Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mrs. Stavrogin invite into the conversation that starts Chapter 5?
2. How are the youth of the town behaving at the time of the fête?
3. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's relationship with Mrs. Stavrogin?
4. What are the terms under which Stepan departs Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
5. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people explain the gathering of workers from the Spigulin factory?
2. What does Mrs. Stavrogin suggest as a result of her sense that she is getting older?
3. What does Peter ask his father after he (Peter) has recounted the story of Stavrogin and Miss Lebyatkin?
4. Where was Shatov's wife, Mary, before she returned to him, and what condition is she in when she returns?
5. What happens when Shatov shows up to meet Peter and Erkel?
6. What is on the schedule for the fête, and what is Julia Lembke's position in town on the eve of the fête?
7. Where does Stepan go after he leaves Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
8. How many people end up involved in the conversation between Mrs. Stavrogin and Shatov at the beginning of Chapter 3 in Part I?
9. What is Verkhovensky's status in Russian society?
10. What objections are raised to murdering Shatov, and who raises them?
Essay Topic 1
Is Shatov's wife's pregnancy a source of real hope in The Possessed, or is the hope undermined by her infidelity and Shatov's murder? Does the childbirth redeem anyone in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What is the economy of The Possessed? Where does money come from, and does money come from any new places or reside in any new places as a result of the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of literature in The Possessed? What kinds of literature are there, and what do characters expect from writers and from novels and from tracts? What effect do writers and literature have on society?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)