|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The gender ratio is ___________ as an evolutionary pressure in humans.
2. Why is this book called The Red Queen?
(a) The author thinks that the title is ironic.
(b) The landscape around the Queen moves as she moves. Evolutionary progress is relative to ones surroundings.
(c) The author has always enjoyed the character from Alice in Wonderland.
(d) It is symbolic of higher level genetics.
3. How does Chapter 2 begin?
(a) An explanation of sexual reproduction.
(b) With a fictional account of a Martian visitor.
(c) Information about the author.
(d) With diagrams.
4. What is lekking?
(a) A courtship dance among mammals.
(b) A way for birds to mate.
(c) A sexual market where male birds congregate.
(d) A time of mating for birds.
5. What does being fast allow for a gazelle to do?
(a) The gazelle is never caught and it throws off the balance of the environment.
(b) The fast gazelle survives and reproduces, thus spreading its genes.
(c) It is able to always kill its prey.
(d) The gazelle gets caught.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the primary part in sexual reproduction?
2. How do species outwit killer viruses?
3. At the end of Chapter 3, what does the author say will be explored in the next chapter?
4. What did Zahavi, a scientist, theorize about reproduction mating?
5. When it is difficult or costly for female birds to choose males, females will choose ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Freud believe concerning incest?
2. What is a good explanation of why male and female brains are different?
3. What is interesting about the mating skills of the Australian bush turkeys?
4. How is the theory supported by science?
5. Why else must men be intelligent?
6. What does sexual reproduction mostly consist of?
7. Who is the most likely to participate in incest?
8. When Ridley says that male and female brains are different, what type of tone does he have?
9. As the author ends the book, what do we begin to understand about the Red Queen Theory?
10. How does the book begin and why is it important?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)