|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Hanratty brother try to kill Penn?
2. When the phone line to Agent Stone's house is cut, what does Stone give to Penn?
3. Why had J. Edgar Hoover taken the Payton file after Stone had solved the case?
4. According to what Stone tells Penn, who does Stone believe arranged Payton's murder?
5. Why had the person Penn interviews in Colorado been released from his previous job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discrepancy catches Penn's eye about the Fairlane that is sitting in Althea's garden?
2. At Ruby's funeral, Shad Johnson gets up to speak. What does Johnson say?
3. As Penn peeks in the window of the Marston family home, what does Penn see Leo preparing to do?
4. Where does the judge who orders the boxes removed from the Marston family home for safekeeping have the boxes taken to?
5. What is the real reason that Peter Lutjens is being transferred?
6. When Annie is returned to Penn, there is also a note for Penn. What does the note say?
7. When Penn receives a phone call from Althea after the Hanratty execution, what does Althea tell Penn?
8. What announcement does the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge make that shocks Penn?
9. What happened to the woman in the car when she revealed what she had seen the night of the Payton murder?
10. Why does Penn ask Caitlin to accompany him on his upcoming trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Penn Craig's life.
a. Identify three characters or groups who try to kill Penn. Describe the situation and how Penn escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Penn, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Penn Cage, Leo Marston, Austin Mackey, John Portman, and Dwight Stone.
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes is this novel is revenge.
a. Identify three characters that use revenge as their primary motivation. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted out of a need for revenge.
b. Why do these characters seek revenge?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not gone after revenge? Explain your answer.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)