|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nicholas' first impression of Mary Lebyatkin?
2. What has Peter Verkhovensky been doing in the week since the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
3. Who is Mrs. Lembke hosting in her salon?
4. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
5. Who does Lebyatkin live with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Peter planning with regard to Shatov?
2. How does Shatov respond to Lisa Tushin's proposal?
3. What is Verkhovensky's status in Russian society?
4. Describe the events that take place on stage at the fête.
5. Who is responsible for killing Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
6. What does Peter ask his father after he (Peter) has recounted the story of Stavrogin and Miss Lebyatkin?
7. What is Julia Lembke's relationship with the youth of her town?
8. What kind of uprising is Peter planning?
9. How are Stavrogin and Lisa getting along the morning after the night they spent together?
10. How do people explain the gathering of workers from the Spigulin factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does innocence play in The Possessed? Is it always sacrificed, as Mary Lebyatkin and Shatov are? Does it endure anywhere, in spite of Mary and Shatov's murders?
Essay Topic 2
What kinds of violence are depicted in The Possessed? Are there different rules and expectations for each kind of violence? Are some kinds of violence more effective in resolving problems than others? Is violence ever a useful tool in The Possessed, or is it always merely destructive?
Essay Topic 3
What is the economy of The Possessed? Where does money come from, and does money come from any new places or reside in any new places as a result of the action of the novel?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)