|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Nicholas' first impression of Mary Lebyatkin?
(a) He thought she was an angel.
(b) He thought she was corrupt but beautiful.
(c) He took no notice of her.
(d) He fell in love with her.
2. Mrs. Lembke bestows her favors in spite of what?
(a) Her ignorance of all diplomatic matters.
(b) The jokes the local writers make at her expense.
(c) The insults she receives from the local elite.
(d) The degeneration of the youths' behavior.
3. How does Nicholas Stavrogin kill a man?
(a) In self defense, when he was being robbed.
(b) In a duel.
(c) Accidentally, when his horse trampled the man.
(d) He poisoned the man who had killed his father.
4. Where did Nicholas meet Captain Lebyatkin?
(c) St. Petersburg.
5. What event results in an investigation that discovers radical literature?
(a) The publication of a radical poem.
(b) A cholera outbreak at a factory.
(c) A flood in a mine.
(d) An attack on a general's wife.
6. How does Nicholas Stavrogin react to his demotion?
(a) His gambling gets even worse.
(b) He keeps fighting duels.
(c) He quits the army.
(d) He works his way back to his rank.
7. How has Shatov prepared to defend himself against Stavrogin?
(a) He prayed.
(b) He bought a revolver.
(c) He hid himself.
(d) He hired bodyguards.
8. What has Peter Verkhovensky been doing in the week since the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) Defending Nicholas Stavrogin's reputation.
(b) Plotting to kill Stavrogin.
(c) Defending Miss Lebyatkin's reputation.
(d) Spreading rumors about what took place there.
9. Who has been in hiding for the week after the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's?
(a) Shatov and Nicholas Stavrogin.
(c) Captain Lebyatkin and his sister.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
10. What outrageous act does a local lieutenant commit?
(a) He bites his general's ear.
(b) He refuses to go to the Crimea with his regiment.
(c) He kills himself and his fellow officers.
(d) He seduces a general's wife.
11. Who will be speaking at Mrs. Lembke's fête?
(b) Peter Verhovensky.
(c) Karmazinov and Stepan Verkhovensky.
12. How does Chapter 5 begin?
(a) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Lisa, Miss Lebyatkin and Verkhovensky, Shatov, and the narrator.
(b) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Virginsky and Dasha.
(c) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Nicholas Stavrogin and Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) With a declaration of love between Mrs. Stavrogin and Lebyatkin.
13. In whose house is Peter spreading rumors in the days before the fête?
(a) Captain Lebyatkin's.
(c) Mrs. Stavrogin's.
14. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's employment?
(a) He is a local bureaucrat.
(b) He tutors Mrs. Stavrogin's son.
(c) He is an elected official.
(d) He is a social researcher.
15. What does Mrs. Stavrogin ask her son when he arrives?
(a) Whether he has fought a duel.
(b) Whether he is married to Mary Lebyatkin.
(c) Whether he is leaving her all alone.
(d) Whether he has any new gambling debts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Kirilov?
2. What problem might Stavrogin have with his plan?
3. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's relationship with Mrs. Stavrogin?
4. Why does Stavrogin plan to duel Gaganov?
5. What is Verkhovensky's status in Moscow and St. Petersburg society?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)