|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many paces separate the two duelists?
2. Who throws Stepan Verkhovensky out of the conversation?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(c) Nicholas Stavrogin.
(d) Peter Verkhovensky.
3. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
(b) Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
4. What are Shatov's political views?
(a) He is a staunch conservative.
(b) He is not invested in politics.
(c) He is a radical agitator.
(d) He is extremely liberal.
5. What rumors is Peter spreading in the days before the fête?
(a) That Verkhovensky is a murderer.
(b) That Mr. Lembke is having an affair.
(c) That Mrs. Lembke is an anarchist.
(d) That Stavrogin is a government spy.
6. What does Liputin answer Stepan when Stepan asks him questions at their meeting?
(a) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin asked him if he thought Nicholas was mad.
(b) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just been diagnosed with a fatal illness.
(c) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had tried to arrange for Nicholas to marry Dasha.
(d) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just paid all her son's gambling debts.
7. Why does Lisa approach Shatov?
(a) She wants him to write a letter to her son.
(b) She wants him to join a business venture.
(c) She wants him to find her a husband.
(d) She wants him to lend her money.
8. What causes Mrs. Stavrogin to separate with Stepan Verkhovensky?
(a) Stepan's unconscionable behavior.
(b) Peter's antics about Dasha.
(c) Stepan's radical views.
(d) Peter's insults.
9. What happened to the money that Nicholas gives to Captain Lebyatkin for Mary?
(a) The Captain left Mary alone and went to Moscow.
(b) The Captain got Mary the medication she needed.
(c) The Captain spent it on drink.
(d) The Captain got a house for himself and his sister.
10. What do we find out about Dasha after the duel?
(a) She is leaving with Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) She loves Stavrogin.
(c) She is dying.
(d) She is pregnant.
11. What is Stepan and Peter Verkhovensky's relationship like?
(a) They have become mortal enemies.
(b) They have been closer ever since Stepah fled to the provinces.
(c) They have been estranged.
(d) They have been in touch as Peter traveled.
12. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
(a) Shatov's father.
(b) Stavrogin's father.
(c) Verkhovensky's father.
(d) Verkhovensky's son.
13. What is Peter predicting in the time after the confrontation at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) That Nicholas will be killed.
(b) That he will bomb a prominent government location.
(c) That he will incite riots and protests.
(d) That Nicholas will kill Shatov.
14. How does the Verkhovensky circle feel about Nicholas Stavrogin?
(a) They admire his charisma.
(b) They mock him for his pretentiousness.
(c) They are afraid of his temper.
(d) They are impressed with his wealth.
15. What is Nicholas Stavrogin like as a military officer?
(a) He is a respected leader.
(b) He is a brave soldier.
(c) He is a bully.
(d) He is a deserter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Nicholas' first impression of Mary Lebyatkin?
2. Who will be speaking at Mrs. Lembke's fête?
3. What does Stavrogin do when it is his turn to shoot?
4. Why is Nicholas Stavrogin demoted?
5. Who is Nicholas Stavrogin's tutor?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)