|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After committing a racially-motivated murder in California, where did Hanratty and his brothers escape to?
2. As Penn and his interviewer discuss racism in the south, how does Penn react?
3. How does Penn characterize the man who convinces Penn to meet with him by telling Penn that his family is in danger?
4. What is the name of Penn Cage's wife?
5. How does the story initially describe Ray Presley?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shad Johnson want Penn to leave the Payton case alone?
2. When Penn and Tom discuss Tom's options regarding the blackmail, Penn suggests two options to his father. What are they?
3. According to Penn's FBI contact, what reason was given for sealing Payton's case files?
4. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, two women appear on Tom's doorstep. Why are the women there?
5. Why does Ike Ransom refuse to elaborate when he tells Penn who he believes was involved in the Payton murder?
6. Why does Penn decide to move back to his hometown?
7. After hearing Presley's response about why Presley only returned one gun, not two, what does Tom believe?
8. When Penn's mother confesses why she has been upset, why is Penn stunned by her news?
9. According to Austin Mackey, why did Mackey not investigate the Payton murder himself?
10. When Penn sees Mackey at the fundraising party, why is Mackey angry with Penn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes is this novel is revenge.
a. Identify three characters that use revenge as their primary motivation. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted out of a need for revenge.
b. Why do these characters seek revenge?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not gone after revenge? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Several times in the story, Penn seeks out the help of other people in order to move forward in both his investigation into the Payton murder and in his personal life.
a. Identify at least three times in the story in which Penn reaches out for help.
b. Compare and contrast each of these events in terms of the situation Penn is trying to understand, the effect of his asking for help, and the situation that immediately follows this time.
c. How might Penn's actions have impacted the story's plot if he hadn't reached out for help from others?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Penn Craig's life.
a. Identify three characters or groups who try to kill Penn. Describe the situation and how Penn escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Penn, as well as these characters' motivations.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)