|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Penn gets the person out of the house, Annie is missing. Who returns Annie to Penn?
2. What is the name of Penn's bodyguard?
3. When Penn visits Agent Stone again, what does Penn learn from the agent?
4. When Livy shows up at Penn's house, the two take a drive. Where do they go?
5. According to the records stolen by the person who interrupts Penn and his companion at Biscuits and Blues, what was the fee for her private adoption?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Caitlin change her mind about publishing Penn's accusations in her paper?
2. How does Penn respond when he hears the announcement from the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge?
3. As Penn peeks in the window of the Marston family home, what does Penn see Leo preparing to do?
4. At Ruby's funeral, Shad Johnson gets up to speak. What does Johnson say?
5. What advice does Penn's Colorado interviewee give to Penn regarding the Payton case?
6. After Johnson speaks at Ruby's funeral, Althea gets up to speak. What does Althea say?
7. When Leo Marston arrives at the Marston family home and interrupts Penn and Olivia, what does Leo tell Penn?
8. Why does Tom Cage at first not believe that Leo Marston would have been involved in Payton's murder?
9. How does the person who interrupts Penn at Biscuit and Blues learn that her birth certificate does not list a father's name?
10. When Penn goes to the apartment of the person who interrupts him at Biscuits and Blues, what does the person who interrupts him tell Penn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes is this novel is revenge.
a. Identify three characters that use revenge as their primary motivation. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted out of a need for revenge.
b. Why do these characters seek revenge?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not gone after revenge? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Penn Craig's life.
a. Identify three characters or groups who try to kill Penn. Describe the situation and how Penn escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Penn, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 3
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which Penn Cage and Leo Marston plan for their upcoming court fight. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability ,or lack of ability, to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)