|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aristotle says that women are taught to endure and dish out what, in their families, homes, and with other women?
2. Reason, habituation, and what, form a triplicate of forces available to every man?
3. Aristotle says that a move can be unpopular and tyrannical yet still what, if it was done for the common good?
4. Dionysus of Syracuse ruled on what island?
5. Aristotle posits that happiness rests on what, for its manifestation within the human life?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Aristotle, how should the curriculum for education of young children be chosen?
2. How does education support the government?
3. What does Aristotle mean when he says "taking turns at ruling?"
4. What are the virtues related to the top positions in an oligarchy according to Aristotle?
5. What is the difference between play and leisure?
6. Why does Aristotle think that political factions emerge?
7. What questions does Aristotle want answered about the courts in each state?
8. Why do oligarchs tend to come from the wealthy?
9. What is one way that Aristotle describes of how strife between economic classes can lead to a change in government?
10. What is the sign of a healthy state for Aristotle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the text to support your reasoning, explain what Aristotle thinks is the primary unit of society and what importance that unit has.
Essay Topic 2
According to Aristotle, what is a philosopher and what is their role in a city-state?
Essay Topic 3
Using Aristotle's examples, explain what he thinks a good ruler is and what system would be ideal for a good ruler, and why.
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)