|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mrs. Stavrogin's feeling about the fête?
2. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. How does Nicholas Stavrogin answer his mother's question?
4. What do we find out about Dasha after the duel?
5. Whom does Nicholas visit in Part II, Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Verkhovensky's status in Russian society?
2. How do we find out whether Peter intentionally circulated rumors about Dasha to instigate his father?
3. What condition does Julia Lembke impose on invitations to the fête she is planning for the town?
4. What kind of uprising is Peter planning?
5. Describe Mrs. Stavrogin's relationship with Verkhovensky.
6. What do Erkel and Peter tell Shatov when they meet with him?
7. What stories and events are swirling in the aftermath of the confrontation that ended Part 1?
8. What stories are in circulation about Dasha's past?
9. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to having his house raided?
10. Describe the events that take place on stage at the fête.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does innocence play in The Possessed? Is it always sacrificed, as Mary Lebyatkin and Shatov are? Does it endure anywhere, in spite of Mary and Shatov's murders?
Essay Topic 2
What is the genre of The Possessed? Is it a realistic novel of Russian life, or is it something else? A philosophical melodrama? A political thriller? An allegory of radicalism?
Essay Topic 3
What is the economy of The Possessed? Where does money come from, and does money come from any new places or reside in any new places as a result of the action of the novel?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)