|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The first chapter of Part 3 is set the day after what?
(a) The factory riot.
(b) Peter Verkhvensky's house being searched.
(c) The meeting at Virginsky's.
(d) Shatov's wife returns.
2. Why is The Possessed an inaccurate transposition of the story of the swine in Luke?
(a) The devils are more destructive in the story, and also more difficult to control.
(b) Russia's tumultuous revolution dwarfs the revolutionary action of the novel.
(c) The devils that haunt Russia are not as easy to cast out as Peter and his radicals.
(d) The devils reside in the human heart, and can never be cast out completely.
3. How has public opinion shifted on the eve of the fête?
(a) The workers are anxious to disrupt the fête.
(b) It is now against Mrs. Lembke.
(c) The people are now in favor of change.
(d) The agitators have succeeded in turning the crowds against the government.
4. What does Dostoevsky seem to believe is the problem with Russia?
(a) It is poisoned by its peasant spirituality.
(b) It is both attracted to and repulsed by industrial modernism.
(c) It is ripe for a revolution but incapable of emerging from one.
(d) It is held back by its feudal past.
5. Russia's salvation seems to reside where, in Dostoevsky's opinion?
(a) In the Church.
(b) In the peasants.
(c) In the radicals.
(d) In the monarchy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the real purpose of the gathering at Virginsky's house?
2. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to the search of Peter's house?
3. What does Shatov ask Kirilov for after he discovers that his wife is pregnant?
4. What does Stepan Verkhovensky have to work up his courage to do?
5. What does Blum say about the search at Peter Verkhovensky's?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)