|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "Salome's Dancing-Lesson," who does not need dance lessons?
(a) A woman who dances for a purpose.
(b) A woman who feels the music in her heart.
(c) A woman who is too old for dancing.
(d) A woman whose body is young and cool.
2. In "The Little Hours," what time does the narrator wake?
(a) 3:30 am.
(b) 4:20 am.
(c) 2:45 am.
(d) 5:15 am.
3. In "The Willow," during what month is the earth "sweet" and "young."
4. How do both Mrs. Weldon and Mr. Weldon feel about their apartment?
(a) Mrs. Weldon likes the apartment, but Mr. Weldon dislikes it.
(b) Both dislike the apartment, but they assume that the other likes it.
(c) Both like the apartment, but they assume that the other dislikes it.
(d) Mr. Weldon likes the apartment, but Mrs. Weldon dislikes it.
5. Where would the narrator of "Distance" prefer to have her lover?
(a) Just down the lane.
(b) On the other side of the world.
(c) In her own home.
(d) In her dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of horse does the narrator want to get?
2. What is the message behind the poem "Fable"?
3. According to "Ballade of Unfortunate Mammals," how are women and elephants alike?
4. Throughout their marriage, how many evenings have the Weldons experienced that are similar to the one described in "Too Bad"?
5. How is the narrator of "Sweet Violets" similar to the violets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of advice do the poems "Prologue to a Saga" and "The Lady's Reward" give to women?
2. In "Soldiers of the Republic," what does the narrator learn about the life of a soldier?
3. Explain the allusions in the poem "Guinevere At Her Fireside."
4. Describe the narrator's tone in the story "Just a Little One."
5. In the poem "The Last Question," what is the purpose of the italicized lines?
6. Compare the poems "Surprise," "On Being A Woman," and "Second Love." What do they have in common?
7. How does the resolution of "Big Blonde" illustrate that Hazel's troubles are recurrent cycle?
8. Compare the poems "Ultimatum" and "Requiescat." How are they similar?
9. In the story, "Lady With a Lamp," what is Mona's illness?
10. What is the cause of Mr. and Mrs. Weldon's divorce in the short story "Too Bad"?
This section contains 1,642 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)