|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
(b) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(d) Mary Lebyatkin.
2. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's employment?
(a) He is an elected official.
(b) He tutors Mrs. Stavrogin's son.
(c) He is a social researcher.
(d) He is a local bureaucrat.
3. What has Peter Verkhovensky been doing in the week since the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) Spreading rumors about what took place there.
(b) Plotting to kill Stavrogin.
(c) Defending Miss Lebyatkin's reputation.
(d) Defending Nicholas Stavrogin's reputation.
4. How many paces separate the two duelists?
5. Why did Nicholas initially take an interest in Captain Lebyatkin?
(a) He found his buffoonish behavior amusing.
(b) He was impressed by his opulence.
(c) He wanted to help Peter's friends.
(d) He found his poverty heartbreaking.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose house is Peter spreading rumors in the days before the fête?
2. What is Stepan's impression of the confrontation that took place at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
3. What is Stepan and Peter Verkhovensky's relationship like?
4. What is Stepan Verkhovensky agitated about at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. How does Mrs. Lembke participate in Peter's plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people explain the gathering of workers from the Spigulin factory?
2. What does Peter ask his father after he (Peter) has recounted the story of Stavrogin and Miss Lebyatkin?
3. What condition does Julia Lembke impose on invitations to the fête she is planning for the town?
4. What do we know about the poem, A Noble Character?
5. Describe Mrs. Stavrogin's relationship with Verkhovensky.
6. How many people end up involved in the conversation between Mrs. Stavrogin and Shatov at the beginning of Chapter 3 in Part I?
7. How do we find out whether Peter intentionally circulated rumors about Dasha to instigate his father?
8. How does Stepan Verhovensky feel about Verkhovensky's marriage to Dasha?
9. What do people have to do to gain admission to the fête, and how are people finding money for the fête?
10. What is Peter's relationship with Stavrogin?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)