|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In stories associated with "Apala and Indra", what is the first skin that is sloughed off of Apala?
2. Rudra is known as the punisher of _____.
3. Sindhu is a _____ goddess.
4. In the section of the book called "Realia", the hymns are characterized by the author as having a _____ element.
5. What is the metaphor used in "Parjanya, the Cow" to represent the cloud that does not give rain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Varuna asked to protect the worshiper from in regards to his own power?
2. What are two meanings of "Atri and the Lost Sun"?
3. In "Varuna Provoked to Anger", what is the nature of Vasistha's sins toward Varuna?
4. What does Vena personify in the hymn of the same name, and how does this relate to the theme of the hymn?
5. Why does the author say it is a possibility that priests are being satirized in "The Frogs"?
6. In "The Courtship of Ghosa", what does Ghosa ask the Asvins?
7. What is the meaning or the invocation, 'O, master of the stones' in "The House of Clay"?
8. What are the different meanings of the 'house of clay' metaphor in "The House of Clay"?
9. In "Indra and the Maruts", why does Indra mock the Maruts?
10. In the dialogue between Agastya and the Maruts in "Agastya and the Maruts", what is Agastya trying to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author characterize the nature of the Rig Veda in the section entitled "Realia"? Why are the gods usually invoked? What is her opinion on the relationship between the ideas in the Rig Veda and the material world?
Essay Topic 2
What role does 'butter' play in the Rig Veda? What is its literal meaning in this context? Find examples of and explain its metaphorical meaning.
Essay Topic 3
What are the two incarnations of Parjanya? What is the significance of Parjanya as a god figure? What is paradoxical about Parjanya's gender in "Parjanya, the Cow"?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)