|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Lembke participate in Peter's plans?
(a) She allows them to proceed unwittingly, through her lack of sense.
(b) She helps him deliberately, out of resentment of the rich.
(c) She is swindled by Peter out of naivete.
(d) She gives him money, out of a sentimental desire to help the poor.
2. What rumors is Peter spreading in the days before the fête?
(a) That Mrs. Lembke is an anarchist.
(b) That Verkhovensky is a murderer.
(c) That Mr. Lembke is having an affair.
(d) That Stavrogin is a government spy.
3. Where does Verkhovensky hear that the rumor he heard about Dasha is true?
(a) From Dasha and Mrs. Stavrogin.
(b) From Lebyatkin.
(c) From Shatov.
(d) From Liputin and a friend of Peter's.
4. What is Mr. Lembke's professional background?
(a) He was a soldier before entering the government.
(b) He was a novelist before he became a lawyer.
(c) He wrote a novel that was rejected by a magazine.
(d) He was a lawyer before becoming a politician.
5. Where is The Possessed set?
(a) In the Russian provinces.
(b) In Novgorod.
(c) In St. Petersburg.
(d) In Moscow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lisa Tushin?
2. Why does Nicholas treat Miss Lebyatkin so well?
3. What is Nicholas' relationship with Dasha, according to Liputin?
4. What is Nicholas Stavrogin like as a military officer?
5. Whom does Mrs. Lembke befriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peter feel about Shigalyov's plan?
2. What plans does Peter seem to be making at the end of Part II, Chapter 4?
3. How many people end up involved in the conversation between Mrs. Stavrogin and Shatov at the beginning of Chapter 3 in Part I?
4. How does the first chapter of Part I end?
5. What happens to Stepan at the inn?
6. Describe Mrs. Stavrogin's relationship with Verkhovensky.
7. What do we know about the poem, A Noble Character?
8. What does Peter tell us about Nicholas Stavrogin's relationship with Miss Lebyatkin?
9. What do Lisa Tushin and Kaptain Lebyatkin have in common?
10. What does Peter tell us about why Nicholas Stavrogin treated Miss Lebyatkin the way he did?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)