Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man Penn fought with for the right to prosecute Hanratty?
2. In what year was Payton murdered?
3. Who is the district attorney in Natchez?
4. What happens as Penn is on his way home from the meeting with the man who warned Penn that his family might be in danger?
5. According to the rumors that Penn had heard, to whom is Olivia married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tom Cage at first not believe that Leo Marston would have been involved in Payton's murder?
2. According to Penn's mother, why had she been upset earlier on the phone?
3. When Penn and Tom discuss Tom's options regarding the blackmail, Penn suggests two options to his father. What are they?
4. Although Penn has no proof, what does he suspect about his father's involvement in his wife's final hours?
5. Why does Caitlin change her mind about publishing Penn's accusations in her paper?
6. According to Austin Mackey, why did Mackey not investigate the Payton murder himself?
7. Why does Pinder tell Penn that he's going to pretend to have never met Penn?
8. Why did Presley return the gun he borrowed from Tom?
9. What announcement does the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge make that shocks Penn?
10. When Tom questioned Presley about why he only returned one gun, not two, what did Presley say?
Identify the groups of people trying to prevent the truth about Payton's murder from being told. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Does any one group actually end up succeeding? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Penn Cage, Leo Marston, Austin Mackey, John Portman, and Dwight Stone.
Compare and contrast Tom Cage and Leo Marston.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that honesty plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of honesty - both positively and negatively?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)