|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seven gods guard Soma, among whom _____ is the foremost.
2. The three vats in "Parjanya, the Cow" are clouds full of rain or vessels full of _____.
3. For what is 'the house of clay' a metaphor?
(a) The body.
(d) The earth.
4. Who are the sons and daughters of the father in "To Arms"?
5. What do the Maruts give Gotama when he prays to them?
(b) A son.
(d) A fountain.
6. Who is Rudra's successor as a Hindu god?
7. in "The Deeds of the Asvins", Pedu is the character who was given a white horse that killed _____.
(d) Its previous master.
8. In "The House of Clay", Varuna casts his snares upon the offending worshiper in the form of _____.
9. What is another name for the Maruts?
10. Sindhu is a _____ goddess.
11. In "Varuna the Friend of Vasistha", where does the sun rest all night?
(a) In the heart of Vasistha.
(b) In the rock of darkness.
(c) In the valley of the kings.
(d) In the river.
12. In the hymn, "Indra and the Maruts", what type of animal is named as 'the does' that are yoked to the chariot?
13. Who are the sky and earth parents of?
(a) The bull.
(b) The stars.
(c) The sun.
(d) The maruts.
14. In the section of the book called "Realia", the hymns are characterized by the author as having a _____ element.
(d) Decidedly sacred.
15. According to the author, who is the only Vedic goddess of any true stature?
Short Answer Questions
1. The divine prototype for marriage is the hierogamy of Surya and _____.
2. Who is the mother of the gods?
3. Asura is a _____ in early Vedic tradition, before he becomes a demon.
4. What does Apala want to do for Indra to get him to help her in "Apala and Indra"?
5. In "Parjanya, the Bull", what is Parjanyas' enormous deadly weapon?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)