|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the sisters decide to steal from Laban?
2. What does Inna declare Dinah to be?
3. Who are the only men to enter into the Red Tent?
4. Who nurses Jacob for Rachel?
5. What is Esau's reaction when he finally sees Jacob?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rachel have to wait to marry Jacob?
2. What theme is introduced in this chapter, My Mother's Stories?
3. What is evident about Leah's character from the beginning of the book?
4. Why is Leah sad in My Mother's Stories, Chapter 2?
5. Why do the sisters decide to help Ruti?
6. How do Laban and Jacob mark out their territories?
7. How does Dinah feel when she sees Ruti's dead body?
8. How does the story begin?
9. Who actually steals the idols?
10. Which sister is the most excited to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think the book would have been different if it were written by Gera, Dinah's younger relative? How would the point of view change? Would Dinah's story still be as truthful? Would Gera's relationship to Dinah need to be explained?
Essay Topic 2
1. Do you think it was difficult for Rachel and Leah to define their relationship have competing wives for their husband? How is this awkward? How is it helpful? Were Rachel and Leah ever close before they both wed Jacob?
2. How do you think Jacob defines his relationships with his wives? Do you think he compares them or appreciates them as individuals?
Essay Topic 3
Pick out a character you can relate to in the book except for Dinah. Why did you choose this character? Which of their characteristics remind you of yourself? How would that character act if he/she was in your situation? If you were in his/hers?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)