|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the diseased organ washed in after it was removed from the body of the patient in the surgical procedure?
2. What do Don Juan and Carlos decide to do after they have their conversation at the house?
3. Carlos begins to notice that his mind switches back and forth between mental __________ and mental fatigue as he is talking with Don Juan.
4. Don Juan reminds Carlos that a sorcerer works to shatter the __________ of self reflection, according to his teachings.
5. Where does Carlos decide to take Don Juan when Carlos begins to think that something is wrong with Don Juan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Juan decide to do after he nearly drowns in the river?
2. What does Don Juan say is the best quality of death, aside from giving a person to stalk themselves?
3. What does Don Juan tell Carlos about the memories that he is struggling to recall?
4. How does Don Juan describe the sort of stalking which is necessary in order to find memories again?
5. What is the explanation that Don Juan offers for the surgery that Carlos saw in Mexico City?
6. What does a sorcerer need to do in order to abandon the mirror of self-reflection, according to the teachings of Don Juan?
7. What does Don Juan have to do in order to stay in the hacienda with the women in order to hide from the monstrous man?
8. What did Carlos see when he watched the psychic healer in Mexico City, according to the story he tells Don Juan?
9. Why does Carlos become upset when he and Don Juan return to Don Juan's house?
10. What does Don Juan say about the idea of impeccability, what it is and what it is not, according to the teachings of Don Juan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don Juan teaches that there are four moods when it comes to stalking and they must all be mastered.
Part 1: Why do you think there are moods to stalking?
Part 2: What other moods do you think might be able to be linked to the idea of stalking?
Part 3: How do you think these moods of stalking impact the person who is doing the stalking?
Essay Topic 2
Don Juan admits that it is difficult to grasp the abstract concepts he is teaching.
Part 1: Do you think it's possible to teach abstract concepts?
Part 2: How do you think Don Juan could make the learning easier for Carlos?
Part 3: Why do you think the lessons that Don Juan has to share are abstract?
Essay Topic 3
Carlos decides to go on another adventure with Don Juan and the other naguals in this story.
Part 1: Why do you think Carlos continues to go back to these sorcerers to learn?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos' thinking has shifted since he was a young student in anthropology?
Part 3: Do you think you would want to go to study with the people that Carlos does? Why or why not?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)