|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does the birth of Shatov's child have on him?
(a) It fills him with forgiveness for his wife's infidelity.
(b) It renews his commitment to revolutionary ideals.
(c) It fills him with dread for the world's sufferings.
(d) It renews his faith in God.
2. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to the search of Peter's house?
(a) He hides in a closet.
(b) He helps the police.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He resists the search with force.
3. Why do the townspeople think the Lebyatkins were killed?
(a) To avenge their persecution of the aristocrats.
(b) To free Stavrogin to have his affair with Lisa Tushin.
(c) To limit the radicals' liabilities.
(d) To punish them for blackmailing the radical group.
4. How has public opinion shifted on the eve of the fête?
(a) The people are now in favor of change.
(b) The agitators have succeeded in turning the crowds against the government.
(c) It is now against Mrs. Lembke.
(d) The workers are anxious to disrupt the fête.
5. Why are workers from the Spigulin factory massing in the street?
(a) They are organizing themselves for the new, post-revolutionary society.
(b) They are enjoying their day off.
(c) They are demanding the release of political prisoners.
(d) They are petitioning for the governor to intervene in a payment dispute.
6. What happens to Stavrogin as the novel concludes?
(a) He is imprisoned for Mary's murder.
(b) He returns to the military and moves away.
(c) He commits suicide.
(d) He returns to his mother's home.
7. What is the real purpose of the gathering at Virginsky's house?
(a) A planning meeting for Mrs. Lembke's fête.
(b) Planning to overthrow the government.
(c) A radical political meeting.
(d) A literary club meeting.
8. What is Peter Verkhovensky concerned about when he rushes out of Virginsky's house?
(a) An arrest warrant that has been issued for him.
(b) A letter that might expose the group.
(c) A raid that is planned for his house.
(d) Getting his manuscript to the press in time for printing.
9. What is Shigalyov's plan for the new social organization?
(a) Abolish industrialism and return to farming.
(b) Enslave 90% of humanity.
(c) Liberate the peasants.
(d) Eliminate the aristocracy.
10. What crime is Fedka implicated in?
11. Why is Peter intent on killing Shatov?
(a) Out of love for Shatov's wife.
(b) Because Shatov knows too much about his plans.
(c) Out of envy for Stepan's regard for Shatov.
(d) From an insult years ago.
12. Who kills Shatov?
13. What does Stavrogin believe in?
(a) The equality of slaves.
(b) The right of the aristocrats to rule.
(c) The governing potential of new industries.
(d) The value of ancient farming methods.
14. Who is attacked after the murder of Shatov?
15. Who does the chief of police begin to arrest?
(a) The people who complain about the lack of food.
(b) The people who set fire to the hall.
(c) The people who bring alcohol into the fête.
(d) The people who disseminate radical literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Peter allow into the fête?
2. Where does Stepan Verkhovensky wander into in the beginning of Chapter 7 of Part 3?
3. Whom does Lisa find after she leaves Stavrogin's?
4. How long had Shatov's wife been gone before she returns?
5. What does Lisa overhear of Stavrogin's conversation with Peter?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)