|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had the person Penn interviews in Colorado been released from his previous job?
2. As Penn and his bodyguard are at the warehouse, shots are fired. Who is one of the men killed?
3. Who arrives with the police and orders the boxes removed from the Marston family home for safekeeping?
4. After the accusations are published, Penn hires private bodyguards for his family. From where does he hire the bodyguards?
5. When Penn arrives home, he learns that ____________is still inside the house.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Leo Marston arrives at the Marston family home and interrupts Penn and Olivia, what does Leo tell Penn?
2. How does Penn respond when he hears the announcement from the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge?
3. As Penn peeks in the window of the Marston family home, what does Penn see Leo preparing to do?
4. At Ruby's funeral, Shad Johnson gets up to speak. What does Johnson say?
5. Why does Caitlin change her mind about publishing Penn's accusations in her paper?
6. According to Penn, why had Portman wanted Hanratty extradited to Los Angeles?
7. When Annie is returned to Penn, there is also a note for Penn. What does the note say?
8. What happened to the woman in the car when she revealed what she had seen the night of the Payton murder?
9. When Penn arrives at his interview in Colorado, the interviewee does not want to talk. What changes the interviewee's mind?
10. Why did Caitlin originally not want to publish Penn's accusations about Marston in her paper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several attempts on characters that either die or are killed.
a. Identify three characters that do not survive until the end of the novel. Describe each character and the circumstances surrounding their deaths.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that do not survive. What does the author have to gain by killing these characters off? What, if anything, does the author lose?
c. How would the story have changed if one or more of your identified characters had survived?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Penn Craig's life.
a. Identify three characters or groups who try to kill Penn. Describe the situation and how Penn escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Penn, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)