|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Stepan's impression of the confrontation that took place at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) That Peter had planned it all along.
(b) That Stavrogin needed to be taken down.
(c) That Peter was out to assassinate people's characters.
(d) That Mrs. Stavrogin had let her son have too much rein.
2. How many shots does each duelist get to take?
3. Why does Nicholas treat Miss Lebyatkin so well?
(a) Peter says it was because of the 'demon of irony' in him.
(b) Nicholas says it was because he was in love.
(c) Mrs. Stavrogin says it was because her son was rebellious.
(d) Captain Lebyatkin says it was because Nicholas is sentimental and stupid.
4. How has Shatov prepared to defend himself against Stavrogin?
(a) He bought a revolver.
(b) He hired bodyguards.
(c) He hid himself.
(d) He prayed.
5. What has Peter Verkhovensky been doing in the week since the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) Spreading rumors about what took place there.
(b) Defending Nicholas Stavrogin's reputation.
(c) Defending Miss Lebyatkin's reputation.
(d) Plotting to kill Stavrogin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Verkhovensky ashamed of?
2. What venture does Lisa approach Shatov for help with?
3. What is Mr. Lembke's professional background?
4. What is Peter planning throughout Part II of The Possessed?
5. What does Kirilov say to Gaganov the morning before the duel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stepan Verhovensky feel about Verkhovensky's marriage to Dasha?
2. How does the first chapter of Part I end?
3. How many people end up involved in the conversation between Mrs. Stavrogin and Shatov at the beginning of Chapter 3 in Part I?
4. What is Mrs. Stavrogin's response to Stepan Verkhovensky's letter to Peter about Dasha?
5. What has Shatov's state of mind been like since the confrontation, during which he struck Stavrogin?
6. Describe the events that take place on stage at the fête.
7. What does Mrs. Stavrogin suggest as a result of her sense that she is getting older?
8. How does Peter feel about Shigalyov's plan?
9. What does Mrs. Stavrogin find out about Nicholas' relationship with Mss Lebyatikin?
10. What do Lisa Tushin and Kaptain Lebyatkin have in common?
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)