|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Liputin answer Stepan when Stepan asks him questions at their meeting?
(a) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin asked him if he thought Nicholas was mad.
(b) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just paid all her son's gambling debts.
(c) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just been diagnosed with a fatal illness.
(d) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had tried to arrange for Nicholas to marry Dasha.
2. Which topic is on the schedule of events for the fête?
(a) Modern agricultural techniques.
(b) The Sistine Madonna.
(c) Renaissance cathedrals.
(d) Spirituality in modern life.
3. What does Peter ask his father in front of the group?
(a) Whether his father taught Nicholas Stavrogin how to treat women
(b) Whether Dasha was really seduced in Switzerland.
(c) Whether he wants him to save his father from Dasha.
(d) Whether he really intends to get Mrs. Stavrogin's money.
4. What was Captain Lebyatkin's relationship with Nicholas Stavrogin in Moscow?
(a) It is not clear what their relationship was.
(b) Leybatkin introduced Nicholas to Dasha.
(c) Nicholas owed Lebyatkin money from gambling.
(d) They were in the military together.
5. What problem might Stavrogin have with his plan?
(a) He has lost his reputation.
(b) He doesn't have any money.
(c) Divorce is still illegal.
(d) Lisa is already married to Mr. Drozdov.
6. With whom does Nicholas Stavrogin leave from his conversation with his mother?
(a) Miss Lebyatkin.
(b) Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) Peter Verkhovensky.
(d) Lisa Tushin.
7. What is Stepan Verkhovensky agitated about at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Marriage to Dasha.
(b) His father's return.
(c) His wife's pregnancy.
(d) His son's debts.
8. How many shots does each duelist get to take?
9. What is Peter planning throughout Part II of The Possessed?
(a) An uprising.
(b) Marry Mary Lebyatkin.
(c) To kill Shatov and Liputin.
(d) To leave for Moscow.
10. What rumors is Peter spreading in the days before the fête?
(a) That Mrs. Lembke is an anarchist.
(b) That Verkhovensky is a murderer.
(c) That Mr. Lembke is having an affair.
(d) That Stavrogin is a government spy.
11. Where did Nicholas meet Captain Lebyatkin?
(c) St. Petersburg.
12. What is Nicholas' relationship with Dasha, according to Liputin?
(a) Nicholas owed her brother money.
(b) Nicholas had redeemed her from prison.
(c) Nicholas had fought a duel over her.
(d) Nicholas seduced her in Moscow.
13. How does Nicholas Stavrogin react to his demotion?
(a) He works his way back to his rank.
(b) His gambling gets even worse.
(c) He keeps fighting duels.
(d) He quits the army.
14. What is Kirilov's involvement in Stavrogin's plan?
(a) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to distract Gaganov.
(b) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to be his second.
(c) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to convey messages to Gaganov's daughter.
(d) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to plant incriminating evidence.
15. Mrs. Lembke bestows her favors in spite of what?
(a) Her ignorance of all diplomatic matters.
(b) The insults she receives from the local elite.
(c) The jokes the local writers make at her expense.
(d) The degeneration of the youths' behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nicholas' first impression of Mary Lebyatkin?
2. What plan does Mrs. Stavrogin make for Verhovensky?
3. Why does Lisa approach Shatov?
4. Who is Liputin?
5. What is Mrs. Stavrogin's feeling about the fête?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)