|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to the search of Peter's house?
(a) He hides in a closet.
(b) He helps the police.
(c) He runs away.
(d) He resists the search with force.
2. What is Peter Verkhovensky concerned about when he rushes out of Virginsky's house?
(a) A raid that is planned for his house.
(b) A letter that might expose the group.
(c) An arrest warrant that has been issued for him.
(d) Getting his manuscript to the press in time for printing.
3. How many people are in Peter Verkhovensky's secret group of radicals?
4. Why does Lisa want to leave Stavrogin at the beginning of the Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) Stavrogin confessed to killing Mary.
(b) They have begun to quarrel.
(c) Stavrogin told her he didn't love her.
(d) She wanted to report his murder to the police.
5. What is Shigalyov's plan for the new social organization?
(a) Eliminate the aristocracy.
(b) Enslave 90% of humanity.
(c) Liberate the peasants.
(d) Abolish industrialism and return to farming.
6. What have Lisa and Stavrogin done as Chapter 3 of Part 3 begins?
(a) Spent the night together.
(b) Stolen money from Mrs. Lembke.
(c) Burned the town.
(d) Run away to Moscow.
7. Who do the townspeople believe killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
8. What led to the release of the demons in Russia in the nineteenth century?
(a) The publication of Darwin's Origin of Species.
(b) The invention of the printing press.
(c) The invention of the railroad.
(d) Convulsions associated with modernization.
9. Who kills Kirilov?
(c) He kills himself.
10. What kind of speech does Stepan Verkhovensky give?
(a) A defense of high culture.
(b) An attack on materialism.
(c) A jeremiad against the people themselves.
(d) A justification of revolutionary acts.
11. The first chapter of Part 3 is set the day after what?
(a) Shatov's wife returns.
(b) The factory riot.
(c) The meeting at Virginsky's.
(d) Peter Verkhvensky's house being searched.
12. Who does Peter allow into the fête?
(a) Radical agitators.
(b) Criminals and prostitutes.
(c) Writers and artists.
(d) Lower-class people.
13. Why is Peter intent on killing Shatov?
(a) Because Shatov knows too much about his plans.
(b) Out of love for Shatov's wife.
(c) From an insult years ago.
(d) Out of envy for Stepan's regard for Shatov.
14. What crime is Fedka implicated in?
15. Russia's salvation seems to reside where, in Dostoevsky's opinion?
(a) In the monarchy.
(b) In the Church.
(c) In the peasants.
(d) In the radicals.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have Liputin and Fedka been doing at the Spigulin factory?
2. How long had Shatov's wife been gone before she returns?
3. What does Lisa Tushin challenge Stavrogin to do?
4. Who alone knows the purpose of the meeting at Virginsky's house?
5. What does Virginsky say to the radicals after Shatov's wife gives birth?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)