|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many previous marriages has Stepan Verkhovensky had?
2. How many paces separate the two duelists?
3. What outrageous act does a local lieutenant commit?
(a) He bites his general's ear.
(b) He seduces a general's wife.
(c) He kills himself and his fellow officers.
(d) He refuses to go to the Crimea with his regiment.
4. Who does Lebyatkin live with?
(b) Peter Verkhovensky.
(c) His sister, Shatov and Kirlov.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
5. Why has Gaganov been insulting Stavrogin?
(a) Stavrogin has seduced Gaganov's wife.
(b) Gaganov has a temperamental hostility to Stavrogin.
(c) Stavrogin has insulted Gaganov's father years ago.
(d) Stavrogin has corrupted Gaganov's sister.
6. When does Part II, Chapter 3 begin?
(a) The day after the duel between Stavrogin and Gaganov.
(b) The day of the uprising.
(c) A week after the confrontation at Mrs. Stavrogin's house.
(d) The day of the duel between Stavrogin and Gaganov.
7. Who is Virginsky?
(a) A radical agitator.
(b) A professor at the university.
(c) A student of Verkhovensky's.
(d) A local official.
8. What does Nicholas ask his servant to help him do after Peter leaves?
(a) To pay off some of his debts.
(b) To steal money from his mother.
(c) To leave the house without his mother knowing.
(d) To convey his marriage proposal to Mary Lebyatkin.
9. Where did Nicholas meet Captain Lebyatkin?
(b) St. Petersburg.
10. What was Nicholas' first impression of Mary Lebyatkin?
(a) He thought she was corrupt but beautiful.
(b) He thought she was an angel.
(c) He fell in love with her.
(d) He took no notice of her.
11. How does Chapter 5 begin?
(a) With a declaration of love between Mrs. Stavrogin and Lebyatkin.
(b) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Lisa, Miss Lebyatkin and Verkhovensky, Shatov, and the narrator.
(c) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Virginsky and Dasha.
(d) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Nicholas Stavrogin and Captain Lebyatkin.
12. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) She wants to know when her son is coming back home.
(b) She wants to know who she can borrow money from.
(c) She wants to know what Shatov knows about Lebyatkin.
(d) She wants to know whether her son's name has been sullied.
13. What injury is inflicted during the duel?
(a) No injuries are inflicted.
(b) Stavrogin is wounded on the finger.
(c) Stavrogin kills Gaganov.
(d) Gaganov seriously wounds Stavrogin.
14. What condition does Mrs. Lembke impose on people who want to come to her party?
(a) Guests must volunteer to subvert the rich.
(b) Guests must pledge loyalty to the Czar.
(c) Guests must purchase a subscription to her new literary magazine.
(d) Guests must read a radical essay by Peter Verkhovensky.
15. What does Stavrogin do when it is his turn to shoot?
(a) Aims for Gaganov's heart but misses.
(b) Shoots in the air.
(c) Shoots Gaganov in the eye.
(d) Hits Gaganov's finger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens on Stavrogin's third shot?
2. What problem might Stavrogin have with his plan?
3. Who is Shatov?
4. What is Stepan and Peter Verkhovensky's relationship like?
5. What venture does Lisa approach Shatov for help with?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)