|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is The Possessed set?
(a) In St. Petersburg.
(b) In Moscow.
(c) In the Russian provinces.
(d) In Novgorod.
2. What rumors is Peter spreading in the days before the fête?
(a) That Mrs. Lembke is an anarchist.
(b) That Stavrogin is a government spy.
(c) That Verkhovensky is a murderer.
(d) That Mr. Lembke is having an affair.
3. What was Nicholas' first impression of Mary Lebyatkin?
(a) He took no notice of her.
(b) He fell in love with her.
(c) He thought she was corrupt but beautiful.
(d) He thought she was an angel.
4. What is Stepan and Peter Verkhovensky's relationship like?
(a) They have been in touch as Peter traveled.
(b) They have become mortal enemies.
(c) They have been estranged.
(d) They have been closer ever since Stepah fled to the provinces.
5. How are Mrs. Stavrogin's views changing as time goes on?
(a) She is becoming more utilitarian and modern.
(b) She is becoming more reserved and conservative.
(c) She is becoming more fearful and reactionary.
(d) She is becoming more prophetic and visionary.
6. What is Peter predicting in the time after the confrontation at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) That Nicholas will be killed.
(b) That he will bomb a prominent government location.
(c) That he will incite riots and protests.
(d) That Nicholas will kill Shatov.
7. What does Stepan ask Liputin about at their meeting?
(a) Peter Verkhovensky's studies.
(b) Nicholas Stavrogin's political opinions.
(c) Dasha's former engagements.
(d) Liputin's encounters with Mrs. Stavrogin.
8. Who is Lisa Tushin?
(a) A woman who had a relationship with Nicholas.
(b) A schoolmistress in St. Petersburg.
(c) A seamstress.
(d) A neighbor of Mrs. Stavrogin's.
9. What is Mrs. Stavrogin's feeling about the fête?
(a) She envies Mrs. Lembke.
(b) She is helping Mrs. Lembke.
(c) She is co-sponsoring the fête.
(d) She is appalled that people would come for Mrs. Lembke.
10. What causes Mrs. Stavrogin to separate with Stepan Verkhovensky?
(a) Peter's antics about Dasha.
(b) Peter's insults.
(c) Stepan's unconscionable behavior.
(d) Stepan's radical views.
11. Who will be speaking at Mrs. Lembke's fête?
(a) Peter Verhovensky.
(c) Karmazinov and Stepan Verkhovensky.
12. In whose house is Peter spreading rumors in the days before the fête?
(b) Captain Lebyatkin's.
(c) Mrs. Stavrogin's.
13. How many shots does each duelist get to take?
14. What belief does Kirilov profess to Stavrogin?
(a) He believes that a man-god will preach happiness.
(b) He believes that the students protestors are going to overthrow the government.
(c) He believes that man is eternally confounded by a split in his nature.
(d) He believes that man can only be known by his actions, not by his spirit.
15. What did Nicholas think of Mary Lebyatkin after he got to know her?
(a) He thought she was a tease.
(b) He thought she was secretly malicious.
(c) He thought she was better than anyone he knew.
(d) He thought she was unredeemably lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who punches Nicholas Stavrogin in the face?
2. What does Mrs. Stavrogin ask her son when he arrives?
3. What problem might Stavrogin have with his plan?
4. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. Who is Liputin?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)