|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What belief does Kirilov profess to Stavrogin?
(a) He believes that the students protestors are going to overthrow the government.
(b) He believes that man is eternally confounded by a split in his nature.
(c) He believes that a man-god will preach happiness.
(d) He believes that man can only be known by his actions, not by his spirit.
2. What is Kirilov's involvement in Stavrogin's plan?
(a) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to plant incriminating evidence.
(b) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to be his second.
(c) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to distract Gaganov.
(d) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to convey messages to Gaganov's daughter.
3. How many shots does each duelist get to take?
4. What is Peter predicting in the time after the confrontation at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) That he will bomb a prominent government location.
(b) That Nicholas will be killed.
(c) That he will incite riots and protests.
(d) That Nicholas will kill Shatov.
5. How does Mrs. Lembke participate in Peter's plans?
(a) She gives him money, out of a sentimental desire to help the poor.
(b) She is swindled by Peter out of naivete.
(c) She allows them to proceed unwittingly, through her lack of sense.
(d) She helps him deliberately, out of resentment of the rich.
6. Which topic is on the schedule of events for the fête?
(a) Modern agricultural techniques.
(b) Spirituality in modern life.
(c) The Sistine Madonna.
(d) Renaissance cathedrals.
7. How does Chapter 5 begin?
(a) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Lisa, Miss Lebyatkin and Verkhovensky, Shatov, and the narrator.
(b) With a declaration of love between Mrs. Stavrogin and Lebyatkin.
(c) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Nicholas Stavrogin and Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Virginsky and Dasha.
8. Why does Stavrogin plan to duel Gaganov?
(a) Gaganov's father had been an enemy of Stavrogin's father's.
(b) Gaganov had threatened to evict Mrs. Stavrogin from her estate.
(c) Gaganov had threatened to take Mary Lebyatkin away from Stavrogin.
(d) Gaganov had been insulting Stavrogin.
9. Why does Nicholas treat Miss Lebyatkin so well?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin says it was because her son was rebellious.
(b) Captain Lebyatkin says it was because Nicholas is sentimental and stupid.
(c) Peter says it was because of the 'demon of irony' in him.
(d) Nicholas says it was because he was in love.
10. What was Captain Lebyatkin's relationship with Nicholas Stavrogin in Moscow?
(a) They were in the military together.
(b) Nicholas owed Lebyatkin money from gambling.
(c) It is not clear what their relationship was.
(d) Leybatkin introduced Nicholas to Dasha.
11. How does Peter plan to instigate his father?
(a) He tries to ruin Stavrogin's reputation.
(b) He tries to seduce Dasha himself.
(c) He tells Mrs. Stavrogin lies about his father.
(d) He circulates rumors about Dasha.
12. What is Peter planning throughout Part II of The Possessed?
(a) To leave for Moscow.
(b) An uprising.
(c) Marry Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) To kill Shatov and Liputin.
13. What are Verkhovensky's political views?
(a) He is rebellious and frequently in trouble with the law.
(b) He is afraid of the government, but likes to be seen as liberal.
(c) He is an informant working with the government to clamp down on dissenters.
(d) He does not let politics interfere with his art.
14. What does Mrs. Stavrogin ask her son when he arrives?
(a) Whether he has any new gambling debts.
(b) Whether he has fought a duel.
(c) Whether he is leaving her all alone.
(d) Whether he is married to Mary Lebyatkin.
15. How does Stavrogin respond to Kirilov's belief?
(a) He is convinced and converted to Kirilov's views.
(b) He is ironic and disbelieving.
(c) He debates Kirilov at length, because he things his belief is missing key points.
(d) He condescends to Kirilov, and treats him like a child.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition does Mrs. Lembke impose on people who want to come to her party?
2. How many paces separate the two duelists?
3. Who throws Stepan Verkhovensky out of the conversation?
4. Mrs. Lembke bestows her favors in spite of what?
5. Where does Verkhovensky hear that the rumor he heard about Dasha is true?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)