|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the real purpose of the gathering at Virginsky's house?
2. Why does Lisa want to leave Stavrogin at the beginning of the Part 3, Chapter 3?
3. What does Stavrogin look for and not find in the final chapters?
4. What does Lisa overhear of Stavrogin's conversation with Peter?
5. What does Stepan ask of the police during the search?
Essay Topic 1
Is Shatov's wife's pregnancy a source of real hope in The Possessed, or is the hope undermined by her infidelity and Shatov's murder? Does the childbirth redeem anyone in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What is the economy of The Possessed? Where does money come from, and does money come from any new places or reside in any new places as a result of the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Is there a consistent morality in The Possessed? Do violent people always pay a price for their acts of violence? Are criminals and scoundrels always caught and punished, or made to suffer somehow? Is innocent suffering redeemed?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)