|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the rumors that Penn had heard, where is Olivia living?
2. How long has Penn been away from Natchez for before he returns to begin a new life?
3. What company is considering Natchez for its new plant location?
4. What is the name of the paper that Penn's interviewer works for?
5. When the two women tell Penn the story of Payton's murder, how does Penn react?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Penn sees Mackey at the fundraising party, why is Mackey angry with Penn?
2. When Penn's mother confesses why she has been upset, why is Penn stunned by her news?
3. When Penn first confronts his father about what's bothering his father, what does Penn think is going on?
4. Although Penn has no proof, what does he suspect about his father's involvement in his wife's final hours?
5. After Hanratty is convicted, what does Hanratty's brother do?
6. When Penn announces to his parents that he is moving back to his hometown, how do Penn's parents react?
7. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, two women appear on Tom's doorstep. Why are the women there?
8. When Presley and Tom met after Hillman had been killed, what did Tom ask Presley?
9. According to Austin Mackey, why did Mackey not investigate the Payton murder himself?
10. According to Penn's FBI contact, what reason was given for sealing Payton's case files?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses several different literary techniques as the story is told in regard to the story's flow. Describe the techniques of both flashbacks and foreshadowing. How are each of these techniques used in the story? Give specific examples of each technique. Why might the author have chosen to use both of these techniques in the story? Was the story enhanced by the use of these two techniques? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Penn Cage, Leo Marston, Austin Mackey, John Portman, and Dwight Stone.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast how the character of Penn Cage changes as the story progresses. Be sure to include your assessment of Penn's character when he is first introduced in the story, when he moves back to Natchez, when Althea asks for his help finding Del's murderer, when he meets with Stone for the second time, and when he returns to Disney World at the end of the story. Use examples from the story to support your answer.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)