|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the continuous arms race that occurs between organisms?
(a) No one can catch up.
(b) Once an advantage is gained, the loser will adapt to negate the advantage.
(c) World War II.
(d) People will try to kill one another so that their genes may carry on.
2. What do genes seek through the actions of the bodies that contain them?
(d) To be upgraded.
3. Why is this book called The Red Queen?
(a) It is symbolic of higher level genetics.
(b) The author thinks that the title is ironic.
(c) The author has always enjoyed the character from Alice in Wonderland.
(d) The landscape around the Queen moves as she moves. Evolutionary progress is relative to ones surroundings.
4. What is the tangled bank theory?
(a) Sexual reproduction is the riskiest way for humans to reproduce.
(b) It is more advantageous for humans to asexually produce.
(c) Sexual reproduction allows for a smaller number of very exceptional offspring.
(d) Different organisms in an environment saturated with similar organisms have a greater likelihood of survival.
5. In Chapter 5, the animals are unsure of _____________.
(a) Passing desirable genes to offspring.
(b) Being able to find a suitable mate.
(c) The male knowing if the egg is his.
(d) What their mate thinks of them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does this organism present a mystery to the question of reproduction?
2. What gender contains all cytoplasmic genes?
3. What are transposons?
4. What will happen to create more female babies in Chinese and Indian societies?
5. From a biologist's point of view, sexual reproduction is more _________ than asexual reproduction.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)