Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the man Penn fought with for the right to prosecute Hanratty?
2. In what year was Payton murdered?
3. Who is the district attorney in Natchez?
4. What happens as Penn is on his way home from the meeting with the man who warned Penn that his family might be in danger?
5. According to the rumors that Penn had heard, to whom is Olivia married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tom Cage at first not believe that Leo Marston would have been involved in Payton's murder?
2. According to Penn's mother, why had she been upset earlier on the phone?
3. When Penn and Tom discuss Tom's options regarding the blackmail, Penn suggests two options to his father. What are they?
4. Although Penn has no proof, what does he suspect about his father's involvement in his wife's final hours?
5. Why does Caitlin change her mind about publishing Penn's accusations in her paper?
6. According to Austin Mackey, why did Mackey not investigate the Payton murder himself?
7. Why does Pinder tell Penn that he's going to pretend to have never met Penn?
8. Why did Presley return the gun he borrowed from Tom?
9. What announcement does the person Penn sees getting off an airplane in Baton Rouge make that shocks Penn?
10. When Tom questioned Presley about why he only returned one gun, not two, what did Presley say?
In addition to revenge, jealousy is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by jealousy. Describe their reasons for being jealous. Is their jealousy founded? Why or why not?
b. How does jealousy affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not been jealous? Explain your answer
One of the main themes is this novel is revenge.
a. Identify three characters that use revenge as their primary motivation. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted out of a need for revenge.
b. Why do these characters seek revenge?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not gone after revenge? Explain your answer.
John Portman, Director of the FBI, uses many different tactics to rule his subordinates and try to keep people in line, including Penn Cage.
a. Identify three tactics used by Portman to keep people in line.
b. For each tactic identified, explain why Portman uses this method of control.
c. Compare and contrast these tactics in terms of their operational style, level of involvement, and operational success or failure.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)