|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Julia Lembke's hope for the children?
2. What does Kirilov say to Gaganov the morning before the duel?
3. Who is Nicholas Stavrogin's tutor?
4. Who is Shatov?
5. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's relationship with Mrs. Stavrogin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do we find out whether Peter intentionally circulated rumors about Dasha to instigate his father?
2. How are Stavrogin and Lisa getting along the morning after the night they spent together?
3. How do people explain the gathering of workers from the Spigulin factory?
4. What story does Stepan, in his fever, think is representative of contemporary Russia?
5. Why does Lisa Tushin approach Shatov?
6. How many people end up involved in the conversation between Mrs. Stavrogin and Shatov at the beginning of Chapter 3 in Part I?
7. What is the relationship between Mr. Lembke and Peter Verkhovensky?
8. What business does Peter conduct with Kirilov in the raining cold of the night?
9. What does Mrs. Stavrogin suggest as a result of her sense that she is getting older?
10. How does Shatov respond to Lisa Tushin's proposal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Following the allegory of the swine from Luke, are the demons cast out of the society of the novel? Are they cast out of Russian society by Dostoevsky's novel?
Essay Topic 2
Peter Verkhovensky spends much of the book agitating for an uprising, but the violence results in the deaths of many of the main characters and the arrest of many of Peter's co-conspirators. Is the action of the book a success insofar as it stirred up trouble in the society of the town? Or is it a failure insofar as it did not accomplish a complete reinvention of Russian society?
Essay Topic 3
Is The Possessed a Christian novel? What kind of Christianity does it align with? Old Testament or New Testament? In what ways does the novel seem atheistic, or existential?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)