|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the interests of most males?
2. Sexual reproduction is ___________ to keep the parasites and diseases off guard by creating new variations through each generation.
3. Due to the ________________, traits that increase reproductive successes will spread and those that do not will expire.
4. Lower class individuals tend to have _________.
5. What is the chief competitor to the tangled bank theory and lottery theory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who changed the discussions concerning evolution after the 19th century?
2. To what is the human genome often compared?
3. From a biologist's point of view, why is sexual reproduction not as successful as asexual?
4. What is perplexing about sexual reproduction?
5. What is interesting about the creator of the Vicar of Bray creator?
6. Why are out law genes interesting?
7. What is the lottery theory?
8. How would a pre-Darwin think explain why giraffes have long necks?
9. Explain the story of the fisherman.
10. Why is the history of evolution a never ending arms race?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ridley asserts that experiences as well as biological changes have made male and female minds different. Does Ridley view this as a negative? In the past, how has this statement been derogatory towards women? How has it made women be seen as unequal in the eyes of men?
Essay Topic 2
Ridley ends the book by saying that while the Red Queen Theory is useful, it also can be confusing. The theory also proves and disproves itself all the time. Why do you think he ends the book in this way? Is it to save his reputation in case he is wrong? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Why has sexual intercourse become a private matter among many humans? Is this a societal constraint that we have imposed on ourselves? Or, is it something that was biologically programmed into us? How does this aspect make us different from other species?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)