|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapter 5, The Wise Serpent.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Nicholas Stavrogin react to his demotion?
(a) He quits the army.
(b) He works his way back to his rank.
(c) His gambling gets even worse.
(d) He keeps fighting duels.
2. What does Mrs. Stavrogin ask her son when he arrives?
(a) Whether he has fought a duel.
(b) Whether he is leaving her all alone.
(c) Whether he is married to Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) Whether he has any new gambling debts.
3. What does Stepan ask Liputin about at their meeting?
(a) Dasha's former engagements.
(b) Nicholas Stavrogin's political opinions.
(c) Liputin's encounters with Mrs. Stavrogin.
(d) Peter Verkhovensky's studies.
4. What is Verkhovensky ashamed of?
(a) He is ashamed of Mrs. Stavrogin's control over his liberty.
(b) He is ashamed of his students' mediocre performance at university.
(c) He is ashamed of Dasha's ignorance and lack of good sense.
(d) He is ashamed of being asked to marry Dasha to hide her past.
5. Who does Lebyatkin live with?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin.
(b) Peter Verkhovensky.
(d) His sister, Shatov and Kirlov.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nicholas treat Miss Lebyatkin so well?
2. What is Nicholas' relationship with Dasha, according to Liputin?
3. What was Nicholas' first impression of Mary Lebyatkin?
4. What is Captain Lebyatkin's reputation?
5. Who throws Stepan Verkhovensky out of the conversation?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)