|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is on the stage when Karminazov goes to speak?
(a) Stepan Verkhovensky.
(c) Captain Lebyatkin.
2. How does the audience respond to Karminazov's reading?
(a) They begin to riot.
(b) They are bored.
(c) They weep at the beauty of it.
(d) They sing Karminazov's praises.
3. Who takes the stage after Stepan Verkhovensky?
(b) A mad professor.
(d) Julia Lembke.
4. What does Lisa Tushin challenge Stavrogin to do?
(a) Get Lebyatkin to stop writing her letters.
(b) Murder his mother.
(c) Murder Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) Divorce Mary Lebyatkin.
5. Shatov is happy to see his wife in spite of what?
(a) Her illness.
(b) Her poverty.
(c) Her infidelity.
(d) Her disdain for him.
6. Why is Lisa Tushin killed?
(a) The police convict her of the murder of Captain and Mary Lebyatkin and execute her.
(b) She is killed by the radicals, who want to get to Stavrogin.
(c) The townspeople blame her for the murder of Captain and Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) She is killed accidentally when her carriage turns over.
7. What does Virginsky say to the radicals after Shatov's wife gives birth?
(a) He tells them that they should put down their plans and celebrate with Shatov and his wife.
(b) He tells them that Shatov has renounced all his association with radical ideals.
(c) He tells them that Shatov is more committed to revolution now than ever before.
(d) He tells them that Shatov will never inform on them now.
8. When Stavrogin catches up with Peter, what does Peter suggest to him?
(a) That the police have been watching him.
(b) That Lebyatkin plans to blackmail Stavrogin.
(c) That the flood in the mine was planned.
(d) That Shatov is plotting against him.
9. Whom does Stavrogin defend from Peter?
(d) Captain Leybatkin.
10. What is the narrator's response to Stepan Verkhovensky's reaction to the search of Peter's house?
(a) He is determined to bring Peter to justice.
(b) He is intimidated.
(c) He is baffled.
(d) He is worried.
11. Who does Peter allow into the fête?
(a) Radical agitators.
(b) Criminals and prostitutes.
(c) Lower-class people.
(d) Writers and artists.
12. What happens to Stavrogin as the novel concludes?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He returns to his mother's home.
(c) He returns to the military and moves away.
(d) He is imprisoned for Mary's murder.
13. What is Shigalyov's plan for the new social organization?
(a) Liberate the peasants.
(b) Enslave 90% of humanity.
(c) Abolish industrialism and return to farming.
(d) Eliminate the aristocracy.
14. What does Lisa overhear of Stavrogin's conversation with Peter?
(a) She hears that Stavrogin knows who killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) She hears that Fedka killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) She hears taht Peter killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) She hears that Stavrogin killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
15. Who alone knows the purpose of the meeting at Virginsky's house?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(d) Peter Verkhovensky.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police take from Peter Verkhovensky's house?
2. What does Shatov ask Kirilov for after he discovers that his wife is pregnant?
3. Who does Peter blame for Mary and Captain Lebyatkin's murder?
4. Which one of these characters is NOT in Peter's secret group?
5. Why do the townspeople think the Lebyatkins were killed?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)