|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who created the tangled bank theory?
2. Why is this book called The Red Queen?
3. What does the story in Chapter 5 prove for the author?
4. What did Zahavi, a scientist, theorize about reproduction mating?
5. What can a psychiatrist expect to find in all people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does sexual reproduction mostly consist of?
2. What is interesting about the mating skills of the Australian bush turkeys?
3. Why is the book named after the Red Queen?
4. What is interesting about the creator of the Vicar of Bray creator?
5. What is the tangled bank theory?
6. How is the theory supported by science?
7. How does the book begin and why is it important?
8. How would a pre-Darwin think explain why giraffes have long necks?
9. Why is there a ratio of 1:1 in males and females?
10. What does the Martian visitor that observes Earth wonder about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who developed the Red Queen Theory and what does the theory say? How does the Red Queen Theory assert itself throughout the history of animals? Give an example of how the Red Queen Theory works.
Essay Topic 2
In your opinion, why does Ridley choose not to take a side in the debate of homosexuality and genetics? If a link between genetics and homosexuality is found, how will societies have to change? Do you think this is a positive or negative thing?
Essay Topic 3
How did Charles Darwin's findings change the science world as we know it? Please consider the following:
- When did Charles Darwin publicize his theories on evolution?
- What did pre-Darwinian audiences think about evolution?
- Were Darwin's ideas readily accepted at first?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)