|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Vicar of Bray hypothesis?
(a) Sexual reproduction provides rapid speed of evolution.
(b) Sexual reproduction should not exist.
(c) Asexual reproduction provides rapid speed of evolution.
(d) Same-sex reproduction must be understood to understand sexual reproduction.
2. Pre- Darwinian thinkers such as _____________ believed that evolution was a process of individual adaptations that were later passed down to ancestors.
(a) Russel Wallace.
(b) Charles Darwin.
(c) Richard Dawkins.
(d) Jean-Baptiste Lamarck.
3. How do males harm themselves?
(a) Status games.
(c) Uneasy violence.
(d) Uneasy violence and status games.
4. In humans, what does evolution rely on?
(a) Sexual and asexual reproduction.
(b) Sexual Reproduction.
(d) Asexual reproduction.
5. How does Chapter 2 begin?
(a) With diagrams.
(b) Information about the author.
(c) An explanation of sexual reproduction.
(d) With a fictional account of a Martian visitor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have scientists discovered about sexual reproduction versus asexual reproduction?
2. Males are interested in increasing the _________ of sexual partners whereas women are interested in increasing the ________ of sexual partners.
3. From a biologist's point of view, sexual reproduction is more _________ than asexual reproduction.
4. When it is difficult or costly for female birds to choose males, females will choose ___________.
5. What does sex do to the genome of humans and other organisms?
Short Essay Questions
1. How would a pre-Darwin think explain why giraffes have long necks?
2. Why is the book named after the Red Queen?
3. What is a bdelloid rotifer?
4. How is the theory supported by science?
5. What does sexual reproduction mostly consist of?
6. After the Vicar of Bray theory, what did scientists try to prove?
7. Why do males want to be with many females?
8. What is the tangled bank theory?
9. What is interesting about the mating skills of the Australian bush turkeys?
10. Why is the history of evolution a never ending arms race?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)