|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes the stage after Stepan Verkhovensky?
2. Why is The Possessed an inaccurate transposition of the story of the swine in Luke?
3. What happens to the swine in the story from Luke?
4. The first chapter of Part 3 is set the day after what?
5. What is the real purpose of the gathering at Virginsky's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the moral of The Possessed? Is conversion to Christianity a real solution to the problems the book presents? Is there a difference between the social problems the book presents us with and the problems of individual morality that the characters face?
Essay Topic 2
Following the allegory of the swine from Luke, are the demons cast out of the society of the novel? Are they cast out of Russian society by Dostoevsky's novel?
Essay Topic 3
Peter Verkhovensky spends much of the book agitating for an uprising, but the violence results in the deaths of many of the main characters and the arrest of many of Peter's co-conspirators. Is the action of the book a success insofar as it stirred up trouble in the society of the town? Or is it a failure insofar as it did not accomplish a complete reinvention of Russian society?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)