|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dionysus of Syracuse ruled on what island?
2. In educating children, Aristotle believes in a certain amount of what?
3. Aristotle says that the Lacedaemonians have a form of communal care for the young, which is called what?
4. Unarmed and lightly armed combat is typically the preserve of whom, according to Aristotle?
5. Aristotle urges that kingship be granted on virtues of birth and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aristotle think about the vulnerability of monarchies to tyranny?
2. How does education support the government?
3. What is one way that Aristotle describes of how strife between economic classes can lead to a change in government?
4. According to Aristotle, how can a tyrannical move still be right?
5. What does Aristotle believe the relationship between virtue and prosperity is?
6. Why does Aristotle think that musical education is essential to the development of a citizen?
7. What is a statement that describes the belief about equality in an oligarchy?
8. What are the virtues related to the top positions in an oligarchy according to Aristotle?
9. What questions does Aristotle want answered about the courts in each state?
10. What is a representation issue where factions might occur?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which does Aristotle like better: elections, lotteries, or appointments? Why? What are the positive and negatives of each? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Aristotle concerned about the danger of power being abused? What are his recommendations for preventing the abuse of power in various situations?
Essay Topic 3
According to Aristotle, what is the most important task of anyone in the role of "politician?" What are they supposed to do and how are they supposed to act? How is this linked to the purpose of the city-state? Support your answer with examples from Aristotle.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)