|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III, Chapter 1, The Fête, Part One and Chapter 2, The End of The Fête.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had some poor people done to prepare for the fête?
(a) Stolen money from Lembke.
(b) Broken into the banquet hall.
(c) Moved away to make room for Lembke's guests.
(d) Pawned their belongings to buy gowns.
2. What does Peter ask his father in front of the group?
(a) Whether his father taught Nicholas Stavrogin how to treat women
(b) Whether Dasha was really seduced in Switzerland.
(c) Whether he wants him to save his father from Dasha.
(d) Whether he really intends to get Mrs. Stavrogin's money.
3. How does Chapter 5 begin?
(a) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Lisa, Miss Lebyatkin and Verkhovensky, Shatov, and the narrator.
(b) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Nicholas Stavrogin and Captain Lebyatkin.
(c) With a confrontation between Mrs. Stavrogin, Virginsky and Dasha.
(d) With a declaration of love between Mrs. Stavrogin and Lebyatkin.
4. Why did Nicholas initially take an interest in Captain Lebyatkin?
(a) He found his poverty heartbreaking.
(b) He found his buffoonish behavior amusing.
(c) He was impressed by his opulence.
(d) He wanted to help Peter's friends.
5. What kind of speech does Stepan Verkhovensky give?
(a) A justification of revolutionary acts.
(b) A defense of high culture.
(c) An attack on materialism.
(d) A jeremiad against the people themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Peter allow into the fête?
2. What condition does Mrs. Lembke impose on people who want to come to her party?
3. What event results in an investigation that discovers radical literature?
4. What does Mrs. Stavrogin want to find out at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. What accusation does Mrs. Stavrogin make of Stepan Verkhovensky?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)