|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stepan Verkhovensky set off for after the fête?
2. Who chases after Lisa when she leaves Stavrogin's house?
3. Which one of these characters is NOT in Peter's secret group?
4. Whom does Stavrogin defend from Peter?
5. What crime is Fedka implicated in?
Essay Topic 1
Are Shatov and Stepan Verkhovensky heroes in The Possessed? Why or why not? Are Peter Verkhovensky and Stavrogin heroes? Are they villains?
Essay Topic 2
How is authority portrayed in The Possessed? What kinds of authority are there, and what are the limits of their power? Are any new roles with new authorities brought into being through the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Peter Verkhovensky spends much of the book agitating for an uprising, but the violence results in the deaths of many of the main characters and the arrest of many of Peter's co-conspirators. Is the action of the book a success insofar as it stirred up trouble in the society of the town? Or is it a failure insofar as it did not accomplish a complete reinvention of Russian society?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)