|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did James Reed think they would hit the Sierra Nevada?
(a) By January
(b) By September
(c) By October
(d) By July
2. How long did it take the group to prepare to travel?
(a) A week
(b) Two years
(c) Two days
(d) Several months
3. Why did the travelers journey south after the desert?
(a) They were following the directions in their book.
(b) They were following the tracks of Hastings and his parties.
(c) They lost their sense of direction.
(d) They were looking for warmth.
4. How fast was the Donner Party moving along the Humboldt?
(a) 10 miles a day
(b) 15 miles a day
(c) 2 miles a day
(d) 20 miles a day
5. What happened to 13-year-old Edward Breen?
(a) He was lost.
(b) He fell off his horse and broke his leg.
(c) He was murdered.
(d) He died from illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the children suck on to bring forth saliva?
2. How many times had George Donner emigrated?
3. Why did the travelers want to get to their destination by winter?
4. How close were the travelers to the summit when they decided to rest and got snowed in?
5. Why did Bridger promote the shortcut?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the idea behind "manifest destiny."
2. What happened to John Snyder when his oxen team's yolks got tangled?
3. Why did some of the people in Springfield question James Reed's ideas?
4. How did the women feel about the decision, and how was their opinion factored in?
5. What happened with Edward Breen?
6. Describe what would eventually become known as the Pioneer Palace Car.
7. What happened to the oxen during the six days it took to get through the desert?
8. What was the Forty Mile Desert like?
9. What did the note that Hastings left tell the travelers? Was his statement valid?
10. How did Virginia feel about her traveling clothes?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)