|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do we learn from Stavrogin's confrontation with Shatov?
(a) That Mary Lebyatkin is Stavrogin's sister.
(b) That Mary Lebyatkin is Stavrogin's half-sister.
(c) That Shatov is married to Lary Lebyatkin.
(d) That Stavrogin is married to Mary Lebyatkin.
2. Who punches Nicholas Stavrogin in the face?
(a) Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(d) Peter Verkhovensky.
3. What accusation does Mrs. Stavrogin make of Stepan Verkhovensky?
(a) She accuses him of stealing from her.
(b) She accuses him of having seduced Dasha.
(c) She accuses him of conspiring against the government.
(d) She accuses him of being a dilettante and a fraud.
4. What does Stavrogin tell Peter he is planning to do?
(a) Propose to Lisa Tushin.
(b) Leave for Paris.
(c) Start an uprising.
(d) Divorce Mary Lebyatkin.
5. How many paces separate the two duelists?
6. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
(a) Verkhovensky's father.
(b) Stavrogin's father.
(c) Shatov's father.
(d) Verkhovensky's son.
7. What happens on Stavrogin's third shot?
(a) Stavrogin hits Gaganov's second by mistake.
(b) Stavrogin shoots closer to Gaganov, but still shoots in the air.
(c) Stavrogin shoots into the ground at his feet.
(d) Stavrogin kills Gaganov.
8. Why does Stavrogin plan to duel Gaganov?
(a) Gaganov had threatened to take Mary Lebyatkin away from Stavrogin.
(b) Gaganov had threatened to evict Mrs. Stavrogin from her estate.
(c) Gaganov had been insulting Stavrogin.
(d) Gaganov's father had been an enemy of Stavrogin's father's.
9. What are Mrs. Lembke's social aspirations?
(a) She wants to be accepted into Mrs. Stavrogin's society.
(b) She wants to pass for an ordinary Russian.
(c) She wants to know Captain and Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) She wants to be accepted in the highest rank of society.
10. What is Gaganov's response to Kirilov?
(a) He insults Kirilov and offered to duel with him as well.
(b) He refuses the offer of money.
(c) He calls off the duel.
(d) He refuses to accept the apology.
11. Who acts as Gaganov's second in the duel?
(a) Mr. Lemke.
(d) Mr. Drozdov.
12. What does Mrs. Stavrogin ask her son when he arrives?
(a) Whether he is leaving her all alone.
(b) Whether he has fought a duel.
(c) Whether he is married to Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) Whether he has any new gambling debts.
13. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
(a) Stepan Verkhovensky and Lisa Tushin.
(b) Peter Verkhovensky and Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) Mary Lebyatkin and Mrs. Drozdov.
(d) Shatov and Liputin.
14. What is Nicholas Stavrogin like as a military officer?
(a) He is a brave soldier.
(b) He is a deserter.
(c) He is a bully.
(d) He is a respected leader.
15. What venture does Lisa approach Shatov for help with?
(a) Getting herself out of debt so she can buy a cottage.
(b) Finding a husband for her and a father for her girls.
(c) Publishing a yearly compendium of articles.
(d) Finding a job for her son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mrs. Lembke bestows her favors in spite of what?
2. What did Nicholas think of Mary Lebyatkin after he got to know her?
3. What is Stepan's impression of the confrontation that took place at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
4. What happened to the money that Nicholas gives to Captain Lebyatkin for Mary?
5. Where did Nicholas meet Captain Lebyatkin?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)