|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Shatov ask Kirilov for after he discovers that his wife is pregnant?
(a) He asks Kirilov to raise the child.
(b) Money for a midwife.
(c) Help leaving town.
(d) Money for a divorce.
2. Who alone knows the purpose of the meeting at Virginsky's house?
(a) Peter Verkhovensky.
(b) Mrs. Stavrogin.
3. Why do the townspeople think the Lebyatkins were killed?
(a) To avenge their persecution of the aristocrats.
(b) To free Stavrogin to have his affair with Lisa Tushin.
(c) To limit the radicals' liabilities.
(d) To punish them for blackmailing the radical group.
4. Why was it a mistake to charge a high price for the fête?
(a) No one could afford to come.
(b) The people who came wanted food.
(c) Expensive tickets excluded the writers.
(d) The people expected to be entertained.
5. Where does Stepan Verkhovensky set off for after the fête?
(a) He is taking a coach back to Mrs. Stavrogin's.
(b) He is taking the train to Moscow.
(c) He is taking the train to St. Petersburg.
(d) He is walking across Russia.
6. Who does Peter leave Virginsky's house to meet?
(a) His father.
(b) Kirilov and Stavrogin.
(c) Lisa Tushin.
(d) Captain Lebyatkin.
7. What is Peter Verkhovensky concerned about when he rushes out of Virginsky's house?
(a) A raid that is planned for his house.
(b) A letter that might expose the group.
(c) Getting his manuscript to the press in time for printing.
(d) An arrest warrant that has been issued for him.
8. What have Liputin and Fedka been doing at the Spigulin factory?
(a) Fomenting discontent.
(b) Streamlining the work flow.
(c) Managing the workers.
9. Shatov is happy to see his wife in spite of what?
(a) Her disdain for him.
(b) Her infidelity.
(c) Her illness.
(d) Her poverty.
10. What does Stepan Verkhovensky find in his wanderings?
(a) Alcoholism and despair.
(b) Honest peasants.
(c) A good woman's love.
11. Who takes the stage after Stepan Verkhovensky?
(b) A mad professor.
(d) Julia Lembke.
12. What have Lisa and Stavrogin done as Chapter 3 of Part 3 begins?
(a) Run away to Moscow.
(b) Stolen money from Mrs. Lembke.
(c) Spent the night together.
(d) Burned the town.
13. Who chases after Lisa when she leaves Stavrogin's house?
14. How many people are in Peter Verkhovensky's secret group of radicals?
15. What does Blum say about the search at Peter Verkhovensky's?
(a) It was a mistake.
(b) The police found what they were looking for.
(c) Shatov had tipped the police off.
(d) Virginsky had testified that Peter was the leader of the radical group.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of these characters is NOT in Peter's secret group?
2. Whom does Stavrogin defend from Peter?
3. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to the search of Peter's house?
4. When Stavrogin catches up with Peter, what does Peter suggest to him?
5. What does Stavrogin believe in?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)