|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aristotle says that in tyranny, personal power, and which of the following, hold sway irrespective of the law.
2. Aristotle says that those greatest in virtue, regardless of all else, should do what?
3. In educating children, Aristotle believes in a certain amount of what?
4. Aristotle says there should be a court set up, specifically, to deal with what?
5. Aristotle says that there can be problems when more of the citizens are attracted to profit than to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the virtues related to the top positions in an oligarchy according to Aristotle?
2. According to Aristotle, how can a tyrannical move still be right?
3. How are kings and tyrants similar?
4. Why does Aristotle think that musical education is essential to the development of a citizen?
5. What is a representation issue where factions might occur?
6. For Aristotle, what does it mean to live in the manner of one's choosing?
7. What is a statement that describes the belief about equality in an oligarchy?
8. What is the purpose of a communal meal?
9. What kind of law does a good monarch adhere to?
10. Why does Aristotle think that political factions emerge?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Aristotle define equality? What does Aristotle think a city-state needs to do in order to establish equality? Does Aristotle think equality is good or bad for a city state? Use Aristotle's examples from the text in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is Aristotle's definition of the best state? What qualities does it have? What does it do? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
According to Aristotle, what is a philosopher and what is their role in a city-state?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)