|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens on Stavrogin's third shot?
(a) Stavrogin shoots closer to Gaganov, but still shoots in the air.
(b) Stavrogin shoots into the ground at his feet.
(c) Stavrogin hits Gaganov's second by mistake.
(d) Stavrogin kills Gaganov.
2. What is Peter predicting in the time after the confrontation at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) That he will incite riots and protests.
(b) That Nicholas will be killed.
(c) That Nicholas will kill Shatov.
(d) That he will bomb a prominent government location.
3. Why does Nicholas treat Miss Lebyatkin so well?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin says it was because her son was rebellious.
(b) Peter says it was because of the 'demon of irony' in him.
(c) Nicholas says it was because he was in love.
(d) Captain Lebyatkin says it was because Nicholas is sentimental and stupid.
4. Who is Mr. Lembke?
(a) A judge in the district where Stavrogin dueled.
(b) Mrs. Stavrogin's lawyer.
(c) A German member of the elite.
(d) Captain Lebyatkin's brother-in-law.
5. Who is Nicholas Stavrogin's tutor?
6. What does Peter ask his father in front of the group?
(a) Whether Dasha was really seduced in Switzerland.
(b) Whether his father taught Nicholas Stavrogin how to treat women
(c) Whether he really intends to get Mrs. Stavrogin's money.
(d) Whether he wants him to save his father from Dasha.
7. Who is Liputin?
(a) A student of Verkhovensky's.
(b) Mrs. Stavrogin's son's friend.
(c) A local banker.
(d) A liberal official.
8. How does Nicholas Stavrogin react to his demotion?
(a) He keeps fighting duels.
(b) His gambling gets even worse.
(c) He quits the army.
(d) He works his way back to his rank.
9. Whom does Nicholas visit in Part II, Chapter 2?
(a) His mother.
(b) Shatov and Kirilov.
(c) The local constabulary.
(d) Captain and Miss Lebyatkin.
10. What did Nicholas think of Mary Lebyatkin after he got to know her?
(a) He thought she was a tease.
(b) He thought she was unredeemably lost.
(c) He thought she was secretly malicious.
(d) He thought she was better than anyone he knew.
11. What problem might Stavrogin have with his plan?
(a) He has lost his reputation.
(b) Divorce is still illegal.
(c) He doesn't have any money.
(d) Lisa is already married to Mr. Drozdov.
12. Who will be speaking at Mrs. Lembke's fête?
(a) Peter Verhovensky.
(d) Karmazinov and Stepan Verkhovensky.
13. What does Stepan think about marriage?
(a) He thinks it is an outdated institution.
(b) He misses being married.
(c) He thinks it is every man's duty.
(d) He thinks it will corrupt him.
14. Who is Kirilov?
(a) A local official and former political prisoner.
(b) A friend of Shatov's and Mrs. Stavrogin's neighbor.
(c) A political agitator from Moscow.
(d) A friend of Peter Verkhovensky and Nicholas Stavrogin's.
15. What is Captain Lebyatkin's reputation?
(a) He is said to gamble and corrupt young women.
(b) He is said to drink and beat his sister.
(c) He is said to have killed a man.
(d) He is said to be honest and upstanding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What last-minute effort does Stavrogin make to avert the duel?
2. What is Mr. Lembke's professional background?
3. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's relationship with Mrs. Stavrogin?
4. What do we learn from Stavrogin's confrontation with Shatov?
5. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)