|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Death can stop challenging sorcerers when they take a ______ into the inconceivable, according to the stories of Don Juan.
2. Carlos begins to notice that his mind switches back and forth between mental __________ and mental fatigue as he is talking with Don Juan.
3. Man __________ find themselves stuck between being average men and sorcerers, though they all know they are moving toward being sorcerers.
4. Carlos begins to have a recollection of a time he and Don Juan were in ___________ in the state of Chihuahua.
5. To what area do Don Juan and Carlos return a few days later in the story, according to the writing of Carlos?
Short Essay Questions
1. Don Juan emphasizes that the first principle of sorcery is what, even though it is the thing that happens first?
2. What does Don Juan have to do in order to stay in the hacienda with the women in order to hide from the monstrous man?
3. What does Don Juan decide to do after he nearly drowns in the river?
4. What do the others in the restaurant recognize Don Juan as when he walks into the restaurant?
5. Why does Carlos become upset when he and Don Juan return to Don Juan's house?
6. What does Don Juan tell Carlos about the memories that he is struggling to recall?
7. What is the dissonant element that Don Juan introduces to Carlos as a part of his teaching?
8. What does ruthlessness require, according to the teachings of Don Juan?
9. What does Carlos remember about the time that Don Juan was talking about moving the assemblage point?
10. What does Don Juan say will happen if he and Carlos are rational about the way they approach the jaguar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Don Juan disguises himself in order to get away from a monster in his training days.
Part 1: How do you think Don Juan was able to disguise himself?
Part 2: Do you think it's possible to disguise oneself without magic?
Part 3: Why do you think you might want to disguise yourself in your modern life?
Essay Topic 2
Don Juan teaches Carlos through the stories he tells, rather than teaching specific lessons.
Part 1: Why do you think stories are used instead of actual lessons?
Part 2: Do you think you learn better from stories or from lessons from a teacher?
Part 3: How do you think stories are able to teach better than a lesson as you might learn from a book?
Essay Topic 3
Don Juan admits that it is difficult to grasp the abstract concepts he is teaching.
Part 1: Do you think it's possible to teach abstract concepts?
Part 2: How do you think Don Juan could make the learning easier for Carlos?
Part 3: Why do you think the lessons that Don Juan has to share are abstract?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)