|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Stepan's impression of the confrontation that took place at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) That Mrs. Stavrogin had let her son have too much rein.
(b) That Peter was out to assassinate people's characters.
(c) That Stavrogin needed to be taken down.
(d) That Peter had planned it all along.
2. What imputation does Liputin make about Nicholas Stavrogin in his conversation with Kerkhovensky?
(a) That Nicholas is dying.
(b) That Nicholas is disreputable.
(c) That Nicholas is mad.
(d) That Nicholas is a radical agitator.
3. How does the Verkhovensky circle feel about Nicholas Stavrogin?
(a) They mock him for his pretentiousness.
(b) They are impressed with his wealth.
(c) They are afraid of his temper.
(d) They admire his charisma.
4. Why does Stavrogin plan to duel Gaganov?
(a) Gaganov had been insulting Stavrogin.
(b) Gaganov's father had been an enemy of Stavrogin's father's.
(c) Gaganov had threatened to take Mary Lebyatkin away from Stavrogin.
(d) Gaganov had threatened to evict Mrs. Stavrogin from her estate.
5. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
(a) Shatov and Liputin.
(b) Stepan Verkhovensky and Lisa Tushin.
(c) Mary Lebyatkin and Mrs. Drozdov.
(d) Peter Verkhovensky and Captain Lebyatkin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Shatov?
2. Where were Captain Lebyatin and his sister living when Nicholas met them?
3. Who has been in hiding for the week after the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's?
4. Who is Lisa Tushin?
5. What are Shatov's political views?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Verkhovensky's status in Russian society?
2. Why does Lisa Tushin approach Shatov?
3. How does Stavrogin try to avoid the duel with Gaganov?
4. What happens to Lisa after she hears about Stavrogin's role in Mary and the Captain's murder?
5. How would you characterize the opposition between Stepan and Peter?
6. How do people explain the gathering of workers from the Spigulin factory?
7. What does Peter tell us about Nicholas Stavrogin's relationship with Miss Lebyatkin?
8. What is the purpose of the gathering at Mr. Virginsky's house?
9. What does Karmazinov think about Russia?
10. What is Julia Lembke's relationship with the youth of her town?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)