|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mrs. Stavrogin invite into the conversation that starts Chapter 5?
2. How are the youth of the town behaving at the time of the fête?
3. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's relationship with Mrs. Stavrogin?
4. What are the terms under which Stepan departs Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
5. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people explain the gathering of workers from the Spigulin factory?
2. What does Mrs. Stavrogin suggest as a result of her sense that she is getting older?
3. What does Peter ask his father after he (Peter) has recounted the story of Stavrogin and Miss Lebyatkin?
4. Where was Shatov's wife, Mary, before she returned to him, and what condition is she in when she returns?
5. What happens when Shatov shows up to meet Peter and Erkel?
6. What is on the schedule for the fête, and what is Julia Lembke's position in town on the eve of the fête?
7. Where does Stepan go after he leaves Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
8. How many people end up involved in the conversation between Mrs. Stavrogin and Shatov at the beginning of Chapter 3 in Part I?
9. What is Verkhovensky's status in Russian society?
10. What objections are raised to murdering Shatov, and who raises them?
Essay Topic 1
How are women depicted in The Possessed? Are they mere symbols of sexual attributes like desirability and innocence and seduction, or are they individuals with complex feelings and thoughts? How are they distinguished from the male characters, or are they treated as similarly-independent, self-reliant souls?
Essay Topic 2
What images or symbols repeat throughout The Possessed? How are images built into symbols, and what symbolic resonance do images acquire? Choose three images, and describe the symbolic associations the obtain throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Are Shatov and Stepan Verkhovensky heroes in The Possessed? Why or why not? Are Peter Verkhovensky and Stavrogin heroes? Are they villains?
This section contains 1,555 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)