|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of these characters is NOT in Peter's secret group?
2. What kind of speech does Stepan Verkhovensky give?
(a) A justification of revolutionary acts.
(b) A jeremiad against the people themselves.
(c) An attack on materialism.
(d) A defense of high culture.
3. Why is The Possessed an inaccurate transposition of the story of the swine in Luke?
(a) The devils reside in the human heart, and can never be cast out completely.
(b) Russia's tumultuous revolution dwarfs the revolutionary action of the novel.
(c) The devils are more destructive in the story, and also more difficult to control.
(d) The devils that haunt Russia are not as easy to cast out as Peter and his radicals.
4. Who is attacked after the murder of Shatov?
5. Why are workers from the Spigulin factory massing in the street?
(a) They are demanding the release of political prisoners.
(b) They are enjoying their day off.
(c) They are organizing themselves for the new, post-revolutionary society.
(d) They are petitioning for the governor to intervene in a payment dispute.
6. What does Lisa Tushin challenge Stavrogin to do?
(a) Divorce Mary Lebyatkin.
(b) Murder Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) Murder his mother.
(d) Get Lebyatkin to stop writing her letters.
7. What happens to Stavrogin as the novel concludes?
(a) He returns to his mother's home.
(b) He is imprisoned for Mary's murder.
(c) He returns to the military and moves away.
(d) He commits suicide.
8. Whom does Stavrogin defend from Peter?
(c) Captain Leybatkin.
9. What crime is Fedka implicated in?
10. When Stavrogin catches up with Peter, what does Peter suggest to him?
(a) That Lebyatkin plans to blackmail Stavrogin.
(b) That the police have been watching him.
(c) That the flood in the mine was planned.
(d) That Shatov is plotting against him.
11. How does the audience respond to Karminazov's reading?
(a) They are bored.
(b) They weep at the beauty of it.
(c) They sing Karminazov's praises.
(d) They begin to riot.
12. What does Virginsky say to the radicals after Shatov's wife gives birth?
(a) He tells them that Shatov is more committed to revolution now than ever before.
(b) He tells them that Shatov has renounced all his association with radical ideals.
(c) He tells them that Shatov will never inform on them now.
(d) He tells them that they should put down their plans and celebrate with Shatov and his wife.
13. Who kills Shatov?
14. What have Liputin and Fedka been doing at the Spigulin factory?
(b) Managing the workers.
(c) Streamlining the work flow.
(d) Fomenting discontent.
15. What does Lisa overhear of Stavrogin's conversation with Peter?
(a) She hears that Stavrogin knows who killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) She hears that Fedka killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) She hears that Stavrogin killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) She hears taht Peter killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are in Peter Verkhovensky's secret group of radicals?
2. What is Peter Verkhovensky concerned about when he rushes out of Virginsky's house?
3. What does Stepan ask of the police during the search?
4. What have Lisa and Stavrogin done as Chapter 3 of Part 3 begins?
5. What does Shatov have to do in order to leave the group of radicals peacefully?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)