|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is The Possessed set?
(a) In the Russian provinces.
(b) In St. Petersburg.
(c) In Novgorod.
(d) In Moscow.
2. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(b) Mary Lebyatkin.
3. What imputation does Liputin make about Nicholas Stavrogin in his conversation with Kerkhovensky?
(a) That Nicholas is dying.
(b) That Nicholas is a radical agitator.
(c) That Nicholas is mad.
(d) That Nicholas is disreputable.
4. How are Mrs. Stavrogin's views changing as time goes on?
(a) She is becoming more reserved and conservative.
(b) She is becoming more utilitarian and modern.
(c) She is becoming more fearful and reactionary.
(d) She is becoming more prophetic and visionary.
5. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) She wants to know who she can borrow money from.
(b) She wants to know whether her son's name has been sullied.
(c) She wants to know when her son is coming back home.
(d) She wants to know what Shatov knows about Lebyatkin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mrs. Lembke's social aspirations?
2. What did Nicholas think of Mary Lebyatkin after he got to know her?
3. What is Verkhovensky ashamed of?
4. What does Stavrogin tell Peter he is planning to do?
5. How many shots does each duelist get to take?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stories are in circulation about Dasha's past?
2. Why does Lisa Tushin approach Shatov?
3. What has Shatov's state of mind been like since the confrontation, during which he struck Stavrogin?
4. What does Stavrogin tell Dasha after the duel?
5. What happens when Shatov shows up to meet Peter and Erkel?
6. What do people have to do to gain admission to the fête, and how are people finding money for the fête?
7. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to having his house raided?
8. How does Shatov respond to Lisa Tushin's proposal?
9. What does Mrs. Stavrogin find out about Nicholas' relationship with Mss Lebyatikin?
10. What does Mrs. Stavrogin suggest as a result of her sense that she is getting older?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)