|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Captain Lebyatkin's reputation?
2. What are Shatov's political views?
3. How does Chapter 5 begin?
4. What does Peter ask his father in front of the group?
5. How does Peter plan to instigate his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Lisa Tushin and Kaptain Lebyatkin have in common?
2. How are Liputin, Shatov and Virginsky described when we meet them?
3. What does Stavrogin tell Dasha after the duel?
4. How would you characterize the opposition between Stepan and Peter?
5. How does the first chapter of Part I end?
6. What happens to Lisa after she hears about Stavrogin's role in Mary and the Captain's murder?
7. What does Peter tell us about Nicholas Stavrogin's relationship with Miss Lebyatkin?
8. What kind of uprising is Peter planning?
9. What is Peter planning with regard to Shatov?
10. How does Stavrogin try to avoid the duel with Gaganov?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of The Possessed? Is it a realistic novel of Russian life, or is it something else? A philosophical melodrama? A political thriller? An allegory of radicalism?
Essay Topic 2
Is The Possessed a Christian novel? What kind of Christianity does it align with? Old Testament or New Testament? In what ways does the novel seem atheistic, or existential?
Essay Topic 3
How are women depicted in The Possessed? Are they mere symbols of sexual attributes like desirability and innocence and seduction, or are they individuals with complex feelings and thoughts? How are they distinguished from the male characters, or are they treated as similarly-independent, self-reliant souls?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)