|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Garry McVicker?
(a) The doctor who performed Mona's "procedure."
(b) Mona's servant who is looking after her.
(c) A man that the narrator would like Mona to meet.
(d) The man who left Mona for another woman.
2. According to the poem "Solace," why do people not worry over the broken stem of a rose?
(a) Roses do not feed a family.
(b) There are many other roses blooming.
(c) People are too busy to notice.
(d) Roses are not an important flower.
3. What does Hazel ask Nettie to do for her after her suicide attempt?
(a) To get the phone number of the doctor.
(b) To help her into a hot bath.
(c) To get her a drink.
(d) To throw out the rest of the pills and dump out the Scotch.
4. According to the poem "Wisdom," what is a path to misery?
5. According to the poem "Victoria," where is Albert's spirit never seen walking?
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time passes between the time that Horace leaves the narrator's home and the time that he calls the house?
2. What is the narrator's dilemma in the poem "Dilemma"?
3. Who does the narrator say she thinks she is after three highballs?
4. What three poets are the subject of "A Pig's-Eye View of Literature"?
5. What gift does the narrator give to the six soldiers as they leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the irony in "Ninon de Lenclos, On Her Last Birthday."
2. Compare the poems "Ultimatum" and "Requiescat." How are they similar?
3. In "Mrs. Hofstadter on Josephine Street," how is Horace the exact opposite of what the narrator and her husband are looking for?
4. What is the complaint that is raised in the poem "Penelope"?
5. Explain the allusions in the poem "Guinevere At Her Fireside."
6. What is the lesson behind the poem "Parable for a Certain Virgin"?
7. In the story, "Lady With a Lamp," what is Mona's illness?
8. How does the narrator of "Lady With a Lamp" make Mona feel worse rather than better?
9. In "Glory in the Daytime," how does Mrs. Murdock's visit with Lily Wynton change her perspective on her own life?
10. In the short story "The Last Tea," why does the girl brag about the evening that she had the night before?
This section contains 1,655 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)