|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Stavrogin catches up with Peter, what does Peter suggest to him?
(a) That Shatov is plotting against him.
(b) That Lebyatkin plans to blackmail Stavrogin.
(c) That the police have been watching him.
(d) That the flood in the mine was planned.
2. Who alone knows the purpose of the meeting at Virginsky's house?
(a) Peter Verkhovensky.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
3. Who had a hand in manipulating Lisa to be with Stavrogin?
4. Whom does Stavrogin defend from Peter?
(d) Captain Leybatkin.
5. Who do the townspeople believe killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
6. Why are workers from the Spigulin factory massing in the street?
(a) They are demanding the release of political prisoners.
(b) They are petitioning for the governor to intervene in a payment dispute.
(c) They are enjoying their day off.
(d) They are organizing themselves for the new, post-revolutionary society.
7. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to the search of Peter's house?
(a) He resists the search with force.
(b) He helps the police.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He hides in a closet.
8. Who kills Shatov?
9. How has public opinion shifted on the eve of the fête?
(a) The people are now in favor of change.
(b) It is now against Mrs. Lembke.
(c) The agitators have succeeded in turning the crowds against the government.
(d) The workers are anxious to disrupt the fête.
10. Who takes the stage after Stepan Verkhovensky?
(b) A mad professor.
(d) Julia Lembke.
11. Why do the townspeople think the Lebyatkins were killed?
(a) To limit the radicals' liabilities.
(b) To avenge their persecution of the aristocrats.
(c) To free Stavrogin to have his affair with Lisa Tushin.
(d) To punish them for blackmailing the radical group.
12. Who chases after Lisa when she leaves Stavrogin's house?
13. How many people are in Peter Verkhovensky's secret group of radicals?
14. The first chapter of Part 3 is set the day after what?
(a) Shatov's wife returns.
(b) Peter Verkhvensky's house being searched.
(c) The meeting at Virginsky's.
(d) The factory riot.
15. What resonance does the story of the swine from Luke have with the novel?
(a) Dostoevsky appears to believe that revolutionaries are possessed by demons.
(b) Dostoevsky appears to believe that Russia is possessed by demons.
(c) Dostoevsky appears to believe that educated people are possessed by demons.
(d) Dostoevsky appears to believe that lovers are possessed by demons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is attacked after the murder of Shatov?
2. What reason does the narrator have for visiting Lembke?
3. What had some poor people done to prepare for the fête?
4. Which revolutionary dissociates himself from murder as a strategy?
5. Whom does Lisa find after she leaves Stavrogin's?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)