|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the person following Penn believe was responsible for the murder of Payton?
2. How much money does Penn end up paying to Ray Presley to buy Presley's gun?
3. As Penn and his interviewer discuss racism in the south, how does Penn react?
4. According to Sam, what rumor has he heard about Olivia?
5. When Tom was the defendant in a malpractice suit years earlier, who was the prosecuting attorney?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Tom questioned Presley about why he only returned one gun, not two, what did Presley say?
2. When Penn's mother confesses why she has been upset, why is Penn stunned by her news?
3. When Presley and Tom met after Hillman had been killed, what did Tom ask Presley?
4. When Penn first meets with the person he agrees to be interviewed by, why is Penn stunned?
5. Why did Presley return the gun he borrowed from Tom?
6. How does Penn explain to his interviewer that Johnson is not courting the black vote?
7. Why does Pinder tell Penn that he's going to pretend to have never met Penn?
8. When the two women leave Tom's house, what has Penn decided to do for them?
9. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, two women appear on Tom's doorstep. Why are the women there?
10. Why does Ike Ransom refuse to elaborate when he tells Penn who he believes was involved in the Payton murder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, the novel is a series of contrasts designed to heighten the reader's awareness and draw the reader deeper into the story and the intricacies of each of the story's characters. Identify at least three contrasts that are used in the novel. Describe these contrasts and determine how they impact the story's plot, as well as the reader's emotional involvement in the characters' lives. If these identified contrasts were not included in the story, what impact would their absence have on the storyline, the characters' development, and the readers' involvement?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes is this novel is revenge.
a. Identify three characters that use revenge as their primary motivation. For each character, describe an instance in which the character acted out of a need for revenge.
b. Why do these characters seek revenge?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not gone after revenge? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
John Portman, Director of the FBI, uses many different tactics to rule his subordinates and try to keep people in line, including Penn Cage.
a. Identify three tactics used by Portman to keep people in line.
b. For each tactic identified, explain why Portman uses this method of control.
c. Compare and contrast these tactics in terms of their operational style, level of involvement, and operational success or failure.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)