|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the creature return with in Chapter 7 after disappearing into a cave?
2. What does Kate note of the drink she is given in Chapter 11?
3. How does Christopher describe the house in his dream?
4. How do the girls react when Kate introduces herself in Chapter 9?
5. What are the cooks required to do as part of the protocol of the house as explained in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Lady in Green offer Kate a drug in Chapter 8?
2. What does the Lady in Green ask for in Chapter 13?
3. What fear does Kate feel during the night in Chapter 9?
4. What happens when Kate begins to feel the weight of the hill in Chapter 10?
5. How does Kate try to reach Christopher when he is in a haze in Chapter 12?
6. Why isn't Christopher happy to see Kate in Chapter 10?
7. According to Master John in Chapter 7, what is going to happen to Kate?
8. What role does Christopher need to fill in Chapter 10?
9. How does Old Dorothy react when she is handed Cecily in Chapter 7?
10. What does Kate note of the servants at the castle in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What mystery surrounds Perilous Gard? What questions might one ask about the occurrences at the estate as the novel progresses? Do these questions get answered?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the historical context of the novel Perilous Gard. How does Pope incorporate the real historical figures into the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What are some universal archetypes found in the novel Perilous Gard? What are some other works where similar archetypes can be found?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)