|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II, Chapter 9, Stepan Verkhovensky is Raided and Chapter 10, Filibusters, A Fateful Morning.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the money that Nicholas gives to Captain Lebyatkin for Mary?
(a) The Captain got a house for himself and his sister.
(b) The Captain left Mary alone and went to Moscow.
(c) The Captain got Mary the medication she needed.
(d) The Captain spent it on drink.
2. What does Liputin answer Stepan when Stepan asks him questions at their meeting?
(a) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin asked him if he thought Nicholas was mad.
(b) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just been diagnosed with a fatal illness.
(c) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just paid all her son's gambling debts.
(d) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had tried to arrange for Nicholas to marry Dasha.
3. Why does Nicholas treat Miss Lebyatkin so well?
(a) Peter says it was because of the 'demon of irony' in him.
(b) Nicholas says it was because he was in love.
(c) Mrs. Stavrogin says it was because her son was rebellious.
(d) Captain Lebyatkin says it was because Nicholas is sentimental and stupid.
4. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) She wants to know who she can borrow money from.
(b) She wants to know what Shatov knows about Lebyatkin.
(c) She wants to know when her son is coming back home.
(d) She wants to know whether her son's name has been sullied.
5. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
(a) Mary Lebyatkin and Mrs. Drozdov.
(b) Shatov and Liputin.
(c) Stepan Verkhovensky and Lisa Tushin.
(d) Peter Verkhovensky and Captain Lebyatkin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Gaganov been insulting Stavrogin?
2. What event results in an investigation that discovers radical literature?
3. Who has been in hiding for the week after the confrontations at Mrs. Stavrogin's?
4. Who is Kirilov?
5. How does Stepan Verkhovensky react to the search of Peter's house?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)