|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the audience respond to Karminazov's reading?
2. What does Stavrogin believe in?
3. What does Stavrogin look for and not find in the final chapters?
4. What does Blum say about the search at Peter Verkhovensky's?
5. Who does the chief of police begin to arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Shatov's wife's pregnancy a source of real hope in The Possessed, or is the hope undermined by her infidelity and Shatov's murder? Does the childbirth redeem anyone in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Peter Verkhovensky spends much of the book agitating for an uprising, but the violence results in the deaths of many of the main characters and the arrest of many of Peter's co-conspirators. Is the action of the book a success insofar as it stirred up trouble in the society of the town? Or is it a failure insofar as it did not accomplish a complete reinvention of Russian society?
Essay Topic 3
Are Shatov and Stepan Verkhovensky heroes in The Possessed? Why or why not? Are Peter Verkhovensky and Stavrogin heroes? Are they villains?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)