|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Penn do when he sees that Leo Marston has arrived at the fundraising party?
2. According to Tom, who raped Penn's aunt years earlier?
3. When Penn has a dream that someone is trying to tell him something, whom does Penn see in his dream?
4. Where was Hanratty's brother shot?
5. How much money does Penn buy the Payton file for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ike Ransom refuse to elaborate when he tells Penn who he believes was involved in the Payton murder?
2. When Penn calls home to tell his parents that he is moving back to his hometown, he senses something is wrong. Why does Penn not press his mother for details?
3. When Penn and Tom discuss Tom's options regarding the blackmail, Penn suggests two options to his father. What are they?
4. Why does Pinder tell Penn that he's going to pretend to have never met Penn?
5. According to Sam Jacobs, what two things drive the Marston family?
6. When Penn asks his father if he ever found out the reason behind Marston's attack, what is Tom's reply?
7. When Penn first confronts his father about what's bothering his father, how does Tom react?
8. When Penn first confronts his father about what's bothering his father, what does Penn think is going on?
9. Why is Penn confused by the comments made by the woman who threw the drink in Penn's face at the fundraising party?
10. According to the story Penn tells during his interview, why was Payton murdered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Tom Cage and Leo Marston.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that honesty plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of honesty - both positively and negatively?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the groups of people trying to prevent the truth about Payton's murder from being told. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Does any one group actually end up succeeding? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)