|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marston finally shows up at his office, who does Penn see with Marston?
2. As Stone and Penn rush from the house with bullets flying behind them, where do the two men flee?
3. Shortly after the Payton murder, Presley had been arrested. For what had Presley been arrested?
4. Where is Peter Lutjens being transferred to?
5. Who taught Penn about explosives and the damage they cause?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the person who interrupts Penn at Biscuit and Blues learn that her birth certificate does not list a father's name?
2. According to Penn, why had Portman wanted Hanratty extradited to Los Angeles?
3. When Penn arrives at his interview in Colorado, the interviewee does not want to talk. What changes the interviewee's mind?
4. What happened to the woman in the car when she revealed what she had seen the night of the Payton murder?
5. What discrepancy catches Penn's eye about the Fairlane that is sitting in Althea's garden?
6. Describe one retaliatory event that occurs after Penn's accusations are published in the paper.
7. After Johnson speaks at Ruby's funeral, Althea gets up to speak. What does Althea say?
8. What does Penn learn from the eyewitness that Penn tracks down upon his return to Natchez?
9. When Penn goes to the apartment of the person who interrupts him at Biscuits and Blues, what does the person who interrupts him tell Penn?
10. What advice does Penn's Colorado interviewee give to Penn regarding the Payton case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the groups of people trying to prevent the truth about Payton's murder from being told. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Does any one group actually end up succeeding? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast how the character of Penn Cage changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Penn's character when he is first introduced in the story, when he moves back to Natchez, when Althea asks for his help finding Del's murderer, when he meets with Stone for the second time, and when he returns to Disney World at the end of the story. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several attempts on characters that either die or are killed.
a. Identify three characters that do not survive until the end of the novel. Describe each character and the circumstances surrounding their deaths.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that do not survive. What does the author have to gain by killing these characters off? What, if anything, does the author lose?
c. How would the story have changed if one or more of your identified characters had survived?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)