|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II, Chapter 9, Stepan Verkhovensky is Raided and Chapter 10, Filibusters, A Fateful Morning.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Verkhovensky circle feel about Nicholas Stavrogin?
(a) They are afraid of his temper.
(b) They mock him for his pretentiousness.
(c) They are impressed with his wealth.
(d) They admire his charisma.
2. Who is Kirilov?
(a) A local official and former political prisoner.
(b) A friend of Shatov's and Mrs. Stavrogin's neighbor.
(c) A political agitator from Moscow.
(d) A friend of Peter Verkhovensky and Nicholas Stavrogin's.
3. What is Mrs. Stavrogin's feeling about the fête?
(a) She envies Mrs. Lembke.
(b) She is helping Mrs. Lembke.
(c) She is co-sponsoring the fête.
(d) She is appalled that people would come for Mrs. Lembke.
4. Why does Stavrogin plan to duel Gaganov?
(a) Gaganov had threatened to take Mary Lebyatkin away from Stavrogin.
(b) Gaganov had threatened to evict Mrs. Stavrogin from her estate.
(c) Gaganov's father had been an enemy of Stavrogin's father's.
(d) Gaganov had been insulting Stavrogin.
5. Who has been in hiding for the week after the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(b) Captain Lebyatkin and his sister.
(d) Shatov and Nicholas Stavrogin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were Captain Lebyatin and his sister living when Nicholas met them?
2. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
3. What is Stepan and Peter Verkhovensky's relationship like?
4. What is Verkhovensky's status in Moscow and St. Petersburg society?
5. Where is The Possessed set?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)