|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stepan Verkhovensky have to work up his courage to do?
(a) Publish his radical tract.
(b) Visit Lembke to find out why he is being searched.
(c) Ask Mrs. Stavrogin to marry him.
(d) Flee to Germany.
2. Who do the townspeople believe killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
3. When Stavrogin catches up with Peter, what does Peter suggest to him?
(a) That Shatov is plotting against him.
(b) That the flood in the mine was planned.
(c) That Lebyatkin plans to blackmail Stavrogin.
(d) That the police have been watching him.
4. What does Stavrogin believe in?
(a) The value of ancient farming methods.
(b) The equality of slaves.
(c) The governing potential of new industries.
(d) The right of the aristocrats to rule.
5. Whom does Stavrogin defend from Peter?
(a) Captain Leybatkin.
6. Who takes the stage after Stepan Verkhovensky?
(c) A mad professor.
(d) Julia Lembke.
7. What kind of speech does Stepan Verkhovensky give?
(a) An attack on materialism.
(b) A justification of revolutionary acts.
(c) A jeremiad against the people themselves.
(d) A defense of high culture.
8. How many people are in Peter Verkhovensky's secret group of radicals?
9. What crime is Fedka implicated in?
10. What does Lisa Tushin challenge Stavrogin to do?
(a) Murder Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) Get Lebyatkin to stop writing her letters.
(c) Murder his mother.
(d) Divorce Mary Lebyatkin.
11. Where do Lisa and the man she meets rush off to after they meet?
(a) They go to Lembke's.
(b) They go to Shatov's.
(c) They go to see the people who were murdered.
(d) They go to Mrs. Stavrogin's.
12. Why is Peter intent on killing Shatov?
(a) Out of love for Shatov's wife.
(b) Because Shatov knows too much about his plans.
(c) From an insult years ago.
(d) Out of envy for Stepan's regard for Shatov.
13. For whom are the swine a metaphor in the story of Luke?
(a) Stavrogin and voluptuaries like him.
(b) Mrs. Lembke and her young radicals.
(c) Peter and his revolutionaries.
(d) Captain and Mary Lebyatkin.
14. What is the overall message of The Possessed?
(a) Russia is possessed with demons.
(b) Conspiracy against the government is always fruitless.
(c) Russia is in the hands of loving protectors like Stepan Verkhovensky.
(d) Tyrannical monarchy will bring about its own downfall.
15. What is Peter Verkhovensky concerned about when he rushes out of Virginsky's house?
(a) An arrest warrant that has been issued for him.
(b) A raid that is planned for his house.
(c) Getting his manuscript to the press in time for printing.
(d) A letter that might expose the group.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Virginsky say to the radicals after Shatov's wife gives birth?
2. Russia's salvation seems to reside where, in Dostoevsky's opinion?
3. Who is attacked after the murder of Shatov?
4. What does Blum say about the search at Peter Verkhovensky's?
5. What have Liputin and Fedka been doing at the Spigulin factory?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)