|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Mrs. Stavrogin's views changing as time goes on?
2. Who throws Stepan Verkhovensky out of the conversation?
3. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's employment?
4. What is Kirilov's involvement in Stavrogin's plan?
5. What is Julia Lembke's hope for the children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do people have to do to gain admission to the fête, and how are people finding money for the fête?
2. What happens to Lisa after she hears about Stavrogin's role in Mary and the Captain's murder?
3. Describe Nicholas Stavrogin's status in Russian society.
4. What is Kirilov's view of life, and how does Peter respond to it?
5. Who dies as a result of Shatov's murder? Who is arrested?
6. What plans does Peter seem to be making at the end of Part II, Chapter 4?
7. Describe the events that take place on stage at the fête.
8. What story does Stepan, in his fever, think is representative of contemporary Russia?
9. What does Mrs. Stavrogin suggest as a result of her sense that she is getting older?
10. Why is Stepan's house searched?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the economy of The Possessed? Where does money come from, and does money come from any new places or reside in any new places as a result of the action of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Is the duel between Gaganov and Stavrogin a metaphor for the book? Is the murder of Captain and Mary Lebyatkin a better metaphor? What event in the book is most representative of the book as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
What is the genre of The Possessed? Is it a realistic novel of Russian life, or is it something else? A philosophical melodrama? A political thriller? An allegory of radicalism?
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)