|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the narrator of "Guinevere At Her Fireside" say about the bravest man?
(a) He makes a noble king.
(b) He is cunning warrior.
(c) He cannot be trusted.
(d) He has the littlest brains.
2. What kind of horse does the narrator want to get?
(a) A cart horse.
(b) A black one.
(c) One with a blue eye.
(d) Just a little one.
3. In the story "New York to Detroit," Why does Jack suggest that Jean write him a letter?
(a) He likes to see her handwriting on paper.
(b) She always expresses herself so much better in writing.
(c) He does not like to talk on the telephone.
(d) The telephone connection is so bad that he cannot hear her.
4. What disturbing news does the narrator give to Mona?
(a) Mona will never find a man who will want to marry her.
(b) Garry has moved away to Chicago and does not plan to return.
(c) Garry is not out of town, but has been seen around town with another woman.
(d) Mona's doctor has been telling everyone about her "condition."
5. Who is Mrs. Hofstadter who lives on Josephine Street?
(a) Horace's first wife.
(b) The woman who leases the bungalow to the narrator and her husband.
(c) The woman who places Horace with the narrator.
(d) Horace's former employer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hazel ask Nettie to do for her after her suicide attempt?
2. What does the narrator wish for the girl in the poem "Story"?
3. Where would the narrator of "Distance" prefer to have her lover?
4. In "Autumn Valentine" what experience did the narrator have in May?
5. According to the poem " Two-Volume Novel," what has stopped the sun and moon from shining?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the resolution of "Big Blonde" illustrate that Hazel's troubles are recurrent cycle?
2. What explains Miss Wilmarth's "curious expression" in the short story "Horsie"?
3. How does Hazel Morse lose her own identity in her efforts to please others in the short story "Big Blonde"?
4. Compare the poems "Surprise," "On Being A Woman," and "Second Love." What do they have in common?
5. In "Mrs. Hofstadter on Josephine Street," how is Horace the exact opposite of what the narrator and her husband are looking for?
6. In the short story "The Last Tea," why does the girl brag about the evening that she had the night before?
7. In the poem "The Last Question," what is the purpose of the italicized lines?
8. Explain the allusions in the poem "Prayer for a New Mother."
9. Explain the allusions in the poem "Guinevere At Her Fireside."
10. Explain the irony in "Ninon de Lenclos, On Her Last Birthday."
This section contains 1,832 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)