|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In stories associated with "Apala and Indra", what is the third skin that is sloughed off of Apala?
(a) A salamander.
(b) A toad.
(c) A slave.
(d) A chameleon.
2. The overturned cask is a frequent metaphor for a _____.
(a) The loss of life.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) The loss of Soma.
(d) A torrent of rain.
3. The _____ in "Indra and the Monkey" is the conquering Aryan.
4. Who are 'those who eat serpents' most likely to be in "Savitr at Sunset"?
(b) Dogs of war.
(c) Birds of prey.
5. The family of sages who praise Dawn in "Dawn and the Asvins" are called _____.
6. In the hymn, "Indra and the Maruts", what type of animal is named as 'the does' that are yoked to the chariot?
7. Who is the mother of the Maruts?
8. Varuna binds _____ in his snares of disease and misfortune in "Varuna Provoked to Anger".
9. What is Nirrti called in the texts of the Rig Veda?
10. Pusan is the _____ of the sun.
11. Svarbhanu is the demon of _____ in "Atri and the Lost Sun".
12. The Maruts are _____ portrayed always as a group.
(a) Fertility gods.
(b) Sun worshipers.
13. The divine prototype for marriage is the hierogamy of Surya and _____.
14. Pusan presides over _____.
(a) Roads and journeys.
(b) Fertility and death.
(c) Sky and earth.
(d) Mountains and hills.
15. The three vats in "Parjanya, the Cow" are clouds full of rain or vessels full of _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. The god Parjanya is closely associated with _____.
2. In stories associated with "Apala and Indra", what is the second skin that is sloughed off of Apala?
3. Seven gods guard Soma, among whom _____ is the foremost.
4. What do the Maruts give Gotama when he prays to them?
5. _____ are both offenses and Varuna's punishment of those offenses.
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)