|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Penn visits Agent Stone again, what does Penn learn from the agent?
2. Whom do Penn and his bodyguard go to meet at the warehouse?
3. According to what Stone tells Penn, what motivated the Payton killing?
4. What does Penn want to do in order to force Leo Marston's hand?
5. According to what Stone tells Penn, who does Stone believe arranged Payton's murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Penn's Colorado interviewee give to Penn regarding the Payton case?
2. After Johnson speaks at Ruby's funeral, Althea gets up to speak. What does Althea say?
3. How does Penn respond when he hears the announcement from the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge?
4. Why does Penn ask Caitlin to accompany him on his upcoming trip?
5. What announcement does the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge make that shocks Penn?
6. When Penn arrives at his interview in Colorado, the interviewee does not want to talk. What changes the interviewee's mind?
7. Describe one retaliatory event that occurs after Penn's accusations are published in the paper.
8. At Ruby's funeral, Shad Johnson gets up to speak. What does Johnson say?
9. Why does Caitlin change her mind about publishing Penn's accusations in her paper?
10. When Annie is returned to Penn, there is also a note for Penn. What does the note say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Penn Craig's life.
a. Identify three characters or groups who try to kill Penn. Describe the situation and how Penn escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Penn, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dwight Stone and Penn Cage, the two men that find the truth regarding Del Payton's murder.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Each of these men has a daughter they want to protect, were the men similarly affected by this desire or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Several times in the story, Penn seeks out the help of other people in order to move forward in both his investigation into the Payton murder and in his personal life.
a. Identify at least three times in the story in which Penn reaches out for help.
b. Compare and contrast each of these events in terms of the situation Penn is trying to understand, the effect of his asking for help, and the situation that immediately follows this time.
c. How might Penn's actions have impacted the story's plot if he hadn't reached out for help from others?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)