|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Stone and Penn rush from the house, Stone is shot. Where is Stone hit?
2. According to the woman who was in the car the night of the Payton murder, whom had she seen at the battery plant?
3. As Penn ponders what he has learned to this point, what does Penn begin to believe the murder was about?
4. Why had the person Penn interviews in Colorado been released from his previous job?
5. Where is Peter Lutjens being transferred to?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Penn receives a phone call from Althea after the Hanratty execution, what does Althea tell Penn?
2. What is the real reason that Peter Lutjens is being transferred?
3. At Ruby's funeral, Shad Johnson gets up to speak. What does Johnson say?
4. How does the person who interrupts Penn at Biscuit and Blues learn that her birth certificate does not list a father's name?
5. Why does Penn ask Caitlin to accompany him on his upcoming trip?
6. Why does Caitlin change her mind about publishing Penn's accusations in her paper?
7. According to Caitlin, what is the reason why Agent Stone is reluctant to speak to Penn about the Payton case?
8. What happened to the woman in the car when she revealed what she had seen the night of the Payton murder?
9. When Penn arrives at his interview in Colorado, the interviewee does not want to talk. What changes the interviewee's mind?
10. When Annie is returned to Penn, there is also a note for Penn. What does the note say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tom Cage and Leo Marston.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that honesty plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of honesty - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Penn Cage and Olivia Marston become intimate during two different periods in their lives. Describe the circumstances surrounding each of these periods in which these two characters become involved. Then, examine how the first circumstances and the relationship these characters developed early in their lives impacted the circumstances surrounding their second meeting.
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes is this novel is revenge.
a. Identify three characters that use revenge as their primary motivation. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted out of a need for revenge.
b. Why do these characters seek revenge?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not gone after revenge? Explain your answer.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)