|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose house is Peter spreading rumors in the days before the fête?
(b) Captain Lebyatkin's.
(c) Mrs. Stavrogin's.
2. What does Nicholas ask his servant to help him do after Peter leaves?
(a) To pay off some of his debts.
(b) To steal money from his mother.
(c) To leave the house without his mother knowing.
(d) To convey his marriage proposal to Mary Lebyatkin.
3. How has Shatov prepared to defend himself against Stavrogin?
(a) He hired bodyguards.
(b) He bought a revolver.
(c) He prayed.
(d) He hid himself.
4. What is Peter predicting in the time after the confrontation at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) That he will incite riots and protests.
(b) That Nicholas will be killed.
(c) That Nicholas will kill Shatov.
(d) That he will bomb a prominent government location.
5. What accusation does Mrs. Stavrogin make of Stepan Verkhovensky?
(a) She accuses him of having seduced Dasha.
(b) She accuses him of being a dilettante and a fraud.
(c) She accuses him of conspiring against the government.
(d) She accuses him of stealing from her.
6. What injury is inflicted during the duel?
(a) Gaganov seriously wounds Stavrogin.
(b) Stavrogin kills Gaganov.
(c) Stavrogin is wounded on the finger.
(d) No injuries are inflicted.
7. What is Verkhovensky's status in Moscow and St. Petersburg society?
(a) He is not respected.
(b) He is highly respected.
(c) He is regaining his reputation after a scandal.
(d) He is ambitious, but not yet recognized.
8. What does Stepan ask Liputin about at their meeting?
(a) Dasha's former engagements.
(b) Nicholas Stavrogin's political opinions.
(c) Peter Verkhovensky's studies.
(d) Liputin's encounters with Mrs. Stavrogin.
9. In what way do Virginsky and Shatov resemble one another?
(a) They are both artists.
(b) They are both young.
(c) They are both conseratives.
(d) They are both liberals.
10. What imputation does Liputin make about Nicholas Stavrogin in his conversation with Kerkhovensky?
(a) That Nicholas is mad.
(b) That Nicholas is dying.
(c) That Nicholas is a radical agitator.
(d) That Nicholas is disreputable.
11. Who punches Nicholas Stavrogin in the face?
(a) Peter Verkhovensky.
(b) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(d) Captain Lebyatkin.
12. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's relationship with Mrs. Stavrogin?
(a) They are lovers.
(b) They are married.
(c) They are enemies.
(d) He lives with her.
13. What did Nicholas think of Mary Lebyatkin after he got to know her?
(a) He thought she was better than anyone he knew.
(b) He thought she was secretly malicious.
(c) He thought she was unredeemably lost.
(d) He thought she was a tease.
14. What does Liputin answer Stepan when Stepan asks him questions at their meeting?
(a) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just been diagnosed with a fatal illness.
(b) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin asked him if he thought Nicholas was mad.
(c) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had tried to arrange for Nicholas to marry Dasha.
(d) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just paid all her son's gambling debts.
15. What is Verkhovensky ashamed of?
(a) He is ashamed of his students' mediocre performance at university.
(b) He is ashamed of Dasha's ignorance and lack of good sense.
(c) He is ashamed of Mrs. Stavrogin's control over his liberty.
(d) He is ashamed of being asked to marry Dasha to hide her past.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
2. What is Mrs. Stavrogin's feeling about the fête?
3. How does Stavrogin respond to Kirilov's belief?
4. How many previous marriages has Stepan Verkhovensky had?
5. Why did Nicholas initially take an interest in Captain Lebyatkin?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)