|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the story initially describe Tom Cage?
2. Which of the characters at the fundraising party is an alcoholic?
3. According to Tom, who had Tom told about Ellen's rape in his office?
4. Who is the father of the girl Penn was involved with during high school?
5. Of what is Penn accused by the woman who throws a drink in his face?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ike Ransom refuse to elaborate when he tells Penn who he believes was involved in the Payton murder?
2. Why does Sam Jacobs warn Penn about the Payton murder as they leave the fund-raising party?
3. According to Sam Jacobs, what two things drive the Marston family?
4. How does Penn feel when he returns to his hometown to begin life anew?
5. When Penn and Tom discuss Tom's options regarding the blackmail, Penn suggests two options to his father. What are they?
6. When the two women leave Tom's house, what has Penn decided to do for them?
7. After Hanratty is convicted, what does Hanratty's brother do?
8. When Tom questioned Presley about why he only returned one gun, not two, what did Presley say?
9. According to Penn's FBI contact, what reason was given for sealing Payton's case files?
10. When Presley and Tom met after Hillman had been killed, what did Tom ask Presley?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, there are several attempts on characters that either die or are killed.
a. Identify three characters that do not survive until the end of the novel. Describe each character and the circumstances surrounding their deaths.
b. Compare and contrast the characters that do not survive. What does the author have to gain by killing these characters off? What, if anything, does the author lose?
c. How would the story have changed if one or more of your identified characters had survived?
Essay Topic 2
Planning is an essential part of the story for several characters, as well as for the author to ensure that his plot moves forward. Identify instances in which Penn Cage and Leo Marston plan for their upcoming court fight. Identify instances in which each of these men fails to plan well. What is revealed about each of these characters through their ability ,or lack of ability, to plan? How is the strength of the author revealed in his ability to have his characters adequately plan? Be sure to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Tom Cage and Leo Marston.
a. How are the two characters similar? How are they different?
b. Compare the role that honesty plays in each of their lives. How is each character affected by the concept of honesty - both positively and negatively?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)