|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Miss Brodie send out of art class for coughing?
2. How does Miss Brodie feel towards Mussolini’s troops?
3. What does Miss Brodie say about her students?
4. What does Miss Brodie say education is?
5. What do the girls mean they say Miss Brodie has her prime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mary Macgregor do right after World War II starts and how does she get along with her boyfriend? Do any patterns from your youth still occur?
2. Who is in Miss Brodie’s set and for what is each of them known?
3. How does Miss Brodie view education?
4. Why does Miss Brodie invite the girls to dinner in Chapter 1, how does the staff at the school feel about Miss Brodie, and why does she stay at Blaine?
5. How does Mary Macgregor die and what event is shown at the same time her death is shown?
6. Who is Joyce Emily Hammond?
7. What did the book call 1931 for the Brodie set?
8. Who does Sandy Stranger invite for tea on Sandy’s tenth birthday and what do they eat and discuss about happiness and about Miss Brodie?
9. What does Sandy call the police officer and how does this officer enter into Sandy’s life?
10. Who are talking to the girls at the beginning of Chapter 1 and how can the girls be distinguished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie belongs to the literary fiction genre. Discuss the following:
Define the term "genre" and name three other genres in addition to the literary fiction. What are the advantages and disadvantages of assigning a genre to a novel? What do you think is the difference between a literary fiction and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
Compare/contrast the characters of Sandy Stranger and Eunice Gardiner . How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples. Compare/contrast the characters of Miss Brodie and Miss Mackay. Compare and contrast Mr. Lloyd and Mr. Lowther. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss what you think are the characteristics of a successful novel and why The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie is or is not a successful novel based on your criteria. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)