|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aristotle says that factions emerge from a desire for what?
2. Oligarchies, according to Aristotle, believe that inequalities of wealth indicate what?
3. Aristotle thinks that the constitution of the Lacedaemonians is what?
4. Aristotle says that marriage needs to take what into account?
5. Unarmed and lightly armed combat is typically the preserve of whom, according to Aristotle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the characteristics of a sound man according to Aristotle?
2. What kind of law does a good monarch adhere to?
3. Why does Aristotle think that musical education is essential to the development of a citizen?
4. What is one way that Aristotle describes of how strife between economic classes can lead to a change in government?
5. What does Aristotle think about the vulnerability of monarchies to tyranny?
6. How does Aristotle define melodies?
7. What is the difference between play and leisure?
8. What is the sign of a healthy state for Aristotle?
9. How are kings and tyrants similar?
10. According to Aristotle, how can a tyrannical move still be right?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Aristotle concerned about the danger of power being abused? What are his recommendations for preventing the abuse of power in various situations?
Essay Topic 2
What is the virtue of a city-state for Aristotle? How is this similar to, or different from, what Aristotle believes is the virtue of a person? Support your answer with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Which does Aristotle like better: elections, lotteries, or appointments? Why? What are the positive and negatives of each? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)