|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had Shatov's wife been gone before she returns?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three weeks.
(c) Three days.
(d) Three years.
2. What does Shatov have to do in order to leave the group of radicals peacefully?
(a) Leave town and leave his property to the radicals.
(b) Swear loyalty to the radicals' ideals.
(c) Renounce his association with them publicly.
(d) Reveal the hiding place of the printing press.
3. What had some poor people done to prepare for the fête?
(a) Stolen money from Lembke.
(b) Pawned their belongings to buy gowns.
(c) Moved away to make room for Lembke's guests.
(d) Broken into the banquet hall.
4. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to the search of Peter's house?
(a) He runs away.
(b) He resists the search with force.
(c) He hides in a closet.
(d) He helps the police.
5. What does Dostoevsky seem to believe is the problem with Russia?
(a) It is both attracted to and repulsed by industrial modernism.
(b) It is held back by its feudal past.
(c) It is poisoned by its peasant spirituality.
(d) It is ripe for a revolution but incapable of emerging from one.
6. Who kills Kirilov?
(c) He kills himself.
7. What effect does the birth of Shatov's child have on him?
(a) It renews his faith in God.
(b) It renews his commitment to revolutionary ideals.
(c) It fills him with forgiveness for his wife's infidelity.
(d) It fills him with dread for the world's sufferings.
8. Who carries out the raid on Peter's house?
(a) Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) Mr. Blum.
9. Why is Peter intent on killing Shatov?
(a) From an insult years ago.
(b) Out of envy for Stepan's regard for Shatov.
(c) Out of love for Shatov's wife.
(d) Because Shatov knows too much about his plans.
10. Whom does Lisa find after she leaves Stavrogin's?
11. Why are workers from the Spigulin factory massing in the street?
(a) They are demanding the release of political prisoners.
(b) They are organizing themselves for the new, post-revolutionary society.
(c) They are petitioning for the governor to intervene in a payment dispute.
(d) They are enjoying their day off.
12. Where does Stepan Verkhovensky wander into in the beginning of Chapter 7 of Part 3?
(a) A river.
(b) The 'real Russia.'
(c) An anarchists' camp.
(d) The Winter Palace in Moscow.
13. What reason does the narrator have for visiting Lembke?
(a) He wants to arrange to get out of the country.
(b) He wants to testify against Peter Verkhovensky.
(c) He wants to prevent Stepan Verkhovensky from doing anything silly.
(d) He wants to know why he is being searched.
14. Why is The Possessed an inaccurate transposition of the story of the swine in Luke?
(a) The devils that haunt Russia are not as easy to cast out as Peter and his radicals.
(b) The devils are more destructive in the story, and also more difficult to control.
(c) Russia's tumultuous revolution dwarfs the revolutionary action of the novel.
(d) The devils reside in the human heart, and can never be cast out completely.
15. The first chapter of Part 3 is set the day after what?
(a) The factory riot.
(b) Peter Verkhvensky's house being searched.
(c) Shatov's wife returns.
(d) The meeting at Virginsky's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stavrogin believe in?
2. What does Stavrogin look for and not find in the final chapters?
3. Who does the chief of police begin to arrest?
4. What kind of speech does Stepan Verkhovensky give?
5. How does the audience respond to Karminazov's reading?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)