|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapter 3, Another Man's Sins and Chapter 4, The Cripple.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Nicholas Stavrogin demoted?
(a) Because he fought a duel.
(b) Because of his gambling debts.
(c) Because of insubordination.
(d) Because he stole from another officer.
2. Who is Shatov?
(a) A banker from Moscow.
(b) A former student of Verkhovensky's.
(c) A local official.
(d) A local doctor.
3. What is Stepan Verkhovensky agitated about at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) His wife's pregnancy.
(b) His father's return.
(c) His son's debts.
(d) Marriage to Dasha.
4. Who is Lisa Tushin?
(a) A neighbor of Mrs. Stavrogin's.
(b) A schoolmistress in St. Petersburg.
(c) A seamstress.
(d) A woman who had a relationship with Nicholas.
5. What does Liputin answer Stepan when Stepan asks him questions at their meeting?
(a) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin asked him if he thought Nicholas was mad.
(b) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just been diagnosed with a fatal illness.
(c) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had tried to arrange for Nicholas to marry Dasha.
(d) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just paid all her son's gambling debts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nicholas Stavrogin's tutor?
2. What is Captain Lebyatkin's reputation?
3. What was Captain Lebyatkin's relationship with Nicholas Stavrogin in Moscow?
4. Where is The Possessed set?
5. Who is on his way to visit at the end of the second chapter?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)