|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people are in Peter Verkhovensky's secret group of radicals?
2. When Stavrogin catches up with Peter, what does Peter suggest to him?
(a) That Shatov is plotting against him.
(b) That the police have been watching him.
(c) That Lebyatkin plans to blackmail Stavrogin.
(d) That the flood in the mine was planned.
3. What does Blum say about the search at Peter Verkhovensky's?
(a) Virginsky had testified that Peter was the leader of the radical group.
(b) It was a mistake.
(c) Shatov had tipped the police off.
(d) The police found what they were looking for.
4. Which one of these characters is NOT in Peter's secret group?
5. What effect does the birth of Shatov's child have on him?
(a) It renews his faith in God.
(b) It renews his commitment to revolutionary ideals.
(c) It fills him with dread for the world's sufferings.
(d) It fills him with forgiveness for his wife's infidelity.
6. What do the police take from Peter Verkhovensky's house?
(c) Papers and books.
(d) Radical anarchists.
7. What does Stepan Verkhovensky find in his wanderings?
(a) A good woman's love.
(c) Alcoholism and despair.
(d) Honest peasants.
8. What does Stavrogin want Fedka to do?
(a) Kill Shatov.
(b) Kill Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) Start a riot.
(d) Return to prison.
9. What crime is Fedka implicated in?
10. Who does Peter blame for Mary and Captain Lebyatkin's murder?
11. Why do the townspeople think the Lebyatkins were killed?
(a) To avenge their persecution of the aristocrats.
(b) To punish them for blackmailing the radical group.
(c) To limit the radicals' liabilities.
(d) To free Stavrogin to have his affair with Lisa Tushin.
12. What does Shatov have to do in order to leave the group of radicals peacefully?
(a) Reveal the hiding place of the printing press.
(b) Leave town and leave his property to the radicals.
(c) Swear loyalty to the radicals' ideals.
(d) Renounce his association with them publicly.
13. Who do the townspeople believe killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin?
14. Who does Peter allow into the fête?
(a) Radical agitators.
(b) Writers and artists.
(c) Lower-class people.
(d) Criminals and prostitutes.
15. What does Stavrogin look for and not find in the final chapters?
(a) Just punishment.
(c) His mother's forgiveness.
(d) A good woman's love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lisa overhear of Stavrogin's conversation with Peter?
2. How do the revolutionaries dispose of Shatov's body?
3. What does Shatov ask Kirilov for after he discovers that his wife is pregnant?
4. Where does Stepan Verkhovensky set off for after the fête?
5. Why was it a mistake to charge a high price for the fête?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)