|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event results in an investigation that discovers radical literature?
(a) The publication of a radical poem.
(b) A cholera outbreak at a factory.
(c) A flood in a mine.
(d) An attack on a general's wife.
2. What are Verkhovensky's political views?
(a) He does not let politics interfere with his art.
(b) He is afraid of the government, but likes to be seen as liberal.
(c) He is rebellious and frequently in trouble with the law.
(d) He is an informant working with the government to clamp down on dissenters.
3. What are Mrs. Lembke's social aspirations?
(a) She wants to pass for an ordinary Russian.
(b) She wants to be accepted into Mrs. Stavrogin's society.
(c) She wants to know Captain and Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) She wants to be accepted in the highest rank of society.
4. What happened to the money that Nicholas gives to Captain Lebyatkin for Mary?
(a) The Captain left Mary alone and went to Moscow.
(b) The Captain spent it on drink.
(c) The Captain got Mary the medication she needed.
(d) The Captain got a house for himself and his sister.
5. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(c) Mary Lebyatkin.
6. In what way do Virginsky and Shatov resemble one another?
(a) They are both liberals.
(b) They are both conseratives.
(c) They are both young.
(d) They are both artists.
7. How many previous marriages has Stepan Verkhovensky had?
8. Whose influence has Mr. Lembke come under?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin's.
(b) Peter Verkhovensky's.
(c) His wife's.
(d) His son's.
9. What rumors is Peter spreading in the days before the fête?
(a) That Stavrogin is a government spy.
(b) That Verkhovensky is a murderer.
(c) That Mr. Lembke is having an affair.
(d) That Mrs. Lembke is an anarchist.
10. What is Captain Lebyatkin's reputation?
(a) He is said to gamble and corrupt young women.
(b) He is said to have killed a man.
(c) He is said to drink and beat his sister.
(d) He is said to be honest and upstanding.
11. What weapons do Stavrogin and Gaganov use for the duel?
12. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) She wants to know whether her son's name has been sullied.
(b) She wants to know who she can borrow money from.
(c) She wants to know what Shatov knows about Lebyatkin.
(d) She wants to know when her son is coming back home.
13. Who is Virginsky?
(a) A radical agitator.
(b) A local official.
(c) A professor at the university.
(d) A student of Verkhovensky's.
14. What last-minute effort does Stavrogin make to avert the duel?
(a) He offers even more money.
(b) He threatens to kill Gaganov's entire family.
(c) He offers to leave the country.
(d) He apologizes once again.
15. What is Gaganov's response to Kirilov?
(a) He refuses to accept the apology.
(b) He insults Kirilov and offered to duel with him as well.
(c) He calls off the duel.
(d) He refuses the offer of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose house is Peter spreading rumors in the days before the fête?
2. Where were Captain Lebyatin and his sister living when Nicholas met them?
3. How does Peter plan to instigate his father?
4. Why did Nicholas initially take an interest in Captain Lebyatkin?
5. What warning does Stavrogin give to Shatov at the end of their conversation?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)