|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Liputin answer Stepan when Stepan asks him questions at their meeting?
(a) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just paid all her son's gambling debts.
(b) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just been diagnosed with a fatal illness.
(c) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had tried to arrange for Nicholas to marry Dasha.
(d) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin asked him if he thought Nicholas was mad.
2. What warning does Stavrogin give to Shatov at the end of their conversation?
(a) He warns him that members of the society might try to kill him.
(b) He warns him that his wife might not come home now.
(c) He warns him that his mother will want him to leave town.
(d) He warns him that he will be implicated in Peter's conspiracy.
3. Who is Liputin?
(a) A student of Verkhovensky's.
(b) A local banker.
(c) A liberal official.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin's son's friend.
4. What is Stepan's impression of the confrontation that took place at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) That Mrs. Stavrogin had let her son have too much rein.
(b) That Stavrogin needed to be taken down.
(c) That Peter had planned it all along.
(d) That Peter was out to assassinate people's characters.
5. How are Mrs. Stavrogin's views changing as time goes on?
(a) She is becoming more utilitarian and modern.
(b) She is becoming more fearful and reactionary.
(c) She is becoming more reserved and conservative.
(d) She is becoming more prophetic and visionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition does Mrs. Lembke impose on people who want to come to her party?
2. Who will be speaking at Mrs. Lembke's fête?
3. What do we learn from Stavrogin's confrontation with Shatov?
4. What plan does Mrs. Stavrogin make for Verhovensky?
5. What happened to the money that Nicholas gives to Captain Lebyatkin for Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Erkel and Peter tell Shatov when they meet with him?
2. What injuries are inflicted during the duel?
3. What do we know about the poem, A Noble Character?
4. Describe the events that take place on stage at the fête.
5. What is Shigalyov's new plan of social organization?
6. Why is Stepan's house searched?
7. How do we find out whether Peter intentionally circulated rumors about Dasha to instigate his father?
8. What does Peter tell us about Nicholas Stavrogin's relationship with Miss Lebyatkin?
9. What is Mrs. Stavrogin's response to Stepan Verkhovensky's letter to Peter about Dasha?
10. How does Stavrogin try to avoid the duel with Gaganov?
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)