|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dostoevsky seem to believe is the problem with Russia?
(a) It is ripe for a revolution but incapable of emerging from one.
(b) It is held back by its feudal past.
(c) It is both attracted to and repulsed by industrial modernism.
(d) It is poisoned by its peasant spirituality.
2. How has public opinion shifted on the eve of the fête?
(a) The workers are anxious to disrupt the fête.
(b) It is now against Mrs. Lembke.
(c) The people are now in favor of change.
(d) The agitators have succeeded in turning the crowds against the government.
3. Why is The Possessed an inaccurate transposition of the story of the swine in Luke?
(a) The devils are more destructive in the story, and also more difficult to control.
(b) The devils reside in the human heart, and can never be cast out completely.
(c) Russia's tumultuous revolution dwarfs the revolutionary action of the novel.
(d) The devils that haunt Russia are not as easy to cast out as Peter and his radicals.
4. Why are workers from the Spigulin factory massing in the street?
(a) They are enjoying their day off.
(b) They are petitioning for the governor to intervene in a payment dispute.
(c) They are demanding the release of political prisoners.
(d) They are organizing themselves for the new, post-revolutionary society.
5. Why was it a mistake to charge a high price for the fête?
(a) The people who came wanted food.
(b) The people expected to be entertained.
(c) No one could afford to come.
(d) Expensive tickets excluded the writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had some poor people done to prepare for the fête?
2. How do the revolutionaries dispose of Shatov's body?
3. Why does Lisa want to leave Stavrogin at the beginning of the Part 3, Chapter 3?
4. What does Stepan ask of the police during the search?
5. What effect does the birth of Shatov's child have on him?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)