|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Tom was the defendant in a malpractice suit years earlier, who was the prosecuting attorney?
2. According to the rumors that Penn had heard, to whom is Olivia married?
3. What is the name of the waitress that interrupts Penn's interview?
4. Who convinces Penn to meet with him by telling Penn that his family is in danger?
5. According to Sam, what rumor has he heard about Olivia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Penn angry at Olivia when Penn learns the identity of the baby's father?
2. Why does Tom Cage at first not believe that Leo Marston would have been involved in Payton's murder?
3. Why does Penn ask Caitlin to accompany him on his upcoming trip?
4. According to the story Penn tells during his interview, why was Payton murdered?
5. What advice does Penn's Colorado interviewee give to Penn regarding the Payton case?
6. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, two women appear on Tom's doorstep. Why are the women there?
7. When Penn announces to his parents that he is moving back to his hometown, how do Penn's parents react?
8. Although Penn has no proof, what does he suspect about his father's involvement in his wife's final hours?
9. When Presley and Tom met after Hillman had been killed, what did Tom ask Presley?
10. When Penn's mother confesses why she has been upset, why is Penn stunned by her news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the groups of people trying to prevent the truth about Payton's murder from being told. Compare and contrast these groups in terms of overall number, organization, overall motivation, ability to plan, and success achieved. How are they similar? How are they different? Does any one group actually end up succeeding? Why or why not? Support your answer with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, there are several attempts made on Penn Craig's life.
a. Identify three characters or groups who try to kill Penn. Describe the situation and how Penn escapes.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that try to kill Penn, as well as these characters' motivations.
Essay Topic 3
Leo Marston wears different masks in the story. Both a community leader and a behind-the-scenes manipulator, Leo is a study in contradictions. Clearly, he can be a good man, but he just chooses not to be one. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of Leo Marston. How would the entire plot have been affected if Leo had not been successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Leo to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,982 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)