|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has been in hiding for the week after the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's?
(a) Shatov and Nicholas Stavrogin.
(b) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(d) Captain Lebyatkin and his sister.
2. What does Liputin answer Stepan when Stepan asks him questions at their meeting?
(a) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just been diagnosed with a fatal illness.
(b) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had tried to arrange for Nicholas to marry Dasha.
(c) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin asked him if he thought Nicholas was mad.
(d) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just paid all her son's gambling debts.
3. Who is Lisa Tushin?
(a) A neighbor of Mrs. Stavrogin's.
(b) A schoolmistress in St. Petersburg.
(c) A woman who had a relationship with Nicholas.
(d) A seamstress.
4. How many paces separate the two duelists?
5. What happens on Stavrogin's third shot?
(a) Stavrogin hits Gaganov's second by mistake.
(b) Stavrogin kills Gaganov.
(c) Stavrogin shoots into the ground at his feet.
(d) Stavrogin shoots closer to Gaganov, but still shoots in the air.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lebyatkin live with?
2. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
3. What are the terms under which Stepan departs Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
4. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
5. What do we learn from Stavrogin's confrontation with Shatov?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Peter ask his father after he (Peter) has recounted the story of Stavrogin and Miss Lebyatkin?
2. Describe Mrs. Stavrogin's relationship with Verkhovensky.
3. How does Stepan Verhovensky feel about Verkhovensky's marriage to Dasha?
4. Describe the events that take place on stage at the fête.
5. How do we find out whether Peter intentionally circulated rumors about Dasha to instigate his father?
6. How are Stavrogin and Lisa getting along the morning after the night they spent together?
7. What does Peter tell us about why Nicholas Stavrogin treated Miss Lebyatkin the way he did?
8. What is on the schedule for the fête, and what is Julia Lembke's position in town on the eve of the fête?
9. What kind of uprising is Peter planning?
10. Describe Nicholas Stavrogin's status in Russian society.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)