|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Aristotle posits that happiness rests on what, for its manifestation within the human life?
2. The Greeks called physical training what?
3. A system of what, according to Aristotle, is intended to help society reflect the government?
4. According to Aristotle, what is the greatest threat within any state?
(a) The poor.
(d) The rich.
5. According to Aristotle, what will be greatest amongst those of superior intellect and character?
6. Aristotle says the Lacedaemonians have a Council of Elders and another council with this name.
7. Aristotle says that it is important to treat those who will be soldiers for the state how?
(a) With enough education.
(b) With respect.
(c) With enough money.
(d) With enough property.
8. Aristotle says that the poor need to make sure they do what to the rich?
(a) Tax them.
(b) Take money and redistribute it.
(c) Protect their property.
(d) Include them in decisions.
9. Unarmed and lightly armed combat is typically the preserve of whom, according to Aristotle?
(a) The women.
(b) The young men.
(c) The middle-class.
(d) The poor.
10. In oligarchies, what is the group that needs special protections?
(a) The middle-class.
(b) The children.
(c) The women.
(d) The poor.
11. Aristotle says that in tyranny, personal power, and which of the following, hold sway irrespective of the law.
(b) Military might.
12. Aristotle advocates development of the spiritual character virtues within every individual as a means to what?
(a) Educate the people.
(b) Further the state.
(c) Instill pride.
(d) Create a sense of virtue.
13. Aristotle says that a lack of what, is the primary source of changes within a state's constitution?
14. For Aristotle, a segment of the population is given what term?
(c) Interest group.
15. Aristotle believes that the evil of selfishness is self-service taken what?
(a) Beyond reason.
(b) Beyond sensible limitations.
(c) Beyond the family.
(d) Beyond economics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aristotle says that kings and tyrants rely on personal power combined with what?
2. Dionysus of Syracuse ruled on what island?
3. In an oligarchy, Aristotle believes that there are normally what type of requirements on citizenship privileges?
4. Oligarchies, according to Aristotle, believe that inequalities of wealth indicate what?
5. Aristotle says that marriage needs to take what into account?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)