|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the real purpose of the gathering at Virginsky's house?
2. What had some poor people done to prepare for the fête?
3. Who alone knows the purpose of the meeting at Virginsky's house?
4. What is Peter Verkhovensky concerned about when he rushes out of Virginsky's house?
5. What effect does the birth of Shatov's child have on him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter Verkhovensky spends much of the book agitating for an uprising, but the violence results in the deaths of many of the main characters and the arrest of many of Peter's co-conspirators. Is the action of the book a success insofar as it stirred up trouble in the society of the town? Or is it a failure insofar as it did not accomplish a complete reinvention of Russian society?
Essay Topic 2
What kinds of violence are depicted in The Possessed? Are there different rules and expectations for each kind of violence? Are some kinds of violence more effective in resolving problems than others? Is violence ever a useful tool in The Possessed, or is it always merely destructive?
Essay Topic 3
Is there a consistent morality in The Possessed? Do violent people always pay a price for their acts of violence? Are criminals and scoundrels always caught and punished, or made to suffer somehow? Is innocent suffering redeemed?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)