|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the girl Penn was involved with during high school?
2. When Penn suggests to his father that they need to talk, where do the two men go?
3. According to the rumors that Penn had heard, where is Olivia living?
4. According to Tom, in what year was Penn's aunt raped?
5. According to Tom, who raped Penn's aunt years earlier?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Penn announces to his parents that he is moving back to his hometown, how do Penn's parents react?
2. Why does Shad Johnson want Penn to leave the Payton case alone?
3. Why does Pinder tell Penn that he's going to pretend to have never met Penn?
4. Why does Ike Ransom refuse to elaborate when he tells Penn who he believes was involved in the Payton murder?
5. When Penn's mother confesses why she has been upset, why is Penn stunned by her news?
6. Why is Penn confused by the comments made by the woman who threw the drink in Penn's face at the fundraising party?
7. Why did Presley return the gun he borrowed from Tom?
8. When Penn first meets with the person he agrees to be interviewed by, why is Penn stunned?
9. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, two women appear on Tom's doorstep. Why are the women there?
10. According to Penn's FBI contact, what reason was given for sealing Payton's case files?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Penn Cage and Olivia Marston become intimate during two different periods in their lives. Describe the circumstances surrounding each of these periods in which these two characters become involved. Then, examine how the first circumstances and the relationship these characters developed early in their lives impacted the circumstances surrounding their second meeting.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Penn Cage, Leo Marston, Austin Mackey, John Portman, and Dwight Stone.
Essay Topic 3
Several times in the story, Penn seeks out the help of other people in order to move forward in both his investigation into the Payton murder and in his personal life.
a. Identify at least three times in the story in which Penn reaches out for help.
b. Compare and contrast each of these events in terms of the situation Penn is trying to understand, the effect of his asking for help, and the situation that immediately follows this time.
c. How might Penn's actions have impacted the story's plot if he hadn't reached out for help from others?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)