|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caitlin learn from a phone call that she receives at her office?
2. According to what Stone tells Penn, who does Stone believe arranged Payton's murder?
3. As Penn and his bodyguard are at the warehouse, shots are fired. Who is one of the men killed?
4. What is the name of the Marston family home?
5. According to Marston's phone records, to whom has Marston talked several times since Caitlin's first article about Payton was published?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ilse uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Penn is involved with two very different women. Compare and contrast the relationship Penn has with Caitlin and the relationship Penn has with Olivia. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these relationships influence not only Penn, but also the other people that are in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Leo Marston is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Marston helped by his utter confidence? How is Marston hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
This section contains 1,514 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)