|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which revolutionary dissociates himself from murder as a strategy?
(b) Peter Verkhovensky.
2. What is the real purpose of the gathering at Virginsky's house?
(a) A radical political meeting.
(b) Planning to overthrow the government.
(c) A literary club meeting.
(d) A planning meeting for Mrs. Lembke's fête.
3. Where does Stepan Verkhovensky wander into in the beginning of Chapter 7 of Part 3?
(a) A river.
(b) The 'real Russia.'
(c) The Winter Palace in Moscow.
(d) An anarchists' camp.
4. Who does Peter blame for Mary and Captain Lebyatkin's murder?
5. What does Lisa overhear of Stavrogin's conversation with Peter?
(a) She hears taht Peter killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) She hears that Fedka killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) She hears that Stavrogin knows who killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) She hears that Stavrogin killed Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
6. Where do Lisa and the man she meets rush off to after they meet?
(a) They go to Mrs. Stavrogin's.
(b) They go to Lembke's.
(c) They go to Shatov's.
(d) They go to see the people who were murdered.
7. What is the overall message of The Possessed?
(a) Tyrannical monarchy will bring about its own downfall.
(b) Russia is in the hands of loving protectors like Stepan Verkhovensky.
(c) Conspiracy against the government is always fruitless.
(d) Russia is possessed with demons.
8. How long had Shatov's wife been gone before she returns?
(a) Three days.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three months.
(d) Three weeks.
9. Who does Peter leave Virginsky's house to meet?
(a) Lisa Tushin.
(b) Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) His father.
(d) Kirilov and Stavrogin.
10. What happens to the swine in the story from Luke?
(a) They are disemboweled and scattered around the town after Jesus fills them with devils.
(b) They drown after Jesus fills them with devils.
(c) They run wild and ruin the town after Jesus fills them with devils.
(d) They are killed and eaten after Jesus fills them with devils.
11. What do the police take from Peter Verkhovensky's house?
(b) Radical anarchists.
(c) Papers and books.
12. Who takes the stage after Stepan Verkhovensky?
(a) A mad professor.
(d) Julia Lembke.
13. What does Stavrogin want Fedka to do?
(a) Start a riot.
(b) Return to prison.
(c) Kill Shatov.
(d) Kill Mary and Captain Lebyatkin.
14. What does Virginsky say to the radicals after Shatov's wife gives birth?
(a) He tells them that Shatov has renounced all his association with radical ideals.
(b) He tells them that Shatov will never inform on them now.
(c) He tells them that Shatov is more committed to revolution now than ever before.
(d) He tells them that they should put down their plans and celebrate with Shatov and his wife.
15. What does Blum say about the search at Peter Verkhovensky's?
(a) It was a mistake.
(b) Virginsky had testified that Peter was the leader of the radical group.
(c) Shatov had tipped the police off.
(d) The police found what they were looking for.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the narrator's response to Stepan Verkhovensky's reaction to the search of Peter's house?
2. How do the revolutionaries dispose of Shatov's body?
3. How does the audience respond to Karminazov's reading?
4. Why does Lisa want to leave Stavrogin at the beginning of the Part 3, Chapter 3?
5. What is Peter Verkhovensky concerned about when he rushes out of Virginsky's house?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)