|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II, Chapter 1, Night and Chapter 2, Night Continued.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Stepan Verkhovensky's employment?
(a) He is a local bureaucrat.
(b) He tutors Mrs. Stavrogin's son.
(c) He is an elected official.
(d) He is a social researcher.
2. What does Liputin answer Stepan when Stepan asks him questions at their meeting?
(a) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just been diagnosed with a fatal illness.
(b) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had just paid all her son's gambling debts.
(c) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin asked him if he thought Nicholas was mad.
(d) He tells Verkhovensky that Mrs. Stavrogin had tried to arrange for Nicholas to marry Dasha.
3. What is Stepan Verkhovensky agitated about at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Marriage to Dasha.
(b) His son's debts.
(c) His wife's pregnancy.
(d) His father's return.
4. How does Nicholas Stavrogin answer his mother's question?
(a) He answers yes.
(b) He answers her with a question about her own plans.
(c) He does not answer.
(d) He says no.
5. What is Nicholas' relationship with Dasha, according to Liputin?
(a) Nicholas seduced her in Moscow.
(b) Nicholas had redeemed her from prison.
(c) Nicholas had fought a duel over her.
(d) Nicholas owed her brother money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What plan does Mrs. Stavrogin make for Verhovensky?
2. Where is The Possessed set?
3. Who else arrives in Chapter 5 and takes part in Mrs. Stavrogin's conversation?
4. How does Stavrogin respond to Kirilov's belief?
5. What does Lebyatkin ask Lisa in a letter?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)