|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II, Chapter 9, Stepan Verkhovensky is Raided and Chapter 10, Filibusters, A Fateful Morning.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Nicholas Stavrogin demoted?
(a) Because of insubordination.
(b) Because he stole from another officer.
(c) Because he fought a duel.
(d) Because of his gambling debts.
2. What do we find out about Dasha after the duel?
(a) She is leaving with Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) She loves Stavrogin.
(c) She is dying.
(d) She is pregnant.
3. How are the youth of the town behaving at the time of the fête?
(a) They are wildly enthusiastic about the upcoming elections.
(b) They are dutifully enlisting for the military.
(c) They are collecting money for the poor.
(d) They are running wild.
4. Why does Lisa approach Shatov?
(a) She wants him to lend her money.
(b) She wants him to write a letter to her son.
(c) She wants him to find her a husband.
(d) She wants him to join a business venture.
5. How does Chapter 5 begin?
(a) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Nicholas Stavrogin and Captain Lebyatkin.
(b) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Virginsky and Dasha.
(c) With a declaration of love between Mrs. Stavrogin and Lebyatkin.
(d) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Lisa, Miss Lebyatkin and Verkhovensky, Shatov, and the narrator.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
2. In whose house is Peter spreading rumors in the days before the fête?
3. What is Stepan's impression of the confrontation that took place at Mrs. Stavrogin's house?
4. Why has Gaganov been insulting Stavrogin?
5. What reason does the narrator have for visiting Lembke?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)