|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Lisa find after she leaves Stavrogin's?
2. Why is Peter intent on killing Shatov?
3. What is the overall message of The Possessed?
4. What effect does the birth of Shatov's child have on him?
5. What does Lisa overhear of Stavrogin's conversation with Peter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Shatov's wife's pregnancy a source of real hope in The Possessed, or is the hope undermined by her infidelity and Shatov's murder? Does the childbirth redeem anyone in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What does Russianness consist of in The Possessed? Who possesses it? Who defends it? Who attacks it?
Essay Topic 3
How are women depicted in The Possessed? Are they mere symbols of sexual attributes like desirability and innocence and seduction, or are they individuals with complex feelings and thoughts? How are they distinguished from the male characters, or are they treated as similarly-independent, self-reliant souls?
This section contains 275 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)