|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
(a) Shatov and Liputin.
(b) Stepan Verkhovensky and Lisa Tushin.
(c) Peter Verkhovensky and Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) Mary Lebyatkin and Mrs. Drozdov.
2. How does Nicholas Stavrogin kill a man?
(a) In a duel.
(b) In self defense, when he was being robbed.
(c) Accidentally, when his horse trampled the man.
(d) He poisoned the man who had killed his father.
3. Whom does Mrs. Stavrogin invite into the conversation that starts Chapter 5?
(a) Lisa Tushin.
(b) Dasha and the Drozdovs.
(c) Nicholas and Dasha.
4. Who punches Nicholas Stavrogin in the face?
(b) Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) Peter Verkhovensky.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
5. What are Mrs. Lembke's social aspirations?
(a) She wants to know Captain and Mary Lebyatkin.
(b) She wants to be accepted into Mrs. Stavrogin's society.
(c) She wants to be accepted in the highest rank of society.
(d) She wants to pass for an ordinary Russian.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stavrogin plan to duel Gaganov?
2. What are Shatov's political views?
3. What was Nicholas' first impression of Mary Lebyatkin?
4. Where does Verkhovensky hear that the rumor he heard about Dasha is true?
5. Why has Gaganov been insulting Stavrogin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to Nicholas' confession that he is married to Mary?
2. What business does Peter conduct with Kirilov in the raining cold of the night?
3. What does Mrs. Stavrogin find out about Nicholas' relationship with Mss Lebyatikin?
4. What plans does Peter seem to be making at the end of Part II, Chapter 4?
5. What is on the schedule for the fête, and what is Julia Lembke's position in town on the eve of the fête?
6. How would you characterize the opposition between Stepan and Peter?
7. What objections are raised to murdering Shatov, and who raises them?
8. What is Julia Lembke's relationship with the youth of her town?
9. What is Peter planning with regard to Shatov?
10. How does the first chapter of Part I end?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)