|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Penn was still in high school, who often worked for the father of the girl Penn was involved with?
2. What happened to Tom when he was the defendant in a malpractice suit years earlier?
3. How much time passes before Presley begins talking about Hillman's murder?
4. Who picks up Penn and his daughter from the airport?
5. How much money does Penn offer to Ray Presley to buy Presley's gun?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Penn has no proof, what does he suspect about his father's involvement in his wife's final hours?
2. When Penn asks his father if he ever found out the reason behind Marston's attack, what is Tom's reply?
3. When Tom questioned Presley about why he only returned one gun, not two, what did Presley say?
4. When Presley and Tom met after Hillman had been killed, what did Tom ask Presley?
5. When the two women leave Tom's house, what has Penn decided to do for them?
6. After hearing Presley's response about why Presley only returned one gun, not two, what does Tom believe?
7. Why does Penn decide to move back to his hometown?
8. When Penn first confronts his father about what's bothering his father, how does Tom react?
9. When Penn and Tom discuss Tom's options regarding the blackmail, Penn suggests two options to his father. What are they?
10. According to Austin Mackey, why did Mackey not investigate the Payton murder himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Penn Cage, Leo Marston, Austin Mackey, John Portman, and Dwight Stone.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Penn Craig's life.
a. Identify three characters or groups who try to kill Penn. Describe the situation and how Penn escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Penn, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Penn Cage changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Penn's character when he is first introduced in the story, when he moves back to Natchez, when Althea asks for his help finding Del's murderer, when he meets with Stone for the second time, and when he returns to Disney World at the end of the story. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)