|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 3, Cows of the Rig Veda : Chapter 1, Indra's Cows.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Agni's sons?
(a) The sages.
(b) The poets.
(c) The priests.
(d) The Maruts.
2. The enemy of true speech in "The Origins of Sacred Speech" is said to have been the _____ of the author.
(d) Best friend.
3. Who is a kavi?
(a) A guardian or keeper.
(b) A sacrifical martyr.
(c) A snake handler.
(d) A poet or a saint.
4. Indra wages battle with _____ as well as weapons.
5. Varuna and Mitra are keepers of the _____.
(c) Moral law.
(d) Pressing stones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Savitr is the _____ and the embodiment of twilight.
2. The mane of a horse is a metaphor for what?
3. What turns into a plant that is used as a substitute for the Soma plant in the hymn, "Soma and Indra and the Eagle"?
4. How many people slaughter the horse of Tvastr during sacrifice?
5. In the hymn, "Indra and the Maruts", what type of animal is named as 'the does' that are yoked to the chariot?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)