|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Penn Cage's occupation?
2. What is the occupation of the man Penn fought with for the right to prosecute Hanratty now?
3. In what year was Payton murdered?
4. What has Presley recently been diagnosed with?
5. Who does the person following Penn believe was responsible for the murder of Payton?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the story Penn tells during his interview, why was Payton murdered?
2. According to Sam Jacobs, what two things drive the Marston family?
3. While Tom and Penn are fighting about the newspaper article, two women appear on Tom's doorstep. Why are the women there?
4. When Penn first meets with the person he agrees to be interviewed by, why is Penn stunned?
5. Why does Pinder tell Penn that he's going to pretend to have never met Penn?
6. When Presley and Tom met after Hillman had been killed, what did Tom ask Presley?
7. Why does Shad Johnson want Penn to leave the Payton case alone?
8. When Penn's mother confesses why she has been upset, why is Penn stunned by her news?
9. After hearing Presley's response about why Presley only returned one gun, not two, what does Tom believe?
10. When Penn asks his father if he ever found out the reason behind Marston's attack, what is Tom's reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Dwight Stone and Penn Cage, the two men that find the truth regarding Del Payton's murder.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Each of these men has a daughter they want to protect, were the men similarly affected by this desire or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characteristics, roles, loyalties, and agendas of the following people in the story: Penn Cage, Leo Marston, Austin Mackey, John Portman, and Dwight Stone.
Essay Topic 3
John Portman, Director of the FBI, uses many different tactics to rule his subordinates and try to keep people in line, including Penn Cage.
a. Identify three tactics used by Portman to keep people in line.
b. For each tactic identified, explain why Portman uses this method of control.
c. Compare and contrast these tactics in terms of their operational style, level of involvement, and operational success or failure.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)