|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholas ask his servant to help him do after Peter leaves?
(a) To leave the house without his mother knowing.
(b) To pay off some of his debts.
(c) To convey his marriage proposal to Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) To steal money from his mother.
2. Why does Stavrogin plan to duel Gaganov?
(a) Gaganov had threatened to evict Mrs. Stavrogin from her estate.
(b) Gaganov's father had been an enemy of Stavrogin's father's.
(c) Gaganov had been insulting Stavrogin.
(d) Gaganov had threatened to take Mary Lebyatkin away from Stavrogin.
3. Why is Nicholas Stavrogin demoted?
(a) Because of insubordination.
(b) Because of his gambling debts.
(c) Because he fought a duel.
(d) Because he stole from another officer.
4. Where did Nicholas meet Captain Lebyatkin?
(a) St. Petersburg.
5. In what way do Virginsky and Shatov resemble one another?
(a) They are both young.
(b) They are both artists.
(c) They are both liberals.
(d) They are both conseratives.
6. What would normally happen to youth who behave as these youth are behaving?
(a) They would be rewarded with status in the church.
(b) They would be sacrificed for the country in war.
(c) They would work for the candidate who won.
(d) They would be sent to Siberia.
7. Mrs. Lembke bestows her favors in spite of what?
(a) The jokes the local writers make at her expense.
(b) The degeneration of the youths' behavior.
(c) The insults she receives from the local elite.
(d) Her ignorance of all diplomatic matters.
8. How does Nicholas Stavrogin answer his mother's question?
(a) He answers yes.
(b) He does not answer.
(c) He answers her with a question about her own plans.
(d) He says no.
9. What is Kirilov's involvement in Stavrogin's plan?
(a) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to convey messages to Gaganov's daughter.
(b) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to distract Gaganov.
(c) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to be his second.
(d) Stavrogin asks Kirilov to plant incriminating evidence.
10. Why does Nicholas treat Miss Lebyatkin so well?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin says it was because her son was rebellious.
(b) Peter says it was because of the 'demon of irony' in him.
(c) Nicholas says it was because he was in love.
(d) Captain Lebyatkin says it was because Nicholas is sentimental and stupid.
11. What is Nicholas' relationship with Dasha, according to Liputin?
(a) Nicholas owed her brother money.
(b) Nicholas had redeemed her from prison.
(c) Nicholas had fought a duel over her.
(d) Nicholas seduced her in Moscow.
12. What does Stavrogin do when it is his turn to shoot?
(a) Aims for Gaganov's heart but misses.
(b) Shoots Gaganov in the eye.
(c) Shoots in the air.
(d) Hits Gaganov's finger.
13. How are the youth of the town behaving at the time of the fête?
(a) They are collecting money for the poor.
(b) They are dutifully enlisting for the military.
(c) They are running wild.
(d) They are wildly enthusiastic about the upcoming elections.
14. What is Peter planning throughout Part II of The Possessed?
(a) An uprising.
(b) To leave for Moscow.
(c) Marry Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) To kill Shatov and Liputin.
15. What weapons do Stavrogin and Gaganov use for the duel?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Nicholas Stavrogin kill a man?
2. In whose house is Peter spreading rumors in the days before the fête?
3. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
4. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's employment?
5. What happened to the money that Nicholas gives to Captain Lebyatkin for Mary?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)