|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had some poor people done to prepare for the fête?
(a) Pawned their belongings to buy gowns.
(b) Stolen money from Lembke.
(c) Moved away to make room for Lembke's guests.
(d) Broken into the banquet hall.
2. What happens to Stavrogin as the novel concludes?
(a) He returns to the military and moves away.
(b) He commits suicide.
(c) He is imprisoned for Mary's murder.
(d) He returns to his mother's home.
3. What cover do the fifteen people use for gathering at Virginsky's house?
(a) They are there to celerate the birth of his son.
(b) They are there to help him through his illness.
(c) They are there to help him move.
(d) They are there to celebrate his birthday.
4. What does Dostoevsky seem to believe is the problem with Russia?
(a) It is poisoned by its peasant spirituality.
(b) It is both attracted to and repulsed by industrial modernism.
(c) It is held back by its feudal past.
(d) It is ripe for a revolution but incapable of emerging from one.
5. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to the search of Peter's house?
(a) He helps the police.
(b) He resists the search with force.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He hides in a closet.
6. Which one of these characters is NOT in Peter's secret group?
7. What kind of speech does Stepan Verkhovensky give?
(a) A justification of revolutionary acts.
(b) An attack on materialism.
(c) A defense of high culture.
(d) A jeremiad against the people themselves.
8. Why is Lisa Tushin killed?
(a) The police convict her of the murder of Captain and Mary Lebyatkin and execute her.
(b) She is killed by the radicals, who want to get to Stavrogin.
(c) The townspeople blame her for the murder of Captain and Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) She is killed accidentally when her carriage turns over.
9. Who do the townspeople believe killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
10. How do the revolutionaries dispose of Shatov's body?
(a) They cut up his body and burn him.
(b) They bury him in the woods.
(c) They tie rocks to his feet and throw his body in the pond.
(d) They throw him the river.
11. Why was it a mistake to charge a high price for the fête?
(a) No one could afford to come.
(b) The people who came wanted food.
(c) Expensive tickets excluded the writers.
(d) The people expected to be entertained.
12. What does Stepan Verkhovensky find in his wanderings?
(a) Honest peasants.
(b) A good woman's love.
(c) Alcoholism and despair.
13. Who does Peter leave Virginsky's house to meet?
(a) Kirilov and Stavrogin.
(b) His father.
(c) Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) Lisa Tushin.
14. What does Shatov ask Kirilov for after he discovers that his wife is pregnant?
(a) Help leaving town.
(b) Money for a divorce.
(c) He asks Kirilov to raise the child.
(d) Money for a midwife.
15. When Stavrogin catches up with Peter, what does Peter suggest to him?
(a) That the flood in the mine was planned.
(b) That Shatov is plotting against him.
(c) That the police have been watching him.
(d) That Lebyatkin plans to blackmail Stavrogin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who alone knows the purpose of the meeting at Virginsky's house?
2. What does Stepan ask of the police during the search?
3. What happens to the swine in the story from Luke?
4. Who shows up to talk with Shatov after Shatov's wife returns?
5. Who chases after Lisa when she leaves Stavrogin's house?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)