|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caitlin learn from a phone call that she receives at her office?
2. After driving around alone after Ruby's funeral, where does Penn finally end up?
3. As Tom and Penn discuss the Payton murder, what do the two men agree is most important as the investigation progresses?
4. As Penn and his bodyguard are at the warehouse, shots are fired. How many men wind up dead?
5. As Penn ponders what he has learned to this point, what does Penn begin to believe the murder was about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the woman in the car when she revealed what she had seen the night of the Payton murder?
2. Why did Caitlin originally not want to publish Penn's accusations about Marston in her paper?
3. As Penn peeks in the window of the Marston family home, what does Penn see Leo preparing to do?
4. When Leo Marston arrives at the Marston family home and interrupts Penn and Olivia, what does Leo tell Penn?
5. What discrepancy catches Penn's eye about the Fairlane that is sitting in Althea's garden?
6. After Johnson speaks at Ruby's funeral, Althea gets up to speak. What does Althea say?
7. According to Caitlin, what is the reason why Agent Stone is reluctant to speak to Penn about the Payton case?
8. When Penn goes to the apartment of the person who interrupts him at Biscuits and Blues, what does the person who interrupts him tell Penn?
9. According to Penn, why had Portman wanted Hanratty extradited to Los Angeles?
10. What is the real reason that Peter Lutjens is being transferred?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tom Cage and Leo Marston.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that honesty plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of honesty - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Penn Cage and Olivia Marston become intimate during two different periods in their lives. Describe the circumstances surrounding each of these periods in which these two characters become involved. Then, examine how the first circumstances and the relationship these characters developed early in their lives impacted the circumstances surrounding their second meeting.
Essay Topic 3
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which Penn Cage and Leo Marston plan for their upcoming court fight. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability ,or lack of ability, to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)