|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapter 5, The Wise Serpent.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Stepan and Peter Verkhovensky's relationship like?
(a) They have been estranged.
(b) They have been closer ever since Stepah fled to the provinces.
(c) They have been in touch as Peter traveled.
(d) They have become mortal enemies.
2. What imputation does Liputin make about Nicholas Stavrogin in his conversation with Kerkhovensky?
(a) That Nicholas is disreputable.
(b) That Nicholas is a radical agitator.
(c) That Nicholas is mad.
(d) That Nicholas is dying.
3. What is Nicholas Stavrogin like as a military officer?
(a) He is a brave soldier.
(b) He is a bully.
(c) He is a deserter.
(d) He is a respected leader.
4. Who is Kirilov?
(a) A local official and former political prisoner.
(b) A political agitator from Moscow.
(c) A friend of Peter Verkhovensky and Nicholas Stavrogin's.
(d) A friend of Shatov's and Mrs. Stavrogin's neighbor.
5. What is Captain Lebyatkin's reputation?
(a) He is said to gamble and corrupt young women.
(b) He is said to have killed a man.
(c) He is said to drink and beat his sister.
(d) He is said to be honest and upstanding.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Verkhovensky's status in Moscow and St. Petersburg society?
2. How does Nicholas Stavrogin answer his mother's question?
3. Who does Lebyatkin live with?
4. Why did Nicholas initially take an interest in Captain Lebyatkin?
5. With whom does Nicholas Stavrogin leave from his conversation with his mother?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)