|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is The Possessed an inaccurate transposition of the story of the swine in Luke?
(a) The devils are more destructive in the story, and also more difficult to control.
(b) Russia's tumultuous revolution dwarfs the revolutionary action of the novel.
(c) The devils reside in the human heart, and can never be cast out completely.
(d) The devils that haunt Russia are not as easy to cast out as Peter and his radicals.
2. What resonance does the story of the swine from Luke have with the novel?
(a) Dostoevsky appears to believe that lovers are possessed by demons.
(b) Dostoevsky appears to believe that revolutionaries are possessed by demons.
(c) Dostoevsky appears to believe that educated people are possessed by demons.
(d) Dostoevsky appears to believe that Russia is possessed by demons.
3. Why are workers from the Spigulin factory massing in the street?
(a) They are enjoying their day off.
(b) They are organizing themselves for the new, post-revolutionary society.
(c) They are demanding the release of political prisoners.
(d) They are petitioning for the governor to intervene in a payment dispute.
4. Who shows up to talk with Shatov after Shatov's wife returns?
5. What does Stepan ask of the police during the search?
(a) He asks for immunity if he testifies against Peter.
(b) He asks for a more thorough search.
(c) He asks for money as an inducement to help them.
(d) He demands the name of the officer in charge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dostoevsky seem to believe is the problem with Russia?
2. What effect does the birth of Shatov's child have on him?
3. Who do the townspeople believe killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
4. What is Shigalyov's plan for the new social organization?
5. What does Stepan Verkhovensky find in his wanderings?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)