|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Henry rename the church where Edward stopped?
2. To where do Tom, Jane, and Elizabeth walk?
3. How does Edward get away from the Cantys?
4. John Canty drags the prince to _____________.
5. What must the king do in order to finish up the affair with the Duke of Norfolk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who lives in the Canty's house besides the family?
2. Who arrives at the Guildhall as Hendon takes the prince to safety? What is the result of this arrival?
3. Where does the prince go when he is lost in the crowd?
4. What does Tom do on the first day in which they believe he is the king?
5. What do the people in the barn do when Edward tells them he is the king of England?
6. What happens when Lady Jane Grey visits Tom as the prince?
7. What does Edward see when he wakes in the barn and what do the people talk about?
8. How does Mrs. Canty test Edward to see if he is Tom? What is the result of the test?
9. How does Tom like the king's duties? What criminals does he see a couple of days after he becomes the king?
10. Describe the place where Tom is taken for dinner.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The huge gap between nobility and the peasantry in 16th century England is apparent by simply stating that Tom's family did not welcome his birth, while the entire country rejoiced at the arrival of Prince Edward.
1. Do you think the above statement is true? Why or why not? Use examples from The Prince and the Pauper to support your ideas.
2. Discuss the implications that exist for a family below the poverty level to add another child to the family.
3. How do you think not being wanted by his parents affected Tom emotionally? Might it have affected him in other ways? Use examples from The Prince and the Pauper to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Before Mark Twain begins his tale, his indication that it might or might not have actually happened is a way of suggesting that the facts themselves are secondary. What counts most, the author implies, are the truths to be found behind the events.
1. Discuss, in depth, what you think is meant by the above statement. Use examples from The Prince and the Pauper to illustrate your discussion.
2. List three truths you believe can be found behind the actual plot or actions in The Prince and the Pauper and explain why you believe those to be truths.
3. In your opinion, what is Mark Twain's agenda is for writing The Prince and the Pauper? Use examples from The Prince and the Pauper to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
The prince finds that he is in the company of a gang of thieves and beggars, but Twain interjects a note of social concern by having Ruffler discuss farmers who have been forced off their property by landowners eager to enter the more profitable sheep business. One of the men named Yokel describes the oppressive political and economic conditions that forced him into a life of crime.
1. Do you think oppression or economic conditions are justification for resorting to crime? Why or why not? Use examples from The Prince and the Pauper to support your ideas.
2. If a farmer farms another person's land with the agreement that some of his or her harvest will go to the landowner, do you think the landowner has any obligation to maintain that arrangement if the owner decides he/she would rather raise sheep? Why or why not?
3. In the above situation, the farmers are farming land, raising families, and paying for the use of the land. Also, one might suppose they have made improvements on the land. However, the land is owned by another person. Although the life or rights of the farmer means the land stays in farming, the rights of the landowner are trampled if he/she doesn't have the right to do as he/she pleases. Describe how you might solve the situation if you were a judge and this case came to your court.
This section contains 1,274 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)