|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many previous marriages has Stepan Verkhovensky had?
2. Where does Verkhovensky hear that the rumor he heard about Dasha is true?
(a) From Liputin and a friend of Peter's.
(b) From Dasha and Mrs. Stavrogin.
(c) From Lebyatkin.
(d) From Shatov.
3. Who is Mrs. Lembke hosting in her salon?
(a) The local youth.
(b) Local writers and artists.
(c) The local elite.
(d) Visiting dignitaries.
4. How many paces separate the two duelists?
5. What do we learn from Stavrogin's confrontation with Shatov?
(a) That Shatov is married to Lary Lebyatkin.
(b) That Mary Lebyatkin is Stavrogin's sister.
(c) That Mary Lebyatkin is Stavrogin's half-sister.
(d) That Stavrogin is married to Mary Lebyatkin.
6. What are the terms under which Stepan departs Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) She will give him a little money.
(b) He can return any time he likes.
(c) She will still pay him an allowance.
(d) She will not give him anything.
7. Who throws Stepan Verkhovensky out of the conversation?
(a) Nicholas Stavrogin.
(b) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(c) Peter Verkhovensky.
8. What does Liputin answer Stepan when Stepan asks him questions at their meeting?
(a) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just been diagnosed with a fatal illness.
(b) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just paid all her son's gambling debts.
(c) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin asked him if he thought Nicholas was mad.
(d) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had tried to arrange for Nicholas to marry Dasha.
9. Whom does Mrs. Lembke befriend?
(a) Stepan Verkhovensky.
(d) Peter Verkhovensky.
10. Why does Nicholas treat Miss Lebyatkin so well?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin says it was because her son was rebellious.
(b) Peter says it was because of the 'demon of irony' in him.
(c) Captain Lebyatkin says it was because Nicholas is sentimental and stupid.
(d) Nicholas says it was because he was in love.
11. Why is Nicholas Stavrogin demoted?
(a) Because he fought a duel.
(b) Because he stole from another officer.
(c) Because of insubordination.
(d) Because of his gambling debts.
12. Where were Captain Lebyatin and his sister living when Nicholas met them?
(a) On the streets.
(b) With Peter Verkhovensky.
(c) With Mrs. Stavrogin.
(d) In their family's estate.
13. How does Stavrogin respond to Kirilov's belief?
(a) He debates Kirilov at length, because he things his belief is missing key points.
(b) He is convinced and converted to Kirilov's views.
(c) He is ironic and disbelieving.
(d) He condescends to Kirilov, and treats him like a child.
14. How has Shatov prepared to defend himself against Stavrogin?
(a) He hid himself.
(b) He hired bodyguards.
(c) He prayed.
(d) He bought a revolver.
15. What are Shatov's political views?
(a) He is not invested in politics.
(b) He is a radical agitator.
(c) He is a staunch conservative.
(d) He is extremely liberal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What warning does Stavrogin give to Shatov at the end of their conversation?
2. What outrageous act does a local lieutenant commit?
3. What has Peter Verkhovensky been doing in the week since the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
4. What is Julia Lembke's hope for the children?
5. Which topic is on the schedule of events for the fête?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)