|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aristotle says that the best form of constitution is one that contains elements of all the different types of government, and creates an analogy between the best constitution and what?
2. How many of the highest ranking officials do Plato and Aristotle thinks should be above the law?
3. Aristotle thinks that the craftsman who tries to make laws will do what?
4. There is an unconfirmed story that, at the time of his death, Aristotle's "Politics" was what?
5. Aristotle says that those who write constitutions are statesmen, philosophers and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Thales of Miletus?
2. What is an aristocracy?
3. What is an absolute monarch?
4. What did Plato feel about women and why?
5. How did Aristotle become famous in the modern world?
6. Why does Aristotle define the economic practices of the non-Greeks as exchange?
7. What happened to "The Politics" upon Aristotle's death?
8. How does Aristotle divide the process of acquiring goods?
9. What is the difference between a democracy and a polity?
10. For Aristotle, what are the virtues that a slave or skilled craftsman should develop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which does Aristotle like better: elections, lotteries, or appointments? Why? What are the positive and negatives of each? Cite examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is a regime according to Aristotle? How does a regime function? What are the specific characteristics of a democratic regime?
Essay Topic 3
According to Aristotle, what is a philosopher and what is their role in a city-state?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)