|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who alone knows the purpose of the meeting at Virginsky's house?
2. Why is The Possessed an inaccurate transposition of the story of the swine in Luke?
3. What is the real purpose of the gathering at Virginsky's house?
4. Who does Peter blame for Mary and Captain Lebyatkin's murder?
5. Why does Lisa want to leave Stavrogin at the beginning of the Part 3, Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the economy of The Possessed? Where does money come from, and does money come from any new places or reside in any new places as a result of the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What does Russianness consist of in The Possessed? Who possesses it? Who defends it? Who attacks it?
Essay Topic 3
Following the allegory of the swine from Luke, are the demons cast out of the society of the novel? Are they cast out of Russian society by Dostoevsky's novel?
This section contains 262 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)