|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Mrs. Lembke's social aspirations?
(a) She wants to be accepted into Mrs. Stavrogin's society.
(b) She wants to be accepted in the highest rank of society.
(c) She wants to pass for an ordinary Russian.
(d) She wants to know Captain and Mary Lebyatkin.
2. What is Gaganov's response to Kirilov?
(a) He insults Kirilov and offered to duel with him as well.
(b) He calls off the duel.
(c) He refuses the offer of money.
(d) He refuses to accept the apology.
3. How are the youth of the town behaving at the time of the fête?
(a) They are dutifully enlisting for the military.
(b) They are wildly enthusiastic about the upcoming elections.
(c) They are collecting money for the poor.
(d) They are running wild.
4. What does Liputin answer Stepan when Stepan asks him questions at their meeting?
(a) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had tried to arrange for Nicholas to marry Dasha.
(b) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just paid all her son's gambling debts.
(c) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just been diagnosed with a fatal illness.
(d) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin asked him if he thought Nicholas was mad.
5. What is Stepan's impression of the confrontation that took place at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) That Stavrogin needed to be taken down.
(b) That Peter had planned it all along.
(c) That Mrs. Stavrogin had let her son have too much rein.
(d) That Peter was out to assassinate people's characters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lebyatkin live with?
2. What causes Mrs. Stavrogin to separate with Stepan Verkhovensky?
3. What does Stavrogin do when it is his turn to shoot?
4. What is Nicholas Stavrogin like as a military officer?
5. How many shots does each duelist get to take?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Stepan's house searched?
2. What condition does Julia Lembke impose on invitations to the fête she is planning for the town?
3. What objections are raised to murdering Shatov, and who raises them?
4. How does Stepan Verhovensky feel about Verkhovensky's marriage to Dasha?
5. What has Shatov's state of mind been like since the confrontation, during which he struck Stavrogin?
6. What happens to Lisa after she hears about Stavrogin's role in Mary and the Captain's murder?
7. What happens when Peter mentions that Stepan believes that Dasha has fallen into disrepute in Switzerland?
8. What do Erkel and Peter tell Shatov when they meet with him?
9. What does Peter ask his father after he (Peter) has recounted the story of Stavrogin and Miss Lebyatkin?
10. What stories and events are swirling in the aftermath of the confrontation that ended Part 1?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)