|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While at the hospital waiting for a helicopter, what happens?
2. As Penn and Caitlin leave the restaurant, where does Penn ask Caitlin to accompany him to?
3. What is the occupation of the eyewitness that Penn tracks down upon his return to Natchez?
4. How does Althea react when Penn tells her that he's going to investigate Payton's murder?
5. As Stone and Penn rush from the house with bullets flying behind them, where do the two men flee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Caitlin originally not want to publish Penn's accusations about Marston in her paper?
2. According to Caitlin, what is the reason why Agent Stone is reluctant to speak to Penn about the Payton case?
3. What advice does Penn's Colorado interviewee give to Penn regarding the Payton case?
4. At Ruby's funeral, Shad Johnson gets up to speak. What does Johnson say?
5. When Penn goes to the apartment of the person who interrupts him at Biscuits and Blues, what does the person who interrupts him tell Penn?
6. When Penn arrives at his interview in Colorado, the interviewee does not want to talk. What changes the interviewee's mind?
7. When Leo Marston arrives at the Marston family home and interrupts Penn and Olivia, what does Leo tell Penn?
8. As Penn peeks in the window of the Marston family home, what does Penn see Leo preparing to do?
9. What does Penn learn from the eyewitness that Penn tracks down upon his return to Natchez?
10. When Penn receives a phone call from Althea after the Hanratty execution, what does Althea tell Penn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Penn Cage, Leo Marston, Austin Mackey, John Portman, and Dwight Stone.
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes is this novel is revenge.
a. Identify three characters that use revenge as their primary motivation. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted out of a need for revenge.
b. Why do these characters seek revenge?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not gone after revenge? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In addition to revenge, jealousy is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by jealousy. Describe their reasons for being jealous. Is their jealousy founded? Why or why not?
b. How does jealousy affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not been jealous? Explain your answer
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)