|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
2. What is Peter planning throughout Part II of The Possessed?
3. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
4. Who is Mrs. Lembke hosting in her salon?
5. How has Shatov prepared to defend himself against Stavrogin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How many people end up involved in the conversation between Mrs. Stavrogin and Shatov at the beginning of Chapter 3 in Part I?
2. What kind of uprising is Peter planning?
3. How do people explain the gathering of workers from the Spigulin factory?
4. What does Peter tell us about Nicholas Stavrogin's relationship with Miss Lebyatkin?
5. What does Karmazinov think about Russia?
6. What story does Stepan, in his fever, think is representative of contemporary Russia?
7. What stories are in circulation about Dasha's past?
8. What is the relationship between Mr. Lembke and Peter Verkhovensky?
9. How does Stavrogin try to avoid the duel with Gaganov?
10. How does the first chapter of Part I end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the genre of The Possessed? Is it a realistic novel of Russian life, or is it something else? A philosophical melodrama? A political thriller? An allegory of radicalism?
Essay Topic 2
Following the allegory of the swine from Luke, are the demons cast out of the society of the novel? Are they cast out of Russian society by Dostoevsky's novel?
Essay Topic 3
What images or symbols repeat throughout The Possessed? How are images built into symbols, and what symbolic resonance do images acquire? Choose three images, and describe the symbolic associations the obtain throughout the book.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)