|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the revolutionaries dispose of Shatov's body?
2. What is Peter Verkhovensky concerned about when he rushes out of Virginsky's house?
3. Which one of these characters is NOT in Peter's secret group?
4. What effect does the birth of Shatov's child have on him?
5. Whom does Stavrogin defend from Peter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter Verkhovensky exploits the blindness, weakness and gullibility of many characters as he works his wiles. Does the action of the book change any of those characters so that they are immune from Peter's machinations? Asked another way--is The Possessed a moral book that teaches a lesson, or a cynical book that teaches that there are no lessons, only different actors with different motivations?
Essay Topic 2
Is the duel between Gaganov and Stavrogin a metaphor for the book? Is the murder of Captain and Mary Lebyatkin a better metaphor? What event in the book is most representative of the book as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
What images or symbols repeat throughout The Possessed? How are images built into symbols, and what symbolic resonance do images acquire? Choose three images, and describe the symbolic associations the obtain throughout the book.
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)