|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aristotle divides the process of acquisition of goods into what number of means?
2. Where was Aristotle a citizen of?
3. Aristotle says that those who write constitutions are statesmen, philosophers and what?
4. What is the basic unit of society for Aristotle?
5. According to Aristotle, what is the form of government found in families?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Thales of Miletus?
2. For Aristotle, what are the virtues that a slave or skilled craftsman should develop?
3. What is the difference between a democracy and a polity?
4. What happened to "The Politics" upon Aristotle's death?
5. What is one reason there are several introductions to this book?
6. How, if there are problems with the father's leadership, will the son suffer throughout his life?
7. What are focal points in creating a constitution?
8. What is Aristotle's cure for limiting desires that reach beyond needs?
9. Who is Phaleas of Chalcedon?
10. Who are the guardians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to Aristotle, what leads to the overthrow of a government, and how can this be presented? Use Aristotle's examples to help explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Using Aristotle's examples, explain what he thinks a good ruler is and what system would be ideal for a good ruler, and why.
Essay Topic 3
Why is Aristotle concerned about the danger of power being abused? What are his recommendations for preventing the abuse of power in various situations?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)