|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long had Shatov's wife been gone before she returns?
(a) Three months.
(b) Three years.
(c) Three weeks.
(d) Three days.
2. What have Lisa and Stavrogin done as Chapter 3 of Part 3 begins?
(a) Run away to Moscow.
(b) Spent the night together.
(c) Burned the town.
(d) Stolen money from Mrs. Lembke.
3. What resonance does the story of the swine from Luke have with the novel?
(a) Dostoevsky appears to believe that educated people are possessed by demons.
(b) Dostoevsky appears to believe that Russia is possessed by demons.
(c) Dostoevsky appears to believe that revolutionaries are possessed by demons.
(d) Dostoevsky appears to believe that lovers are possessed by demons.
4. What does Stepan ask of the police during the search?
(a) He asks for money as an inducement to help them.
(b) He asks for a more thorough search.
(c) He asks for immunity if he testifies against Peter.
(d) He demands the name of the officer in charge.
5. What does Virginsky say to the radicals after Shatov's wife gives birth?
(a) He tells them that Shatov is more committed to revolution now than ever before.
(b) He tells them that they should put down their plans and celebrate with Shatov and his wife.
(c) He tells them that Shatov has renounced all his association with radical ideals.
(d) He tells them that Shatov will never inform on them now.
6. Shatov is happy to see his wife in spite of what?
(a) Her disdain for him.
(b) Her infidelity.
(c) Her poverty.
(d) Her illness.
7. What does Blum say about the search at Peter Verkhovensky's?
(a) The police found what they were looking for.
(b) Virginsky had testified that Peter was the leader of the radical group.
(c) Shatov had tipped the police off.
(d) It was a mistake.
8. Who does Peter allow into the fête?
(a) Criminals and prostitutes.
(b) Radical agitators.
(c) Writers and artists.
(d) Lower-class people.
9. Why does Lisa want to leave Stavrogin at the beginning of the Part 3, Chapter 3?
(a) She wanted to report his murder to the police.
(b) They have begun to quarrel.
(c) Stavrogin told her he didn't love her.
(d) Stavrogin confessed to killing Mary.
10. Who carries out the raid on Peter's house?
(a) Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) Mr. Blum.
11. Who does Peter blame for Mary and Captain Lebyatkin's murder?
12. What is the real purpose of the gathering at Virginsky's house?
(a) A literary club meeting.
(b) A planning meeting for Mrs. Lembke's fête.
(c) Planning to overthrow the government.
(d) A radical political meeting.
13. Where does Stepan Verkhovensky wander into in the beginning of Chapter 7 of Part 3?
(a) The 'real Russia.'
(b) An anarchists' camp.
(c) The Winter Palace in Moscow.
(d) A river.
14. Where do Lisa and the man she meets rush off to after they meet?
(a) They go to see the people who were murdered.
(b) They go to Shatov's.
(c) They go to Lembke's.
(d) They go to Mrs. Stavrogin's.
15. Who is on the stage when Karminazov goes to speak?
(a) Stepan Verkhovensky.
(b) Captain Lebyatkin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of these characters is NOT in Peter's secret group?
2. What happens to the swine in the story from Luke?
3. Who takes the stage after Stepan Verkhovensky?
4. What does Stavrogin look for and not find in the final chapters?
5. Whom does Lisa find after she leaves Stavrogin's?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)