|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word means dark, formless, terrifying abyss?
2. Who are the sky and earth parents of?
(a) The stars.
(b) The sun.
(c) The maruts.
(d) The bull.
3. Svarbhanu is the demon of _____ in "Atri and the Lost Sun".
4. The _____ in "Indra and the Monkey" is the conquering Aryan.
5. In the Atharva Vedic ritual, the Great Naked Woman is treated as a _____.
(a) Cup of Soma.
6. What is Agastya's chosen path in life when his wife approaches him to beget a child?
(a) That of a farmer.
(b) That of a charioteer.
(c) That of the ascetic.
(d) That of a herdsman.
7. Rudra is known as the punisher of _____.
8. Who is the mother of the gods?
9. Who is the mother of the Maruts?
10. Varuna binds _____ in his snares of disease and misfortune in "Varuna Provoked to Anger".
11. In stories associated with "Apala and Indra", what is the first skin that is sloughed off of Apala?
(a) A deer.
(b) A dog.
(c) A hedgehog.
(d) A jackal.
12. What is the metaphor used in "Parjanya, the Cow" to represent the cloud that does not give rain?
(a) The empty Soma vessel.
(b) The sterile cow.
(c) The dried fig.
(d) The goat skin.
13. Pusan is the _____ of the sun.
14. What is the name of Yama's twin?
15. Who performed the first sacrifice by mortals for immortals?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Deeds of the Asvins", the feet in the phrase 'in three chariots with six horses and a hundred feet' are _____.
2. The divine prototype for marriage is the hierogamy of Surya and _____.
3. Who are 'those who eat serpents' most likely to be in "Savitr at Sunset"?
4. In "Gambler's Lament", dice are born during a storm and cease to hang like _____ from the nut tree.
5. Mudgala's wife hopes that Indra will turn her husband into a _____.
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)