|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Peter Verkhovensky concerned about when he rushes out of Virginsky's house?
(a) A raid that is planned for his house.
(b) Getting his manuscript to the press in time for printing.
(c) An arrest warrant that has been issued for him.
(d) A letter that might expose the group.
2. What does Stavrogin want Fedka to do?
(a) Return to prison.
(b) Start a riot.
(c) Kill Shatov.
(d) Kill Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
3. What reason does the narrator have for visiting Lembke?
(a) He wants to know why he is being searched.
(b) He wants to arrange to get out of the country.
(c) He wants to prevent Stepan Verkhovensky from doing anything silly.
(d) He wants to testify against Peter Verkhovensky.
4. What is the real purpose of the gathering at Virginsky's house?
(a) A planning meeting for Mrs. Lembke's fête.
(b) A literary club meeting.
(c) A radical political meeting.
(d) Planning to overthrow the government.
5. What had some poor people done to prepare for the fête?
(a) Moved away to make room for Lembke's guests.
(b) Stolen money from Lembke.
(c) Broken into the banquet hall.
(d) Pawned their belongings to buy gowns.
6. What does Shatov have to do in order to leave the group of radicals peacefully?
(a) Reveal the hiding place of the printing press.
(b) Swear loyalty to the radicals' ideals.
(c) Leave town and leave his property to the radicals.
(d) Renounce his association with them publicly.
7. What is Shigalyov's plan for the new social organization?
(a) Eliminate the aristocracy.
(b) Liberate the peasants.
(c) Enslave 90% of humanity.
(d) Abolish industrialism and return to farming.
8. Who do the townspeople believe killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
9. Why was it a mistake to charge a high price for the fête?
(a) Expensive tickets excluded the writers.
(b) No one could afford to come.
(c) The people who came wanted food.
(d) The people expected to be entertained.
10. Shatov is happy to see his wife in spite of what?
(a) Her infidelity.
(b) Her illness.
(c) Her poverty.
(d) Her disdain for him.
11. How has public opinion shifted on the eve of the fête?
(a) The agitators have succeeded in turning the crowds against the government.
(b) The people are now in favor of change.
(c) The workers are anxious to disrupt the fête.
(d) It is now against Mrs. Lembke.
12. What does Blum say about the search at Peter Verkhovensky's?
(a) The police found what they were looking for.
(b) Virginsky had testified that Peter was the leader of the radical group.
(c) It was a mistake.
(d) Shatov had tipped the police off.
13. What does Stepan ask of the police during the search?
(a) He demands the name of the officer in charge.
(b) He asks for a more thorough search.
(c) He asks for immunity if he testifies against Peter.
(d) He asks for money as an inducement to help them.
14. What kind of speech does Stepan Verkhovensky give?
(a) A jeremiad against the people themselves.
(b) A defense of high culture.
(c) A justification of revolutionary acts.
(d) An attack on materialism.
15. What does Virginsky say to the radicals after Shatov's wife gives birth?
(a) He tells them that Shatov has renounced all his association with radical ideals.
(b) He tells them that Shatov will never inform on them now.
(c) He tells them that they should put down their plans and celebrate with Shatov and his wife.
(d) He tells them that Shatov is more committed to revolution now than ever before.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are in Peter Verkhovensky's secret group of radicals?
2. Who does Peter leave Virginsky's house to meet?
3. What does Dostoevsky seem to believe is the problem with Russia?
4. What does Stavrogin look for and not find in the final chapters?
5. Who chases after Lisa when she leaves Stavrogin's house?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)