|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Peter blame for Mary and Captain Lebyatkin's murder?
2. Who do the townspeople believe killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
3. What is Peter Verkhovensky concerned about when he rushes out of Virginsky's house?
(a) A letter that might expose the group.
(b) An arrest warrant that has been issued for him.
(c) Getting his manuscript to the press in time for printing.
(d) A raid that is planned for his house.
4. Who does Peter leave Virginsky's house to meet?
(a) Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) Lisa Tushin.
(c) His father.
(d) Kirilov and Stavrogin.
5. Who had a hand in manipulating Lisa to be with Stavrogin?
6. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to the search of Peter's house?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He helps the police.
(c) He resists the search with force.
(d) He hides in a closet.
7. Who is attacked after the murder of Shatov?
8. What does Stepan Verkhovensky find in his wanderings?
(b) A good woman's love.
(c) Honest peasants.
(d) Alcoholism and despair.
9. What does Shatov ask Kirilov for after he discovers that his wife is pregnant?
(a) Money for a divorce.
(b) He asks Kirilov to raise the child.
(c) Money for a midwife.
(d) Help leaving town.
10. What have Lisa and Stavrogin done as Chapter 3 of Part 3 begins?
(a) Stolen money from Mrs. Lembke.
(b) Run away to Moscow.
(c) Burned the town.
(d) Spent the night together.
11. Who alone knows the purpose of the meeting at Virginsky's house?
(c) Peter Verkhovensky.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
12. How long had Shatov's wife been gone before she returns?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three years.
13. What happens to the swine in the story from Luke?
(a) They run wild and ruin the town after Jesus fills them with devils.
(b) They are killed and eaten after Jesus fills them with devils.
(c) They drown after Jesus fills them with devils.
(d) They are disemboweled and scattered around the town after Jesus fills them with devils.
14. What does Shatov have to do in order to leave the group of radicals peacefully?
(a) Reveal the hiding place of the printing press.
(b) Leave town and leave his property to the radicals.
(c) Renounce his association with them publicly.
(d) Swear loyalty to the radicals' ideals.
15. Where does Stepan Verkhovensky set off for after the fête?
(a) He is taking a coach back to Mrs. Stavrogin's.
(b) He is walking across Russia.
(c) He is taking the train to Moscow.
(d) He is taking the train to St. Petersburg.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows up to talk with Shatov after Shatov's wife returns?
2. Who does Peter allow into the fête?
3. For whom are the swine a metaphor in the story of Luke?
4. What kind of speech does Stepan Verkhovensky give?
5. What does Lisa Tushin challenge Stavrogin to do?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)