|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapter 5, The Wise Serpent.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Nicholas treat Miss Lebyatkin so well?
(a) Mrs. Stavrogin says it was because her son was rebellious.
(b) Captain Lebyatkin says it was because Nicholas is sentimental and stupid.
(c) Nicholas says it was because he was in love.
(d) Peter says it was because of the 'demon of irony' in him.
2. What was Nicholas' first impression of Mary Lebyatkin?
(a) He fell in love with her.
(b) He took no notice of her.
(c) He thought she was corrupt but beautiful.
(d) He thought she was an angel.
3. Whom does Mrs. Stavrogin invite into the conversation that starts Chapter 5?
(b) Lisa Tushin.
(c) Dasha and the Drozdovs.
(d) Nicholas and Dasha.
4. How does Chapter 5 begin?
(a) With a declaration of love between Mrs. Stavrogin and Lebyatkin.
(b) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Virginsky and Dasha.
(c) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Nicholas Stavrogin and Captain Lebyatkin.
(d) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Lisa, Miss Lebyatkin and Verkhovensky, Shatov, and the narrator.
5. Where does Verkhovensky hear that the rumor he heard about Dasha is true?
(a) From Shatov.
(b) From Liputin and a friend of Peter's.
(c) From Dasha and Mrs. Stavrogin.
(d) From Lebyatkin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
2. What was Captain Lebyatkin's relationship with Nicholas Stavrogin in Moscow?
3. What is Verkhovensky ashamed of?
4. What does Peter ask his father in front of the group?
5. Where were Captain Lebyatin and his sister living when Nicholas met them?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)