|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of poem does Liputin read to the crowd?
(a) A pastoral idyll.
(b) A patriotic ode.
(c) A call for revolution.
(d) An obscene farce.
2. What do the police take from Peter Verkhovensky's house?
(a) Papers and books.
(c) Radical anarchists.
3. What does Stavrogin want Fedka to do?
(a) Kill Shatov.
(b) Start a riot.
(c) Return to prison.
(d) Kill Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
4. What had some poor people done to prepare for the fête?
(a) Broken into the banquet hall.
(b) Stolen money from Lembke.
(c) Pawned their belongings to buy gowns.
(d) Moved away to make room for Lembke's guests.
5. How does the audience respond to Karminazov's reading?
(a) They begin to riot.
(b) They sing Karminazov's praises.
(c) They weep at the beauty of it.
(d) They are bored.
6. Why was it a mistake to charge a high price for the fête?
(a) No one could afford to come.
(b) The people expected to be entertained.
(c) Expensive tickets excluded the writers.
(d) The people who came wanted food.
7. How long had Shatov's wife been gone before she returns?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three days.
8. Where does Stepan Verkhovensky set off for after the fête?
(a) He is taking the train to Moscow.
(b) He is taking the train to St. Petersburg.
(c) He is taking a coach back to Mrs. Stavrogin's.
(d) He is walking across Russia.
9. Where do Lisa and the man she meets rush off to after they meet?
(a) They go to Mrs. Stavrogin's.
(b) They go to Lembke's.
(c) They go to Shatov's.
(d) They go to see the people who were murdered.
10. Who does Peter allow into the fête?
(a) Writers and artists.
(b) Criminals and prostitutes.
(c) Lower-class people.
(d) Radical agitators.
11. When Stavrogin catches up with Peter, what does Peter suggest to him?
(a) That the police have been watching him.
(b) That Lebyatkin plans to blackmail Stavrogin.
(c) That Shatov is plotting against him.
(d) That the flood in the mine was planned.
12. What does Stavrogin look for and not find in the final chapters?
(a) His mother's forgiveness.
(c) Just punishment.
(d) A good woman's love.
13. Whom does Lisa find after she leaves Stavrogin's?
14. What is the overall message of The Possessed?
(a) Conspiracy against the government is always fruitless.
(b) Tyrannical monarchy will bring about its own downfall.
(c) Russia is possessed with demons.
(d) Russia is in the hands of loving protectors like Stepan Verkhovensky.
15. Who chases after Lisa when she leaves Stavrogin's house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shatov ask Kirilov for after he discovers that his wife is pregnant?
2. Russia's salvation seems to reside where, in Dostoevsky's opinion?
3. What does Lisa overhear of Stavrogin's conversation with Peter?
4. Who kills Shatov?
5. What does Virginsky say to the radicals after Shatov's wife gives birth?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)