|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem might Stavrogin have with his plan?
2. What is Peter planning throughout Part II of The Possessed?
3. How many previous marriages has Stepan Verkhovensky had?
4. What is Captain Lebyatkin's reputation?
5. What is Mr. Lembke's professional background?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to Nicholas' confession that he is married to Mary?
2. What does Mrs. Stavrogin find out about Nicholas' relationship with Mss Lebyatikin?
3. Where was Shatov's wife, Mary, before she returned to him, and what condition is she in when she returns?
4. What do we know about the poem, A Noble Character?
5. How does Stepan Verhovensky feel about Verkhovensky's marriage to Dasha?
6. What is Gaganov's relationship with Stavrogin?
7. Describe Nicholas Stavrogin's status in Russian society.
8. How does Shatov respond to Lisa Tushin's proposal?
9. What injuries are inflicted during the duel?
10. Why does Lisa Tushin approach Shatov?
Essay Topic 1
What role does innocence play in The Possessed? Is it always sacrificed, as Mary Lebyatkin and Shatov are? Does it endure anywhere, in spite of Mary and Shatov's murders?
Essay Topic 2
Are Shatov and Stepan Verkhovensky heroes in The Possessed? Why or why not? Are Peter Verkhovensky and Stavrogin heroes? Are they villains?
Essay Topic 3
What images or symbols repeat throughout The Possessed? How are images built into symbols, and what symbolic resonance do images acquire? Choose three images, and describe the symbolic associations the obtain throughout the book.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)