|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Louis Keseberg notorious for?
2. How did Mary Murphy's first husband treat her?
3. What kind of soup did they eat daily?
4. Why did Margaret trust Glover?
5. Why didn't the Piutes help the travelers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the members of the Donner Party interact when they reached California?
2. What was happening to the group morale?
3. How did they go about deciding who should be cannibalized?
4. What was the Reed reunion like?
5. What did they decide to do for food in order to survive?
6. What happened to Mary Murphy?
7. What tragedy struck once the first group of survivors made it safely to Johnson's Ranch?
8. How did Virginia inadvertently help the world hear about what happened to the Donner Party?
9. Why didn't the Donner families camp with the others?
10. Why didn't Tamsen Donner allow herself to be rescued for a second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What disrupted James Reed's attempt to put together rescue teams? How did he manage to eventually get help?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the political situation in the United States when the Reeds decided to go to California. Where did the United States officially end and who had control of California?
Essay Topic 3
What were the troubles that the members of the wagon train faced as they crossed the Great Salt Lake Desert? How did it affect the humans, and how did it affect the animals? What did it do for group morale?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)