|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Nicholas Stavrogin demoted?
(a) Because he fought a duel.
(b) Because of his gambling debts.
(c) Because he stole from another officer.
(d) Because of insubordination.
2. What outrageous act does a local lieutenant commit?
(a) He bites his general's ear.
(b) He seduces a general's wife.
(c) He refuses to go to the Crimea with his regiment.
(d) He kills himself and his fellow officers.
3. What does Peter ask his father in front of the group?
(a) Whether he wants him to save his father from Dasha.
(b) Whether he really intends to get Mrs. Stavrogin's money.
(c) Whether Dasha was really seduced in Switzerland.
(d) Whether his father taught Nicholas Stavrogin how to treat women
4. How does Chapter 5 begin?
(a) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Nicholas Stavrogin and Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Lisa, Miss Lebyatkin and Verkhovensky, Shatov, and the narrator.
(c) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Virginsky and Dasha.
(d) With a declaration of love between Mrs. Stavrogin and Lebyatkin.
5. Where were Captain Lebyatin and his sister living when Nicholas met them?
(a) With Mrs. Stavrogin.
(b) In their family's estate.
(c) With Peter Verkhovensky.
(d) On the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Stavrogin give to Shatov at the end of their conversation?
2. What did Nicholas think of Mary Lebyatkin after he got to know her?
3. What does Stavrogin tell Peter he is planning to do?
4. What event results in an investigation that discovers radical literature?
5. What accusation does Mrs. Stavrogin make of Stepan Verkhovensky?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lisa find out about Captain Lebyatikin's sister?
2. What business does Peter conduct with Kirilov in the raining cold of the night?
3. What has Shatov's state of mind been like since the confrontation, during which he struck Stavrogin?
4. What does Karmazinov think about Russia?
5. What does Stavrogin tell Dasha after the duel?
6. What is Mrs. Stavrogin's response to Stepan Verkhovensky's letter to Peter about Dasha?
7. What story does Stepan, in his fever, think is representative of contemporary Russia?
8. What stories are in circulation about Dasha's past?
9. How many people end up involved in the conversation between Mrs. Stavrogin and Shatov at the beginning of Chapter 3 in Part I?
10. Describe Nicholas Stavrogin's status in Russian society.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)