|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it a mistake to charge a high price for the fête?
2. Why does Lisa want to leave Stavrogin at the beginning of the Part 3, Chapter 3?
3. What reason does the narrator have for visiting Lembke?
4. Which revolutionary dissociates himself from murder as a strategy?
5. How does the audience respond to Karminazov's reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are women depicted in The Possessed? Are they mere symbols of sexual attributes like desirability and innocence and seduction, or are they individuals with complex feelings and thoughts? How are they distinguished from the male characters, or are they treated as similarly-independent, self-reliant souls?
Essay Topic 2
Peter Verkhovensky spends much of the book agitating for an uprising, but the violence results in the deaths of many of the main characters and the arrest of many of Peter's co-conspirators. Is the action of the book a success insofar as it stirred up trouble in the society of the town? Or is it a failure insofar as it did not accomplish a complete reinvention of Russian society?
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of The Possessed? Is it a realistic novel of Russian life, or is it something else? A philosophical melodrama? A political thriller? An allegory of radicalism?
This section contains 959 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)