|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do we learn from Stavrogin's confrontation with Shatov?
(a) That Shatov is married to Lary Lebyatkin.
(b) That Mary Lebyatkin is Stavrogin's sister.
(c) That Stavrogin is married to Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) That Mary Lebyatkin is Stavrogin's half-sister.
2. What plan does Mrs. Stavrogin make for Verhovensky?
(a) She asks him to bring her son home.
(b) She sends her Verkhovensky to get her son from prison.
(c) She asks him to marry Dasha.
(d) She asks him to tutor her son.
3. What is Stepan and Peter Verkhovensky's relationship like?
(a) They have been in touch as Peter traveled.
(b) They have become mortal enemies.
(c) They have been closer ever since Stepah fled to the provinces.
(d) They have been estranged.
4. Why is Nicholas Stavrogin demoted?
(a) Because he stole from another officer.
(b) Because he fought a duel.
(c) Because of insubordination.
(d) Because of his gambling debts.
5. What is Nicholas' relationship with Dasha, according to Liputin?
(a) Nicholas owed her brother money.
(b) Nicholas had redeemed her from prison.
(c) Nicholas had fought a duel over her.
(d) Nicholas seduced her in Moscow.
6. Who is Mr. Lembke?
(a) A German member of the elite.
(b) A judge in the district where Stavrogin dueled.
(c) Captain Lebyatkin's brother-in-law.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin's lawyer.
7. How does Nicholas Stavrogin react to his demotion?
(a) He quits the army.
(b) He works his way back to his rank.
(c) His gambling gets even worse.
(d) He keeps fighting duels.
8. What condition does Mrs. Lembke impose on people who want to come to her party?
(a) Guests must read a radical essay by Peter Verkhovensky.
(b) Guests must volunteer to subvert the rich.
(c) Guests must purchase a subscription to her new literary magazine.
(d) Guests must pledge loyalty to the Czar.
9. Where did Nicholas meet Captain Lebyatkin?
(d) St. Petersburg.
10. What happens on Stavrogin's third shot?
(a) Stavrogin kills Gaganov.
(b) Stavrogin hits Gaganov's second by mistake.
(c) Stavrogin shoots closer to Gaganov, but still shoots in the air.
(d) Stavrogin shoots into the ground at his feet.
11. What does Stavrogin do when it is his turn to shoot?
(a) Aims for Gaganov's heart but misses.
(b) Hits Gaganov's finger.
(c) Shoots Gaganov in the eye.
(d) Shoots in the air.
12. How has Shatov prepared to defend himself against Stavrogin?
(a) He bought a revolver.
(b) He hired bodyguards.
(c) He hid himself.
(d) He prayed.
13. What does Stepan ask Liputin about at their meeting?
(a) Dasha's former engagements.
(b) Nicholas Stavrogin's political opinions.
(c) Peter Verkhovensky's studies.
(d) Liputin's encounters with Mrs. Stavrogin.
14. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
(a) Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
15. Who will be speaking at Mrs. Lembke's fête?
(a) Peter Verhovensky.
(c) Karmazinov and Stepan Verkhovensky.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumors is Peter spreading in the days before the fête?
2. What causes Mrs. Stavrogin to separate with Stepan Verkhovensky?
3. What does Mrs. Stavrogin ask her son when he arrives?
4. What is Stepan Verkhovensky agitated about at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's relationship with Mrs. Stavrogin?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)