Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Mrs. Stavrogin invite into the conversation that starts Chapter 5?
(b) Nicholas and Dasha.
(c) Dasha and the Drozdovs.
(d) Lisa Tushin.
2. How are the youth of the town behaving at the time of the fête?
(a) They are wildly enthusiastic about the upcoming elections.
(b) They are dutifully enlisting for the military.
(c) They are collecting money for the poor.
(d) They are running wild.
3. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's relationship with Mrs. Stavrogin?
(a) They are enemies.
(b) They are married.
(c) They are lovers.
(d) He lives with her.
4. What are the terms under which Stepan departs Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) She will give him a little money.
(b) He can return any time he likes.
(c) She will not give him anything.
(d) She will still pay him an allowance.
5. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
(a) Stavrogin's father.
(b) Shatov's father.
(c) Verkhovensky's son.
(d) Verkhovensky's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
2. What event results in an investigation that discovers radical literature?
3. What is Peter planning throughout Part II of The Possessed?
4. What happens on Stavrogin's third shot?
5. What happened to the money that Nicholas gives to Captain Lebyatkin for Mary?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do people explain the gathering of workers from the Spigulin factory?
2. What does Mrs. Stavrogin suggest as a result of her sense that she is getting older?
3. What does Peter ask his father after he (Peter) has recounted the story of Stavrogin and Miss Lebyatkin?
4. Where was Shatov's wife, Mary, before she returned to him, and what condition is she in when she returns?
5. What happens when Shatov shows up to meet Peter and Erkel?
6. What is on the schedule for the fête, and what is Julia Lembke's position in town on the eve of the fête?
7. Where does Stepan go after he leaves Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
8. How many people end up involved in the conversation between Mrs. Stavrogin and Shatov at the beginning of Chapter 3 in Part I?
9. What is Verkhovensky's status in Russian society?
10. What objections are raised to murdering Shatov, and who raises them?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)