|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Chapter 7, Stepan Verkhovensky's Last Pilgrimage and Chapter 8, Conclusion.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How has Shatov prepared to defend himself against Stavrogin?
(a) He bought a revolver.
(b) He hid himself.
(c) He hired bodyguards.
(d) He prayed.
2. What accusation does Mrs. Stavrogin make of Stepan Verkhovensky?
(a) She accuses him of having seduced Dasha.
(b) She accuses him of stealing from her.
(c) She accuses him of conspiring against the government.
(d) She accuses him of being a dilettante and a fraud.
3. What do the police take from Peter Verkhovensky's house?
(a) Papers and books.
(b) Radical anarchists.
4. What does Dostoevsky seem to believe is the problem with Russia?
(a) It is ripe for a revolution but incapable of emerging from one.
(b) It is poisoned by its peasant spirituality.
(c) It is both attracted to and repulsed by industrial modernism.
(d) It is held back by its feudal past.
5. Why does Nicholas treat Miss Lebyatkin so well?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin says it was because her son was rebellious.
(b) Peter says it was because of the 'demon of irony' in him.
(c) Nicholas says it was because he was in love.
(d) Captain Lebyatkin says it was because Nicholas is sentimental and stupid.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Virginsky say to the radicals after Shatov's wife gives birth?
2. Who alone knows the purpose of the meeting at Virginsky's house?
3. What is Julia Lembke's hope for the children?
4. What event results in an investigation that discovers radical literature?
5. Whom does Lisa find after she leaves Stavrogin's?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)