|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is The Possessed set?
(a) In St. Petersburg.
(b) In Moscow.
(c) In the Russian provinces.
(d) In Novgorod.
2. How does Mrs. Lembke participate in Peter's plans?
(a) She allows them to proceed unwittingly, through her lack of sense.
(b) She helps him deliberately, out of resentment of the rich.
(c) She gives him money, out of a sentimental desire to help the poor.
(d) She is swindled by Peter out of naivete.
3. What was Nicholas' first impression of Mary Lebyatkin?
(a) He thought she was an angel.
(b) He thought she was corrupt but beautiful.
(c) He fell in love with her.
(d) He took no notice of her.
4. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's employment?
(a) He is an elected official.
(b) He tutors Mrs. Stavrogin's son.
(c) He is a social researcher.
(d) He is a local bureaucrat.
5. What is Peter predicting in the time after the confrontation at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) That Nicholas will be killed.
(b) That Nicholas will kill Shatov.
(c) That he will bomb a prominent government location.
(d) That he will incite riots and protests.
6. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
(a) Peter Verkhovensky and Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) Shatov and Liputin.
(c) Mary Lebyatkin and Mrs. Drozdov.
(d) Stepan Verkhovensky and Lisa Tushin.
7. What is Julia Lembke's hope for the children?
(a) She hopes to rehabilitate them.
(b) She hopes they are rewarded for their devotion.
(c) She hopes they succeed in their anarchistic plans.
(d) She hopes they are punished for their violence.
8. What did Nicholas think of Mary Lebyatkin after he got to know her?
(a) He thought she was better than anyone he knew.
(b) He thought she was secretly malicious.
(c) He thought she was a tease.
(d) He thought she was unredeemably lost.
9. What is Nicholas Stavrogin like as a military officer?
(a) He is a deserter.
(b) He is a respected leader.
(c) He is a brave soldier.
(d) He is a bully.
10. Who is Liputin?
(a) A liberal official.
(b) A student of Verkhovensky's.
(c) A local banker.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin's son's friend.
11. How many shots does each duelist get to take?
12. How does Nicholas Stavrogin kill a man?
(a) He poisoned the man who had killed his father.
(b) Accidentally, when his horse trampled the man.
(c) In self defense, when he was being robbed.
(d) In a duel.
13. What is Verkhovensky's status in Moscow and St. Petersburg society?
(a) He is regaining his reputation after a scandal.
(b) He is ambitious, but not yet recognized.
(c) He is highly respected.
(d) He is not respected.
14. What outrageous act does a local lieutenant commit?
(a) He bites his general's ear.
(b) He kills himself and his fellow officers.
(c) He refuses to go to the Crimea with his regiment.
(d) He seduces a general's wife.
15. What accusation does Mrs. Stavrogin make of Stepan Verkhovensky?
(a) She accuses him of being a dilettante and a fraud.
(b) She accuses him of stealing from her.
(c) She accuses him of having seduced Dasha.
(d) She accuses him of conspiring against the government.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Shatov?
2. How does Nicholas Stavrogin react to his demotion?
3. Who is Mr. Lembke?
4. Who is Virginsky?
5. Who has been in hiding for the week after the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)