|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1970, __________ argued that the individual is merely a container for genes.
2. What is the lottery theory?
3. Due to the ________________, traits that increase reproductive successes will spread and those that do not will expire.
4. In an attempt to "outwit" these killers, organisms engage in _____________.
5. How does Chapter 5 begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does sexual aversion to one's family occur?
2. What biological incentives are passed down to many males?
3. Why is the history of evolution a never ending arms race?
4. Why do males want to be with many females?
5. Unfortunately, what is very common in many primate groups?
6. What does sexual reproduction mostly consist of?
7. Why is male on male violence so detrimental?
8. From a biologist's point of view, why is sexual reproduction not as successful as asexual?
9. What does the Martian visitor that observes Earth wonder about?
10. What seems to be the best for most women and men and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ridley ends the book by saying that while the Red Queen Theory is useful, it also can be confusing. The theory also proves and disproves itself all the time. Why do you think he ends the book in this way? Is it to save his reputation in case he is wrong? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Who developed the Red Queen Theory and what does the theory say? How does the Red Queen Theory assert itself throughout the history of animals? Give an example of how the Red Queen Theory works.
Essay Topic 3
How did Charles Darwin's findings change the science world as we know it? Please consider the following:
- When did Charles Darwin publicize his theories on evolution?
- What did pre-Darwinian audiences think about evolution?
- Were Darwin's ideas readily accepted at first?
This section contains 1,372 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)