|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will be speaking at Mrs. Lembke's fête?
(c) Peter Verhovensky.
(d) Karmazinov and Stepan Verkhovensky.
2. Who has been in hiding for the week after the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(b) Captain Lebyatkin and his sister.
(c) Shatov and Nicholas Stavrogin.
3. What is Stepan and Peter Verkhovensky's relationship like?
(a) They have been estranged.
(b) They have been closer ever since Stepah fled to the provinces.
(c) They have become mortal enemies.
(d) They have been in touch as Peter traveled.
4. Who does Lebyatkin live with?
(a) Peter Verkhovensky.
(c) His sister, Shatov and Kirlov.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
5. What is Nicholas Stavrogin like as a military officer?
(a) He is a brave soldier.
(b) He is a respected leader.
(c) He is a bully.
(d) He is a deserter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gaganov's response to Kirilov?
2. Whom does Mrs. Lembke befriend?
3. What plan does Mrs. Stavrogin make for Verhovensky?
4. What is Verkhovensky's status in Moscow and St. Petersburg society?
5. What are the terms under which Stepan departs Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Julia Lembke's relationship with the youth of her town?
2. What is Peter's relationship with Stavrogin?
3. What do Erkel and Peter tell Shatov when they meet with him?
4. Who dies as a result of Shatov's murder? Who is arrested?
5. What does Karmazinov think about Russia?
6. How does the first chapter of Part I end?
7. What happens to Lisa after she hears about Stavrogin's role in Mary and the Captain's murder?
8. What leads up to Nicholas' confession that he is married to Mary?
9. Why is Stepan's house searched?
10. What is Gaganov's relationship with Stavrogin?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)