|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Lembke participate in Peter's plans?
(a) She is swindled by Peter out of naivete.
(b) She gives him money, out of a sentimental desire to help the poor.
(c) She helps him deliberately, out of resentment of the rich.
(d) She allows them to proceed unwittingly, through her lack of sense.
2. How are the youth of the town behaving at the time of the fête?
(a) They are running wild.
(b) They are wildly enthusiastic about the upcoming elections.
(c) They are dutifully enlisting for the military.
(d) They are collecting money for the poor.
3. What does Stepan think about marriage?
(a) He thinks it is every man's duty.
(b) He misses being married.
(c) He thinks it will corrupt him.
(d) He thinks it is an outdated institution.
4. What is Mrs. Stavrogin's feeling about the fête?
(a) She is appalled that people would come for Mrs. Lembke.
(b) She envies Mrs. Lembke.
(c) She is co-sponsoring the fête.
(d) She is helping Mrs. Lembke.
5. What event results in an investigation that discovers radical literature?
(a) An attack on a general's wife.
(b) The publication of a radical poem.
(c) A flood in a mine.
(d) A cholera outbreak at a factory.
6. What plan does Mrs. Stavrogin make for Verhovensky?
(a) She asks him to bring her son home.
(b) She asks him to tutor her son.
(c) She asks him to marry Dasha.
(d) She sends her Verkhovensky to get her son from prison.
7. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
(b) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(c) Mary Lebyatkin.
8. Who is Shatov?
(a) A banker from Moscow.
(b) A local doctor.
(c) A former student of Verkhovensky's.
(d) A local official.
9. Who is Mr. Lembke?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin's lawyer.
(b) A judge in the district where Stavrogin dueled.
(c) Captain Lebyatkin's brother-in-law.
(d) A German member of the elite.
10. Whom does Nicholas visit in Part II, Chapter 2?
(a) The local constabulary.
(b) Shatov and Kirilov.
(c) Captain and Miss Lebyatkin.
(d) His mother.
11. What injury is inflicted during the duel?
(a) No injuries are inflicted.
(b) Gaganov seriously wounds Stavrogin.
(c) Stavrogin is wounded on the finger.
(d) Stavrogin kills Gaganov.
12. Who is Virginsky?
(a) A student of Verkhovensky's.
(b) A local official.
(c) A professor at the university.
(d) A radical agitator.
13. What last-minute effort does Stavrogin make to avert the duel?
(a) He offers to leave the country.
(b) He offers even more money.
(c) He apologizes once again.
(d) He threatens to kill Gaganov's entire family.
14. What accusation does Mrs. Stavrogin make of Stepan Verkhovensky?
(a) She accuses him of being a dilettante and a fraud.
(b) She accuses him of having seduced Dasha.
(c) She accuses him of stealing from her.
(d) She accuses him of conspiring against the government.
15. Who is Mrs. Lembke hosting in her salon?
(a) The local elite.
(b) The local youth.
(c) Local writers and artists.
(d) Visiting dignitaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stavrogin ask her son when he arrives?
2. Who throws Stepan Verkhovensky out of the conversation?
3. What does Stavrogin do when it is his turn to shoot?
4. Who is Lisa Tushin?
5. What is Julia Lembke's hope for the children?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)