|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does the narrator have for visiting Lembke?
2. Who does the chief of police begin to arrest?
3. Why do the townspeople think the Lebyatkins were killed?
4. Whom does Lisa find after she leaves Stavrogin's?
5. Who had a hand in manipulating Lisa to be with Stavrogin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the crowd in The Possessed? How do the gathered factory workers or the guests at the fÃªte behave like one character with a unified will or behavior of their own? How does Dostoevsky describe the crowds? What power do they have? What weaknesses?
Essay Topic 2
Is the duel between Gaganov and Stavrogin a metaphor for the book? Is the murder of Captain and Mary Lebyatkin a better metaphor? What event in the book is most representative of the book as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
What is Dostoevsky's perspective on the action in The Possessed? Is he narrating in all seriousness, or is he ironically or satirically detached from his characters?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)