|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect does the birth of Shatov's child have on him?
(a) It fills him with dread for the world's sufferings.
(b) It renews his faith in God.
(c) It renews his commitment to revolutionary ideals.
(d) It fills him with forgiveness for his wife's infidelity.
2. Where does Stepan Verkhovensky set off for after the fête?
(a) He is walking across Russia.
(b) He is taking the train to St. Petersburg.
(c) He is taking a coach back to Mrs. Stavrogin's.
(d) He is taking the train to Moscow.
3. Who does Peter blame for Mary and Captain Lebyatkin's murder?
4. What does Stepan Verkhovensky have to work up his courage to do?
(a) Flee to Germany.
(b) Visit Lembke to find out why he is being searched.
(c) Publish his radical tract.
(d) Ask Mrs. Stavrogin to marry him.
5. What kind of speech does Stepan Verkhovensky give?
(a) A defense of high culture.
(b) A jeremiad against the people themselves.
(c) A justification of revolutionary acts.
(d) An attack on materialism.
6. When Stavrogin catches up with Peter, what does Peter suggest to him?
(a) That Shatov is plotting against him.
(b) That the flood in the mine was planned.
(c) That the police have been watching him.
(d) That Lebyatkin plans to blackmail Stavrogin.
7. What crime is Fedka implicated in?
8. What does Lisa overhear of Stavrogin's conversation with Peter?
(a) She hears that Fedka killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) She hears that Stavrogin knows who killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) She hears that Stavrogin killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) She hears taht Peter killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
9. Whom does Lisa find after she leaves Stavrogin's?
10. Who shows up to talk with Shatov after Shatov's wife returns?
11. How many people are in Peter Verkhovensky's secret group of radicals?
12. What is the narrator's response to Stepan Verkhovensky's reaction to the search of Peter's house?
(a) He is determined to bring Peter to justice.
(b) He is worried.
(c) He is baffled.
(d) He is intimidated.
13. Who carries out the raid on Peter's house?
(b) Mr. Blum.
(c) Captain Lebyatkin.
14. How does the audience respond to Karminazov's reading?
(a) They sing Karminazov's praises.
(b) They begin to riot.
(c) They are bored.
(d) They weep at the beauty of it.
15. Who kills Shatov?
Short Answer Questions
1. What cover do the fifteen people use for gathering at Virginsky's house?
2. Why does Lisa want to leave Stavrogin at the beginning of the Part 3, Chapter 3?
3. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to the search of Peter's house?
4. Whom does Stavrogin defend from Peter?
5. Why do the townspeople think the Lebyatkins were killed?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)