|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is on the stage when Karminazov goes to speak?
(a) Stepan Verkhovensky.
(c) Captain Lebyatkin.
2. Who does Peter leave Virginsky's house to meet?
(a) Kirilov and Stavrogin.
(b) His father.
(c) Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) Lisa Tushin.
3. What does Stavrogin want Fedka to do?
(a) Kill Shatov.
(b) Kill Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) Start a riot.
(d) Return to prison.
4. How do the revolutionaries dispose of Shatov's body?
(a) They bury him in the woods.
(b) They throw him the river.
(c) They cut up his body and burn him.
(d) They tie rocks to his feet and throw his body in the pond.
5. What does Stavrogin believe in?
(a) The value of ancient farming methods.
(b) The right of the aristocrats to rule.
(c) The governing potential of new industries.
(d) The equality of slaves.
6. What reason does the narrator have for visiting Lembke?
(a) He wants to know why he is being searched.
(b) He wants to prevent Stepan Verkhovensky from doing anything silly.
(c) He wants to testify against Peter Verkhovensky.
(d) He wants to arrange to get out of the country.
7. Why was it a mistake to charge a high price for the fête?
(a) Expensive tickets excluded the writers.
(b) No one could afford to come.
(c) The people who came wanted food.
(d) The people expected to be entertained.
8. What does Stepan Verkhovensky find in his wanderings?
(b) Honest peasants.
(c) Alcoholism and despair.
(d) A good woman's love.
9. Who shows up to talk with Shatov after Shatov's wife returns?
10. Who had a hand in manipulating Lisa to be with Stavrogin?
11. What do the police take from Peter Verkhovensky's house?
(c) Papers and books.
(d) Radical anarchists.
12. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to the search of Peter's house?
(a) He helps the police.
(b) He runs away.
(c) He hides in a closet.
(d) He resists the search with force.
13. What is Shigalyov's plan for the new social organization?
(a) Abolish industrialism and return to farming.
(b) Eliminate the aristocracy.
(c) Liberate the peasants.
(d) Enslave 90% of humanity.
14. When Stavrogin catches up with Peter, what does Peter suggest to him?
(a) That the flood in the mine was planned.
(b) That Lebyatkin plans to blackmail Stavrogin.
(c) That Shatov is plotting against him.
(d) That the police have been watching him.
15. What does Lisa overhear of Stavrogin's conversation with Peter?
(a) She hears that Fedka killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) She hears taht Peter killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) She hears that Stavrogin knows who killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) She hears that Stavrogin killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lisa want to leave Stavrogin at the beginning of the Part 3, Chapter 3?
2. What is the overall message of The Possessed?
3. How has public opinion shifted on the eve of the fête?
4. How does the audience respond to Karminazov's reading?
5. What is the narrator's response to Stepan Verkhovensky's reaction to the search of Peter's house?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)