|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Penn and his interviewer discuss racism in the south, how does Penn react?
2. According to Tom, in what year was Penn's aunt raped?
3. Who picks up Penn and his daughter from the airport?
4. How long before the story begins does Penn Cage's wife die?
5. What is the occupation of Penn Cage's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Presley return the gun he borrowed from Tom?
2. When the two women leave Tom's house, what has Penn decided to do for them?
3. Why is Penn confused by the comments made by the woman who threw the drink in Penn's face at the fundraising party?
4. According to Austin Mackey, why did Mackey not investigate the Payton murder himself?
5. When Penn sees Mackey at the fundraising party, why is Mackey angry with Penn?
6. When Penn first meets with the person he agrees to be interviewed by, why is Penn stunned?
7. When Penn calls home to tell his parents that he is moving back to his hometown, he senses something is wrong. Why does Penn not press his mother for details?
8. Why does Sam Jacobs warn Penn about the Payton murder as they leave the fund-raising party?
9. When Tom questioned Presley about why he only returned one gun, not two, what did Presley say?
10. According to Sam Jacobs, what two things drive the Marston family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tom Cage and Leo Marston.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that honesty plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of honesty - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
Leo Marston is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Marston helped by his utter confidence? How is Marston hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
Why did the author choose "The Quiet Game" as the book's title? How does the title foreshadow the events that unfold in the story, the struggles of the main characters, and the violence portrayed in the story?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)