|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Virginia write about Lansford Hastings?
2. Why did Margaret trust Glover?
3. How many people left with the first rescue team?
4. Where did George and Jacob Donner and their families camp?
5. Who did Mrs. Murphy say they ought to eat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was happening to the group morale?
2. How did Virginia tell her cousin about the personal atrocities that happened on the trail?
3. Why didn't the Donner families camp with the others?
4. How did the Donner party story affect emigrants traveling West?
5. What did they decide to do for food in order to survive?
6. What did William Eddy and William Foster find when they went to rescue their families? Who did they rescue?
7. What troubles did they face as they waited out the winter?
8. How did William Eddy react to the plan that Williams Foster had- to kill the Indians?
9. What did the group do when they realize that they couldn't reach a summit?
10. How did Virginia inadvertently help the world hear about what happened to the Donner Party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the political situation in the United States when the Reeds decided to go to California. Where did the United States officially end and who had control of California?
Essay Topic 2
How did the group feel about the Native Americans? How did Luis and Salvador help the team? What happened to them? How did the team members react? How did the Miwok Indians help them?
Essay Topic 3
How did the journey to Independence, Missouri go, and what held them up? How did they feel about reaching the city?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)