|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What outrageous act does a local lieutenant commit?
(a) He kills himself and his fellow officers.
(b) He bites his general's ear.
(c) He seduces a general's wife.
(d) He refuses to go to the Crimea with his regiment.
2. What does Stavrogin tell Peter he is planning to do?
(a) Divorce Mary Lebyatkin.
(b) Leave for Paris.
(c) Propose to Lisa Tushin.
(d) Start an uprising.
3. How has Shatov prepared to defend himself against Stavrogin?
(a) He hid himself.
(b) He bought a revolver.
(c) He hired bodyguards.
(d) He prayed.
4. How does Stavrogin respond to Kirilov's belief?
(a) He is ironic and disbelieving.
(b) He is convinced and converted to Kirilov's views.
(c) He debates Kirilov at length, because he things his belief is missing key points.
(d) He condescends to Kirilov, and treats him like a child.
5. Who throws Stepan Verkhovensky out of the conversation?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(b) Nicholas Stavrogin.
(c) Peter Verkhovensky.
6. Where is The Possessed set?
(a) In Moscow.
(b) In the Russian provinces.
(c) In Novgorod.
(d) In St. Petersburg.
7. What event results in an investigation that discovers radical literature?
(a) A cholera outbreak at a factory.
(b) The publication of a radical poem.
(c) An attack on a general's wife.
(d) A flood in a mine.
8. What venture does Lisa approach Shatov for help with?
(a) Publishing a yearly compendium of articles.
(b) Finding a job for her son.
(c) Finding a husband for her and a father for her girls.
(d) Getting herself out of debt so she can buy a cottage.
9. What was Nicholas' first impression of Mary Lebyatkin?
(a) He fell in love with her.
(b) He thought she was an angel.
(c) He took no notice of her.
(d) He thought she was corrupt but beautiful.
10. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) She wants to know who she can borrow money from.
(b) She wants to know when her son is coming back home.
(c) She wants to know whether her son's name has been sullied.
(d) She wants to know what Shatov knows about Lebyatkin.
11. Where did Nicholas meet Captain Lebyatkin?
(d) St. Petersburg.
12. How does Nicholas Stavrogin kill a man?
(a) He poisoned the man who had killed his father.
(b) In a duel.
(c) In self defense, when he was being robbed.
(d) Accidentally, when his horse trampled the man.
13. What causes Mrs. Stavrogin to separate with Stepan Verkhovensky?
(a) Stepan's radical views.
(b) Stepan's unconscionable behavior.
(c) Peter's antics about Dasha.
(d) Peter's insults.
14. Mrs. Lembke bestows her favors in spite of what?
(a) The degeneration of the youths' behavior.
(b) The insults she receives from the local elite.
(c) Her ignorance of all diplomatic matters.
(d) The jokes the local writers make at her expense.
15. What is Verkhovensky's status in Moscow and St. Petersburg society?
(a) He is not respected.
(b) He is regaining his reputation after a scandal.
(c) He is ambitious, but not yet recognized.
(d) He is highly respected.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Shatov's political views?
2. What is Stepan and Peter Verkhovensky's relationship like?
3. Whom does Mrs. Stavrogin invite into the conversation that starts Chapter 5?
4. Why does Nicholas treat Miss Lebyatkin so well?
5. Why does Lisa approach Shatov?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)