|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which old school friend does Penn run into at the fundraising party?
2. Whom does Penn suggest Tom talk to about Tom's options regarding the blackmail?
3. What kind of gun was used to kill Hillman?
4. How does the story initially describe Tom Cage?
5. According to Sam, what rumor has he heard about Olivia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Although Penn has no proof, what does he suspect about his father's involvement in his wife's final hours?
2. At Ruby's funeral, Shad Johnson gets up to speak. What does Johnson say?
3. According to the story Penn tells during his interview, why was Payton murdered?
4. Why did Caitlin originally not want to publish Penn's accusations about Marston in her paper?
5. When Penn goes to the apartment of the person who interrupts him at Biscuits and Blues, what does the person who interrupts him tell Penn?
6. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, two women appear on Tom's doorstep. Why are the women there?
7. According to Dan Kelly, how has John Portman been able to follow every move of Penn during the investigation?
8. When Penn's mother confesses why she has been upset, why is Penn stunned by her news?
9. According to Penn's mother, why had she been upset earlier on the phone?
10. When Annie is returned to Penn, there is also a note for Penn. What does the note say?
Essay Topic 1
Leo Marston wears different masks in the story. Both a community leader and a behind-the-scenes manipulator, Leo is a study in contradictions. Clearly, he can be a good man, but he just chooses not to be one. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of Leo Marston. How would the entire plot have been affected if Leo had not been successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Leo to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Penn is involved with two very different women. Compare and contrast the relationship Penn has with Caitlin and the relationship Penn has with Olivia. Then, compare and contrast these two women. How do these relationships influence not only Penn, but also the other people that are in his life?
Essay Topic 3
In addition to revenge, jealousy is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by jealousy. Describe their reasons for being jealous. Is their jealousy founded? Why or why not?
b. How does jealousy affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not been jealous? Explain your answer
This section contains 1,947 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)