|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did one woman think the rescuers came from?
2. What did the Murphy children end out eating?
3. What did the survivors do with the buckskin strings from the rescue party's snowshoes?
4. How long did the snowshoers think it would take them to get to the first settlement in California?
5. How did the rescue party find the survivors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What troubles did they face as they waited out the winter?
2. What happened to Louis Keseberg?
3. How did the group members respond when it actually came time to eat one of their comrades?
4. What happened to the members of the Reed family?
5. What was the Reed reunion like?
6. What did William Eddy and William Foster find when they went to rescue their families? Who did they rescue?
7. What did the Miwok Indians do to help them?
8. What happened to Mary Murphy?
9. How did the Donner party story affect emigrants traveling West?
10. How did the members of the Donner Party interact when they reached California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did the group expect of the weather when they reached the Sierra Nevada? What decisions did they make, and what warnings did they have that they should have paid more heed to? Why didn't they heed the warnings?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the things the members of the Donner Party resorted to as they tried to deal with their hunger?
Essay Topic 3
What happened at the campfire that led to Patrick Dolan's death?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)