|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After committing a racially-motivated murder in California, where did Hanratty and his brothers escape to?
2. Who tells Penn that there are files in the basement?
3. How much time passes before Presley begins talking about Hillman's murder?
4. How does the story initially describe Ray Presley?
5. According to the article published after Penn's interview, what does Penn call Payton's murderers?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Hanratty is convicted, what does Hanratty's brother do?
2. After hearing Presley's response about why Presley only returned one gun, not two, what does Tom believe?
3. When Penn sees Mackey at the fundraising party, why is Mackey angry with Penn?
4. When Penn first meets with the person he agrees to be interviewed by, why is Penn stunned?
5. Why did Presley return the gun he borrowed from Tom?
6. Why does Ike Ransom refuse to elaborate when he tells Penn who he believes was involved in the Payton murder?
7. When Penn calls home to tell his parents that he is moving back to his hometown, he senses something is wrong. Why does Penn not press his mother for details?
8. When Presley and Tom met after Hillman had been killed, what did Tom ask Presley?
9. Why does Pinder tell Penn that he's going to pretend to have never met Penn?
10. Why does Sam Jacobs warn Penn about the Payton murder as they leave the fund-raising party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leo Marston wears different masks in the story. Both a community leader and a behind-the-scenes manipulator, Leo is a study in contradictions. Clearly, he can be a good man, but he just chooses not to be one. Identify, then compare and contrast the different sides of Leo Marston. How would the entire plot have been affected if Leo had not been successful at deceiving those around him? Why is it necessary for Leo to wear different masks? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
In addition to revenge, jealousy is a central theme of this novel.
a. Identify three characters that are motivated by jealousy. Describe their reasons for being jealous. Is their jealousy founded? Why or why not?
b. How does jealousy affect these characters, their decisions, and their actions?
c. What is the outcome for these characters? Were they successful in their endeavors, or would they have been more successful if they had not been jealous? Explain your answer
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dwight Stone and Penn Cage, the two men that find the truth regarding Del Payton's murder.
a. How are the two characters similar in terms of their professional lives? How are they different?
b. How are the two characters similar in their personality characteristics, strengths, and weaknesses? How are they different?
c. Each of these men has a daughter they want to protect, were the men similarly affected by this desire or not? Explain your answers and your reasoning.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)