|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had J. Edgar Hoover taken the Payton file after Stone had solved the case?
2. According to what Stone tells Penn, who does Stone believe arranged Payton's murder?
3. As Penn and Caitlin leave the restaurant, where does Penn ask Caitlin to accompany him to?
4. Why does the Hanratty brother try to kill Penn?
5. As Penn and his bodyguard are at the warehouse, shots are fired. Who is one of the men killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Johnson speaks at Ruby's funeral, Althea gets up to speak. What does Althea say?
2. What is the real reason that Peter Lutjens is being transferred?
3. According to Caitlin, what is the reason why Agent Stone is reluctant to speak to Penn about the Payton case?
4. According to Penn, why had Portman wanted Hanratty extradited to Los Angeles?
5. Why does Tom Cage at first not believe that Leo Marston would have been involved in Payton's murder?
6. When Annie is returned to Penn, there is also a note for Penn. What does the note say?
7. When Penn receives a phone call from Althea after the Hanratty execution, what does Althea tell Penn?
8. Why does Penn ask Caitlin to accompany him on his upcoming trip?
9. Why did Caitlin originally not want to publish Penn's accusations about Marston in her paper?
10. Where does the judge who orders the boxes removed from the Marston family home for safekeeping have the boxes taken to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tom Cage and Leo Marston.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that honesty plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of honesty - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which Penn Cage and Leo Marston plan for their upcoming court fight. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability ,or lack of ability, to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)