|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Lembke participate in Peter's plans?
(a) She gives him money, out of a sentimental desire to help the poor.
(b) She is swindled by Peter out of naivete.
(c) She allows them to proceed unwittingly, through her lack of sense.
(d) She helps him deliberately, out of resentment of the rich.
2. What are Verkhovensky's political views?
(a) He is an informant working with the government to clamp down on dissenters.
(b) He is rebellious and frequently in trouble with the law.
(c) He is afraid of the government, but likes to be seen as liberal.
(d) He does not let politics interfere with his art.
3. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) She wants to know who she can borrow money from.
(b) She wants to know what Shatov knows about Lebyatkin.
(c) She wants to know when her son is coming back home.
(d) She wants to know whether her son's name has been sullied.
4. Whom does Mrs. Lembke befriend?
(b) Peter Verkhovensky.
(c) Stepan Verkhovensky.
5. How does Peter plan to instigate his father?
(a) He tries to seduce Dasha himself.
(b) He tries to ruin Stavrogin's reputation.
(c) He tells Mrs. Stavrogin lies about his father.
(d) He circulates rumors about Dasha.
6. What does Stavrogin do when it is his turn to shoot?
(a) Shoots Gaganov in the eye.
(b) Aims for Gaganov's heart but misses.
(c) Shoots in the air.
(d) Hits Gaganov's finger.
7. Which topic is on the schedule of events for the fête?
(a) Spirituality in modern life.
(b) Modern agricultural techniques.
(c) The Sistine Madonna.
(d) Renaissance cathedrals.
8. Why does Lisa approach Shatov?
(a) She wants him to write a letter to her son.
(b) She wants him to lend her money.
(c) She wants him to join a business venture.
(d) She wants him to find her a husband.
9. What do we find out about Dasha after the duel?
(a) She is dying.
(b) She is leaving with Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) She loves Stavrogin.
(d) She is pregnant.
10. How many paces separate the two duelists?
11. How many previous marriages has Stepan Verkhovensky had?
12. Who acts as Gaganov's second in the duel?
(c) Mr. Lemke.
(d) Mr. Drozdov.
13. What is Peter predicting in the time after the confrontation at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) That he will incite riots and protests.
(b) That he will bomb a prominent government location.
(c) That Nicholas will be killed.
(d) That Nicholas will kill Shatov.
14. When does Part II, Chapter 3 begin?
(a) A week after the confrontation at Mrs. Stavrogin's house.
(b) The day of the uprising.
(c) The day of the duel between Stavrogin and Gaganov.
(d) The day after the duel between Stavrogin and Gaganov.
15. What has Peter Verkhovensky been doing in the week since the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
(a) Spreading rumors about what took place there.
(b) Plotting to kill Stavrogin.
(c) Defending Nicholas Stavrogin's reputation.
(d) Defending Miss Lebyatkin's reputation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Captain Lebyatkin's reputation?
2. How many shots does each duelist get to take?
3. What weapons do Stavrogin and Gaganov use for the duel?
4. What event results in an investigation that discovers radical literature?
5. What last-minute effort does Stavrogin make to avert the duel?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)