|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapter 5, The Wise Serpent.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Captain Lebyatkin's reputation?
(a) He is said to be honest and upstanding.
(b) He is said to gamble and corrupt young women.
(c) He is said to have killed a man.
(d) He is said to drink and beat his sister.
2. Why does Nicholas treat Miss Lebyatkin so well?
(a) Captain Lebyatkin says it was because Nicholas is sentimental and stupid.
(b) Nicholas says it was because he was in love.
(c) Peter says it was because of the 'demon of irony' in him.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin says it was because her son was rebellious.
3. What does Stepan think about marriage?
(a) He thinks it is every man's duty.
(b) He misses being married.
(c) He thinks it will corrupt him.
(d) He thinks it is an outdated institution.
4. What venture does Lisa approach Shatov for help with?
(a) Getting herself out of debt so she can buy a cottage.
(b) Finding a husband for her and a father for her girls.
(c) Finding a job for her son.
(d) Publishing a yearly compendium of articles.
5. What does Lebyatkin ask Lisa in a letter?
(a) He asks her to marry him.
(b) He asks her for money.
(c) He asks her to send the money she owes him.
(d) He asks her to work for him in his house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What imputation does Liputin make about Nicholas Stavrogin in his conversation with Kerkhovensky?
2. What is Verkhovensky ashamed of?
3. Who is Nicholas Stavrogin's tutor?
4. Who throws Stepan Verkhovensky out of the conversation?
5. What is Stepan Verkhovensky agitated about at the beginning of Chapter 3?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)