|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stepan Verkhovensky wander into in the beginning of Chapter 7 of Part 3?
2. Russia's salvation seems to reside where, in Dostoevsky's opinion?
3. What is Peter Verkhovensky concerned about when he rushes out of Virginsky's house?
4. For whom are the swine a metaphor in the story of Luke?
5. Shatov is happy to see his wife in spite of what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kinds of violence are depicted in The Possessed? Are there different rules and expectations for each kind of violence? Are some kinds of violence more effective in resolving problems than others? Is violence ever a useful tool in The Possessed, or is it always merely destructive?
Essay Topic 2
What role does innocence play in The Possessed? Is it always sacrificed, as Mary Lebyatkin and Shatov are? Does it endure anywhere, in spite of Mary and Shatov's murders?
Essay Topic 3
What is the economy of The Possessed? Where does money come from, and does money come from any new places or reside in any new places as a result of the action of the novel?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)