|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapter 5, The Wise Serpent.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
(a) Stavrogin's father.
(b) Verkhovensky's father.
(c) Shatov's father.
(d) Verkhovensky's son.
2. In what way do Virginsky and Shatov resemble one another?
(a) They are both conseratives.
(b) They are both young.
(c) They are both liberals.
(d) They are both artists.
3. What imputation does Liputin make about Nicholas Stavrogin in his conversation with Kerkhovensky?
(a) That Nicholas is a radical agitator.
(b) That Nicholas is mad.
(c) That Nicholas is dying.
(d) That Nicholas is disreputable.
4. How does the Verkhovensky circle feel about Nicholas Stavrogin?
(a) They are impressed with his wealth.
(b) They mock him for his pretentiousness.
(c) They are afraid of his temper.
(d) They admire his charisma.
5. Why did Nicholas initially take an interest in Captain Lebyatkin?
(a) He wanted to help Peter's friends.
(b) He found his buffoonish behavior amusing.
(c) He found his poverty heartbreaking.
(d) He was impressed by his opulence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the money that Nicholas gives to Captain Lebyatkin for Mary?
2. What does Peter ask his father in front of the group?
3. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
4. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's relationship with Mrs. Stavrogin?
5. Why is Nicholas Stavrogin demoted?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)