|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the real purpose of the gathering at Virginsky's house?
(a) Planning to overthrow the government.
(b) A planning meeting for Mrs. Lembke's fête.
(c) A literary club meeting.
(d) A radical political meeting.
2. Who takes the stage after Stepan Verkhovensky?
(a) Julia Lembke.
(b) A mad professor.
3. Who does the chief of police begin to arrest?
(a) The people who complain about the lack of food.
(b) The people who set fire to the hall.
(c) The people who disseminate radical literature.
(d) The people who bring alcohol into the fête.
4. Why is The Possessed an inaccurate transposition of the story of the swine in Luke?
(a) Russia's tumultuous revolution dwarfs the revolutionary action of the novel.
(b) The devils are more destructive in the story, and also more difficult to control.
(c) The devils reside in the human heart, and can never be cast out completely.
(d) The devils that haunt Russia are not as easy to cast out as Peter and his radicals.
5. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to the search of Peter's house?
(a) He helps the police.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He resists the search with force.
(d) He hides in a closet.
6. What happens to the swine in the story from Luke?
(a) They are disemboweled and scattered around the town after Jesus fills them with devils.
(b) They drown after Jesus fills them with devils.
(c) They run wild and ruin the town after Jesus fills them with devils.
(d) They are killed and eaten after Jesus fills them with devils.
7. Whom does Lisa find after she leaves Stavrogin's?
8. Who kills Kirilov?
(d) He kills himself.
9. Who does Peter allow into the fête?
(a) Writers and artists.
(b) Lower-class people.
(c) Criminals and prostitutes.
(d) Radical agitators.
10. Which revolutionary dissociates himself from murder as a strategy?
(a) Peter Verkhovensky.
11. Who do the townspeople believe killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
12. Russia's salvation seems to reside where, in Dostoevsky's opinion?
(a) In the monarchy.
(b) In the Church.
(c) In the radicals.
(d) In the peasants.
13. What does Stepan Verkhovensky have to work up his courage to do?
(a) Flee to Germany.
(b) Publish his radical tract.
(c) Ask Mrs. Stavrogin to marry him.
(d) Visit Lembke to find out why he is being searched.
14. Where do Lisa and the man she meets rush off to after they meet?
(a) They go to Lembke's.
(b) They go to Mrs. Stavrogin's.
(c) They go to Shatov's.
(d) They go to see the people who were murdered.
15. Whom does Stavrogin defend from Peter?
(b) Captain Leybatkin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Virginsky say to the radicals after Shatov's wife gives birth?
2. What does Blum say about the search at Peter Verkhovensky's?
3. Where does Stepan Verkhovensky set off for after the fête?
4. What do the police take from Peter Verkhovensky's house?
5. Who does Peter leave Virginsky's house to meet?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)