|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What venture does Lisa approach Shatov for help with?
(a) Getting herself out of debt so she can buy a cottage.
(b) Finding a husband for her and a father for her girls.
(c) Publishing a yearly compendium of articles.
(d) Finding a job for her son.
2. What happens on Stavrogin's third shot?
(a) Stavrogin kills Gaganov.
(b) Stavrogin hits Gaganov's second by mistake.
(c) Stavrogin shoots into the ground at his feet.
(d) Stavrogin shoots closer to Gaganov, but still shoots in the air.
3. Where did Nicholas meet Captain Lebyatkin?
(d) St. Petersburg.
4. What was Captain Lebyatkin's relationship with Nicholas Stavrogin in Moscow?
(a) It is not clear what their relationship was.
(b) Leybatkin introduced Nicholas to Dasha.
(c) They were in the military together.
(d) Nicholas owed Lebyatkin money from gambling.
5. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
(b) Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholas ask his servant to help him do after Peter leaves?
2. Who acts as Gaganov's second in the duel?
3. In whose house is Peter spreading rumors in the days before the fête?
4. What accusation does Mrs. Stavrogin make of Stepan Verkhovensky?
5. When does Part II, Chapter 3 begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Peter's relationship with Stavrogin?
2. What business does Peter conduct with Kirilov in the raining cold of the night?
3. Describe Nicholas Stavrogin's status in Russian society.
4. What objections are raised to murdering Shatov, and who raises them?
5. How does the first chapter of Part I end?
6. What happens to Lisa after she hears about Stavrogin's role in Mary and the Captain's murder?
7. What is Julia Lembke's relationship with the youth of her town?
8. What leads up to Nicholas' confession that he is married to Mary?
9. What is on the schedule for the fête, and what is Julia Lembke's position in town on the eve of the fête?
10. How are Stavrogin and Lisa getting along the morning after the night they spent together?
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)