|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what are the Bains and Mrs. Whittaker waiting?
(a) Their brother, Matt, to arrive.
(b) The Old Gentleman's return.
(c) The Old Gentleman's death.
(d) The Old Gentleman's doctor.
2. According to "General Review of the Sex Situation," what is the biggest challenge that men and women face in their relationships?
(a) Men and women want completely different things.
(b) Men and women do not talk openly with one another.
(c) Couples do what others expect them to do, not what they want.
(d) Couples often marry too early.
3. What kind of necklace do Annabel and Midge see in the window of the jewelry shop?
(a) A solid-gold, herringbone chain with a jewel-encrusted pendant.
(b) A double strand, pearl nacklace with an emerald clasp.
(c) A strand of black pearls with a diamond pendant.
(d) A velvet choker with a ruby-studded cameo.
4. How does Mr. Durant react to Rose's announcement that she will not return and does not want to see him again?
(a) He is amused and happy that he will not have to deal with her.
(b) He pleads with her to come back.
(c) He says he will miss her, but admits that it is the best decision.
(d) He is disappointed but understanding.
5. What message does the poem "Men" convey?
(a) Men try to understand women, but they never will.
(b) Men will claim to love a woman as she is, but then try to change her.
(c) Men may drive women crazy, but they still need each other.
(d) Men are only interested in a woman's outward appearance.
6. Who is Mrs. Corning?
(a) The young girl whose sewing mistake was ridiculed in public.
(b) The manager at headquarters who oversees the sewing work.
(c) Mrs. Martindale's neighbor who is looking for help for a friend.
(d) The only other faithful volunteer besides Mrs. Martindale.
7. How does Mrs. Whittaker react to the news of her father's death?
(a) She dries her eyes and asks to see him.
(b) She begins to weep passionately.
(c) She sighs and hugs her sister quietly.
(d) She stands up and announces that it really was the best thing.
8. In the poem "I Shall Come Back," from where will the narrator return?
(a) From her sorrow.
(b) From the grave.
(c) From the dream of love.
(d) From the forest.
9. How long has the Old Gentleman lived with the Bains?
(a) For almost ten years.
(b) Almost eight years.
(c) For about five years.
(d) For about five months.
10. How does the woman in "The Waltz" respond to the young man who asks her to dance?
(a) She accepts, but then mentally complains the whole time.
(b) She pretends that she is waiting for someone.
(c) She turns him down and then laughs about him after he leaves.
(d) She politely refuses and waits for another man to ask.
11. How long does it take the young man to get his luggage stored in the train compartment?
(a) Three minutes.
(b) Twelve minutes.
(c) Eight minutes.
(d) Eighteen minutes.
12. What is Mimi's husband most looking forward to during his short visit with her?
(a) A quiet conversation with his wife.
(b) A long, uninterrupted nap.
(c) A hot bath in a tub.
(d) A good home-cooked meal.
13. How does Mimi describe her husband's visit when her friend calls?
(a) It was frustrating, and she wished she could do it over.
(b) It was a disaster.
(c) It was short, but lovely.
(d) She cannot describe it because she is crying too much.
14. What does the young man offer to go out and get for the girl in the the story "The Sexes"?
(c) A fashion magazine.
(d) A pack of gum.
15. Where are the couple in the train car headed?
(a) Their honeymoon.
(b) Their wedding.
(c) Their wedding reception.
(d) Their new home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many different women have redecorated Hobie's apartment?
2. In the poem "Unfortunate Coincidence," what does the narrator have to say about love?
3. According to Mrs. Whittaker, why has the Old Gentleman left all of his money to her?
4. How long have Mr. and Mrs. Bain lived in their home?
5. According to the poem "Fighting Words," what would cause the narrator to desert her lover?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)