|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Chapter 7, Stepan Verkhovensky's Last Pilgrimage and Chapter 8, Conclusion.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does the narrator have for visiting Lembke?
(a) He wants to know why he is being searched.
(b) He wants to arrange to get out of the country.
(c) He wants to testify against Peter Verkhovensky.
(d) He wants to prevent Stepan Verkhovensky from doing anything silly.
2. Why is The Possessed an inaccurate transposition of the story of the swine in Luke?
(a) Russia's tumultuous revolution dwarfs the revolutionary action of the novel.
(b) The devils are more destructive in the story, and also more difficult to control.
(c) The devils that haunt Russia are not as easy to cast out as Peter and his radicals.
(d) The devils reside in the human heart, and can never be cast out completely.
3. How has public opinion shifted on the eve of the fête?
(a) The people are now in favor of change.
(b) The workers are anxious to disrupt the fête.
(c) It is now against Mrs. Lembke.
(d) The agitators have succeeded in turning the crowds against the government.
4. Who is Mrs. Lembke hosting in her salon?
(a) Local writers and artists.
(b) The local elite.
(c) Visiting dignitaries.
(d) The local youth.
5. What outrageous act does a local lieutenant commit?
(a) He refuses to go to the Crimea with his regiment.
(b) He kills himself and his fellow officers.
(c) He bites his general's ear.
(d) He seduces a general's wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lisa Tushin killed?
2. Who throws Stepan Verkhovensky out of the conversation?
3. Whom does Lisa find after she leaves Stavrogin's?
4. What effect does the birth of Shatov's child have on him?
5. Who is Shatov?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)