|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What condition does Mrs. Lembke impose on people who want to come to her party?
(a) Guests must volunteer to subvert the rich.
(b) Guests must read a radical essay by Peter Verkhovensky.
(c) Guests must pledge loyalty to the Czar.
(d) Guests must purchase a subscription to her new literary magazine.
2. What are Shatov's political views?
(a) He is extremely liberal.
(b) He is not invested in politics.
(c) He is a staunch conservative.
(d) He is a radical agitator.
3. What does Lebyatkin ask Lisa in a letter?
(a) He asks her for money.
(b) He asks her to marry him.
(c) He asks her to work for him in his house.
(d) He asks her to send the money she owes him.
4. What is Julia Lembke's hope for the children?
(a) She hopes they are punished for their violence.
(b) She hopes they succeed in their anarchistic plans.
(c) She hopes to rehabilitate them.
(d) She hopes they are rewarded for their devotion.
5. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
(a) Mary Lebyatkin.
(c) Mrs. Stavrogin.
6. What does Peter ask his father in front of the group?
(a) Whether he wants him to save his father from Dasha.
(b) Whether he really intends to get Mrs. Stavrogin's money.
(c) Whether Dasha was really seduced in Switzerland.
(d) Whether his father taught Nicholas Stavrogin how to treat women
7. What is Captain Lebyatkin's reputation?
(a) He is said to drink and beat his sister.
(b) He is said to be honest and upstanding.
(c) He is said to have killed a man.
(d) He is said to gamble and corrupt young women.
8. What do we find out about Dasha after the duel?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is leaving with Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) She is dying.
(d) She loves Stavrogin.
9. Who will be speaking at Mrs. Lembke's fête?
(c) Peter Verhovensky.
(d) Karmazinov and Stepan Verkhovensky.
10. How does Stavrogin respond to Kirilov's belief?
(a) He is convinced and converted to Kirilov's views.
(b) He is ironic and disbelieving.
(c) He debates Kirilov at length, because he things his belief is missing key points.
(d) He condescends to Kirilov, and treats him like a child.
11. Why is Nicholas Stavrogin demoted?
(a) Because of his gambling debts.
(b) Because he fought a duel.
(c) Because of insubordination.
(d) Because he stole from another officer.
12. What does Mrs. Stavrogin ask her son when he arrives?
(a) Whether he has any new gambling debts.
(b) Whether he is married to Mary Lebyatkin.
(c) Whether he is leaving her all alone.
(d) Whether he has fought a duel.
13. What plan does Mrs. Stavrogin make for Verhovensky?
(a) She asks him to tutor her son.
(b) She asks him to bring her son home.
(c) She sends her Verkhovensky to get her son from prison.
(d) She asks him to marry Dasha.
14. How are the youth of the town behaving at the time of the fête?
(a) They are wildly enthusiastic about the upcoming elections.
(b) They are dutifully enlisting for the military.
(c) They are running wild.
(d) They are collecting money for the poor.
15. Whom does Mrs. Stavrogin invite into the conversation that starts Chapter 5?
(a) Nicholas and Dasha.
(c) Lisa Tushin.
(d) Dasha and the Drozdovs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How has Shatov prepared to defend himself against Stavrogin?
2. What does Kirilov say to Gaganov the morning before the duel?
3. What does Stepan think about marriage?
4. How many previous marriages has Stepan Verkhovensky had?
5. What is Mrs. Stavrogin's feeling about the fête?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)