|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did they help Jimmy Reed travel?
2. When did Mary Murphy get married?
3. What role did the granite rock have in constructing dwellings?
4. How did Tamsen keep the children occupied?
5. What did Louis Keseberg do in California?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the group do when they realize that they couldn't reach a summit?
2. What did William Eddy and William Foster find when they went to rescue their families? Who did they rescue?
3. How did the Donner party story affect emigrants traveling West?
4. How did the group members respond when it actually came time to eat one of their comrades?
5. What happened to Mary Murphy?
6. What did they decide to do for food in order to survive?
7. Why didn't the Donner families camp with the others?
8. Why couldn't all the survivors get rescued at once?
9. What troubles did they face as they waited out the winter?
10. How did the members of the Donner Party interact when they reached California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the group feel about the Native Americans? How did Luis and Salvador help the team? What happened to them? How did the team members react? How did the Miwok Indians help them?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what the rescuers found when they came across the survivors. What condition were the people in? Use specifics.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the political situation in the United States when the Reeds decided to go to California. Where did the United States officially end and who had control of California?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)