|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many previous marriages has Stepan Verkhovensky had?
2. What does Liputin answer Stepan when Stepan asks him questions at their meeting?
(a) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just paid all her son's gambling debts.
(b) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin asked him if he thought Nicholas was mad.
(c) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just been diagnosed with a fatal illness.
(d) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had tried to arrange for Nicholas to marry Dasha.
3. What is Kirilov's involvement in Stavrogin's plan?
(a) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to plant incriminating evidence.
(b) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to distract Gaganov.
(c) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to convey messages to Gaganov's daughter.
(d) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to be his second.
4. Who will be speaking at Mrs. Lembke's fête?
(a) Peter Verhovensky.
(b) Karmazinov and Stepan Verkhovensky.
5. Who is Liputin?
(a) A liberal official.
(b) A student of Verkhovensky's.
(c) A local banker.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin's son's friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Nicholas meet Captain Lebyatkin?
2. What do we find out about Dasha after the duel?
3. Why is Nicholas Stavrogin demoted?
4. What are Shatov's political views?
5. What does Stepan think about marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Stavrogin and Lisa getting along the morning after the night they spent together?
2. What is Peter planning with regard to Shatov?
3. What do we know about the poem, A Noble Character?
4. How many people end up involved in the conversation between Mrs. Stavrogin and Shatov at the beginning of Chapter 3 in Part I?
5. What is Mrs. Stavrogin's response to Stepan Verkhovensky's letter to Peter about Dasha?
6. What do people have to do to gain admission to the fête, and how are people finding money for the fête?
7. How do people explain the gathering of workers from the Spigulin factory?
8. Why does Lisa Tushin approach Shatov?
9. What objections are raised to murdering Shatov, and who raises them?
10. What has Shatov's state of mind been like since the confrontation, during which he struck Stavrogin?
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)