemy of Indra? What does this symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author characterize the nature of the Rig Veda in the section entitled "Realia"? Why are the gods usually invoked? What is her opinion on the relationship between the ideas in the Rig Veda and the material world?
Essay Topic 3
How is Parjanya personified? What is paradoxical about the way he is personified in "Parjanya, the Cow'?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)