|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What consequence does Stavrogin suffer after he is punched in the face?
2. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
3. With whom does Nicholas Stavrogin leave from his conversation with his mother?
4. What does Peter ask his father in front of the group?
5. Who is Nicholas Stavrogin's tutor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Verkhovensky's status in Russian society?
2. Who is responsible for killing Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
3. What is Kirilov's view of life, and how does Peter respond to it?
4. What does Peter tell us about Nicholas Stavrogin's relationship with Miss Lebyatkin?
5. Why is Stepan's house searched?
6. Where was Shatov's wife, Mary, before she returned to him, and what condition is she in when she returns?
7. How does Stepan Verhovensky feel about Verkhovensky's marriage to Dasha?
8. What is the purpose of the gathering at Mr. Virginsky's house?
9. What does Peter ask his father after he (Peter) has recounted the story of Stavrogin and Miss Lebyatkin?
10. What has Shatov's state of mind been like since the confrontation, during which he struck Stavrogin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peter Verkhovensky exploits the blindness, weakness and gullibility of many characters as he works his wiles. Does the action of the book change any of those characters so that they are immune from Peter's machinations? Asked another way--is The Possessed a moral book that teaches a lesson, or a cynical book that teaches that there are no lessons, only different actors with different motivations?
Essay Topic 2
Is The Possessed a Christian novel? What kind of Christianity does it align with? Old Testament or New Testament? In what ways does the novel seem atheistic, or existential?
Essay Topic 3
Are Shatov and Stepan Verkhovensky heroes in The Possessed? Why or why not? Are Peter Verkhovensky and Stavrogin heroes? Are they villains?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)