|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long before the story begins does Penn Cage's wife die?
2. According to the rumors that Penn had heard, where is Olivia living?
3. Which old school friend does Penn run into at the fundraising party?
4. Where do Penn and his interviewer end up meeting?
5. What is the name of the FBI agent that has helped Penn in the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Penn and Tom discuss Tom's options regarding the blackmail, Penn suggests two options to his father. What are they?
2. After Hanratty is convicted, what does Hanratty's brother do?
3. When Penn announces to his parents that he is moving back to his hometown, how do Penn's parents react?
4. After hearing Presley's response about why Presley only returned one gun, not two, what does Tom believe?
5. Why does Shad Johnson want Penn to leave the Payton case alone?
6. When Penn's mother confesses why she has been upset, why is Penn stunned by her news?
7. When Penn calls home to tell his parents that he is moving back to his hometown, he senses something is wrong. Why does Penn not press his mother for details?
8. According to Sam Jacobs, what two things drive the Marston family?
9. How does Penn explain to his interviewer that Johnson is not courting the black vote?
10. When Penn first meets with the person he agrees to be interviewed by, why is Penn stunned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which Penn Cage and Leo Marston plan for their upcoming court fight. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability ,or lack of ability, to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Leo Marston is a man who is supremely confident. Identify at least three instances from the story that highlight his confidence. How is Marston helped by his utter confidence? How is Marston hurt by his confidence? Provide examples of each.
Essay Topic 3
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot, as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)