|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the story that Carlos tells Don Juan when he is asked to talk about his childhood? Carlos used to be light and agile when he played _____________.
2. Who calls Carlos a petty, wasteful, opinionated, coercive, short tempered, and conceited man in the course of the story?
3. To whose house do Carlos and Don Juan return when they are done with their lessons with the others?
4. Don Juan tells Carlos there are ______ stages when it comes to connecting with one's intent, according to his teachings.
5. What does Carlos begin to suspect is wrong with Don Juan when they are traveling together in the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Juan say about the idea of impeccability, what it is and what it is not, according to the teachings of Don Juan?
2. What is the explanation that Don Juan offers for the surgery that Carlos saw in Mexico City?
3. What does Carlos remember about the time that Don Juan was talking about moving the assemblage point?
4. What does Don Juan say will happen if he and Carlos are rational about the way they approach the jaguar?
5. What does a nagual aim to do, according to Don Juan, when he is teaching Carlos in this section?
6. What is the great advantage of moving the assemblage point, according to Don Juan?
7. What does ruthlessness require, according to the teachings of Don Juan?
8. How does Don Juan describe the sort of stalking which is necessary in order to find memories again?
9. What did Carlos see when he watched the psychic healer in Mexico City, according to the story he tells Don Juan?
10. What does Carlos insist that he is while Don Juan insists he is something else entirely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many of the stories of the naguals, it seems they needed to have a moment of suffering before being ready to train.
Part 1: Do you think suffering is necessary in order to ready a person for learning to be a sorcerer?
Part 2: What can suffering teach a person about themselves?
Part 3: Why do you think so many powerful people have had to go through suffering?
Essay Topic 2
Carlos decides to go on another adventure with Don Juan and the other naguals in this story.
Part 1: Why do you think Carlos continues to go back to these sorcerers to learn?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos' thinking has shifted since he was a young student in anthropology?
Part 3: Do you think you would want to go to study with the people that Carlos does? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The excess energy of the woman seems to be stronger than the man with whom she is having a sexual encounter.
Part 1: Why do you think the woman was the one with all of the extra energy in this scene?
Part 2: Do you think that women might be powerful sorcerers as well?
Part 3: Do you think men or women are more powerful in terms of being naguals and sorcerers?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)