|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stepan ask of the police during the search?
(a) He asks for immunity if he testifies against Peter.
(b) He asks for a more thorough search.
(c) He demands the name of the officer in charge.
(d) He asks for money as an inducement to help them.
2. What does Virginsky say to the radicals after Shatov's wife gives birth?
(a) He tells them that Shatov is more committed to revolution now than ever before.
(b) He tells them that Shatov has renounced all his association with radical ideals.
(c) He tells them that they should put down their plans and celebrate with Shatov and his wife.
(d) He tells them that Shatov will never inform on them now.
3. What crime is Fedka implicated in?
4. Shatov is happy to see his wife in spite of what?
(a) Her disdain for him.
(b) Her poverty.
(c) Her illness.
(d) Her infidelity.
5. What effect does the birth of Shatov's child have on him?
(a) It fills him with dread for the world's sufferings.
(b) It fills him with forgiveness for his wife's infidelity.
(c) It renews his commitment to revolutionary ideals.
(d) It renews his faith in God.
6. Who does Peter leave Virginsky's house to meet?
(a) Kirilov and Stavrogin.
(b) Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) His father.
(d) Lisa Tushin.
7. What is the narrator's response to Stepan Verkhovensky's reaction to the search of Peter's house?
(a) He is determined to bring Peter to justice.
(b) He is worried.
(c) He is intimidated.
(d) He is baffled.
8. What is the real purpose of the gathering at Virginsky's house?
(a) A planning meeting for Mrs. Lembke's fête.
(b) A radical political meeting.
(c) A literary club meeting.
(d) Planning to overthrow the government.
9. Who is attacked after the murder of Shatov?
10. What resonance does the story of the swine from Luke have with the novel?
(a) Dostoevsky appears to believe that educated people are possessed by demons.
(b) Dostoevsky appears to believe that Russia is possessed by demons.
(c) Dostoevsky appears to believe that lovers are possessed by demons.
(d) Dostoevsky appears to believe that revolutionaries are possessed by demons.
11. Why do the townspeople think the Lebyatkins were killed?
(a) To limit the radicals' liabilities.
(b) To avenge their persecution of the aristocrats.
(c) To punish them for blackmailing the radical group.
(d) To free Stavrogin to have his affair with Lisa Tushin.
12. Who kills Shatov?
13. How does the audience respond to Karminazov's reading?
(a) They begin to riot.
(b) They sing Karminazov's praises.
(c) They are bored.
(d) They weep at the beauty of it.
14. Who shows up to talk with Shatov after Shatov's wife returns?
15. Who does Peter blame for Mary and Captain Lebyatkin's murder?
Short Answer Questions
1. What have Lisa and Stavrogin done as Chapter 3 of Part 3 begins?
2. What does Blum say about the search at Peter Verkhovensky's?
3. Who does Peter allow into the fête?
4. What have Liputin and Fedka been doing at the Spigulin factory?
5. When Stavrogin catches up with Peter, what does Peter suggest to him?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)