|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Nicholas think of Mary Lebyatkin after he got to know her?
2. How many previous marriages has Stepan Verkhovensky had?
3. How does Nicholas Stavrogin kill a man?
4. What is Mr. Lembke's professional background?
5. What last-minute effort does Stavrogin make to avert the duel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mrs. Stavrogin's relationship with Verkhovensky.
2. What does Peter tell us about why Nicholas Stavrogin treated Miss Lebyatkin the way he did?
3. What happens when Peter mentions that Stepan believes that Dasha has fallen into disrepute in Switzerland?
4. What do Erkel and Peter tell Shatov when they meet with him?
5. How does Stavrogin try to avoid the duel with Gaganov?
6. Who is responsible for killing Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
7. What does Mrs. Stavrogin find out about Nicholas' relationship with Mss Lebyatikin?
8. What is Verkhovensky's status in Russian society?
9. What is Kirilov's view of life, and how does Peter respond to it?
10. How do people explain the gathering of workers from the Spigulin factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Russianness consist of in The Possessed? Who possesses it? Who defends it? Who attacks it?
Essay Topic 2
Peter Verkhovensky spends much of the book agitating for an uprising, but the violence results in the deaths of many of the main characters and the arrest of many of Peter's co-conspirators. Is the action of the book a success insofar as it stirred up trouble in the society of the town? Or is it a failure insofar as it did not accomplish a complete reinvention of Russian society?
Essay Topic 3
Following the allegory of the swine from Luke, are the demons cast out of the society of the novel? Are they cast out of Russian society by Dostoevsky's novel?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)