|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nicholas Stavrogin's tutor?
2. What is Verkhovensky's status in Moscow and St. Petersburg society?
3. In what way do Virginsky and Shatov resemble one another?
4. Whom does Nicholas visit in Part II, Chapter 2?
5. Mrs. Lembke bestows her favors in spite of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Erkel and Peter tell Shatov when they meet with him?
2. Describe Nicholas Stavrogin's status in Russian society.
3. What effect do Julia Lembke's political activities have on Mr. Lembke?
4. Describe Mrs. Stavrogin's relationship with Verkhovensky.
5. Why does Lisa Tushin approach Shatov?
6. What plans does Peter seem to be making at the end of Part II, Chapter 4?
7. What is Gaganov's relationship with Stavrogin?
8. What does Karmazinov think about Russia?
9. How does Stepan Verhovensky feel about Verkhovensky's marriage to Dasha?
10. Describe the events that take place on stage at the fête.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Are Shatov and Stepan Verkhovensky heroes in The Possessed? Why or why not? Are Peter Verkhovensky and Stavrogin heroes? Are they villains?
Essay Topic 2
What is the moral of The Possessed? Is conversion to Christianity a real solution to the problems the book presents? Is there a difference between the social problems the book presents us with and the problems of individual morality that the characters face?
Essay Topic 3
What role does innocence play in The Possessed? Is it always sacrificed, as Mary Lebyatkin and Shatov are? Does it endure anywhere, in spite of Mary and Shatov's murders?
This section contains 1,622 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)