|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the chief of police begin to arrest?
(a) The people who disseminate radical literature.
(b) The people who set fire to the hall.
(c) The people who complain about the lack of food.
(d) The people who bring alcohol into the fête.
2. Whom does Stavrogin defend from Peter?
(a) Captain Leybatkin.
3. Why is Lisa Tushin killed?
(a) She is killed accidentally when her carriage turns over.
(b) She is killed by the radicals, who want to get to Stavrogin.
(c) The police convict her of the murder of Captain and Mary Lebyatkin and execute her.
(d) The townspeople blame her for the murder of Captain and Mary Lebyatkin.
4. Who is on the stage when Karminazov goes to speak?
(b) Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) Stepan Verkhovensky.
5. How do the revolutionaries dispose of Shatov's body?
(a) They tie rocks to his feet and throw his body in the pond.
(b) They bury him in the woods.
(c) They throw him the river.
(d) They cut up his body and burn him.
6. What does Shatov have to do in order to leave the group of radicals peacefully?
(a) Renounce his association with them publicly.
(b) Leave town and leave his property to the radicals.
(c) Reveal the hiding place of the printing press.
(d) Swear loyalty to the radicals' ideals.
7. What crime is Fedka implicated in?
8. What kind of poem does Liputin read to the crowd?
(a) A pastoral idyll.
(b) A call for revolution.
(c) A patriotic ode.
(d) An obscene farce.
9. What does Stepan Verkhovensky find in his wanderings?
(a) A good woman's love.
(c) Honest peasants.
(d) Alcoholism and despair.
10. Whom does Lisa find after she leaves Stavrogin's?
11. What cover do the fifteen people use for gathering at Virginsky's house?
(a) They are there to help him through his illness.
(b) They are there to celebrate his birthday.
(c) They are there to help him move.
(d) They are there to celerate the birth of his son.
12. What resonance does the story of the swine from Luke have with the novel?
(a) Dostoevsky appears to believe that lovers are possessed by demons.
(b) Dostoevsky appears to believe that educated people are possessed by demons.
(c) Dostoevsky appears to believe that Russia is possessed by demons.
(d) Dostoevsky appears to believe that revolutionaries are possessed by demons.
13. What effect does the birth of Shatov's child have on him?
(a) It renews his faith in God.
(b) It renews his commitment to revolutionary ideals.
(c) It fills him with forgiveness for his wife's infidelity.
(d) It fills him with dread for the world's sufferings.
14. When Stavrogin catches up with Peter, what does Peter suggest to him?
(a) That the police have been watching him.
(b) That the flood in the mine was planned.
(c) That Lebyatkin plans to blackmail Stavrogin.
(d) That Shatov is plotting against him.
15. Who does Peter blame for Mary and Captain Lebyatkin's murder?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the audience respond to Karminazov's reading?
2. How has public opinion shifted on the eve of the fête?
3. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to the search of Peter's house?
4. What happens to Stavrogin as the novel concludes?
5. Why does Lisa want to leave Stavrogin at the beginning of the Part 3, Chapter 3?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)