|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the terms under which Stepan departs Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) She will still pay him an allowance.
(b) She will give him a little money.
(c) She will not give him anything.
(d) He can return any time he likes.
2. What last-minute effort does Stavrogin make to avert the duel?
(a) He apologizes once again.
(b) He threatens to kill Gaganov's entire family.
(c) He offers to leave the country.
(d) He offers even more money.
3. What consequence does Stavrogin suffer after he is punched in the face?
(a) He is unconscious for a week.
(b) He needs surgery.
(c) He comes down with an illness.
(d) He has to stay home while the bone sets.
4. Who is Nicholas Stavrogin's tutor?
5. What do we learn from Stavrogin's confrontation with Shatov?
(a) That Shatov is married to Lary Lebyatkin.
(b) That Mary Lebyatkin is Stavrogin's half-sister.
(c) That Stavrogin is married to Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) That Mary Lebyatkin is Stavrogin's sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stavrogin respond to Kirilov's belief?
2. What venture does Lisa approach Shatov for help with?
3. What is Nicholas' relationship with Dasha, according to Liputin?
4. Why does Stavrogin plan to duel Gaganov?
5. Where were Captain Lebyatin and his sister living when Nicholas met them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kirilov's view of life, and how does Peter respond to it?
2. How are Stavrogin and Lisa getting along the morning after the night they spent together?
3. How are Liputin, Shatov and Virginsky described when we meet them?
4. What is the relationship between Mr. Lembke and Peter Verkhovensky?
5. What effect do Julia Lembke's political activities have on Mr. Lembke?
6. How does the first chapter of Part I end?
7. What injuries are inflicted during the duel?
8. Why does Lisa Tushin approach Shatov?
9. What happens when Shatov shows up to meet Peter and Erkel?
10. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to having his house raided?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)