|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was enslaved by a foreman at a hacienda in an isolated area, according to the book?
2. Carlos doesn't actually want to ______________, but he is doing so anyways since that is how Don Juan is teaching him about the culture.
3. Understanding the __________ means moving beyond the comprehensible, according to the teaching of Don Juan, but Carlos is confused.
4. Where does Elias act as a hermit, according to the book's stories and descriptions?
5. Every act that a ________ does is performed in order to strengthen their connection with intent or as response to the link.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as a result of the small tap that Don Juan gives to Carlos on the shoulder?
2. What is the purpose of the cave in which Carlos and Don Juan stay, according to the teachings of Don Juan?
3. When Carlos wonders whether God is intent, what do the others have to say about this idea?
4. What is the relationship between humans and the energy fields which make up the world, according to the teachings of Don Juan?
5. When does seeing occur, according to the teachings of Don Juan?
6. What does Don Juan tell Carlos his problem is in relation to spirit?
7. What happened after Don Juan was imprisoned on a hacienda, but then attempts to escape from this situation?
8. What is the purpose of every act of a nagual, according to the teachings of Don Juan?
9. What does Don Juan tell Carlos he has to control in order to advance in his learning, according to the teachings of Don Juan?
10. Why should sorcerers have clear memories of crossing over into the new perpetual threshold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carlos decides to go on another adventure with Don Juan and the other naguals in this story.
Part 1: Why do you think Carlos continues to go back to these sorcerers to learn?
Part 2: How do you think Carlos' thinking has shifted since he was a young student in anthropology?
Part 3: Do you think you would want to go to study with the people that Carlos does? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The knock of the spirit forces entry into the idea of intent, according to Don Juan's teachings.
Part 1: How do you think that the spirit might knock a person?
Part 2: Why do you think it's intent which builds the edifice in which a person must enter?
Part 3: What do you think this lesson has to teach someone in the modern world?
Essay Topic 3
Don Juan admits that it is difficult to grasp the abstract concepts he is teaching.
Part 1: Do you think it's possible to teach abstract concepts?
Part 2: How do you think Don Juan could make the learning easier for Carlos?
Part 3: Why do you think the lessons that Don Juan has to share are abstract?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)