|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Russia's salvation seems to reside where, in Dostoevsky's opinion?
2. What does Virginsky say to the radicals after Shatov's wife gives birth?
3. What reason does the narrator have for visiting Lembke?
4. What is Shigalyov's plan for the new social organization?
5. Who do the townspeople believe killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is the duel between Gaganov and Stavrogin a metaphor for the book? Is the murder of Captain and Mary Lebyatkin a better metaphor? What event in the book is most representative of the book as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of literature in The Possessed? What kinds of literature are there, and what do characters expect from writers and from novels and from tracts? What effect do writers and literature have on society?
Essay Topic 3
What is Dostoevsky's perspective on the action in The Possessed? Is he narrating in all seriousness, or is he ironically or satirically detached from his characters?
This section contains 279 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)