|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old do people have to be to be on the Board of Elders?
2. Logging, gathering fruits, and using minerals are lumped under what term?
3. What is the name for a type of system that has leaders who are out of established lines of leaders?
4. Aristotle gives what name to the people who own crops and livestock?
5. Aristotle says that those who write constitutions are statesmen, philosophers and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does a correct constitution lead to a just society, according to Aristotle?
2. For Aristotle, what are the virtues that a slave or skilled craftsman should develop?
3. What is an aristocracy?
4. What happened to "The Politics" upon Aristotle's death?
5. What is one reason there are several introductions to this book?
6. What are the various levels of organization within a society?
7. What is an oligarchy?
8. What is one suggestion made about the distribution of property in a city-state?
9. What is the only motivation Aristotle allows for in placing someone above the law?
10. What does Aristotle believe will happen to a man who has high virtue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a regime according to Aristotle? How does a regime function? What are the specific characteristics of a democratic regime?
Essay Topic 2
What are Aristotle's 5 categories for the role of the state, and how does he justify the state being involved in each area? To what goal is the state involved? Cite Aristotle's work to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What is Aristotle's definition of the best state? What qualities does it have? What does it do? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)