|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Mrs. Stavrogin invite into the conversation that starts Chapter 5?
(b) Nicholas and Dasha.
(c) Dasha and the Drozdovs.
(d) Lisa Tushin.
2. How are the youth of the town behaving at the time of the fête?
(a) They are wildly enthusiastic about the upcoming elections.
(b) They are dutifully enlisting for the military.
(c) They are collecting money for the poor.
(d) They are running wild.
3. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's relationship with Mrs. Stavrogin?
(a) They are enemies.
(b) They are married.
(c) They are lovers.
(d) He lives with her.
4. What are the terms under which Stepan departs Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) She will give him a little money.
(b) He can return any time he likes.
(c) She will not give him anything.
(d) She will still pay him an allowance.
5. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
(a) Stavrogin's father.
(b) Shatov's father.
(c) Verkhovensky's son.
(d) Verkhovensky's father.
6. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
(c) Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
7. What event results in an investigation that discovers radical literature?
(a) A cholera outbreak at a factory.
(b) A flood in a mine.
(c) The publication of a radical poem.
(d) An attack on a general's wife.
8. What is Peter planning throughout Part II of The Possessed?
(a) To leave for Moscow.
(b) To kill Shatov and Liputin.
(c) Marry Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) An uprising.
9. What happens on Stavrogin's third shot?
(a) Stavrogin hits Gaganov's second by mistake.
(b) Stavrogin shoots into the ground at his feet.
(c) Stavrogin kills Gaganov.
(d) Stavrogin shoots closer to Gaganov, but still shoots in the air.
10. What happened to the money that Nicholas gives to Captain Lebyatkin for Mary?
(a) The Captain spent it on drink.
(b) The Captain left Mary alone and went to Moscow.
(c) The Captain got Mary the medication she needed.
(d) The Captain got a house for himself and his sister.
11. Whose influence has Mr. Lembke come under?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin's.
(b) Peter Verkhovensky's.
(c) His son's.
(d) His wife's.
12. What outrageous act does a local lieutenant commit?
(a) He refuses to go to the Crimea with his regiment.
(b) He kills himself and his fellow officers.
(c) He bites his general's ear.
(d) He seduces a general's wife.
13. What is Mr. Lembke's professional background?
(a) He was a soldier before entering the government.
(b) He was a lawyer before becoming a politician.
(c) He was a novelist before he became a lawyer.
(d) He wrote a novel that was rejected by a magazine.
14. What is Stepan's impression of the confrontation that took place at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) That Stavrogin needed to be taken down.
(b) That Peter was out to assassinate people's characters.
(c) That Mrs. Stavrogin had let her son have too much rein.
(d) That Peter had planned it all along.
15. How many previous marriages has Stepan Verkhovensky had?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Peter plan to instigate his father?
2. When does Part II, Chapter 3 begin?
3. How does Nicholas Stavrogin react to his demotion?
4. Why has Gaganov been insulting Stavrogin?
5. What is Nicholas' relationship with Dasha, according to Liputin?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)