|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Chapter 3, The End of a Love Affair and Chapter 4, The Last Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Verkhovensky ashamed of?
(a) He is ashamed of his students' mediocre performance at university.
(b) He is ashamed of being asked to marry Dasha to hide her past.
(c) He is ashamed of Dasha's ignorance and lack of good sense.
(d) He is ashamed of Mrs. Stavrogin's control over his liberty.
2. What did Nicholas think of Mary Lebyatkin after he got to know her?
(a) He thought she was a tease.
(b) He thought she was better than anyone he knew.
(c) He thought she was unredeemably lost.
(d) He thought she was secretly malicious.
3. What does Blum say about the search at Peter Verkhovensky's?
(a) Shatov had tipped the police off.
(b) It was a mistake.
(c) The police found what they were looking for.
(d) Virginsky had testified that Peter was the leader of the radical group.
4. Why was it a mistake to charge a high price for the fête?
(a) The people who came wanted food.
(b) No one could afford to come.
(c) Expensive tickets excluded the writers.
(d) The people expected to be entertained.
5. What is the narrator's response to Stepan Verkhovensky's reaction to the search of Peter's house?
(a) He is determined to bring Peter to justice.
(b) He is intimidated.
(c) He is baffled.
(d) He is worried.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have Liputin and Fedka been doing at the Spigulin factory?
2. What does Nicholas ask his servant to help him do after Peter leaves?
3. What does Stavrogin want Fedka to do?
4. How does Chapter 5 begin?
5. What belief does Kirilov profess to Stavrogin?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)