|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first task that Penn gives to Caitlin in regard to the Payton case?
2. When the phone line to Agent Stone's house is cut, what does Stone give to Penn?
3. As Penn and Stone part, what does Stone promise to do if he survives the night?
4. Whom do Penn and his bodyguard go to meet at the warehouse?
5. Who accompanies Penn on his stakeout of Marston's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Penn goes to the apartment of the person who interrupts him at Biscuits and Blues, what does the person who interrupts him tell Penn?
2. When Penn receives a phone call from Althea after the Hanratty execution, what does Althea tell Penn?
3. As Penn peeks in the window of the Marston family home, what does Penn see Leo preparing to do?
4. Why does Tom Cage at first not believe that Leo Marston would have been involved in Payton's murder?
5. What is the real reason that Peter Lutjens is being transferred?
6. What does Penn learn from the eyewitness that Penn tracks down upon his return to Natchez?
7. Where does the judge who orders the boxes removed from the Marston family home for safekeeping have the boxes taken to?
8. According to Penn, why had Portman wanted Hanratty extradited to Los Angeles?
9. What discrepancy catches Penn's eye about the Fairlane that is sitting in Althea's garden?
10. After Johnson speaks at Ruby's funeral, Althea gets up to speak. What does Althea say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ilse uses this story to examine the role that truth plays in our daily lives. Examine the author's beliefs through his storytelling. Why would the author choose this story to overlay his demonstration of the consequences realized when the truth is distorted or hidden? What did you learn from the author's discussion on truth? What other avenues, if any, could the author have used to express his beliefs? Would those avenues have been as effective as the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dwight Stone and Penn Cage, the two men that find the truth regarding Del Payton's murder.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Each of these men has a daughter they want to protect, were the men similarly affected by this desire or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Leo Marston is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Marston helped by his utter confidence? How is Marston hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)