|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the story initially describe Ray Presley?
2. What is the nickname of the person who follows Penn home from the fundraiser?
3. When the two women tell Penn the story of Payton's murder, how does Penn react?
4. According to Tom, who raped Penn's aunt years earlier?
5. Who is the district attorney in Natchez?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Penn and Tom discuss Tom's options regarding the blackmail, Penn suggests two options to his father. What are they?
2. When Penn first confronts his father about what's bothering his father, how does Tom react?
3. Although Penn has no proof, what does he suspect about his father's involvement in his wife's final hours?
4. When the two women leave Tom's house, what has Penn decided to do for them?
5. When Penn calls home to tell his parents that he is moving back to his hometown, he senses something is wrong. Why does Penn not press his mother for details?
6. According to Austin Mackey, why did Mackey not investigate the Payton murder himself?
7. According to Penn's FBI contact, what reason was given for sealing Payton's case files?
8. After hearing Presley's response about why Presley only returned one gun, not two, what does Tom believe?
9. When Tom questioned Presley about why he only returned one gun, not two, what did Presley say?
10. According to Sam Jacobs, what two things drive the Marston family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Penn Cage and Olivia Marston become intimate during two different periods in their lives. Describe the circumstances surrounding each of these periods in which these two characters become involved. Then, examine how the first circumstances and the relationship these characters developed early in their lives impacted the circumstances surrounding their second meeting.
Essay Topic 2
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot, as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Penn is involved with two very different women. Compare and contrast the relationship Penn has with Caitlin and the relationship Penn has with Olivia. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these relationships influence not only Penn, but also the other people that are in his life?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)