|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When it is difficult or costly for female birds to choose males, females will choose ___________.
(a) Based on having the most food.
(b) Based on ornamentation.
(c) The prettiest beak.
(d) The male with the nicest wing span.
2. What did Zahavi, a scientist, theorize about reproduction mating?
(a) Male attractiveness hurts a male's ability to survive.
(b) Female attractiveness hurts a male's ability to survive.
(c) Male attractiveness signals the male's ability to survive.
(d) Female attractiveness signals the male's ability to survive.
3. Who created the tangled bank theory?
(a) Charles Darwin.
(b) Leigh Van Valen.
(c) Graham Bell.
(d) Richard Dawkins.
4. What is lekking?
(a) A sexual market where male birds congregate.
(b) A courtship dance among mammals.
(c) A way for birds to mate.
(d) A time of mating for birds.
5. What is the only way to understand why evolution is the way it is?
(a) To ignore its history.
(b) Study the twists and turns of the evolutionary story.
(c) To negate human nature.
(d) Study creationists theories.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the story in Chapter 5 prove for the author?
2. How does Chapter 5 begin?
3. Is attractiveness always the only criteria for mate selection?
4. What gender contains all cytoplasmic genes?
5. Organisms that reproduce sexually will pass immunity or defenses down to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are hermaphrodites unstable?
2. Who changed the discussions concerning evolution after the 19th century?
3. Why is the history of evolution a never ending arms race?
4. Who developed the Red Queen Theory?
5. What is perplexing about sexual reproduction?
6. Why do genes exist in the first place?
7. When is it even more important for a female to find a good mate?
8. Why are out law genes interesting?
9. Why is the book named after the Red Queen?
10. What is interesting about the mating skills of the Australian bush turkeys?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)