|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Lembke's professional background?
(a) He was a novelist before he became a lawyer.
(b) He was a lawyer before becoming a politician.
(c) He wrote a novel that was rejected by a magazine.
(d) He was a soldier before entering the government.
2. Who punches Nicholas Stavrogin in the face?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(c) Peter Verkhovensky.
(d) Captain Lebyatkin.
3. How does Mrs. Lembke participate in Peter's plans?
(a) She gives him money, out of a sentimental desire to help the poor.
(b) She allows them to proceed unwittingly, through her lack of sense.
(c) She is swindled by Peter out of naivete.
(d) She helps him deliberately, out of resentment of the rich.
4. What was Nicholas' first impression of Mary Lebyatkin?
(a) He thought she was corrupt but beautiful.
(b) He fell in love with her.
(c) He thought she was an angel.
(d) He took no notice of her.
5. Where were Captain Lebyatin and his sister living when Nicholas met them?
(a) With Peter Verkhovensky.
(b) On the streets.
(c) In their family's estate.
(d) With Mrs. Stavrogin.
6. Who is Mrs. Lembke hosting in her salon?
(a) Local writers and artists.
(b) The local youth.
(c) The local elite.
(d) Visiting dignitaries.
7. What do we learn from Stavrogin's confrontation with Shatov?
(a) That Shatov is married to Lary Lebyatkin.
(b) That Mary Lebyatkin is Stavrogin's sister.
(c) That Mary Lebyatkin is Stavrogin's half-sister.
(d) That Stavrogin is married to Mary Lebyatkin.
8. What does Nicholas ask his servant to help him do after Peter leaves?
(a) To convey his marriage proposal to Mary Lebyatkin.
(b) To leave the house without his mother knowing.
(c) To steal money from his mother.
(d) To pay off some of his debts.
9. Who is Virginsky?
(a) A local official.
(b) A student of Verkhovensky's.
(c) A radical agitator.
(d) A professor at the university.
10. How does the Verkhovensky circle feel about Nicholas Stavrogin?
(a) They are afraid of his temper.
(b) They admire his charisma.
(c) They are impressed with his wealth.
(d) They mock him for his pretentiousness.
11. How are Mrs. Stavrogin's views changing as time goes on?
(a) She is becoming more fearful and reactionary.
(b) She is becoming more reserved and conservative.
(c) She is becoming more prophetic and visionary.
(d) She is becoming more utilitarian and modern.
12. Who is Mr. Lembke?
(a) A German member of the elite.
(b) Captain Lebyatkin's brother-in-law.
(c) A judge in the district where Stavrogin dueled.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin's lawyer.
13. How many shots does each duelist get to take?
14. How does Chapter 5 begin?
(a) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Nicholas Stavrogin and Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) With a declaration of love between Mrs. Stavrogin and Lebyatkin.
(c) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Lisa, Miss Lebyatkin and Verkhovensky, Shatov, and the narrator.
(d) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Virginsky and Dasha.
15. How has Shatov prepared to defend himself against Stavrogin?
(a) He hid himself.
(b) He prayed.
(c) He bought a revolver.
(d) He hired bodyguards.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stepan Verkhovensky agitated about at the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
3. In whose house is Peter spreading rumors in the days before the fête?
4. Whom does Mrs. Lembke befriend?
5. What is Gaganov's response to Kirilov?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)