|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Penn arrives home, he learns that ____________is still inside the house.
2. Who arrives with the police and orders the boxes removed from the Marston family home for safekeeping?
3. As Penn ponders what he has learned to this point, what does Penn begin to believe the murder was about?
4. What is the name of the woman who was in the car the night of the Payton murder?
5. According to what Stone tells Penn, what motivated the Payton killing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the real reason that Peter Lutjens is being transferred?
2. What happened to the woman in the car when she revealed what she had seen the night of the Payton murder?
3. Why does Tom Cage at first not believe that Leo Marston would have been involved in Payton's murder?
4. Why did Caitlin originally not want to publish Penn's accusations about Marston in her paper?
5. What advice does Penn's Colorado interviewee give to Penn regarding the Payton case?
6. When Penn receives a phone call from Althea after the Hanratty execution, what does Althea tell Penn?
7. When Annie is returned to Penn, there is also a note for Penn. What does the note say?
8. According to Caitlin, what is the reason why Agent Stone is reluctant to speak to Penn about the Payton case?
9. What does Penn learn from the eyewitness that Penn tracks down upon his return to Natchez?
10. What discrepancy catches Penn's eye about the Fairlane that is sitting in Althea's garden?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Penn Cage and Olivia Marston become intimate during two different periods in their lives. Describe the circumstances surrounding each of these periods in which these two characters become involved. Then, examine how the first circumstances and the relationship these characters developed early in their lives impacted the circumstances surrounding their second meeting.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Penn is involved with two very different women. Compare and contrast the relationship Penn has with Caitlin and the relationship Penn has with Olivia. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these relationships influence not only Penn, but also the other people that are in his life?
Essay Topic 3
Several times in the story, Penn seeks out the help of other people in order to move forward in both his investigation into the Payton murder and in his personal life.
a. Identify at least three times in the story in which Penn reaches out for help.
b. Compare and contrast each of these events in terms of the situation Penn is trying to understand, the effect of his asking for help, and the situation that immediately follows this time.
c. How might Penn's actions have impacted the story's plot if he hadn't reached out for help from others?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)