|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the story in Chapter 5 prove for the author?
2. What is the tangled bank theory?
3. What are out law genes?
4. What is the chief competitor to the tangled bank theory and lottery theory?
5. The gender ratio is ___________ as an evolutionary pressure in humans.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about the creator of the Vicar of Bray creator?
2. When is it even more important for a female to find a good mate?
3. Why is the book named after the Red Queen?
4. From a biologist's point of view, why is sexual reproduction not as successful as asexual?
5. What secondary quality do men look for in women?
6. Who changed the discussions concerning evolution after the 19th century?
7. What would lead a woman to pick a man based on looks?
8. Why is the history of evolution a never ending arms race?
9. Why are out law genes interesting?
10. To what is the human genome often compared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Most of the time, society dictates the way that women look and behave. How has sexual selection shaped the way women wish to look? How has biology shaped society and cultures? Is biology to blame for the extreme ways that women have shifted themselves to please men as mates?
Essay Topic 2
How has biology intervened to change our ideas of what is beautiful or attractive? Why are men more attracted to thinner women, while women prefer an attractive man who has high status? Give reasons for your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Male Australian turkeys build spectacular mounds. They build these mounds to attract females. When a female shares a mound with a turkey, she is saying she will give him offspring. In this case, how have mound building skills changed?
What has now become important about mound building skills?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)