|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aristotle believes that ensuring the division and inheritance of estates is a way to control wealth and what?
2. Aristotle wants people to cultivate the skill of playing instruments and what?
3. What is defined as things for rest and relaxation but does not make a good end in itself?
4. Aristotle says that democracies mistakenly assume that equality in one area means what?
5. Aristotle says that when the people are close to equal, the education system needs to be designed so that the ruled can do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What questions does Aristotle want answered about the courts in each state?
2. According to Aristotle, how can a tyrannical move still be right?
3. What is the difference between play and leisure?
4. What does Aristotle believe the relationship between virtue and prosperity is?
5. What does Aristotle think about the vulnerability of monarchies to tyranny?
6. What is one way that Aristotle describes of how strife between economic classes can lead to a change in government?
7. Why do oligarchs tend to come from the wealthy?
8. What is a representation issue where factions might occur?
9. What does Aristotle mean when he says "taking turns at ruling?"
10. What is a primary aspect of a tyrant's rule and how do they work to preserve their rule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the six kinds of constitutions Aristotle believes in and what are their consequences for the city-state? Use Aristotle's examples in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 2
According to Aristotle, what is the most important task of anyone in the role of "politician?" What are they supposed to do and how are they supposed to act? How is this linked to the purpose of the city-state? Support your answer with examples from Aristotle.
Essay Topic 3
Which does Aristotle like better: elections, lotteries, or appointments? Why? What are the positive and negatives of each? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)