Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has public opinion shifted on the eve of the fête?
2. For whom are the swine a metaphor in the story of Luke?
3. What cover do the fifteen people use for gathering at Virginsky's house?
4. What resonance does the story of the swine from Luke have with the novel?
5. What does Stavrogin believe in?
Essay Topic 1
What role does innocence play in The Possessed? Is it always sacrificed, as Mary Lebyatkin and Shatov are? Does it endure anywhere, in spite of Mary and Shatov's murders?
Essay Topic 2
Peter Verkhovensky exploits the blindness, weakness and gullibility of many characters as he works his wiles. Does the action of the book change any of those characters so that they are immune from Peter's machinations? Asked another way--is The Possessed a moral book that teaches a lesson, or a cynical book that teaches that there are no lessons, only different actors with different motivations?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the crowd in The Possessed? How do the gathered factory workers or the guests at the fÃªte behave like one character with a unified will or behavior of their own? How does Dostoevsky describe the crowds? What power do they have? What weaknesses?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)