|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sandy think of Mr. Lloyd’s paintings of Rose?
2. What distortion does Sandy see about Rose in the paintings?
3. What does Sandy say Mr. Lloyd’s paintings reveal about the man?
4. What does Miss Brodie do on Sundays?
5. What does Sandy say about sex that year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Miss Brodie tell Sandy about being betrayed and what is Sandy’s reply?
2. How does Miss Brodie’s aspirations for Sandy and Rose turn out?
3. For what special circumstance does Miss Brodie chose Sandy and why?
4. Why does the headmistress divide the set and how does what she does work out for her?
5. Who quizzes the girls in 1937 about Miss Brodie and how do the girls feel about Miss Brodie by that year?
6. What ends Miss Brodie’s involvement with Mr. Lowther?
7. What does Sandy say to Mr. Lloyd about his paintings and what is his response?
8. What happens to Joyce Emily and why?
9. Upon whom does Miss Brodie say all of Miss Brodie’s ambitions are fixed and why?
10. What does Sandy see when she looks at Mr. Lloyd’s paintings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
Compare/contrast the characters of Sandy Stranger and Eunice Gardiner . How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Miss Brodie and Miss Mackay. Compare and contrast Mr. Lloyd and Mr. Lowther. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 2
Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think most people want a happy ending in a novel? Do you think The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie would qualify as a novel with a happy ending? Why or why not? What do you think are three reasons to read fiction and do you think The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie fulfills these three reasons? Why or why not?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)