|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Liputin?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin's son's friend.
(b) A student of Verkhovensky's.
(c) A local banker.
(d) A liberal official.
2. When does Part II, Chapter 3 begin?
(a) A week after the confrontation at Mrs. Stavrogin's house.
(b) The day of the duel between Stavrogin and Gaganov.
(c) The day of the uprising.
(d) The day after the duel between Stavrogin and Gaganov.
3. Who is Nicholas Stavrogin's tutor?
4. What does Nicholas ask his servant to help him do after Peter leaves?
(a) To pay off some of his debts.
(b) To steal money from his mother.
(c) To leave the house without his mother knowing.
(d) To convey his marriage proposal to Mary Lebyatkin.
5. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) She wants to know what Shatov knows about Lebyatkin.
(b) She wants to know who she can borrow money from.
(c) She wants to know when her son is coming back home.
(d) She wants to know whether her son's name has been sullied.
6. What weapons do Stavrogin and Gaganov use for the duel?
7. What is Gaganov's response to Kirilov?
(a) He refuses the offer of money.
(b) He refuses to accept the apology.
(c) He insults Kirilov and offered to duel with him as well.
(d) He calls off the duel.
8. How many shots does each duelist get to take?
9. What does Mrs. Stavrogin ask her son when he arrives?
(a) Whether he has any new gambling debts.
(b) Whether he has fought a duel.
(c) Whether he is leaving her all alone.
(d) Whether he is married to Mary Lebyatkin.
10. How does the Verkhovensky circle feel about Nicholas Stavrogin?
(a) They are afraid of his temper.
(b) They mock him for his pretentiousness.
(c) They are impressed with his wealth.
(d) They admire his charisma.
11. Where were Captain Lebyatin and his sister living when Nicholas met them?
(a) With Peter Verkhovensky.
(b) In their family's estate.
(c) With Mrs. Stavrogin.
(d) On the streets.
12. Who will be speaking at Mrs. Lembke's fête?
(b) Peter Verhovensky.
(c) Karmazinov and Stepan Verkhovensky.
13. Who is Kirilov?
(a) A local official and former political prisoner.
(b) A friend of Peter Verkhovensky and Nicholas Stavrogin's.
(c) A political agitator from Moscow.
(d) A friend of Shatov's and Mrs. Stavrogin's neighbor.
14. Who has been in hiding for the week after the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(b) Captain Lebyatkin and his sister.
(d) Shatov and Nicholas Stavrogin.
15. What is Mr. Lembke's professional background?
(a) He was a lawyer before becoming a politician.
(b) He was a novelist before he became a lawyer.
(c) He wrote a novel that was rejected by a magazine.
(d) He was a soldier before entering the government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lebyatkin ask Lisa in a letter?
2. Whose influence has Mr. Lembke come under?
3. How does Stavrogin respond to Kirilov's belief?
4. Why is Nicholas Stavrogin demoted?
5. What imputation does Liputin make about Nicholas Stavrogin in his conversation with Kerkhovensky?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)