|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did they decide to take the cutoff?
(a) Hastings joined them so they had a guide.
(b) They didn't like the people going the other route.
(c) It was what they planned all along.
(d) They had a group vote, but they didn't allow the women to vote.
2. What did the skilled explorers find about Hastings shortcut?
(a) It was easier to travel than they had thought.
(b) Traveling it with oxen would be suicide.
(c) It was tricky in areas.
(d) It was fine if the travelers were experts.
3. What happened to Mr. Wolfinger?
(a) He went off to find help.
(b) He died from an infection on his leg.
(c) He became ill.
(d) He was found murdered.
4. What did the men do to the wagon wheels after crossing the Platte?
(a) They re-greased and re-set them.
(b) They sanded them down.
(c) They added metal to them.
(d) They completely dried them out.
5. How many people were in the group when it was at its full strength?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joined the Donner party as they cleared the trail through the Wasatch?
2. Who possessed the west?
3. What was James Reed's occupation?
4. What did Stanton recommend that the group do before crossing the Sierra Nevada Mountains?
5. How long did it take the group to prepare to travel?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)