|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the funeral, Althea tells the congregation that Penn is unselfish in his pursuit of the truth. What is Penn's real motivation for pursuing the Payton case?
2. What is the name of the woman who was in the car the night of the Payton murder?
3. Years earlier, from what had the person trapped inside the house saved Penn?
4. When Penn arrives back in Natchez after the trip to Colorado, a fax is waiting for him. This fax tells him about ____________.
5. After Penn gets the person out of the house, Annie is missing. Who returns Annie to Penn?
Short Essay Questions
1. At Ruby's funeral, Shad Johnson gets up to speak. What does Johnson say?
2. Describe one retaliatory event that occurs after Penn's accusations are published in the paper.
3. Where does the judge who orders the boxes removed from the Marston family home for safekeeping have the boxes taken to?
4. Why did Caitlin originally not want to publish Penn's accusations about Marston in her paper?
5. According to Penn, why had Portman wanted Hanratty extradited to Los Angeles?
6. After Johnson speaks at Ruby's funeral, Althea gets up to speak. What does Althea say?
7. According to Caitlin, what is the reason why Agent Stone is reluctant to speak to Penn about the Payton case?
8. What happened to the woman in the car when she revealed what she had seen the night of the Payton murder?
9. What announcement does the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge make that shocks Penn?
10. What does Penn learn from the eyewitness that Penn tracks down upon his return to Natchez?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Penn Cage and Olivia Marston become intimate during two different periods in their lives. Describe the circumstances surrounding each of these periods in which these two characters become involved. Then, examine how the first circumstances and the relationship these characters developed early in their lives impacted the circumstances surrounding their second meeting.
Essay Topic 2
Leo Marston is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Marston helped by his utter confidence? How is Marston hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
In addition to revenge, jealousy is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by jealousy. Describe their reasons for being jealous. Is their jealousy founded? Why or why not?
b. How does jealousy affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not been jealous? Explain your answer
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)