|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 24, as Penn is reviewing the case, Tom returns home with news that an attempt had been made on someone's life. How was the attempt made?
2. According to the woman who was in the car the night of the Payton murder, whom had she seen at the battery plant?
3. According to the person Penn interviews in Colorado, how many witnesses were left out of the official case file?
4. What is the name of Penn's bodyguard?
5. Who does Penn end up going to Biscuits and Blues with for drinks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the judge who orders the boxes removed from the Marston family home for safekeeping have the boxes taken to?
2. What does Penn learn from the eyewitness that Penn tracks down upon his return to Natchez?
3. What discrepancy catches Penn's eye about the Fairlane that is sitting in Althea's garden?
4. When Penn receives a phone call from Althea after the Hanratty execution, what does Althea tell Penn?
5. What is the real reason that Peter Lutjens is being transferred?
6. According to Penn, why had Portman wanted Hanratty extradited to Los Angeles?
7. Why does Tom Cage at first not believe that Leo Marston would have been involved in Payton's murder?
8. What happened to the woman in the car when she revealed what she had seen the night of the Payton murder?
9. Describe one retaliatory event that occurs after Penn's accusations are published in the paper.
10. Why did Caitlin originally not want to publish Penn's accusations about Marston in her paper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which Penn Cage and Leo Marston plan for their upcoming court fight. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability ,or lack of ability, to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Tom Cage and Leo Marston.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that honesty plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of honesty - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)