|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapter 5, The Wise Serpent.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives when Peter has just finished relating the story of Nicholas' devotion to Miss Lebyatkin?
(a) Mary Lebyatkin.
(d) Mrs. Stavrogin.
2. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
(a) Shatov's father.
(b) Verkhovensky's son.
(c) Verkhovensky's father.
(d) Stavrogin's father.
3. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
(a) She wants to know when her son is coming back home.
(b) She wants to know whether her son's name has been sullied.
(c) She wants to know what Shatov knows about Lebyatkin.
(d) She wants to know who she can borrow money from.
4. Where were Captain Lebyatin and his sister living when Nicholas met them?
(a) On the streets.
(b) In their family's estate.
(c) With Peter Verkhovensky.
(d) With Mrs. Stavrogin.
5. What did Nicholas think of Mary Lebyatkin after he got to know her?
(a) He thought she was secretly malicious.
(b) He thought she was better than anyone he knew.
(c) He thought she was unredeemably lost.
(d) He thought she was a tease.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lisa approach Shatov?
2. What is Verkhovensky's status in Moscow and St. Petersburg society?
3. What are Shatov's political views?
4. What is Verkhovensky ashamed of?
5. Who is Liputin?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)