|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had the person Penn interviews in Colorado been released from his previous job?
2. As Penn and his bodyguard are at the warehouse, shots are fired. Who is one of the men killed?
3. Who arrives with the police and orders the boxes removed from the Marston family home for safekeeping?
4. After the accusations are published, Penn hires private bodyguards for his family. From where does he hire the bodyguards?
5. When Penn arrives home, he learns that ____________is still inside the house.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Leo Marston arrives at the Marston family home and interrupts Penn and Olivia, what does Leo tell Penn?
2. How does Penn respond when he hears the announcement from the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge?
3. As Penn peeks in the window of the Marston family home, what does Penn see Leo preparing to do?
4. At Ruby's funeral, Shad Johnson gets up to speak. What does Johnson say?
5. Why does Caitlin change her mind about publishing Penn's accusations in her paper?
6. According to Penn, why had Portman wanted Hanratty extradited to Los Angeles?
7. When Annie is returned to Penn, there is also a note for Penn. What does the note say?
8. What happened to the woman in the car when she revealed what she had seen the night of the Payton murder?
9. When Penn arrives at his interview in Colorado, the interviewee does not want to talk. What changes the interviewee's mind?
10. Why did Caitlin originally not want to publish Penn's accusations about Marston in her paper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dwight Stone and Penn Cage, the two men that find the truth regarding Del Payton's murder.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Each of these men has a daughter they want to protect, were the men similarly affected by this desire or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
John Portman, Director of the FBI, uses many different tactics to rule his subordinates and try to keep people in line, including Penn Cage.
a. Identify three tactics used by Portman to keep people in line.
b. For each tactic identified, explain why Portman uses this method of control.
c. Compare and contrast these tactics in terms of their operational style, level of involvement, and operational success or failure.
Essay Topic 3
Several times in the story, Penn seeks out the help of other people in order to move forward in both his investigation into the Payton murder and in his personal life.
a. Identify at least three times in the story in which Penn reaches out for help.
b. Compare and contrast each of these events in terms of the situation Penn is trying to understand, the effect of his asking for help, and the situation that immediately follows this time.
c. How might Penn's actions have impacted the story's plot if he hadn't reached out for help from others?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)