|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have Lisa and Stavrogin done as Chapter 3 of Part 3 begins?
(a) Run away to Moscow.
(b) Burned the town.
(c) Spent the night together.
(d) Stolen money from Mrs. Lembke.
2. What does Stavrogin believe in?
(a) The governing potential of new industries.
(b) The right of the aristocrats to rule.
(c) The equality of slaves.
(d) The value of ancient farming methods.
3. Who does Peter blame for Mary and Captain Lebyatkin's murder?
4. Who does Peter allow into the fête?
(a) Writers and artists.
(b) Lower-class people.
(c) Criminals and prostitutes.
(d) Radical agitators.
5. How has public opinion shifted on the eve of the fête?
(a) The agitators have succeeded in turning the crowds against the government.
(b) The people are now in favor of change.
(c) The workers are anxious to disrupt the fête.
(d) It is now against Mrs. Lembke.
6. Why are workers from the Spigulin factory massing in the street?
(a) They are demanding the release of political prisoners.
(b) They are enjoying their day off.
(c) They are petitioning for the governor to intervene in a payment dispute.
(d) They are organizing themselves for the new, post-revolutionary society.
7. Who alone knows the purpose of the meeting at Virginsky's house?
(a) Peter Verkhovensky.
(c) Mrs. Stavrogin.
8. What reason does the narrator have for visiting Lembke?
(a) He wants to testify against Peter Verkhovensky.
(b) He wants to arrange to get out of the country.
(c) He wants to prevent Stepan Verkhovensky from doing anything silly.
(d) He wants to know why he is being searched.
9. How long had Shatov's wife been gone before she returns?
(a) Three weeks.
(b) Three months.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three years.
10. What crime is Fedka implicated in?
11. When Stavrogin catches up with Peter, what does Peter suggest to him?
(a) That Shatov is plotting against him.
(b) That the flood in the mine was planned.
(c) That Lebyatkin plans to blackmail Stavrogin.
(d) That the police have been watching him.
12. Who chases after Lisa when she leaves Stavrogin's house?
13. What is the overall message of The Possessed?
(a) Russia is in the hands of loving protectors like Stepan Verkhovensky.
(b) Conspiracy against the government is always fruitless.
(c) Tyrannical monarchy will bring about its own downfall.
(d) Russia is possessed with demons.
14. Who takes the stage after Stepan Verkhovensky?
(a) A mad professor.
(c) Julia Lembke.
15. Why was it a mistake to charge a high price for the fête?
(a) The people who came wanted food.
(b) Expensive tickets excluded the writers.
(c) The people expected to be entertained.
(d) No one could afford to come.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which revolutionary dissociates himself from murder as a strategy?
2. Whom does Stavrogin defend from Peter?
3. What have Liputin and Fedka been doing at the Spigulin factory?
4. What kind of poem does Liputin read to the crowd?
5. What led to the release of the demons in Russia in the nineteenth century?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)