|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Penn gets the person out of the house, Annie is missing. Who returns Annie to Penn?
2. According to the fax Penn receives when he arrives back in Natchez after the trip to Colorado, when were the items in question stolen?
3. Shortly after the Payton murder, Presley had been arrested. For what had Presley been arrested?
4. As Penn and his bodyguard are at the warehouse, shots are fired. Who is one of the men killed?
5. What does Caitlin learn from a phone call that she receives at her office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discrepancy catches Penn's eye about the Fairlane that is sitting in Althea's garden?
2. Why did Caitlin originally not want to publish Penn's accusations about Marston in her paper?
3. When Penn receives a phone call from Althea after the Hanratty execution, what does Althea tell Penn?
4. When Penn goes to the apartment of the person who interrupts him at Biscuits and Blues, what does the person who interrupts him tell Penn?
5. After Johnson speaks at Ruby's funeral, Althea gets up to speak. What does Althea say?
6. What advice does Penn's Colorado interviewee give to Penn regarding the Payton case?
7. When Penn arrives at his interview in Colorado, the interviewee does not want to talk. What changes the interviewee's mind?
8. Where does the judge who orders the boxes removed from the Marston family home for safekeeping have the boxes taken to?
9. When Leo Marston arrives at the Marston family home and interrupts Penn and Olivia, what does Leo tell Penn?
10. What is the real reason that Peter Lutjens is being transferred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leo Marston wears different masks in the story. Both a community leader and a behind-the-scenes manipulator, Leo is a study in contradictions. Clearly, he can be a good man, but he just chooses not to be one. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of Leo Marston. How would the entire plot have been affected if Leo had not been successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Leo to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
In addition to revenge, jealousy is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by jealousy. Describe their reasons for being jealous. Is their jealousy founded? Why or why not?
b. How does jealousy affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not been jealous? Explain your answer
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Penn is involved with two very different women. Compare and contrast the relationship Penn has with Caitlin and the relationship Penn has with Olivia. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these relationships influence not only Penn, but also the other people that are in his life?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)