|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Sarah Keyes join the wagon train?
(a) She wanted to see her son who lived out west.
(b) She couldn't bear the thought of having her grandchildren leave her.
(c) She would have been homeless if she stayed there.
(d) She was ready for a new adventure.
2. What did the travelers do before they headed across the desert?
(a) They rested for a few days in the beautiful valley.
(b) They wrote letters to send back to their relatives.
(c) They prayed.
(d) They made hats to protect themselves from sand and sun.
3. Where was James Reed from originally?
(a) North Carolina
(d) New York
4. Who helped with the chores?
(a) Only the men
(b) Only the women
(d) Everyone over the age of five
5. What did the Donners find along the trail when the groups were split up?
(a) Belongings from other wagon trains
(b) Reed's body
(d) The body of a man from Hastings' party
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the travelers journey south after the desert?
2. What was the Reed wagon later called?
3. What was the Hastings Cutoff trail like?
4. How many miles would the cutoff save them?
5. How with the group feeling by the time they reached the shore of the Great Salt Lake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what would eventually become known as the Pioneer Palace Car.
2. How did the Reed wagons do on the journey?
3. Why did each family have three wagons?
4. What happened to James Reed after he killed Snyder?
5. Why was Independence, Missouri so famous?
6. What would they have to do in order to cross a river?
7. What type of obstacles did people on wagon trains frequently have to face?
8. What happened to the group as they reached near the summit of Sierra Nevada?
9. What was "The Emigrants Guide to Oregon and California" like?
10. What happened to Mr. Hardcoop?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)