|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What imputation does Liputin make about Nicholas Stavrogin in his conversation with Kerkhovensky?
(a) That Nicholas is a radical agitator.
(b) That Nicholas is mad.
(c) That Nicholas is dying.
(d) That Nicholas is disreputable.
2. How does Peter plan to instigate his father?
(a) He tries to seduce Dasha himself.
(b) He circulates rumors about Dasha.
(c) He tries to ruin Stavrogin's reputation.
(d) He tells Mrs. Stavrogin lies about his father.
3. How does the Verkhovensky circle feel about Nicholas Stavrogin?
(a) They are afraid of his temper.
(b) They mock him for his pretentiousness.
(c) They admire his charisma.
(d) They are impressed with his wealth.
4. What does Stavrogin do when it is his turn to shoot?
(a) Hits Gaganov's finger.
(b) Shoots in the air.
(c) Shoots Gaganov in the eye.
(d) Aims for Gaganov's heart but misses.
5. What did Nicholas think of Mary Lebyatkin after he got to know her?
(a) He thought she was secretly malicious.
(b) He thought she was a tease.
(c) He thought she was unredeemably lost.
(d) He thought she was better than anyone he knew.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the youth of the town behaving at the time of the fête?
2. Who is Mr. Lembke?
3. Who is Lisa Tushin?
4. What is Julia Lembke's hope for the children?
5. What problem might Stavrogin have with his plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Liputin, Shatov and Virginsky described when we meet them?
2. Describe the events that take place on stage at the fête.
3. How would you characterize the opposition between Stepan and Peter?
4. Who is responsible for killing Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
5. What is on the schedule for the fête, and what is Julia Lembke's position in town on the eve of the fête?
6. How does Peter feel about Shigalyov's plan?
7. What is Shigalyov's new plan of social organization?
8. What condition does Julia Lembke impose on invitations to the fête she is planning for the town?
9. How does Stepan Verhovensky feel about Verkhovensky's marriage to Dasha?
10. Describe Mrs. Stavrogin's relationship with Verkhovensky.
This section contains 1,019 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)