|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Nicholas' relationship with Dasha, according to Liputin?
(a) Nicholas seduced her in Moscow.
(b) Nicholas had fought a duel over her.
(c) Nicholas owed her brother money.
(d) Nicholas had redeemed her from prison.
2. What does Peter ask his father in front of the group?
(a) Whether he really intends to get Mrs. Stavrogin's money.
(b) Whether he wants him to save his father from Dasha.
(c) Whether Dasha was really seduced in Switzerland.
(d) Whether his father taught Nicholas Stavrogin how to treat women
3. Mrs. Lembke bestows her favors in spite of what?
(a) Her ignorance of all diplomatic matters.
(b) The degeneration of the youths' behavior.
(c) The insults she receives from the local elite.
(d) The jokes the local writers make at her expense.
4. Who has been in hiding for the week after the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's?
(a) Captain Lebyatkin and his sister.
(b) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(d) Shatov and Nicholas Stavrogin.
5. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's relationship with Mrs. Stavrogin?
(a) They are married.
(b) They are lovers.
(c) He lives with her.
(d) They are enemies.
6. What are Mrs. Lembke's social aspirations?
(a) She wants to pass for an ordinary Russian.
(b) She wants to know Captain and Mary Lebyatkin.
(c) She wants to be accepted in the highest rank of society.
(d) She wants to be accepted into Mrs. Stavrogin's society.
7. Whom does Mrs. Stavrogin invite into the conversation that starts Chapter 5?
(a) Nicholas and Dasha.
(b) Dasha and the Drozdovs.
(d) Lisa Tushin.
8. Who is Virginsky?
(a) A professor at the university.
(b) A local official.
(c) A radical agitator.
(d) A student of Verkhovensky's.
9. What is Stepan Verkhovensky agitated about at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) His son's debts.
(b) Marriage to Dasha.
(c) His father's return.
(d) His wife's pregnancy.
10. What is Stepan and Peter Verkhovensky's relationship like?
(a) They have become mortal enemies.
(b) They have been closer ever since Stepah fled to the provinces.
(c) They have been in touch as Peter traveled.
(d) They have been estranged.
11. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
(a) Stavrogin's father.
(b) Shatov's father.
(c) Verkhovensky's son.
(d) Verkhovensky's father.
12. What is Captain Lebyatkin's reputation?
(a) He is said to gamble and corrupt young women.
(b) He is said to be honest and upstanding.
(c) He is said to have killed a man.
(d) He is said to drink and beat his sister.
13. Who is Nicholas Stavrogin's tutor?
14. In what way do Virginsky and Shatov resemble one another?
(a) They are both liberals.
(b) They are both conseratives.
(c) They are both artists.
(d) They are both young.
15. What happens on Stavrogin's third shot?
(a) Stavrogin shoots into the ground at his feet.
(b) Stavrogin kills Gaganov.
(c) Stavrogin shoots closer to Gaganov, but still shoots in the air.
(d) Stavrogin hits Gaganov's second by mistake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's employment?
2. Why does Stavrogin plan to duel Gaganov?
3. What causes Mrs. Stavrogin to separate with Stepan Verkhovensky?
4. What weapons do Stavrogin and Gaganov use for the duel?
5. What does Stepan think about marriage?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)