|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Penn stops in Huntsville to witness the execution of ___________.
2. What does Caitlin learn from a phone call that she receives at her office?
3. Why had J. Edgar Hoover taken the Payton file after Stone had solved the case?
4. As Penn drives alone after Ruby's funeral, how is Penn feeling?
5. What is the current position held by the person Penn is stunned to see in Huntsville?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Penn peeks in the window of the Marston family home, what does Penn see Leo preparing to do?
2. When Leo Marston arrives at the Marston family home and interrupts Penn and Olivia, what does Leo tell Penn?
3. When Annie is returned to Penn, there is also a note for Penn. What does the note say?
4. When Penn receives a phone call from Althea after the Hanratty execution, what does Althea tell Penn?
5. Why does Penn ask Caitlin to accompany him on his upcoming trip?
6. What happened to the woman in the car when she revealed what she had seen the night of the Payton murder?
7. What announcement does the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge make that shocks Penn?
8. Why does Caitlin change her mind about publishing Penn's accusations in her paper?
9. How does Penn respond when he hears the announcement from the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge?
10. When Penn arrives at his interview in Colorado, the interviewee does not want to talk. What changes the interviewee's mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which Penn Cage and Leo Marston plan for their upcoming court fight. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability ,or lack of ability, to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Penn Cage and Olivia Marston become intimate during two different periods in their lives. Describe the circumstances surrounding each of these periods in which these two characters become involved. Then, examine how the first circumstances and the relationship these characters developed early in their lives impacted the circumstances surrounding their second meeting.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several attempts on characters that either die or are killed.
a. Identify three characters that do not survive until the end of the novel. Describe each character and the circumstances surrounding their deaths.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that do not survive. What does the author have to gain by killing these characters off? What, if anything, does the author lose?
c. How would the story have changed if one or more of your identified characters had survived?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)