|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Stavrogin plan to duel Gaganov?
(a) Gaganov had threatened to evict Mrs. Stavrogin from her estate.
(b) Gaganov's father had been an enemy of Stavrogin's father's.
(c) Gaganov had been insulting Stavrogin.
(d) Gaganov had threatened to take Mary Lebyatkin away from Stavrogin.
2. What happens on Stavrogin's third shot?
(a) Stavrogin hits Gaganov's second by mistake.
(b) Stavrogin kills Gaganov.
(c) Stavrogin shoots into the ground at his feet.
(d) Stavrogin shoots closer to Gaganov, but still shoots in the air.
3. Who throws Stepan Verkhovensky out of the conversation?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(c) Peter Verkhovensky.
(d) Nicholas Stavrogin.
4. What is Gaganov's response to Kirilov?
(a) He insults Kirilov and offered to duel with him as well.
(b) He calls off the duel.
(c) He refuses the offer of money.
(d) He refuses to accept the apology.
5. What do we learn from Stavrogin's confrontation with Shatov?
(a) That Mary Lebyatkin is Stavrogin's sister.
(b) That Stavrogin is married to Mary Lebyatkin.
(c) That Shatov is married to Lary Lebyatkin.
(d) That Mary Lebyatkin is Stavrogin's half-sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Verkhovensky's political views?
2. Whose influence has Mr. Lembke come under?
3. What does Stepan think about marriage?
4. How does Mrs. Lembke participate in Peter's plans?
5. How many paces separate the two duelists?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Peter's relationship with Stavrogin?
2. What is Shigalyov's new plan of social organization?
3. What do people have to do to gain admission to the fête, and how are people finding money for the fête?
4. What is Verkhovensky's status in Russian society?
5. How do we find out whether Peter intentionally circulated rumors about Dasha to instigate his father?
6. What condition does Julia Lembke impose on invitations to the fête she is planning for the town?
7. What does Mrs. Stavrogin suggest as a result of her sense that she is getting older?
8. Describe Nicholas Stavrogin's status in Russian society.
9. What is Mrs. Stavrogin's response to Stepan Verkhovensky's letter to Peter about Dasha?
10. What happens to Lisa after she hears about Stavrogin's role in Mary and the Captain's murder?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)