|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are transposons?
2. How do organisms compete during evolution?
3. What type of civilization do the New Guinea tribes have?
4. From a biologist's point of view, sexual reproduction is more _________ than asexual reproduction.
5. Who has solutions concerning genetics?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would a pre-Darwin think explain why giraffes have long necks?
2. Who changed the discussions concerning evolution after the 19th century?
3. What is the lottery theory?
4. Why is the history of evolution a never ending arms race?
5. After the Vicar of Bray theory, what did scientists try to prove?
6. What does the Martian visitor that observes Earth wonder about?
7. What does the sexy sons theory say?
8. What would lead a woman to pick a man based on looks?
9. What is a bdelloid rotifer?
10. Why do males want to be with many females?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ridley insists that while women prefer monogamy, they like to also have affairs on the side. How could Ridley's research be twisted or misconstrued to blame only women for being unfaithful? How could this possibly give men too much power?
Essay Topic 2
How, in Ridley's eyes, is polygamy a successful situation for sexual reproduction? Explain. Why do most modern societies oppose polygamy? If a group of people wants to be polygamous, do you think they should be able to do so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different tones that Ridley uses throughout the novel. Point out specific tones in different sections. Then describe why the tone works best for that section.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)