|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Verkhovensky ashamed of?
(a) He is ashamed of his students' mediocre performance at university.
(b) He is ashamed of Dasha's ignorance and lack of good sense.
(c) He is ashamed of being asked to marry Dasha to hide her past.
(d) He is ashamed of Mrs. Stavrogin's control over his liberty.
2. What rumors is Peter spreading in the days before the fête?
(a) That Mr. Lembke is having an affair.
(b) That Mrs. Lembke is an anarchist.
(c) That Stavrogin is a government spy.
(d) That Verkhovensky is a murderer.
3. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
(a) Peter Verkhovensky and Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) Mary Lebyatkin and Mrs. Drozdov.
(c) Stepan Verkhovensky and Lisa Tushin.
(d) Shatov and Liputin.
4. Who is Kirilov?
(a) A local official and former political prisoner.
(b) A friend of Peter Verkhovensky and Nicholas Stavrogin's.
(c) A political agitator from Moscow.
(d) A friend of Shatov's and Mrs. Stavrogin's neighbor.
5. What does Stepan think about marriage?
(a) He misses being married.
(b) He thinks it is every man's duty.
(c) He thinks it is an outdated institution.
(d) He thinks it will corrupt him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Captain Lebyatkin's reputation?
2. Where were Captain Lebyatin and his sister living when Nicholas met them?
3. Where is The Possessed set?
4. How does Stavrogin respond to Kirilov's belief?
5. What is Gaganov's response to Kirilov?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Peter's relationship with Stavrogin?
2. Why is Stepan's house searched?
3. What does Karmazinov think about Russia?
4. What do we know about the poem, A Noble Character?
5. What is Verkhovensky's status in Russian society?
6. Describe Mrs. Stavrogin's relationship with Verkhovensky.
7. What is Shigalyov's new plan of social organization?
8. How do people explain the gathering of workers from the Spigulin factory?
9. What is Gaganov's relationship with Stavrogin?
10. Who dies as a result of Shatov's murder? Who is arrested?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)