|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sindhu is a _____ goddess.
2. What word means dark, formless, terrifying abyss?
3. Who are 'those who eat serpents' most likely to be in "Savitr at Sunset"?
(a) Birds of prey.
(c) Dogs of war.
4. Why does Apala's husband supposedly hate her in the later commentaries associated with "Apala and Indra"?
(a) She is frigid.
(b) She has a skin disease.
(c) She is lazy.
(d) She is unfaithful.
5. Who are the sons and daughters of the father in "To Arms"?
6. The _____ in "Indra and the Monkey" is the conquering Aryan.
7. The red streaks in "The Gale Wind" may be the redness in the sky during rain, or the _____ of the wind.
(a) Flames of Agni.
(b) Blood of the sacrifice.
(c) Breath of the gods.
(d) Chestnut horses.
8. In stories associated with "Apala and Indra", what is the second skin that is sloughed off of Apala?
(a) A frog.
(b) An eagle.
(c) A snake.
(d) An alligator.
9. What is Nirrti called in the texts of the Rig Veda?
10. Varuna binds _____ in his snares of disease and misfortune in "Varuna Provoked to Anger".
11. The Asvins are said to be born of the _____ in "The Deeds of the Asvins".
12. In stories associated with "Apala and Indra", what is the third skin that is sloughed off of Apala?
(a) A slave.
(b) A chameleon.
(c) A toad.
(d) A salamander.
13. What is the symbol of an unfaithful woman in "Pururavas and Urvasi"?
(a) The eagle.
(b) The broken twig.
(c) The jackal.
(d) The broken chalice.
14. The family of sages who praise Dawn in "Dawn and the Asvins" are called _____.
15. Who is the mother of the gods?
Short Answer Questions
1. The word for exertion of religious activity in "Agastya and Lopamudra" is _____.
2. Who are the sky and earth parents of?
3. The three vats in "Parjanya, the Cow" are clouds full of rain or vessels full of _____.
4. The _____ in "Indra and the Monkey" is regarded as the indigenous inhabitant, regarded as demonic.
5. In "Vena", Soma is the _____ who roars as he mingles with the waters.
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)