|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I, Chapter 5, The Wise Serpent.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Peter ask his father in front of the group?
(a) Whether he really intends to get Mrs. Stavrogin's money.
(b) Whether he wants him to save his father from Dasha.
(c) Whether Dasha was really seduced in Switzerland.
(d) Whether his father taught Nicholas Stavrogin how to treat women
2. What did Nicholas think of Mary Lebyatkin after he got to know her?
(a) He thought she was a tease.
(b) He thought she was unredeemably lost.
(c) He thought she was better than anyone he knew.
(d) He thought she was secretly malicious.
3. What does Liputin answer Stepan when Stepan asks him questions at their meeting?
(a) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin asked him if he thought Nicholas was mad.
(b) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just been diagnosed with a fatal illness.
(c) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just paid all her son's gambling debts.
(d) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had tried to arrange for Nicholas to marry Dasha.
4. Who is Lisa Tushin?
(a) A seamstress.
(b) A schoolmistress in St. Petersburg.
(c) A woman who had a relationship with Nicholas.
(d) A neighbor of Mrs. Stavrogin's.
5. What is Stepan and Peter Verkhovensky's relationship like?
(a) They have been closer ever since Stepah fled to the provinces.
(b) They have become mortal enemies.
(c) They have been estranged.
(d) They have been in touch as Peter traveled.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Verkhovensky ashamed of?
2. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's relationship with Mrs. Stavrogin?
3. What are Shatov's political views?
4. What is Stepan Verkhovensky agitated about at the beginning of Chapter 3?
5. Whom does Mrs. Stavrogin invite into the conversation that starts Chapter 5?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)