|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the father of the girl Penn was involved with during high school?
2. While Penn was still in high school, who often worked for the father of the girl Penn was involved with?
3. Who is Payton's widow?
4. What does one of the Hanratty brothers periodically send to Penn?
5. What is the name of the black woman who works for the Cage family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Penn confused by the comments made by the woman who threw the drink in Penn's face at the fundraising party?
2. According to the story Penn tells during his interview, why was Payton murdered?
3. How does Penn feel when he returns to his hometown to begin life anew?
4. After Hanratty is convicted, what does Hanratty's brother do?
5. When Penn announces to his parents that he is moving back to his hometown, how do Penn's parents react?
6. When Presley and Tom met after Hillman had been killed, what did Tom ask Presley?
7. When Penn first confronts his father about what's bothering his father, how does Tom react?
8. How does Penn explain to his interviewer that Johnson is not courting the black vote?
9. Although Penn has no proof, what does he suspect about his father's involvement in his wife's final hours?
10. Why does Penn decide to move back to his hometown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Penn Cage, Leo Marston, Austin Mackey, John Portman, and Dwight Stone.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts on characters that either die or are killed.
a. Identify three characters that do not survive until the end of the novel. Describe each character and the circumstances surrounding their deaths.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that do not survive. What does the author have to gain by killing these characters off? What, if anything, does the author lose?
c. How would the story have changed if one or more of your identified characters had survived?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dwight Stone and Penn Cage, the two men that find the truth regarding Del Payton's murder.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Each of these men has a daughter they want to protect, were the men similarly affected by this desire or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)