|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who throws Stepan Verkhovensky out of the conversation?
(a) Nicholas Stavrogin.
(c) Peter Verkhovensky.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
2. What problem might Stavrogin have with his plan?
(a) Lisa is already married to Mr. Drozdov.
(b) He doesn't have any money.
(c) Divorce is still illegal.
(d) He has lost his reputation.
3. What rumors is Peter spreading in the days before the fête?
(a) That Mrs. Lembke is an anarchist.
(b) That Verkhovensky is a murderer.
(c) That Stavrogin is a government spy.
(d) That Mr. Lembke is having an affair.
4. What is Stepan Verkhovensky agitated about at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) His father's return.
(b) Marriage to Dasha.
(c) His son's debts.
(d) His wife's pregnancy.
5. What venture does Lisa approach Shatov for help with?
(a) Finding a job for her son.
(b) Publishing a yearly compendium of articles.
(c) Getting herself out of debt so she can buy a cottage.
(d) Finding a husband for her and a father for her girls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Verkhovensky's political views?
2. What last-minute effort does Stavrogin make to avert the duel?
3. How does Chapter 5 begin?
4. What is Peter predicting in the time after the confrontation at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
5. What is Peter planning throughout Part II of The Possessed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kirilov's view of life, and how does Peter respond to it?
2. Who dies as a result of Shatov's murder? Who is arrested?
3. What does Lisa find out about Captain Lebyatikin's sister?
4. What does Mrs. Stavrogin find out about Nicholas' relationship with Mss Lebyatikin?
5. How does Stepan Verhovensky feel about Verkhovensky's marriage to Dasha?
6. Describe the events that take place on stage at the fête.
7. What business does Peter conduct with Kirilov in the raining cold of the night?
8. What is on the schedule for the fête, and what is Julia Lembke's position in town on the eve of the fête?
9. Why is Stepan's house searched?
10. What do Lisa Tushin and Kaptain Lebyatkin have in common?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)