|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it a mistake to charge a high price for the fête?
2. Who does Peter leave Virginsky's house to meet?
3. Which one of these characters is NOT in Peter's secret group?
4. Who does the chief of police begin to arrest?
5. What does Dostoevsky seem to believe is the problem with Russia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the moral of The Possessed? Is conversion to Christianity a real solution to the problems the book presents? Is there a difference between the social problems the book presents us with and the problems of individual morality that the characters face?
Essay Topic 2
Peter Verkhovensky spends much of the book agitating for an uprising, but the violence results in the deaths of many of the main characters and the arrest of many of Peter's co-conspirators. Is the action of the book a success insofar as it stirred up trouble in the society of the town? Or is it a failure insofar as it did not accomplish a complete reinvention of Russian society?
Essay Topic 3
What is the economy of The Possessed? Where does money come from, and does money come from any new places or reside in any new places as a result of the action of the novel?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)