|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which revolutionary dissociates himself from murder as a strategy?
2. Where do Lisa and the man she meets rush off to after they meet?
3. Who does Peter allow into the fête?
4. Who had a hand in manipulating Lisa to be with Stavrogin?
5. What is the overall message of The Possessed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is The Possessed a Christian novel? What kind of Christianity does it align with? Old Testament or New Testament? In what ways does the novel seem atheistic, or existential?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of The Possessed? Is it a realistic novel of Russian life, or is it something else? A philosophical melodrama? A political thriller? An allegory of radicalism?
Essay Topic 3
Peter Verkhovensky spends much of the book agitating for an uprising, but the violence results in the deaths of many of the main characters and the arrest of many of Peter's co-conspirators. Is the action of the book a success insofar as it stirred up trouble in the society of the town? Or is it a failure insofar as it did not accomplish a complete reinvention of Russian society?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)