|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes Mrs. Stavrogin to separate with Stepan Verkhovensky?
(a) Stepan's radical views.
(b) Peter's insults.
(c) Peter's antics about Dasha.
(d) Stepan's unconscionable behavior.
2. What is Stepan and Peter Verkhovensky's relationship like?
(a) They have been in touch as Peter traveled.
(b) They have become mortal enemies.
(c) They have been estranged.
(d) They have been closer ever since Stepah fled to the provinces.
3. What is Nicholas Stavrogin like as a military officer?
(a) He is a bully.
(b) He is a respected leader.
(c) He is a brave soldier.
(d) He is a deserter.
4. What is Gaganov's response to Kirilov?
(a) He refuses the offer of money.
(b) He refuses to accept the apology.
(c) He calls off the duel.
(d) He insults Kirilov and offered to duel with him as well.
5. How does the Verkhovensky circle feel about Nicholas Stavrogin?
(a) They admire his charisma.
(b) They mock him for his pretentiousness.
(c) They are impressed with his wealth.
(d) They are afraid of his temper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who punches Nicholas Stavrogin in the face?
2. Why does Stavrogin plan to duel Gaganov?
3. What do we find out about Dasha after the duel?
4. What injury is inflicted during the duel?
5. What is Mr. Lembke's professional background?
Short Essay Questions
1. What business does Peter conduct with Kirilov in the raining cold of the night?
2. What is Peter's relationship with Stavrogin?
3. Who dies as a result of Shatov's murder? Who is arrested?
4. What happens when Shatov shows up to meet Peter and Erkel?
5. Why does Lisa Tushin approach Shatov?
6. Describe the events that take place on stage at the fête.
7. What story does Stepan, in his fever, think is representative of contemporary Russia?
8. What does Peter ask his father after he (Peter) has recounted the story of Stavrogin and Miss Lebyatkin?
9. What stories are in circulation about Dasha's past?
10. What does Stavrogin tell Dasha after the duel?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)