|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stavrogin respond to Kirilov's belief?
(a) He is convinced and converted to Kirilov's views.
(b) He condescends to Kirilov, and treats him like a child.
(c) He is ironic and disbelieving.
(d) He debates Kirilov at length, because he things his belief is missing key points.
2. What was Nicholas' first impression of Mary Lebyatkin?
(a) He thought she was corrupt but beautiful.
(b) He fell in love with her.
(c) He thought she was an angel.
(d) He took no notice of her.
3. How does Peter plan to instigate his father?
(a) He tries to ruin Stavrogin's reputation.
(b) He circulates rumors about Dasha.
(c) He tries to seduce Dasha himself.
(d) He tells Mrs. Stavrogin lies about his father.
4. Who is Mrs. Lembke hosting in her salon?
(a) The local elite.
(b) The local youth.
(c) Visiting dignitaries.
(d) Local writers and artists.
5. How many previous marriages has Stepan Verkhovensky had?
6. In whose house is Peter spreading rumors in the days before the fête?
(b) Captain Lebyatkin's.
(c) Mrs. Stavrogin's.
7. Who throws Stepan Verkhovensky out of the conversation?
(b) Peter Verkhovensky.
(c) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(d) Nicholas Stavrogin.
8. How does the Verkhovensky circle feel about Nicholas Stavrogin?
(a) They admire his charisma.
(b) They are impressed with his wealth.
(c) They are afraid of his temper.
(d) They mock him for his pretentiousness.
9. Why has Gaganov been insulting Stavrogin?
(a) Stavrogin has seduced Gaganov's wife.
(b) Stavrogin has insulted Gaganov's father years ago.
(c) Gaganov has a temperamental hostility to Stavrogin.
(d) Stavrogin has corrupted Gaganov's sister.
10. How many paces separate the two duelists?
11. How does Mrs. Lembke participate in Peter's plans?
(a) She gives him money, out of a sentimental desire to help the poor.
(b) She allows them to proceed unwittingly, through her lack of sense.
(c) She is swindled by Peter out of naivete.
(d) She helps him deliberately, out of resentment of the rich.
12. Who has been in hiding for the week after the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's?
(a) Captain Lebyatkin and his sister.
(c) Shatov and Nicholas Stavrogin.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
13. Who is Virginsky?
(a) A radical agitator.
(b) A student of Verkhovensky's.
(c) A local official.
(d) A professor at the university.
14. Who is Nicholas Stavrogin's tutor?
15. How does Nicholas Stavrogin react to his demotion?
(a) He keeps fighting duels.
(b) His gambling gets even worse.
(c) He quits the army.
(d) He works his way back to his rank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose influence has Mr. Lembke come under?
2. Who acts as Gaganov's second in the duel?
3. What are Shatov's political views?
4. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's employment?
5. What injury is inflicted during the duel?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)