|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Captain Lebyatin and his sister living when Nicholas met them?
2. What was Captain Lebyatkin's relationship with Nicholas Stavrogin in Moscow?
3. What does Stavrogin do when it is his turn to shoot?
4. What is Stepan's impression of the confrontation that took place at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
5. Who is Shatov?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Verkhovensky's status in Russian society?
2. What do we know about the poem, A Noble Character?
3. What stories are in circulation about Dasha's past?
4. What plans does Peter seem to be making at the end of Part II, Chapter 4?
5. What does Peter ask his father after he (Peter) has recounted the story of Stavrogin and Miss Lebyatkin?
6. What leads up to Nicholas' confession that he is married to Mary?
7. What condition does Julia Lembke impose on invitations to the fête she is planning for the town?
8. Where was Shatov's wife, Mary, before she returned to him, and what condition is she in when she returns?
9. How does Peter feel about Shigalyov's plan?
10. What is Gaganov's relationship with Stavrogin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a consistent morality in The Possessed? Do violent people always pay a price for their acts of violence? Are criminals and scoundrels always caught and punished, or made to suffer somehow? Is innocent suffering redeemed?
Essay Topic 2
Is the duel between Gaganov and Stavrogin a metaphor for the book? Is the murder of Captain and Mary Lebyatkin a better metaphor? What event in the book is most representative of the book as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Are Shatov and Stepan Verkhovensky heroes in The Possessed? Why or why not? Are Peter Verkhovensky and Stavrogin heroes? Are they villains?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)