|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Tom feel about Lady Jane and Lady Elizabeth?
2. For what does Hertford go to the prince?
3. To where is Tom escorted for dinner?
4. What does Edward and the youth not realize?
5. What does John Canty do when the prince struggles against him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom dream about on the night the king dies? How does he feel when he wakes the next morning?
2. What does Tom do that Edward wouldn't do while eating? How does everyone react?
3. What does Edward see when he wakes in the barn and what do the people talk about?
4. What does Edward command Miles to do before the prince will go to sleep? What does Miles do first when morning comes?
5. What is Tom doing when the prince first does not return?
6. What does Miles find when he returns to the room where he left the prince? What does a servant tell him?
7. Why does John tell the family they must leave the house? How does Edward finally escape from them?
8. Who lives in the Canty's house besides the family?
9. What does Tom do on the first day in which they believe he is the king?
10. Where is Miles looking for Edward? What does he think Edward might have done?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The huge gap between nobility and the peasantry in 16th century England is apparent by simply stating that Tom's family did not welcome his birth, while the entire country rejoiced at the arrival of Prince Edward.
1. Do you think the above statement is true? Why or why not? Use examples from The Prince and the Pauper to support your ideas.
2. Discuss the implications that exist for a family below the poverty level to add another child to the family.
3. How do you think not being wanted by his parents affected Tom emotionally? Might it have affected him in other ways? Use examples from The Prince and the Pauper to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Prince and the Pauper. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Twain chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Twain chooses the metaphors he does?
3. Discuss Twain's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliff hangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Twain use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
For his first royal dinner, Tom is conducted to an ornate room where a table is set for one. He is surrounded by courtiers who stand in his presence as he eats.
1. If Edward often ate alone with simply his courtiers around him, how do you think that may have affected his emotions and his perceptions of the world? Use examples from The Prince and the Pauper to support your ideas.
2. Discuss, in depth, how you would feel if you had to eat every night like Tom did for his first royal dinner.
3. What are the kinds of false thinking that might be engendered by this type of dining? Could one gain an inflated sense of self? Use examples from The Prince and the Pauper to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)