|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many shots does each duelist get to take?
2. Who does Lebyatkin live with?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(c) His sister, Shatov and Kirlov.
(d) Peter Verkhovensky.
3. What happened to the money that Nicholas gives to Captain Lebyatkin for Mary?
(a) The Captain got Mary the medication she needed.
(b) The Captain left Mary alone and went to Moscow.
(c) The Captain spent it on drink.
(d) The Captain got a house for himself and his sister.
4. Why has Gaganov been insulting Stavrogin?
(a) Stavrogin has insulted Gaganov's father years ago.
(b) Stavrogin has corrupted Gaganov's sister.
(c) Gaganov has a temperamental hostility to Stavrogin.
(d) Stavrogin has seduced Gaganov's wife.
5. What was Captain Lebyatkin's relationship with Nicholas Stavrogin in Moscow?
(a) Nicholas owed Lebyatkin money from gambling.
(b) They were in the military together.
(c) Leybatkin introduced Nicholas to Dasha.
(d) It is not clear what their relationship was.
6. What is Gaganov's response to Kirilov?
(a) He refuses the offer of money.
(b) He refuses to accept the apology.
(c) He insults Kirilov and offered to duel with him as well.
(d) He calls off the duel.
7. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(d) Mary Lebyatkin.
8. What venture does Lisa approach Shatov for help with?
(a) Publishing a yearly compendium of articles.
(b) Finding a husband for her and a father for her girls.
(c) Finding a job for her son.
(d) Getting herself out of debt so she can buy a cottage.
9. Who acts as Gaganov's second in the duel?
(a) Mr. Drozdov.
(b) Mr. Lemke.
10. Which topic is on the schedule of events for the fête?
(a) The Sistine Madonna.
(b) Spirituality in modern life.
(c) Modern agricultural techniques.
(d) Renaissance cathedrals.
11. What does Liputin answer Stepan when Stepan asks him questions at their meeting?
(a) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had tried to arrange for Nicholas to marry Dasha.
(b) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just been diagnosed with a fatal illness.
(c) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just paid all her son's gambling debts.
(d) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin asked him if he thought Nicholas was mad.
12. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's relationship with Mrs. Stavrogin?
(a) They are lovers.
(b) They are married.
(c) He lives with her.
(d) They are enemies.
13. What are Shatov's political views?
(a) He is a staunch conservative.
(b) He is not invested in politics.
(c) He is a radical agitator.
(d) He is extremely liberal.
14. What are Verkhovensky's political views?
(a) He is afraid of the government, but likes to be seen as liberal.
(b) He does not let politics interfere with his art.
(c) He is an informant working with the government to clamp down on dissenters.
(d) He is rebellious and frequently in trouble with the law.
15. What does Peter ask his father in front of the group?
(a) Whether he wants him to save his father from Dasha.
(b) Whether Dasha was really seduced in Switzerland.
(c) Whether his father taught Nicholas Stavrogin how to treat women
(d) Whether he really intends to get Mrs. Stavrogin's money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose influence has Mr. Lembke come under?
2. Who is Liputin?
3. Why is Nicholas Stavrogin demoted?
4. Who is Lisa Tushin?
5. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)