|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Tom, who raped Penn's aunt years earlier?
2. According to the person Penn goes to see after telling his father that he's bought the gun, what happened to the Payton file?
3. As Penn and his interviewer discuss racism in the south, how does Penn react?
4. When the two women appear on Tom's doorstep, how do the women view Penn?
5. Where do Penn and his interviewer end up meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Leo Marston respond when Ray Presley accuses Leo of setting Presley up for jail?
2. What discrepancy catches Penn's eye about the Fairlane that is sitting in Althea's garden?
3. Although Penn has no proof, what does he suspect about his father's involvement in his wife's final hours?
4. At Ruby's funeral, Shad Johnson gets up to speak. What does Johnson say?
5. Where does the judge who orders the boxes removed from the Marston family home for safekeeping have the boxes taken to?
6. How does Penn explain to his interviewer that Johnson is not courting the black vote?
7. According to Penn's mother, why had she been upset earlier on the phone?
8. After hearing Presley's response about why Presley only returned one gun, not two, what does Tom believe?
9. How does Penn feel when he returns to his hometown to begin life anew?
10. When Penn announces to his parents that he is moving back to his hometown, how do Penn's parents react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dwight Stone and Penn Cage, the two men that find the truth regarding Del Payton's murder.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Each of these men has a daughter they want to protect, were the men similarly affected by this desire or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Several times in the story, Penn seeks out the help of other people in order to move forward in both his investigation into the Payton murder and in his personal life.
a. Identify at least three times in the story in which Penn reaches out for help.
b. Compare and contrast each of these events in terms of the situation Penn is trying to understand, the effect of his asking for help, and the situation that immediately follows this time.
c. How might Penn's actions have impacted the story's plot if he hadn't reached out for help from others?
Essay Topic 3
John Portman, Director of the FBI, uses many different tactics to rule his subordinates and try to keep people in line, including Penn Cage.
a. Identify three tactics used by Portman to keep people in line.
b. For each tactic identified, explain why Portman uses this method of control.
c. Compare and contrast these tactics in terms of their operational style, level of involvement, and operational success or failure.
This section contains 1,959 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)