|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Captain Lebyatkin's reputation?
(a) He is said to have killed a man.
(b) He is said to be honest and upstanding.
(c) He is said to drink and beat his sister.
(d) He is said to gamble and corrupt young women.
2. What are Mrs. Lembke's social aspirations?
(a) She wants to be accepted in the highest rank of society.
(b) She wants to be accepted into Mrs. Stavrogin's society.
(c) She wants to pass for an ordinary Russian.
(d) She wants to know Captain and Mary Lebyatkin.
3. Who is Lisa Tushin?
(a) A schoolmistress in St. Petersburg.
(b) A neighbor of Mrs. Stavrogin's.
(c) A seamstress.
(d) A woman who had a relationship with Nicholas.
4. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
(a) Stepan Verkhovensky and Lisa Tushin.
(b) Peter Verkhovensky and Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) Mary Lebyatkin and Mrs. Drozdov.
(d) Shatov and Liputin.
5. What is Kirilov's involvement in Stavrogin's plan?
(a) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to distract Gaganov.
(b) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to convey messages to Gaganov's daughter.
(c) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to be his second.
(d) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to plant incriminating evidence.
6. Why does Lisa approach Shatov?
(a) She wants him to join a business venture.
(b) She wants him to find her a husband.
(c) She wants him to write a letter to her son.
(d) She wants him to lend her money.
7. What injury is inflicted during the duel?
(a) Gaganov seriously wounds Stavrogin.
(b) No injuries are inflicted.
(c) Stavrogin kills Gaganov.
(d) Stavrogin is wounded on the finger.
8. Where is The Possessed set?
(a) In Moscow.
(b) In St. Petersburg.
(c) In Novgorod.
(d) In the Russian provinces.
9. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(c) Mary Lebyatkin.
10. What problem might Stavrogin have with his plan?
(a) He has lost his reputation.
(b) He doesn't have any money.
(c) Lisa is already married to Mr. Drozdov.
(d) Divorce is still illegal.
11. What does Kirilov say to Gaganov the morning before the duel?
(a) He repeats Stavrogin's apology.
(b) He insults Gaganov.
(c) He threatens to alert the authorities about the duel.
(d) He offers Gaganov money to call off the duel.
12. How does Nicholas Stavrogin react to his demotion?
(a) He quits the army.
(b) His gambling gets even worse.
(c) He keeps fighting duels.
(d) He works his way back to his rank.
13. Who acts as Gaganov's second in the duel?
(a) Mr. Drozdov.
(b) Mr. Lemke.
14. What is Stepan and Peter Verkhovensky's relationship like?
(a) They have become mortal enemies.
(b) They have been closer ever since Stepah fled to the provinces.
(c) They have been estranged.
(d) They have been in touch as Peter traveled.
15. What is Julia Lembke's hope for the children?
(a) She hopes to rehabilitate them.
(b) She hopes they are punished for their violence.
(c) She hopes they succeed in their anarchistic plans.
(d) She hopes they are rewarded for their devotion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Gaganov been insulting Stavrogin?
2. Where were Captain Lebyatin and his sister living when Nicholas met them?
3. What is Stepan Verkhovensky agitated about at the beginning of Chapter 3?
4. What is Stepan's impression of the confrontation that took place at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
5. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)