|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Atharva Vedic ritual, the Great Naked Woman is treated as a _____.
2. Who are the sons and daughters of the father in "To Arms"?
3. The red streaks in "The Gale Wind" may be the redness in the sky during rain, or the _____ of the wind.
4. In the hymn, "Indra and the Maruts", what type of animal is named as 'the does' that are yoked to the chariot?
5. What is the name of Indra's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who competes in the contest in "The Maruts" and what are they doing in the competition?
2. What is the meaning or the invocation, 'O, master of the stones' in "The House of Clay"?
3. In the dialogue between Agastya and the Maruts in "Agastya and the Maruts", what is Agastya trying to do?
4. What does Vena personify in the hymn of the same name, and how does this relate to the theme of the hymn?
5. In "The Courtship of Ghosa", what does Ghosa ask the Asvins?
6. What is the central image of the hymn, "Mudgala's Wife and the Bull in the Chariot", and how do their interpretations overlap?
7. Why does the author say it is a possibility that priests are being satirized in "The Frogs"?
8. How is creation mythology presented in "Varuna Provoked to Anger"?
9. What is the conflict present in all of the dialogues with women in the Rig Veda? Who succeeds, and who fails in this conflict?
10. What are the possible meanings of the 'banner that dawn plants in the sky' in "Dawn and the Asvins"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Parjanya personified? What is paradoxical about the way he is personified in "Parjanya, the Cow'?
Essay Topic 2
What are the different types of oblation? Where and when are they presented, and by whom? Cite specific instances from the hymns.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the meaning of "Hiranyagarbha". What are the different meanings of the separate parts of the word? What is the symbolism contained in the word?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)