|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is an unconfirmed story that, at the time of his death, Aristotle's "Politics" was what?
2. Aristotle says that popular kings are protect by what?
3. A Sicilian who had a monopoly was forced out of Syracuse by whom?
4. The father-son relationship is intended to epitomize what relationship?
5. Aristotle believes that anyone who is found with exceptionally high virtue will be encouraged to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one suggestion made about the distribution of property in a city-state?
2. Aristotle says that age yields rank; what follows?
3. What is the story of Thales of Miletus?
4. What is an oligarchy?
5. What is one reason there are several introductions to this book?
6. What is an absolute monarch?
7. How, if there are problems with the father's leadership, will the son suffer throughout his life?
8. What does Aristotle believe will happen to a man who has high virtue?
9. What is Aristotle's cure for people who commit crimes because they need satiation and fulfillment of desires that go far beyond needs?
10. Who are the guardians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is fractionalization? How does it occur and how can it be prevented? Use Aristotle's ideas to explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Aristotle concerned about the danger of power being abused? What are his recommendations for preventing the abuse of power in various situations?
Essay Topic 3
According to Aristotle, what is the most important task of anyone in the role of "politician?" What are they supposed to do and how are they supposed to act? How is this linked to the purpose of the city-state? Support your answer with examples from Aristotle.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)