|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has the Bains' son, Paul, been sent away?
(a) He was young and made too much noise for the Old Gentleman.
(b) Mrs. Whittaker sent him to college in another state.
(c) He had been caught stealing money from the Old Gentleman.
(d) He was a drunkard and could not be trusted.
2. What is the narrator's intent in the poem "Lullaby"?
(a) Put a fussy baby to sleep.
(b) Make a pretty woman fall asleep so that she can get the men herself.
(c) Sooth herself over a lost love.
(d) Quiet her lover so he will not ask about her betrayals.
3. In "The Leal," on what can the narrator rely?
(a) She has been true to herself even if she has offended some people.
(b) Her enemies will be faithful to her until the day she dies.
(c) Her true friends will always be by her side.
(d) Her art will always be good company.
4. What does the young man offer to go out and get for the girl in the the story "The Sexes"?
(a) A pack of gum.
(c) A fashion magazine.
5. How do Annabel and Midge react after learning the price of the necklace in the shop window?
(a) At first they are offended, but then they are dejected.
(b) At first they are horrified, but then they are angry.
(c) They angry with themselves.
(d) They are angry with one another.
6. What is the girl examining at the beginning of the story "The Sexes"?
(a) Her handkerchief.
(b) Her finger nails.
(c) Her reflection in the mirror.
(d) The design in the sofa pattern.
7. What color dress does Mimi buy for her husband's leave?
(d) Lemon yellow.
8. In "Social Note," what advice does the narrator give to women who are seduced by "discreet" men?
(a) Be discreet as well.
(b) Consider yourself lucky.
(d) Tell everyone.
9. In the poem "False Friends," during what month does the narrator's heart heal?
10. What reason does Annabel give to support her agreement with Midge that a pearl necklace is a good "purchase"?
(a) Pearls are classy.
(b) Pearls are more uncommon than mink.
(c) You can wear pearls with anything.
(d) Men respect a woman who wears pearls.
11. In the poem "Braggart," why does the narrator claim to be better off than her reader?
(a) She has learned to be happy without a lover.
(b) She knows how to make a man love her even if he is taken.
(c) She will die young and remain beautiful and young while others will grow old.
(d) She has lived a full life and loves herself more than any man.
12. How long is Mimi's husband supposed to have for leave in the story "The Lovely Leave"?
(a) One week.
(b) Forty-eight hours.
(c) Twenty-four hours.
(d) A whole weekend.
13. What is Mimi's husband most looking forward to during his short visit with her?
(a) A quiet conversation with his wife.
(b) A good home-cooked meal.
(c) A long, uninterrupted nap.
(d) A hot bath in a tub.
14. Who decided that the Old Gentleman should come to live with the Bains?
(a) The Old Gentleman.
(b) Mr. Bain.
(c) Mrs. Bain.
(d) Mrs. Whittaker.
15. What is Walter Williams' profession?
(a) He is a singer.
(b) He is an actor.
(c) He is a trumpet player.
(d) He is a painter.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "General Review of the Sex Situation," what is the biggest challenge that men and women face in their relationships?
2. What is the "rotten news" that Mimi's husband brings with him?
3. In the poem "Hearthside," what does the narrator dream of?
4. What message does the poem "Men" convey?
5. What does Mrs. Wyman want when she calls Mrs. Martindale?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)