|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are workers from the Spigulin factory massing in the street?
(a) They are demanding the release of political prisoners.
(b) They are enjoying their day off.
(c) They are petitioning for the governor to intervene in a payment dispute.
(d) They are organizing themselves for the new, post-revolutionary society.
2. Who alone knows the purpose of the meeting at Virginsky's house?
(c) Peter Verkhovensky.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
3. Who does Peter leave Virginsky's house to meet?
(a) Lisa Tushin.
(b) His father.
(c) Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) Kirilov and Stavrogin.
4. What does Blum say about the search at Peter Verkhovensky's?
(a) It was a mistake.
(b) Virginsky had testified that Peter was the leader of the radical group.
(c) Shatov had tipped the police off.
(d) The police found what they were looking for.
5. Russia's salvation seems to reside where, in Dostoevsky's opinion?
(a) In the peasants.
(b) In the Church.
(c) In the radicals.
(d) In the monarchy.
6. What kind of speech does Stepan Verkhovensky give?
(a) A justification of revolutionary acts.
(b) An attack on materialism.
(c) A jeremiad against the people themselves.
(d) A defense of high culture.
7. How do the revolutionaries dispose of Shatov's body?
(a) They throw him the river.
(b) They bury him in the woods.
(c) They cut up his body and burn him.
(d) They tie rocks to his feet and throw his body in the pond.
8. What led to the release of the demons in Russia in the nineteenth century?
(a) The invention of the railroad.
(b) The publication of Darwin's Origin of Species.
(c) Convulsions associated with modernization.
(d) The invention of the printing press.
9. Who does the chief of police begin to arrest?
(a) The people who complain about the lack of food.
(b) The people who bring alcohol into the fête.
(c) The people who disseminate radical literature.
(d) The people who set fire to the hall.
10. Whom does Lisa find after she leaves Stavrogin's?
11. Who is attacked after the murder of Shatov?
12. What is the overall message of The Possessed?
(a) Conspiracy against the government is always fruitless.
(b) Russia is in the hands of loving protectors like Stepan Verkhovensky.
(c) Russia is possessed with demons.
(d) Tyrannical monarchy will bring about its own downfall.
13. Who chases after Lisa when she leaves Stavrogin's house?
14. How long had Shatov's wife been gone before she returns?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three years.
15. Where do Lisa and the man she meets rush off to after they meet?
(a) They go to Lembke's.
(b) They go to Shatov's.
(c) They go to Mrs. Stavrogin's.
(d) They go to see the people who were murdered.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stepan Verkhovensky set off for after the fête?
2. Who kills Shatov?
3. What do the police take from Peter Verkhovensky's house?
4. Who shows up to talk with Shatov after Shatov's wife returns?
5. How does the audience respond to Karminazov's reading?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)